Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Lol put that way you gotta wonder whether the whole "kill your best friend to ascend for me" thing was basically just cult programming.

fascists loving love loyalty tests

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Some fanart I found that made me laugh Harrow indirectly feels the warmth of another woman for the first time

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Ugh, flashbacks to being handed warm, soggy NY drivers licenses all the time.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Lol put that way you gotta wonder whether the whole "kill your best friend to ascend for me" thing was basically just cult programming.
It absolutely was. He knew you could Ascend without either of you dying.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It absolutely was. He knew you could Ascend without either of you dying.

Are you sure? I've wondered about this before

Generally I'm 100% on board with blaming John for anything. I think most of the seemingly-intractable problems in the series are things John could have fixed if he weren't the biggest and evilest fuckup in the universe.

But in the Lyctorhood case I do wonder if he just didn't know until Alfred and Cristabel did whatever hosed-up suicide pact they presumably did

I think it's very possible he doesn't know how to do Perfect Lyctorhood - that Alecto survived not because John knew a different better way to do it, but because he tried it the regular way and was just incapable of ingesting a whole planetary superconsciousness.

This doesn't let him off the hook since he still chose to gaslight everyone about it for ten thousand years.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

PupsOfWar posted:

Are you sure? I've wondered about this before

Generally I'm 100% on board with blaming John for anything. I think most of the seemingly-intractable problems in the series are things John could have fixed if he weren't the biggest and evilest fuckup in the universe.

But in the Lyctorhood case I do wonder if he just didn't know until Alfred and Cristabel did whatever hosed-up suicide pact they presumably did

I think it's very possible he doesn't know how to do Perfect Lyctorhood - that Alecto survived not because John knew a different better way to do it, but because he tried it the regular way and was just incapable of ingesting a whole planetary superconsciousness.

This doesn't let him off the hook since he still chose to gaslight everyone about it for ten thousand years.

look, he was really, really sorry about it.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

PupsOfWar posted:

Yeah I think the reason he detonated all the nukes was to kill the planet as part of the lyctor ritual

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

In that particular moment I think he was just really, really mad. The maddest anyone has ever been, probably. Not justifying it. But I don't think there was any long term plan at that moment.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

FuturePastNow posted:

In that particular moment I think he was just really, really mad. The maddest anyone has ever been, probably. Not justifying it. But I don't think there was any long term plan at that moment.

i was so mad i did something very bad and now i'm certainly very very sorry and would never do it again (has been doing it without stopping for ten thousand literal years)

sorry i kind of bang on about this but john is a triumph of writing, like he's ultra hyper hitler based on a flatly factual recitation of his actions, but you can't help but like the guy :shobon:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

sebmojo posted:

sorry i kind of bang on about this but john is a triumph of writing, like he's ultra hyper hitler based on a flatly factual recitation of his actions, but you can't help but like the guy :shobon:

He's an absolutely perfect villain

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
I just realized that it's a retelling of the Orpheus/Eurydice myth, except Orpheus doesn't turn around and so a vengeful shade named John murders Euridyce in an attempt to shank Orpheus as he takes the last step out.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
John is great because he spent 10000 years crafting his whole aw-shucks nice teacher persona, but deep down I think he's still an rear end.Not only in action, that part isn't really hidden, but mostly his personality.

His mask slips a little bit after he ressurects himself, he's all snark,arrogance, and brashness. I mean, understandable, he just died , but it's like a switch flipped and he mentally went "No more Mr.Nice Emperor " (I'm actually surprised he didn't just say that word for word).

The other time is when Harrow is questioning him about inconsistencies in his memories, and he just angrily dismisses her , going "That poo poo doesn't matter" and just keeps talking.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

i mean tbf he just got total protonic reversal'd, if anything he's fairly calm.

i think the bigger slip is when they call him on lying for ten thousand years and he's like, yeah, you got me, i'm so, so sorry, let's just carry on in this new state though? yeah? all good?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
"what can I do to make it better and earn forgiveness" nothing you colossal rear end. nothing.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Oh it's going to be so exciting when he gets his comeuppance. I wonder what form that will take?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

lines posted:

Oh it's going to be so exciting when he gets his comeuppance. I wonder what form that will take?
Something to do with the name of the series, I imagine.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Benagain posted:

"what can I do to make it better and earn forgiveness" nothing you colossal rear end. nothing.

lmao are we sure he wasn't a corpo?

We would like to apologise unreservedly for any offense we have caused. We love our community and have failed to live up to our standards and mission statement. We promise to do better and have made a donation to Skills4Skulls...

