Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That version of the Doctor is half-human and normal mortal and has missed a lot of the experiences what makes the present Doctor the present version, on top of not being a full Timelord. I wouldn't mind revisiting him and rose sometime since they've surely become different people and had plenty of their own adventures by now, but seems like anytime there's crossover it's because of big bad cataclysm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
I mean, they already brough Tennant back post-regen for the 50th special. Capaldi showed up early in the same.

It's very much that kind of show

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Senor Tron posted:

When it will be very nearly 20 years since Smith was announced as 11, Jesus Christ time flies

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Fair, I was just thinking human-doctor tennant isn't 1:1 to the current version or backup of him, but whatever it's the same actor and can serve that same purpose of bring tennant back.

Apparently Tom Baker wasn't in as a proper doctor because he just wasn't available that day. I both wonder what he had to do that day and also why they hadn't scheduled that sort of thing in advance so relevant actors are available lol. If they're playing more with the fact doctors can intersect whenever, wherever if they want, I hope we get one more shot of the dude as the doctor. Doctor started old, let us see em all old.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Fair, I was just thinking human-doctor tennant isn't 1:1 to the current version or backup of him, but whatever it's the same actor and can serve that same purpose of bring tennant back.

Apparently Tom Baker wasn't in as a proper doctor because he just wasn't available that day. I both wonder what he had to do that day and also why they hadn't scheduled that sort of thing in advance so relevant actors are available lol. If they're playing more with the fact doctors can intersect whenever, wherever if they want, I hope we get one more shot of the dude as the doctor. Doctor started old, let us see em all old.

In the same interview from the picture I posted above, Tom Baker says he's "contemptuous" of the other actors and says he'd love to happen upon a table of them for laughs, lmao.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

And David Tennant will be older than William Hartnell was when the first episode aired.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

jisforjosh posted:

And David Tennant will be older than William Hartnell was when the first episode aired.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

In the same interview from the picture I posted above, Tom Baker says he's "contemptuous" of the other actors and says he'd love to happen upon a table of them for laughs, lmao.

ahaha then have fun with it, have him come back as the valeyard or a villain lol, that's really surprising to me. I need to watch his whole run lol.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Khanstant posted:

ahaha then have fun with it, have him come back as the valeyard or a villain lol, that's really surprising to me. I need to watch his whole run lol.

It's hard to tell how much he really meant it, because, well, he's Tom Baker.

I wouldn't even count on a ton more Big Finish from him, though. He mentioned his death in a poignant way during the pandemic, he's been quite invested in the plot of land where he will be buried, and he's 90 years old. Plus, like, look at the picture. I hope that he lives until he's 120, but...

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

There are interviews with Colin Baker where he’s been pretty open about disliking Tom Baker.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
It even made its way into Five-ish. "You call him".

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Sure he is looking his age, but I like that when he lost weight, his hair went from the short curly cut to it's former 4th doctor glory.

I love Tom so much, but mostly because I grew up watching the BBC Chronicles of Narnia miniseries, so he was Puddleglum to me before he was the Doctor.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
https://twitter.com/WhovianLife/status/1732415882935349560?s=20
https://twitter.com/tvukzone/status/1732436492465684761?s=20
The leak is looking more certain to the point I would say its pretty much a given at this point.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Let's subvert our first black Doctor by keeping the most previous one around, just in case of an emergency.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Post-Nu-Who

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

HD DAD posted:

RTD also considers the 2023 specials the “finale for nu-Who”, and Fifteen will introduce a soft reboot of the show, with S1/S14 starting after he’s been alive for a while already.

This seems so weird to me since I feel that's what the 50th anniversary already was. A catharsis to the original conflict that sort of drove the 9, 10, and somewhat 11 years. When the 12th Doctor appeared, I thought it was a break or reset from all the time war stuff that defined the early nu-Who era. 13 seemed especially divorced from all that stuff too.

14 getting his own special boy ending and a crown for basically being the most popular nu-Who Doctor is an interesting way to delineate an ending to that time period when it already seemed buried and done.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Harlock posted:

14 getting his own special boy ending and a crown for basically being the most popular nu-Who Doctor is an interesting way to delineate an ending to that time period when it already seemed buried and done.

