Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

John Murdoch posted:

Consider that you could farm clams for twinkling then take all the souls you incidentally get from them and turn them into even more twinkling.
If I really needed a ton, sure. I've never needed to do anything more than swing by the giant once to max out a twinkling weapon, using what souls I have and maybe popping a few soul items. I guess if you're planning on using a bunch of different twinkling weapons but most players just use one or two weapons for the most part, and rarely more than 1 twinkling titanite weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I mean it's been a minute but if all you need is to upgrade just a single twinkling weapon you can probably just find the stuff normally without needing to buy it at all. :shrug:

Outside of the really exotic stuff that's pretty much how material availability works in general. Not that big of a deal if you're just upgrading one thing, suddenly a giant pain in the rear end if you need a bunch.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'

Dabir posted:

The man-serpents are a soft "have you learned about alternative damage types" check. They have massive physical resistance, but they're considerably weaker to everything else. Any type of magic, elemental ammunition or elemental weapon will ruin their day. Worst case, you can try hucking some firebombs I guess.

Noted, thanks! What’s the best alternative damage upgrade path for this part of the game?

Minotaurus Rex fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Dec 19, 2023

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Noted, thanks! What’s the best alternative damage upgrade path for this part of the game?

You can find the lightning spear within the fortress itself, it's no slouch (I'm told, never used it myself).

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You also gotta get through a bunch of serpents to get it, though.

When I hit Sen's, I use pyromancy to deal with the serpents, or lightning spear miracles if I'm going that route. You could also have found the Astora Straight Sword, which naturally deals faith-based magic damage, or I think bleed still works on them. You should also have access to charcoal pine resin from the merchant in the aqueduct.

The actual upgrade paths aren't great in DS1. You'll want to take them if you're going for the achievements down the line, since there's a cheevo for maxing out each path, but in gameplay terms, they remove stat scaling and prevent you from buffing the weapon. And while they seem to have a higher overall attack power at first, it's split into two attack stats and resisted against by two enemy defence stats, which means it'll do less damage in many cases.

If you insist on using one, fire will be ok no matter what, but it's a bit of a pain to get to at this stage of the game. Divine and magic are easier but will be subpar if you don't have a relevant build.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Dec 19, 2023

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Dabir posted:

You also gotta get through a bunch of serpents to get it, though.

Fair enough. Pyromancy is a fine choice. I usuallt go with massive physical damage, though, ie. upgrade my weapon to +10, up my damage stats. And then go for backstabs or parries.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Lightning is great because very few things resist it and it adds so much damage you really won't miss the scaling. Also that free lightning spear is fantastic for parries and backstabs since it's a piercing weapon. Fire/Chaos is also good since it's effective against most enemies.

The big thing with alternate upgrades is you have to dig through the stats - if a weapon has low or no scaling, then it's good for elemental upgrading. I'm a big fan of the Lightning Gargoyle Halberd, and the Cleric starting class will find things like the Astora Straight Sword or a Divine-upgraded weapon stronger for the early game. Crossbows don't scale at all, so you can have a distance elemental damage option.

Or just get the Great Club and fuckin Captain Caveman everybody.

Byzantine fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 19, 2023

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I preferred the large club to great club. That lunging sweep attack was very good for pvp

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Speaking of damage types and resistances, is Smough immune to Dark Bead? I was fighting O&S with a sorcery build in ng+ and either I whiffed DB like 4 times or Smough just shrugged it off. Super Ornstein, however, took about as much damage from it as felt appropriate.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Frank Caskelot posted:

Speaking of damage types and resistances, is Smough immune to Dark Bead? I was fighting O&S with a sorcery build in ng+ and either I whiffed DB like 4 times or Smough just shrugged it off. Super Ornstein, however, took about as much damage from it as felt appropriate.

Smough's hammer is a full block shield, if you were hitting that that might have been the problem?

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

GodFish posted:

Smough's hammer is a full block shield, if you were hitting that that might have been the problem?

That's very probably it. Though I could swear I hit him square in the side. Oh well, I've got footage of the fight, I'll check it one of these days.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Dark spells in DS1 deal physical damage, there's no special dark element for them.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Dabir posted:

Dark spells in DS1 deal physical damage, there's no special dark element for them.

That's what I figured. Makes sense Smough's hammer is 100% phys block but when I switched to crystal soul spear, it let magic damage through.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
The answer to the snake head fools was just run past em maybe a lil backstab here and there. Got the lightning spear and that ring that improves drop rates. Happy days. Thanks goons

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
Now I’m in Anor Londo but I forgot the Peculiar Doll.. should I be running back to go get it or what? Also where was the key that opens that cage shortcut back in the fortress? Couldn’t find it. Really enjoying the game this time around, funny how it clicks like it does.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Now I’m in Anor Londo but I forgot the Peculiar Doll.. should I be running back to go get it or what? Also where was the key that opens that cage shortcut back in the fortress? Couldn’t find it. Really enjoying the game this time around, funny how it clicks like it does.

