Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Business Gorillas posted:

Don't worry every faction in AOS is getting a $100-200 centerpiece model now

It hasn’t been cheaper than 40k since like a year after launch tbh.

It got non-sigmarines factions and non-poo poo rules. Now people actually play it. I know fantasy grogs still going to hate but GW clearly won in like 2016-18 and are making record profits every year on just their two core lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

So does slaanesh just have a giant hole in their antilarge lineup? Should I supplement with outpost recruits?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Daemonettes and Furies are really good at killing basically everything, but they have spear marauders if you really want specifically anti-large. Heartseekers are also extremely powerful because of their flanking bonus (large monsters are never able to keep a cohesive front.

Generally Slaanesh doesn't need to specifically prep for who they're going to kill, it's just a bunch of glass cannons

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

KazigluBey posted:

Looks like that Age of Sigmar RTS failed to sell well enough so Frontier are going back to making their bread and butter, zoo/theme park sims.

Planet Coaster developer Frontier refocusing on sims after low sales of Warhammer RTS

Meanwhile CA has had to actively work against their own success, lol. I though Old World was for grogs and AoS was the shiny new setting everyone loves? What happened?

They made a game worse than dawn of war 3.

Army painter? Cool.
UI? Mixed.
Gameplay? Not amazing enough.

And the price tag.

wiegieman posted:

Spice Wars is really a sequel to Northgard, by the same people. You know what you're getting and it's executed very well; combat is only a single element.

That was my issue with dune spice wars. The RTS element seemed like a secondary idea. It isn't good. And one game length was way too long. Assassination was weirdly hard to ever pull off to never doing that.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Also why is my replenishment hosed? Do I just buy new daemons and throw them through the grinder?

Slaanesh plays with some rules that some people do not like to do. Your replenishment is recruiting and merging units.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Cpt_Obvious posted:

So does slaanesh just have a giant hole in their antilarge lineup? Should I supplement with outpost recruits?

You got some decent spearmen that can stop large units. You also got some chariots with high mass that can make things sit still for a bit.

Your cav also can handle a bit of it.

You just need to abuse your devastating flankers.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Hellstriders are a T2 cavalry anti large. There's also getting N'kari rolling(i.e. level 10+) and discovering he's competitive with Skarbrand. :black101:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Also, grognards is a fun excuse for age of sigmar, realms of ruin.

The truth is just that it isn't popular either due to gameplay or a lack of marketing.

I found a few streamers who played it, no one big, and none of them really were excited about playing it. They would always complain about stuns and responsiveness which were complaints about the game early on.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Sometimes a game is just bad. :shrug:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Sort of but in practice no. The endpoint of my Slaanesh armies is essentially a swarm of exalted daemonettes with some spawn mixed in to provide mass, along with cavalry of your choice for flanking. They have no dedicated anti-large units but daemonettes do so much damage to any large units that gets stuck in that it doesn't really matter. Devastating flanker means two heartseekers working in concert can very easily murder essentially any unit you can isolate and then you rinse-repeat. (You can also use heartseeker/Slaanesh knights in pairs if you want). Basically you are going to win almost every cavalry duel except against the very best in the game, and against them your heartseekers will live long enough that your daemonettes will overwhelm the cavalry. Your daemonettes eventually move almost as fast as some cavalry anyway.

Early game you do have hellstriders who come with a BvL of 5 and will let you do the same thing, except with marauders as your line.

Slaanesh damage output is so good that I never felt the lack of dedicated anti-large, really.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Thanks everyone for slaanesh anti large help.

Does anyone use chaos warrior infantry mid-late game? Or is it just daemonettes?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

exalted daemonettes are very nasty. I mostly ran them

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Does anyone use chaos warrior infantry mid-late game? Or is it just daemonettes?
I usually do make a mortal lord who uses mortal troops for flavor, but generally no, I phase my marauders out for daemonettes as economcy allows and don't look back.

Exalted daemonettes are some of the rarer examples of elite infantry in this game that can blender things so fast they take minimal damage, and they combo nicely with spawn. Between the two of them they have effects that give enemies a -13 to MA and -5 to MD, which bolsters their defense quite a bit.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Cpt_Obvious posted:

You can make due without them as devastating flanker is that great. If you want to use the chaos warriors, go nuts, they are good. The defensive one though with the whip is only really great as an anvil or holding cities.