Well yeah this is the reason: the 50th wasn’t done by RTD and had 11 being the special boy who got to talk to Baker, so we need to double back to reestablish Tennant as the most important Doctor

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
We have an episode title for Season 40: The Devil's Chord.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ruby’s potentially very interesting. From leaked set things we know she’s in contact with Kate Lethbridge-Stewart (they have a meeting at a restaurant), and the current 2nd season filming has a boyfriend showing up for her.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Ruby’s potentially very interesting. From leaked set things we know she’s in contact with Kate Lethbridge-Stewart (they have a meeting at a restaurant), and the current 2nd season filming has a boyfriend showing up for her.

RIP to that boyfriend at some point lol, modern Who companions don't have much luck with their significant others (I guess Amy and Rory going together is as happy as it gets, but Rory had a few goes at making it sad before that)

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Man those leaks were spot loving on.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.

Anyone with iPlayer access able to confirm what was in the commentary for us Disney+ watchers?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SimplyCosmic posted:

Anyone with iPlayer access able to confirm what was in the commentary for us Disney+ watchers?

Basically, the bi-generation thing is retro-active, according to Rusty. Every Doctor now both regenerated and didn't, so if he wants to bring Sylvester or Colin back for a story, no need to explain why the actor's aged.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

SimplyCosmic posted:

I know he talked about how he considers the bi-generation thing to be retroactive so every doctor has now bi-generated.

Probably just him running his mouth, but I am sure Big Finish will love it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

Basically, the bi-generation thing is retro-active, according to Rusty. Every Doctor now both regenerated and didn't, so if he wants to bring Sylvester or Colin back for a story, no need to explain why the actor's aged.

Okay, this owns, genuinely. Thank you, Rusty. Looking forward to the Matt Smith, Colin Baker and Freema Ageyman special and, along about 20 years from now, a.very old Eccleston embracing the chance to confront his former role in a way that he feels redeems it. Merry Christmas, Nick Briggs.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Just give me one last proper televised Sly story, I’m begging you Rusty

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Just give me one last proper televised Sly story, I’m begging you Rusty

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Just give me one last proper televised Sly McGann McCoy/McGann buddy cop story where they team up to stop an invasion, I’m begging you Rusty

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
https://twitter.com/intergalaticwag/status/1550877997997211648?s=20
Crazy someone leaked it so incredibly fast.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXgnqGTOXTE

Rusty has truly outdone himself. This is the most wackadoo RTD poo poo I've ever seen.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Finally much needed representation for the cannibal musically inclined goblin community.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
hahahaha YESSSSS oh my GOD the king is in town. Christmas number one babey!!!!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That loving owns.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Yesssssss. He's just going for a full on Labyrinth feel for Christmas hey.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Can't believe the leaks were true! All presented way better than described (of course) still feel a bit weird about it intellectually, but emotionally it worked!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also already kind of feeling it with Ruby being all "Oh no, the baby!" and the Doctor being "Oh man, these goblins are FASCINATING!"

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Right, so I made a mention in the main thread about a potential RTD "arc word" for the next season. (What's the preferred nomenclature? "Series 1"?). I was going to go digging for screenshots but I found this tweet that neatly summarises it.

Basically, at one point in The Giggle, Mel said, amid a bunch of hacking technobabble, "we're using Triad", and there's been fan location reports, thought to be from the finale filming block, of a company called "Triad Technology". There's some in-world advertising, and I gather there's at least some scenes set at their headquarters.
https://x.com/set_dw/status/1733581790877499613?s=20
So, uh, yeah, there you go. "Triad" might well be your arc word.

It might just be a bit of world-building background detail (like a "Henriks" or a "Magpie Electricals"), or it might be more of a major thing. This might just be me reading too much into it, but it does have a certain RTDian "Torchwood Archive"/"Archangel Network" vibe to it.

But with foreknowledge of having read this twitter account a few days before watching The Giggle, my ears definitely pricked up when Mel said the line.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

As someone points out, Devil's Chord is an episode title is a reference to the Tritone is another "3" thing.

14 and 15 encounter the Valeyard, perhaps?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

It might have something to do with Thirteen coming back if other leaks are to be believed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

PriorMarcus posted:

It might have something to do with Thirteen coming back if other leaks are to be believed.

Oh? I didn’t see this one - would love to see Thirteen under RTD.