Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ding dong ditch is not a universal name for it?

:wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
(american) ding dong ditch — simple and evocative, but shallow and childish

(scottish) chappy — colorful, silly. what does it even mean?

(english) knicky knocky nine doors — bizarre, incomprehensible. feels vaguely racist

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

ding dong ditch is not a universal name for it?

:wtc:

apparently not. but it is the correct name for it

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

(english) knicky knocky nine doors — bizarre, incomprehensible. feels vaguely racist

ding dong ditch is the only one that makes any sense

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol. Wikipedia is run by the biggest UK dweebs in the world so they posted all their shameful names for it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knock,_knock,_ginger

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

chap means to knock. hence, chap the door n run away

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i always called it doorbell ditch, but ring and run i like

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shaggar posted:

lol. Wikipedia is run by the biggest UK dweebs in the world so they posted all their shameful names for it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knock,_knock,_ginger

interesting how all the cases where this harmless prank ended up with kids getting shot or killed are from the united state or american

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Shaggar posted:

99% of this "article" is a big bunch of poo poo

quote:

Ginger, Ginger broke a winder
Hit the winda – crack!
The baker came out to give 'im a clout
And landed on his back.

:rolleyes:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Roosevelt posted:

99% of this "article" is a big bunch of poo poo

:rolleyes:

yeah the english are are cringe as gently caress

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

echinopsis posted:

interesting how all the cases where this harmless prank ended up with kids getting shot or killed are from the united state or american

strange that children wouldn't be stabbed to death for pranks on "knife crime island" :iiam:

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

shitface posted:

chap means to knock

no it doesn’t don’t make stuff up

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The name I always heard it referred to as a kid in the US was “n-word knocking”, so very racist

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

(quebec) sonne-décrisse [ring-fuckoff] — straightforward and uses charming local swear words in a load-bearing manner.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

shitface posted:

strange that children wouldn't be stabbed to death for pranks on "knife crime island" :iiam:

I have to assume it's a lot harder to suggest that you were in fear for your life if you have to actually chase down and capture a child. You cannot knife someone beyond a closed door.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Volmarias posted:

You cannot knife someone beyond a closed door.

:thunk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYwd0Wus5Ik&t=171s

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Oi, chav knicky knocky nine'd me doors

iirc it was just called "knock and run" where I grew up

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

this is a watch everytime

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

i bet he played Theft and Shrubbery too

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

3D Megadoodoo posted:

i bet he played Theft and Shrubbery too

lmao absolutely gunned down in a hail of bullets in any more civilized country

quote:

There would have been a gang of us – it would usually be Stavva, Bagga, Neil Overall, Gary ‘Cheesy’ Cheeseman, who had a very big head – the sniper’s dream, we used to call him – and the game was relatively simple.

“You had to creep into the back of someone’s house and observe the family watching the telly or whatever they were doing that evening. You would find a house where the curtains were open and go into the rear of the garden and then you would slowly walk towards the window trying not to disturb them and we would chant, increasing the volume as we went, ‘We do beg your pardon, we are in your garden’.

“You would creep closer and closer to the window and, as soon as you were seen, that’s when the shrubbery came in.

“You were not allowed to escape via the front of the property – you had to go across all the fences.

“As young teenagers, what you are really waiting for is for someone to make a noise or give you away so that you all have to run through all the gardens.”

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lmao absolutely gunned down in a hail of bullets in any more civilized country

how scared of life in general and children specifically before you become murderous would you say is required before achieving civilization?

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
in ontario i always knew it as knicky knicky nine door so wiki is correct

I honestly didn't know it was called anything else. Always learning in the pos.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

this is a watch everytime

Come for the broadsword cop stabbing, stay for the “I ain’t gonna die in no ghetto” monologue

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
“I ain’t gonna die in no ghetto”

-quote from man who died in the ghetto

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

The_Franz posted:

Come for the broadsword cop stabbing, stay for the “I ain’t gonna die in no ghetto” monologue

the guy doing the wavy knife thing synched to the music gets me every time, same for the guy just charging with a machete from half a mile away

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

MononcQc posted:

(quebec) sonne-décrisse [ring-fuckoff] — straightforward and uses charming local swear words in a load-bearing manner.

seems good

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The_Franz posted:

The name I always heard it referred to as a kid in the US was “n-word knocking”, so very racist

i heard that and "ring-and-run".

the imminent huh
Apr 6, 2016

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

just dance on the kinect ruled. I owned one just for that.

nobody on the entire continent of Europe knew what hackey sack was back then. 90% probably still don't.

i still have no idea what hackey sack is, and it sounds like one of those phrases you’re warned not to google, like blue waffle, etc.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

in europe we don't need a special branded thing to play with, we can just use a soccer or tennis ball and kick that around

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Hackey sack is when you take turns punching each other in the nuts and the first one to flinch loses

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
a ball of the aluminum foil from the burrito wrapper

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Silver Alicorn posted:

Hackey sack is when you take turns punching each other in the nuts and the first one to flinch loses

[hacks ur sack]

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

the imminent huh posted:

i still have no idea what hackey sack is, and it sounds like one of those phrases you’re warned not to google, like blue waffle, etc.

It's just a game where you have a small (think between ping pong and tennis ball) sack with loose filling (like a bean bag chair) and you try to keep it off the ground using only your legs.

Silver Alicorn posted:

But it's also this. That's the magic of language

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

rotor posted:

[hacks ur sack]

/hacker voice I'm sem-in

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Did defragging your hard drive actually speed it up or was that a placebo effect?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

barely noticeably

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Kitfox88 posted:

It's just a game where you have a small (think between ping pong and tennis ball) sack with loose filling (like a bean bag chair) and you try to keep it off the ground using only your legs.

But it's also this. That's the magic of language

this is an incomplete description. u also do cool tricks and catch the sack with various parts of your body. and if u get a 5-combo you grab the sak and whip it as hard as you can at the closest one of ur friends

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

we used to call it "knock knock zoom zoom" when i was a kid

edit - the door knock and run away thing not the punching in the balls thing

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol you meant the balls thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

the imminent huh posted:

it's a little town in new jersey just north of new york city.

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

we used to call it "knock knock zoom zoom" when i was a kid

edit - the door knock and run away thing not the punching in the balls thing

could be either, to be fair.