Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

echinopsis posted:

the “happy days” of star wars

han solo is literally fonzi, if you think about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
wacky next door neighbor that gets all the latest gadgets accidentally discovers a lightsaber and, in later seasons, needs to raise credits for reconstructive surgery. but he fails, sending him down the dark side (sobbing while drinking bantha milk and buying a blaster that he's too poor to buy ammo for)

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

follow the misadventures of Lav Ern and Shur Ley, two single Mon Calamari ladies working at a bir factory on Mila Wookie XI

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
that sketchy kid from high school pretending to be a jedi, just so he can go about selling illegal death sticks hidden in the robes behind the library

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Bevv Erleighhilz -401.72, -561.84, 004.32

QR Code Geass
Oct 25, 2023

Beeftweeter posted:

the unspoken tension between realizing that droids are sentient but are used for menial labor tasks against their will

they get tortured to death with a comic beat

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

rotor posted:

King of the Hill but in the star trek universe

I sell dilithium and dilithium accessories

this guy turning out to be harry mudd

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

casual racism about jawas

antisementism

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

echinopsis posted:

antisementism

why tho

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ep 4? or 5 im into this eawsonY_ES¨¨love the small moments like when fuckin don texas tries to idk, oh private govt? im rich bitch but she doesnt say it she doesnt hace to tell this texas dingdong anything

all in for whatever the egg can pull off

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 16, 2023

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
watching reacher s2 and it's awful even compared to s1

but it's got people tossing around styrofoam and not even trying to pretend that they're actually cinderblocks, which is good for a laugh

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

antisemenjizz’m

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

family sitcom starring Han Solo's older brother Dan, who is a shoe salesman and former high school huttball star

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
finished wheel of time s2. got stronger mid-season, but the last episode fell flat. dream lady is smoking hot. worldbuilding is almost interesting, but it feels skin-deep. overarching plot is dull as dishwasher, and the way it’s being presented does not do it any favors. i’ll probably watch s3 if it doesn’t get canceled

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Roosevelt posted:

family sitcom starring Han Solo's older brother Dan, who is a shoe salesman and former high school huttball star

*audience cheers and hollers*

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
habba the hat strolls into the mos eisley cantina and strikes up a conversation with frasier crane

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
CSI: andor

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

echinopsis posted:

CSI: andor

man remember that fan film troops? would unironically be a better series than most disney+ poo poo

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

rjmccall posted:

habba the hat strolls into the mos eisley cantina and strikes up a conversation with frasier crane
shouldn't have drank all that benadryl, fraysh

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
that “troops” cops tv show spoof from 20 years ago could use a reprisal, remember that? where they shoot the running suspect in the back

simpler times

e:beaten like a jawa

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

rjmccall posted:

finished wheel of time s2. got stronger mid-season, but the last episode fell flat. dream lady is smoking hot. worldbuilding is almost interesting, but it feels skin-deep. overarching plot is dull as dishwasher, and the way it’s being presented does not do it any favors. i’ll probably watch s3 if it doesn’t get canceled

i was gonna cautiously check it out but i felt s1 was bad and ended lovely. it suffered from prestige pacing where it was a sprint through plot points and because of the limited episode run there was no actual downtime to do more natural character building.

i always bring up the expanse as a recent example of doing this well. its super easy to buy the rocinante as a crew because theres tons of little moments where they dont actually *do* anything. two of them eat lasagna together and talk about beaches for two minutes and its awesome. or one dude just makes a coffee in the galley but hes just chewing scenery the entire time and you get a really cool bit of insight into him just by his physical motions.

idk i just feel like most modern shows dont really have that kind of chill character development, everything is either expositional world building or PLOT CRITICAL EVENT no in between. ill check out s2 and see if it feels better but im not too confident

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

also i watched the strange new worlds musical episode last night. i loved it but if you hate musicals, you wont.

i dont even think its particularly good even, but im starting to warm up to SNW a lot. i think they are hitting a good spot of not taking themselves too seriously but also not being total fluff. not every episode is a banger, but theyre generally fun and wildly better than other current trek content

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
finally got around to watching better call saul, on the s1 finale, and managed to snooker my wife into watching and liking it too

i’d been told before, but great cinematography, and chill yet artful scene pacing. lots of room for characters to breath, the info trickle is just right, and they dangle things just long enough to be engaging yet have the pieces snap together while still satisfying

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

rjmccall posted:

dull as dishwasher

rjmccall posted:

wheel of time

you don’t say???????