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
If he wasn't before, 10,000 years of administration has turned the turbo dial on the MBA brain worms.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

It's kind of a key thing about him that he was brain-poisoned by the world he grew up in. Of course he'd end up sounding like a corporate weasel.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Strategic Tea posted:

lmao are we sure he wasn't a corpo?

We would like to apologise unreservedly for any offense we have caused. We love our community and have failed to live up to our standards and mission statement. We promise to do better and have made a donation to Skills4Skulls...

he basically was, or at least was working for them. i mean they funded his cryo research

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
is the nona paperback coming out at any point?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It's been out for a while now.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Rand Brittain posted:

It's been out for a while now.

huh

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

I love the little confused Harrow floating in the last panel. I looked through some of that artist's other Locked Tomb comics, and they are all bangers.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Got an ebook copy of Gideon through a Tor.com mailing list a year or two ago and have only just gotten around to reading it while on vacation for US Thanksgiving, and this book whips rear end. Finished Act 3 last night and have half a mind to just roll immediately into the next book when I'm done even though I have so much other stuff to read on my Kindle. How easy would it be to pick up with book 2 if I take a break after book 1?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Don't worry, you'll be confused either way.

Take the break, lean into the weird.

mewse
May 2, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Got an ebook copy of Gideon through a Tor.com mailing list a year or two ago and have only just gotten around to reading it while on vacation for US Thanksgiving, and this book whips rear end. Finished Act 3 last night and have half a mind to just roll immediately into the next book when I'm done even though I have so much other stuff to read on my Kindle. How easy would it be to pick up with book 2 if I take a break after book 1?

book 2 benefits a lot from having the first book fresh in mind

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Fine either way yeah, though I'm a serial rereader so I reread the entire series every time a new book comes out, for any series I follow.

Notably wheel of time.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

There are some little details and foreshadowing in the first book but to catch all of it I had to re-read it after I knew what was going to happen.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

mewse posted:

book 2 benefits a lot from having the first book fresh in mind

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

There are some little details and foreshadowing in the first book but to catch all of it I had to re-read it after I knew what was going to happen.

This. There are so many small details and seemingly throwaway lines in all three books that mean so much more on a re-read.

C-Euro, Harrow the Ninth is super confusing whether you read it right after Gideon or not. It's part of the charm.
You sound pretty on board with the Locked Tomb, so I doubt you'll give up.
Just choose whether or not you want a shorter or longer wait before Alecto finally comes out.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I have a long trip coming up next month so maybe I'll scoop up a copy of Harrow to have on-hand in case the mood strikes me, thanks y'all.

And yeah this book is rad, I'm way into these manic pixie goth girls and their off-brand WH40k-rear end lives. My family keeps asking me what I'm reading and I'm struggling to come up with the right way to describe it, heh :v:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Lesbian necromancers in a haunted house usually does it for the first book.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

C-Euro posted:

I have a long trip coming up next month so maybe I'll scoop up a copy of Harrow to have on-hand in case the mood strikes me, thanks y'all.

And yeah this book is rad, I'm way into these manic pixie goth girls and their off-brand WH40k-rear end lives. My family keeps asking me what I'm reading and I'm struggling to come up with the right way to describe it, heh :v:

That's a great description! If you're minded, keep a log of what you think about the emperor as you read. Also this thread is rife with spoilers, so best to come back to it when you're done.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Just follow the recommended reading order

https://twitter.com/jademaomi/status/1538261791825727488

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I'm moving on to step 7 now which might explain why I'm still not totally out on John

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
John's a great, chill dude. It's weird how most chill dudes don't want to be called Emperor. Chill non-Emperors probably have some deep issues, you should not trust those guys.
I am writing this of my own free will.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

StumblyWumbly posted:

John's a great, chill dude. It's weird how most chill dudes don't want to be called Emperor. Chill non-Emperors probably have some deep issues, you should not trust those guys.
I am writing this of my own free will.

yeah he'd be a fun guy to have a beer with, couple of laughs, maybe a quick relentless ten thousand year vengeance campaign

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

this missed out all the interstitials which are not optional (or at least 'as yet unsent' is, the others are less so)

e: that tweeter is really good, just non-stop LT bangers

⚠️🚨 IS YOUR CHILD TEXTING ABOUT THE LOCKED TOMB? ⛔☠️

LMAO: lyctorize me at once
OF: one flesh (one end)
TBH: try being haunted
WTF: weak thanergy, friend
SMH: siphon me harder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Do we know that the bastards aren't out there still alive at relativistic speeds