It is just a thematic choice but the daemons are so good by their selves.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Third World Reagan posted:

I found a few streamers who played it, no one big, and none of them really were excited about playing it.

Janet on Occasion, one of my favorite TW3 streamers, streamed the entire campaign. The whole thing felt like everyone involved, artists and writers and voice actors, were just kind of doing through the motions. It didn't even look like the interesting kind of disastrous mess, just tepid and dull.

I think half the problem is that they insist on calling every goddamn thing by its full trademarkable name from Age of Sigmar. You can never just talk about 'the scouts' or 'our air support,' it's always 'our Vanguard Vexillor-Vigilators!' and 'the Dracothian Starguard!' You're not under attack by ghosts, beware the Nighthaunt chainrasps and bladegeists! It never sounds like anything that anyone would ever actually say, it feels like a toy commercial.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I played a beta and even setting my antipathy for the setting aside, I immediately thought it was one of the worst feeling RTS games I'd played. All the units are just sluggish and unresponsive, and the only way you can retreat your units is to get into melee first. The fights felt really bland too, lacking any of the flash and bombast of something like TWW or DOW2. Christ, I don't think it had any blood whatsoever. PCGamer wrote a savage review for it that pretty much echoes my short experience with the thing.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I used chaos warriors or hellscourge chosen in the middle and demonettes on the edge to wrap around and flank.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
slaanesh is at about super large front lines with flankers just swarming the sides once everything gets mixed in. will marauders die? of course but they knew what they signed up for, infinite pleasure and exquisite pain

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Thanks all. I think with the path I'm going to take that just using warriors of chaos with slaanesh is the way to go. I love the new horde and upgrade mechanic.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Do you have the champions of chaos DLC? It's extremely worthwhile for Nkari because he gets access to all the Slaanesh marked units, giving you chaos warriors of Slaanesh and sorcerer heroes. Run with a core of like 4 hellscourge warriors. They do lovely damage, but they poison and can hold position functionally forever while your squishy flankers get in position for ultraviolence.

Nkari himself is functionally a one thing doomstack. A top tier poo poo kicker on par with Skarbrand. He can and will basically solo most low tier armies.

Also if you want some video advice: https://youtu.be/De6PqZikaho?si=eYL_ISPy6YDS5x7e

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Thanks all. I think with the path I'm going to take that just using warriors of chaos with slaanesh is the way to go. I love the new horde and upgrade mechanic.

Actually, I should have clarified earlier. Are you using Nkari or Azazel as your LL? For the former it's all daemonettes all the time for me, but for Azazel I'll definitely use chaos warriors as the main force with flanking knights and maybe scattered daemonettes because of how their hiring and recruitment works.

Because of how wide your front can be, often the AI will try and shift to match what it perceives as a flank leaving even the center of your line able to flank, one reason I prefer daemonettes to a mix. An effective 70 charge on a unit with such a broad front is absurd.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Seeing Exalted Daemonettes rushing my front line is all kinds of terrifying. They are 100% an immediate target because they just mulch everything they touch.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lt. Lizard posted:

Sometimes a game is just bad. :shrug:

I was enjoying it. So I am bit sad it failed to catch on.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If AR is causing my daemonettes to take too much damage, I simply add additional daemonettes in proportion to my other units. They really are the most valuable unit in the Slaanesh roster.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

jokes posted:

If AR is causing my daemonettes to take too much damage, I simply add additional daemonettes in proportion to my other units. They really are the most valuable unit in the Slaanesh roster.
Yeah this may be their big downside (and why I eventually get a few mortal lords with primarily mortal troops for autoresolve fights). They are far better in manual fights.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah this may be their big downside (and why I eventually get a few mortal lords with primarily mortal troops for autoresolve fights). They are far better in manual fights.

I kind of don't like the alluress lord, especially at low level. Chariot lords aside from like Grom always disappoint. At least with the chaos lord he can still help in the anvil, and demon princes are really good.

pizzabutt
Jul 19, 2022

Cythereal posted:

They're talking about portals and keeps, so I'm assuming they're playing as N'Kari. I'm pretty sure the outright daemon factions have different rules from the WoC bunch.

Nah all chaos factions have the same rules when it comes to ascending lords to Exalted Demons/Daemon Princes, level-wise. The only difference is that demon factions do it thru an event while WoC does it thru their path of glory thing

Cpt_Obvious posted:

What other people said plus Exalted Keepers of Secrets are anti-large! Slaanesh Daemon Princes are also pretty good duelists plus they're flying.

