Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Silver Alicorn posted:

I'm working on a train for rockets
Better than a plane for money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
what about a plane for snakes

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

Sagacity posted:

Better than a plane for money
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SydUYF3Z0aw

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
i posted earlier about working on a lightweight embedded ethernet stack for a particular STM32 microprocessor on a commercially available dev board. i got it working and was happy with the results, and since it was a 40 year old open standard implemented on some test hardware we won't use in our actual product i suggested that we open source the code in the hopes that some other nerds might try it out and maybe contribute some bug fixes/optimizations/do-this-to-be-more-standards-complient kind of input.

unfortunately the safest answer for an IP lawyer to the question "can i open source this code" is "no". they work slow as gently caress in general, but apparently if you tell them that you're specifically not trying to make money off of something you get kicked to the bottom of the priority list.

so i got a nifty project that i can't share with the world. yet. mood::gonk:

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
did some tinkering with interpreting twine's ".twee" text format from decker:

http://beyondloom.com/decker/goofs/minitwine.html

trying to decide whether i should go further with it. maybe i could make a little "twine-player" contraption that can send events to the deck when certain things happen?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
That's neat

I just discovered CRT emulators and now I can do this

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Eyes Have It posted:

That's neat

I just discovered CRT emulators and now I can do this

what are you doing thjs in

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
did you know

you can actually buy terminals with CRTs in them and just use them

get a VT420 and an LK401 or an HP 700-series and go to town like it’s 1989 and your school or job hasn’t replaced their minis with PCs or workstations yet

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

eschaton posted:

did you know

you can actually buy terminals with CRTs in them and just use them

get a VT420 and an LK401 or an HP 700-series and go to town like it’s 1989 and your school or job hasn’t replaced their minis with PCs or workstations yet
i already have enough garbage in home reading your posts i don't need this thing

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
it’s actually pretty fun to hang a RPi with NetBSD off one, it feels very traditional to use BSD like that

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

i already have enough garbage in home reading your posts i don't need this thing

this is where you’re wrong

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

look at this glassy boy

it’s friend shaped

it may need a little fixing and cleanup but once it is it’s a fine fine term

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

the last televideo can be had cheap too, it uses a PS/2 keyboard and even supports a mouse and a window system standard called “ASCIIwindows””AlphaWindow”

eschaton fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 24, 2023

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

echinopsis posted:

what are you doing thjs in

Looks like https://github.com/Swordfish90/cool-retro-term

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Yep cool-retro-term is the one. Lots of options, too. I like the little vertical scanline that rolls across the screen.

My pi is burning so many cycles just making this work, it feels so weirdly & gloriously wasteful.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

you should get a TeleVideo 925

they’re cute, they work great, and they’re really easy to maintain and even hack (being 6502-based with socketed ROM, as well as sockets for extra RAM and charset ROMs)

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

The Eyes Have It posted:

Yep cool-retro-term is the one. Lots of options, too. I like the little vertical scanline that rolls across the screen.

My pi is burning so many cycles just making this work, it feels so weirdly & gloriously wasteful.

that's how i felt about running xscreensaver on my pi 3b. there's a lot of very neat screensavers (esp the ones you can tie into rss feeds) but a screensaver really shoudnt be pegging your cpu to 100 unless its also mining shitcoins

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I’m making a dota 2 custom game. the documentation is dog poo poo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Silver Alicorn posted:

dota                                  is dog poo poo

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

yeah

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

The Eyes Have It posted:

The good news is even with the cpu pegged it’s using far less power than a real crt does

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

but you miss out on the x rays blasting your face

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

I’m making a dota 2 custom game. the documentation is dog poo poo

just like dota 2

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

my custom game is coming right along

it’s sort of a roguelike where you pick a hero and run through a labyrinth full of randomly spawning enemies and bosses. you make your way to the end, pick up a macguffin, and then make your way back out fighting harder enemies. the map tools are kinda fun to use

I’ve figured out how to make dummy objects on the map as spawn points, so mostly now what I need is to customize the heroes and enemies. and figure out simple ai. it’s been a lot of trial and error since the documentation is so sparse but I’m making progress and I feel like a cool hacker

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

spankmeister posted:

but you miss out on the x rays blasting your face

on a low radiation crt, with normal exposure over a year, equivalent to eating 7 bananas per year

no idea why this fact is in my brain

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Silver Alicorn posted:

my custom game is coming right along

it’s sort of a roguelike where you pick a hero and run through a labyrinth full of randomly spawning enemies and bosses. you make your way to the end, pick up a macguffin, and then make your way back out fighting harder enemies. the map tools are kinda fun to use

I’ve figured out how to make dummy objects on the map as spawn points, so mostly now what I need is to customize the heroes and enemies. and figure out simple ai. it’s been a lot of trial and error since the documentation is so sparse but I’m making progress and I feel like a cool hacker

this is cool. what are you using to make it? did you make the art asset’s yourself?