Don't worry about it for now. You don't need the doll to clear Anor Londo itself, and finishing the level will make it easier to go back for it

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Also where was the key that opens that cage shortcut back in the fortress? Couldn’t find it. Really enjoying the game this time around, funny how it clicks like it does.

That key is at the bottom of the tower where the merchant is. The one you have to jump across the gap to reach.

Go all the way down and there’s a hooded snake man guarding it.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
drat it, I used up all my humanity before O&S. Is there a way to farm it before and also is there a closer bonfire to the boss door than the room with Solaire in? I’m always putting my sign down but getting no summons for some reason, even tho when I did have humanity I saw a bunch of peoples signs. Also any tips on the O&S fight appreciated. Last time I beat them co-op, then ended my run shortly after frustrated and stuck in the painted world with no humanity, so hoping to power on through and finally beat this game this run (lost that previous save).

Minotaurus Rex fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 20, 2023

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Minotaurus Rex posted:

drat it, I used up all my humanity before O&S. Is there a way to farm it before and also is there a closer bonfire to the boss door than the room with Solaire in? I’m always putting my sign down but getting no summons for some reason, even tho when I did have humanity I saw a bunch of peoples signs. Also any tips on the O&S fight appreciated. Last time I beat them co-op, then ended my run shortly after frustrated and stuck in the painted world with no humanity, so hoping to power on through and finally beat this game this run (lost that previous save).

You can trudge your way back to the depths and farm the rats there for humanity, or try to get summoned for O&S and get humanity that way. Where are you putting down your sign? I find I get matches sometimes if I have my sign down in the Solaire bonfire room.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
If you really get sick of humanity farming, you can always DSR's item dupe/quantity glitches to get/use as many as you want. But don't default to that unless you're sure you want to skip a grind, and don't use it to powerlevel or you'll definitely make the game less fun.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
Not sure how even to get back to the rats from the Solaire bonfire, I’ll just try some more to get summoned I guess. I’m putting my sign down in the bonfire room. And I think I wana try get to the end of this run without using any glitches but that’s good to know in general

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Not sure how even to get back to the rats from the Solaire bonfire, I’ll just try some more to get summoned I guess. I’m putting my sign down in the bonfire room. And I think I wana try get to the end of this run without using any glitches but that’s good to know in general
The route, should you decide to take it after all: open the Cathedral front door and/or side door to get back to the big elevator -> up to the first Anor Londo Bonfire -> up the stairs to where you started -> the golden ring is still there -> gargoyle express back -> get cage key (see above) to ride down elevators in Sen's -> hoof it to lower undead burg -> Depths

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
Where’s the cathedral front door though? Thanks for the tips all btw!

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Where’s the cathedral front door though? Thanks for the tips all btw!

Opposite the O&S fog door in the big hall.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

For O&S the pillars are your friend. Make space and keep one of them blocked by a pillar so so Ornstein can’t chuck lightning and Smough’s hammer charge hits a pillar.

It’s a tough fight. They each have their own quirks, just got to give it some learning time and exploit them once you get some familiarity.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
That Covetous Gold Serpent Ring is a real game changer farming those rats for humanity. Getting like 3 humanities per run in the Depths. Noice

E: Well looks that 3 per run was beginners luck but it’s still much more approachable with the ring than before

Minotaurus Rex fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 23, 2023

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The last time I tried farming rats it was honestly loving miserable. DS1 drop rates in general are mean.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
Wow O&S were.. not even close to as tough as I remember them. Beat them 2nd try & easily, with an audiobook in the background. poo poo, have I finally gat gud?? I did have Solaire summoned too but man that fight was a weirdly piece of cake. Or maybe it was levelling up my weapon to +10. Satisfying! Please excuse my sickening smugness, am pretty pleased with myself tho! This is as far as I’ve ever got on this, my 3rd attempt, I just gotta finish it now. Ugh, whatta game

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I have been thoroughly enjoying your posts as you are finally getting into the game and learning to enjoy it. I am so excited for you!

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Minotaurus Rex posted:

That Covetous Gold Serpent Ring is a real game changer farming those rats for humanity. Getting like 3 humanities per run in the Depths. Noice

E: Well looks that 3 per run was beginners luck but it’s still much more approachable with the ring than before

Having soft humanity on you also adds to the item discovery, up to 10 humanity.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah, and if you can hold off on the big humanity grinds until you hit DLC, the last area of the DLC is full of an enemy with really high humanity drop rate.

John Murdoch posted:

The last time I tried farming rats it was honestly loving miserable. DS1 drop rates in general are mean.