DeathSandwich posted:

I kind of don't like the alluress lord, especially at low level. Chariot lords aside from like Grom always disappoint. At least with the chaos lord he can still help in the anvil, and demon princes are really good.

Heralds pretty much just exist to eventually get an Exalted greater demon, usually I keep one by my main stack so they gain xp faster. Slaaneshi heralds are so squishy tho that keeping them alive is a hassle.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

It is still funny that you can save demon lords to buy them in later campaigns

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
wow, I finally manage to make enough time to play the dang game with my big modlist and CA goes ahead and updates the game. Wonderful.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Medusa Missile Refactor; we weren't completely happy with the Medusa's performance following 4.1.1, so we've taken another crack at tightening up the play experience of the unit with the following changes:
Added a new missile animation where she rears up instead of leaning down to fire.
Reduced the collision radius of Medusa projectiles from 0.75 to 0.2 (shockwave size remains the same.)
Added penetration to the projectile (up to 3 small entities.)

Medusa's new attack animation in action:

Main Menu backgrounds now have the appropriate corresponding music.
Fixed the Vault of Nagash landmark building in the Black Pyramid of Nagash settlement not being available to the Vampire Coast.
Sarthorael the Ever-Watcher now uses the Lore of Metal in campaign.
Fixed Sarthorael the Ever-Watcher having the combat stats of a regular Lord of Change instead of an Exalted Lord of Change.
The achievements Man the Wall (capture all three Great Bastion gates), Celestial City Secured (capture Wei-Jin) and Reclaim Your Place (capture all three major Kislev cities) will now unlock in Immortal Empires as well as Realm of Chaos.
The Blood Brute Behemoth (Ghorgon) unit is now correctly tied to a rank requirement for the Daemon Prince faction.
Fixed an issue where the Lileath's Blessing stance icon was showing a very large tooltip on the pre-battle screen.
Fixed an issue where the Lileath, the Maiden technology had no useable effects for Drycha. Effects that are not valid for a faction are now hidden (as they were in WARHAMMER II) - which hides the Spellsinger capacity effect, and an additional effect that increases the minimum Winds of Magic power reserves an army can have has been added to the technology.
Fixed an issue where the number of available rites for Malekith and Morathi were being displayed as double the intended amount on the end turn dial.
Fixed an issue where magic items were being dropped in every battle, rather than with a random chance.
Dwarf Quarrellers no longer wield both their Melee and Missile weapon at the same time when performing certain animations in close combat.
Fixed an issue where dilemmas offering confederation with certain Bretonnia factions would be missing text explaining which faction would be confederated.
Fixed the Hammer into Anvil skill applying its effects twice to certain Warriors of Chaos units.
Fixed Repanse de Lyonesse not having the correct technologies in the Chivalry section of her technology tree (as she had in WARHAMMER II) and fixed a graphical glitch at the beginning of her technology tree that was meant to show a group around the Heraldry section.
Fixed a rare script breakage when the Upgrade Settlement Building mission was completed by upgrading an Ogre camp building.
Fixed a rare soft lock during the Formless Horror tutorial when skipping back and forth between sections.
Fixed Warriors of Chaos being able to construct Altar buildings in the Wei-Jin settlement in the Realm of Chaos campaign.
The technology Ferocious Plans now takes 1 turn to research for Clan Moulder, to bring them in line with the other Skaven factions.
Beastmen will no longer receive events that affect recruitment costs, as they grant no benefit to them.
Fixed Ogre Camps not increasing income from landmark Port buildings.
Task arrows for hidden allied AI armies are now also hidden.
Players will no longer receive multiple battle notifications for the same event, one after another. Building attacked messages should now stay visible until they are no longer relevant.
Fixed an instance where Ogre contracts would fail to be issued.
The Slave Pens building will now correctly reduce the cost of Diktats in the local province.
When using Slave Diktats, they will now be listed under "Diktats" rather than "Rites" in the Slaves tooltip breakdown.
Diktats now show the correct icons and descriptions in the province info panel when used.
Added a preview for the effects granted from certain dilemmas.
Fixed an issue where Flame Cannons would not fire if they had a rune applied to them pre-battle.
Fixed soft locks during the character rank up/skills tutorial when opening the objectives panel or when attacking an enemy.
The Lore of Hashut passive, Killing Fire, now applies its full damage as intended instead of only a single tick.
Fixed the Canopic Jars icon not displaying correctly in the Mortuary Cult panel.
Oxyotl's defeat trait will now correctly appear in the character details panel.
Yuan Bo's unique skill Celestial Administration will now also increase Dragon-Blooded Shugengan's recruit rank when replacing.
N'Kari will now start the campaign with the Harvester of Souls passive ability.
Boris Ursus's unique skill, Grand Builder, now correctly reduces the construction time of religious buildings.
Vilitch will now gain bonuses for high Winds of Magic if an army has more than 100 reserves.
Fixed the icon used by Snikch's From the Shadows skill/ability.
The Vampire Coast technology, Lord Two Toes Adley, is now correctly labelled as a Deep caster in the unit info panel.
Fixed the trait gained by being present in Vampiric corruption not applying replenishment to the entire army.
Fixed skills in magic lines for the Light Archmage and the Tzeentch Daemon Prince not requiring the correct amount of skills in the previous group.
Fixed male Cathay units not playing vocalisations when charging.
Fixed Thorek's defeat trait not increasing magic item drop chance.
Fixed the Bray Shaman Heroes not having the Many Limbed Fiend skills.
Fixed the Fire Mage on Sun Dragon missing the additional 10 missile resistance.
The Shadow Liche Priest on Skeletal Horse is now correctly labelled as a Shadow caster in the unit info panel.
Summoned Ancestral Warriors now have the Strider attribute.
Fixed the 8th Book of Nagash not further reducing construction costs via the Foster Terror commandment.
AI Tomb King factions can now recruit the Casket of Souls after performing the rite.
Handmaidens of the Everqueen now start with the Quicksilver Shot passive ability in campaign.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Huh. I didn't know this game had a medusa in it.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
J-Johnny Patches!?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Gort posted:

Huh. I didn't know this game had a medusa in it.

Dark Elves have had them since the Darkblade/Deathmaster Snikch DLC from Warhammer 2.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Doomykins posted:

J-Johnny Patches!?

They've cloned him....

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Third World Reagan posted:

Fixed an issue where magic items were being dropped in every battle, rather than with a random chance.

Nooooo, my Ikit could have been rich!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Tankbuster posted:

wow, I finally manage to make enough time to play the dang game with my big modlist and CA goes ahead and updates the game. Wonderful.

Ironically, I'm playing less because of this. Maybe I should try a more vanilla campaign, but the QoL from mods is just so much of the alure right now

At least we have clear messaging about their priorities with the game and evidence that they're seriously fixing bugs now, kinda like what they should have been doing instead of stoking forums drama. Please hire me for more community management advice, I'm apparently better at it than Sega or CA

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

The Door Frame posted:

Ironically, I'm playing less because of this. Maybe I should try a more vanilla campaign, but the QoL from mods is just so much of the alure right now

At least we have clear messaging about their priorities with the game and evidence that they're seriously fixing bugs now, kinda like what they should have been doing instead of stoking forums drama. Please hire me for more community management advice, I'm apparently better at it than Sega or CA

It seems likely to me that a bunch of dev / content folks would have been reassigned after the several reorgs and catastrophes at Sega and CA over the last month or two.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Muscle Tracer posted:

It seems likely to me that a bunch of dev / content folks would have been reassigned after the several reorgs and catastrophes at Sega and CA over the last month or two.

Yeah it’s difficult to interpret it any other way. People had been complaining for quite a while that Total Warhammer was being understaffed and subsidizing other projects, and CA was denying that, but then those other projects get canceled and suddenly it starts raining patches.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Tankbuster posted:

Most of them should still work after a patch, even if the launcher says they're outdated. If CA didn't touch anything that the mod does, it shouldn't be a problem. Might screw with your more beautiful mega booba topless medusas mod though. Even then it might not.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Kaal posted:

Yeah it’s difficult to interpret it any other way. People had been complaining for quite a while that Total Warhammer was being understaffed and subsidizing other projects, and CA was denying that, but then those other projects get canceled and suddenly it starts raining patches.

It's such a missed opportunity. TWW3 will be on an old fork of an inferior version of the engine forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

They're going to release the TWWH3 remaster soon