I’ve been spending the last month or so learning godot and working on a little game idea of my own. but so far I am just working on the foundation of certain mechanics and haven’t spent any real time on a ui or level design at all, which tbh is the most intimidating part because I am not a terribly creative person.

my idea is basically a inventory management hoarding simulator where you exist in a ruined world and you have to survive by scavenging for tools and parts by salvaging what you find. so far I have a system for procedurally spawning items and structures and a way to define how they break down, the required tools to do so, and how your skills affect your work speed and success chance.

Ive also been playing with midjourney for textures because there is a —tile flag that will make perfectly tiling images, and you can also tell it to make variations so you can mix and match tiles making it harder to spot repeated patterns

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

polyester concept posted:

this is cool. what are you using to make it? did you make the art asset’s yourself?

just using Valve’s Dota 2 workshop tools. it’s a modified version of Hammer basically, and you can customize pretty much everything with Lua code. the assets are all from the base game, though the map is custom. it’s a nice diversion from having to make everything from scratch in blender, I can focus on the code and iterate rapidly.

quote:

I’ve been spending the last month or so learning godot and working on a little game idea of my own. but so far I am just working on the foundation of certain mechanics and haven’t spent any real time on a ui or level design at all, which tbh is the most intimidating part because I am not a terribly creative person.

my idea is basically a inventory management hoarding simulator where you exist in a ruined world and you have to survive by scavenging for tools and parts by salvaging what you find. so far I have a system for procedurally spawning items and structures and a way to define how they break down, the required tools to do so, and how your skills affect your work speed and success chance.

Ive also been playing with midjourney for textures because there is a —tile flag that will make perfectly tiling images, and you can also tell it to make variations so you can mix and match tiles making it harder to spot repeated patterns

right on, one of the more practical and innocuous uses of midjourney I’ve heard

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I've been doing the same thing with stable diffusion to make textures for 3d modeling. It's especially handy because in addition to generating stuff from scratch, I can feed it a reference photo, describe it, and tell it to make a tiled version of the same.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Sagebrush posted:

I've been doing the same thing with stable diffusion to make textures for 3d modeling. It's especially handy because in addition to generating stuff from scratch, I can feed it a reference photo, describe it, and tell it to make a tiled version of the same.

this is pretty cool… as someone with very little artistic talent, I’d be interested in learning more of the creative ways people on the forums are using AI to generate content like this. I’ve wondered if a pipeline to generate themes for websites and UI elements and such existed…
I know the coding side exists and people have created UIs using css and such. but I’m thinking more of custom fonts, custom UI elements and buttons, backgrounds, watermarks etc

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
i continue to find that the dumbest things i make with decker are among the most fun:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

shoulda been moose milkie

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

learning to work with the Valve AI system. it’s a nice diversion using a fully formed game engine rather than customizing a general one

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I’ve got it set up so the antimage boss can monitor your mana pool and cast his mana void ability when it gets below a threshold. now I gotta make it so when his health is low he teleports away and tries to use a healing salve. it’s pretty easy I must say

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Internet Janitor posted:

i continue to find that the dumbest things i make with decker are among the most fun:

Belongs in the louvre

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Can anyone recommend a good (preferably free) weather API? I need hourly forecasts going 5 days into the future, temperature and wind speed & direction.

Openweathermap.org seems real good but I've got no idea how accurate it is, there's also weatherapi.com but their website is buggy and seems poo poo so I have low confidence in them.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
quote is note edit

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

national weather service has one if you just need US weather

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

toiletbrush posted:

Can anyone recommend a good (preferably free) weather API? I need hourly forecasts going 5 days into the future, temperature and wind speed & direction.

Openweathermap.org seems real good but I've got no idea how accurate it is, there's also weatherapi.com but their website is buggy and seems poo poo so I have low confidence in them.

wttr.in is a cute page and might have an api. it's also great to curl

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
cheers, I'll check wttr.in out

It needs to be global (or at least UK so I can use it)

edit: lol I can just use Apple's WeatherKit (sorry android users...although the app will probably never be released anyway)

toiletbrush fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I've been using openweathermap.org for years, though I can't speak to its quality or accuracy as I just use it for a scrolling LED sign with the current weather/15 hour forecast.