(I have an unpicked bone with wot ever since i was gaslit into reading 5 books before ragequitting)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Kenny Logins posted:

finally got around to watching better call saul, on the s1 finale, and managed to snooker my wife into watching and liking it too

i’d been told before, but great cinematography, and chill yet artful scene pacing. lots of room for characters to breath, the info trickle is just right, and they dangle things just long enough to be engaging yet have the pieces snap together while still satisfying

Yeah I think it's an excellent show. Everyone I've recommended it to has found it too slow, which I suppose is fair... they'll spend the entire season on something that would be like two episodes of breaking bad. But boy I love the slow burn.

Wait until you get to the (REDACTED) in season 3. One of the best episodes of any tv ever.

Also Kimmy pls marry me 😍

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 16, 2023

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Kernel Sanders posted:

you don’t say???????

(I have an unpicked bone with wot ever since i was gaslit into reading 5 books before ragequitting)

i think it was the third book that made me realize that this thing wasn’t going to wrap up any time soon, and that’s when I found out that there were still 99 more books in fhe series(and counting)

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
so its star trek?

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Casual Encountess posted:

also i watched the strange new worlds musical episode last night. i loved it but if you hate musicals, you wont.

i dont even think its particularly good even, but im starting to warm up to SNW a lot. i think they are hitting a good spot of not taking themselves too seriously but also not being total fluff. not every episode is a banger, but theyre generally fun and wildly better than other current trek content

amen

i lost it at the klingon-pop

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

Roosevelt posted:

i think it was the third book that made me realize that this thing wasn’t going to wrap up any time soon, and that’s when I found out that there were still 99 more books in fhe series(and counting)

is it book three where they kill I-can’t-believe-it’s-not-Sauron and then it turns out the princess was in another castle

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Kernel Sanders posted:

is it book three where they kill I-can’t-believe-it’s-not-Sauron and then it turns out the princess was in another castle

that might have just happened in the series at the end of s2, if you mean the kids killing the chief of the forsaken but not before he freed all the forsaken. unless you mean it happens again with the actual dark lord, because lol this really is the most predictable dreck

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah I think it's an excellent show. Everyone I've recommended it to has found it too slow, which I suppose is fair... they'll spend the entire season on something that would be like two episodes of breaking bad. But boy I love the slow burn.

Wait until you get to the (REDACTED) in season 3. One of the best episodes of any tv ever.

Also Kimmy pls marry me 😍
i remember when it first came out the critique was that every scene was “slow” and it’s certainly slower paced than average. but things happen! each scene is deliberate and important in the grand scheme of the episode and the season arc! you are given time to consider who might be feeling what and why, and it’s not just wishy washy vague nonsense! no throwaway bits. in a sense it is a lot more like a noir or a stage play than a typical “prestige” tv drama, compared to say mad men

at least per the first season, which so far is pretty great as first seasons go. my wife never watched any breaking bad and it all clicks for her, which is something else tbqh

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I also never really understood the “it’s slow” critique of better call saul

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Kenny Logins posted:

at least per the first season, which so far is pretty great as first seasons go. my wife never watched any breaking bad and it all clicks for her, which is something else tbqh

maybe you can get her to watch breaking bad after you finish bcs. that would be a pretty cool way to experience it imo

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

some shows don’t have one of the characters explaining what’s going on at all times so it’s hard to properly multiscreen when watching them, I think when a lot of people complain stuff is “slow” this is what they mean

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I watch that Julia Roberts Leave the World Behind movie on Netflix and it loving sucks rear end

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

polyester concept posted:

I also never really understood the “it’s slow” critique of better call saul
someone was complaining the other day itt of a show or movie that was “too busy” in the sense of being like a streaming show. bcs is the opposite of that, and has a lot of pre-y2k dramatic technique and storytelling decisions, hence… it’s slow and boring and for olds or w/e

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

well-read undead posted:

maybe you can get her to watch breaking bad after you finish bcs. that would be a pretty cool way to experience it imo
i watched bb as it first aired and then after the writers strike and i liked it well enough but doubt it holds up the same. maybe tho. i still haven’t seen el camino and have not heard anything compelling about it

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Kenny Logins posted:

i watched bb as it first aired and then after the writers strike and i liked it well enough but doubt it holds up the same. maybe tho. i still haven’t seen el camino and have not heard anything compelling about it

i rewatched bb after bcs wrapped and imo it totally holds up. still one of the best tv shows ever made. el camino was just so so, i watched it when it came out and don't remember it well. i don't feel it really added anything important

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
just watched and enjoyed The Holdovers

it was not particularly groundbreaking or anything, but it was well-made and didn't take too many emotional shortcuts, would recommend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Kenny Logins posted:

it holds up. i haven't seen the end of BCS (i think i saw up to season 4, the legal language was too much for my wife) but we did watch bb (for the basically third time for me) and el camino and enjoyed that a whole lot