As someone who's farmed up enough covenant materials to get all the rewards, it's fine. DS3 is far meaner. It makes you farm the new, stronger Silver Knights for ears instead of the relatively easy crows, and the drop rate is ridiculously low. Still haven't done any of the covenants in that game

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Dabir posted:

As someone who's farmed up enough covenant materials to get all the rewards, it's fine. DS3 is far meaner. It makes you farm the new, stronger Silver Knights for ears instead of the relatively easy crows, and the drop rate is ridiculously low. Still haven't done any of the covenants in that game

On the other hand like 2/3rds of the pre-placed loot is upgrade materials.

The offline grind for covenant stuff in 3 is easily the worst, but 1 is to me still obviously flawed in how stingy it is with even basic items. Really what it boils down to is that any farming is joyless for me.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 23, 2023

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Seeing somebody post about getting into this game and learning to overcome its hard checks is making me want to play again. I used to fear the capra demon, but O&S is my eternal wall. I usually spend hours putting down my sign and farming silver knights until I feel confident enough to tackle them. I'm guilty of spending my souls on upgrading armor though, keeping my slvl artificially low. Swear I'm not a pvp griefer (though your humanity is forfeit should you enter darkwood forest).

Try putting your sign more towards the door or even in the hallway, i think sometimes people might leave the bonfire room before your sign can appear to them.

I keep trying to do a strength, magic, or faith run, but dex Pyro and magic weapon is too alluring.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

On the other hand like 2/3rds of the pre-placed loot is upgrade materials.

The offline grind for covenant stuff in 3 is easily the worst, but 1 is to me still obviously flawed in how stingy it is with even basic items. Really what it boils down to is that any farming is joyless for me.

OK, for regular shards: The first blacksmith many people encounter in 1 sells them, and the nearest enemies to him drop them fairly often, so you get the steady progress grinding them for souls with the occasional extra hits from drops. Any weapon you want to try out, getting it to +5 is simple. In 3, I constantly felt like I was short on them. They aren't buyable until you get the Dreamchaser's Ashes, which are located behind an illusory wall, on the outside of a tall tower, hidden in the middle of a swamp, or the Grave Warden's Ashes, which are also hidden out of the way in the Catacombs of Carthus. They do drop from High Wall enemies, but since you can't spend souls on them, you're just rolling dice on your ability to upgrade.

For large shards: The Depths bonfire has slimes, which drop them at a low rate but are very easy to farm, and as soon as you hit Blighttown you have the big handy leech pool, which as well as dropping them constantly, lets you get green shards by the dozen. If you don't need greens, you can break those ones down into regulars, so at that point upgrading to +5 to try things out goes from simple to trivial. In 3, they drop from Silver Knights and motherfucking bonewheels.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The only enemy that makes me nervous still is the hydra in Darkroot Garden, due to it looking horrifying, plus having to get close to a dark abyss, that’s easy to fall into, to cut its heads off.

I know it’s easy and not even a real boss but I always have trouble with it. The one in Ash Lake is easier to me since I could see where the shore turns into a death pit.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You can see the edge of the pit in Darkroot too, you just have to look down.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dabir posted:

You can see the edge of the pit in Darkroot too, you just have to look down.

I know but it’s still hard to see for me. I have to spend that fight looking down most of it.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Dabir posted:

For large shards: The Depths bonfire has slimes, which drop them at a low rate but are very easy to farm, and as soon as you hit Blighttown you have the big handy leech pool, which as well as dropping them constantly, lets you get green shards by the dozen. If you don't need greens, you can break those ones down into regulars, so at that point upgrading to +5 to try things out goes from simple to trivial. In 3, they drop from Silver Knights and motherfucking bonewheels.

You can buy them from the Sen's Tower merchant

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That too, but that's considerably later than your chance to farm them would be so I didn't bother mentioning it. The ashes for buying them in 3 are in the same area as the enemy you're farming them from, and they're pretty expensive in both games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I just plain don't remember having resource issues in 3. :shrug: I think I maybe farmed out all of like one large shard? chunk? from early Lothric/Garden because I was close to another upgrade. Merchant supplies were never a huge consideration for regular titanite; different story for twinkling and scales. I'd say maybe it's down to if and when you find Smouldering Lake, as I remember that having the most significant concentration, but I also remember scoffing at just how much they throw at you down there because I didn't need more at that point.

Small shards are zero issue in 1. Large shards are hypothetically plentiful but I don't like any of the sources. I still can't fathom how the slimes caught on because the drop rate is dire and I've yet to be playing a build that can effortlessly clear them fast enough to make it worth it. Leeches are the way to go, or if I have Sens access the lone Berenike Knight up there has an 80~% rate with GSR and 10 humanity, but either way it's mind-numbingly tedious.

And then you hit chunks where haha there's no way to buy them at all, gently caress you. Better start farming Darkwraiths!

In theory if you're sticking to a single weapon you can make do with what's findable, just barely. Made all the worse if you give a poo poo about upgrading armor, which isn't even a thing over in 3.

I really don't think it's a coincidence that resource availability was palpably improved in 2 and further still in 3.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Dec 24, 2023