Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I really wanna play again for the first time in like half a year but I think about how the reason I stopped in the first place was cascading mod errors and how I'd need to either start from scratch or go through all like 300 of the fucks and I just :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I mean, the solution was just mentioned at the bottom of the last page

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
It's not a super cure all though, there's still issues. It just removes a lot of them :v:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

I miss the sun you guys

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
And you call yourself a goon

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

So a traitor showed up and it was really obvious because they just joined up on their own while I have like fifteen colonists. They betrayed us in the middle of the night by setting their own bed on fire, fighting my security officer on the burning bed, then catching on fire themselves :shepface: I don't really need another researcher but I might recruit them just out of pity

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

QuarkJets posted:

Having said that, Vanilla Expanded does keep releasing new cool looking poo poo, the latest one is a Lycanthrope xenotype. There's some meme bullshit in there like a gene that triggers your morph randomly but overall seems like a good pack of stuff

Makes me miss the Rims of Madness suite of mods: It had the lovecraftian poo poo, cults, victorian/steampunk stuff for aesthetics, the original bones mod, and then WoD-inspired vampires, werewolves, and a mod that added Giant Spiders

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I played with that mod collection and remember it having a lot of OP stuff in it. Which was sorta balanced out by stuff like rain and fog events that drove your pawns insane or rapidly aged

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

"I would like to have some old fashioned Napoleonic cannons in my base, is there a mod for that"

"Vanilla Expanded has you covered, but they come with Warhammer 40k dreadnoughts, a mercenary hiring system, and bodysuits that turn sweat into rum."

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

QuarkJets posted:

and bodysuits that turn sweat into rum."

real talk though wtf was that about

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Danaru posted:

real talk though wtf was that about

are pirate hulks not entitled to the sweat of their labor

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Archenteron posted:

Makes me miss the Rims of Madness suite of mods: It had the lovecraftian poo poo, cults, victorian/steampunk stuff for aesthetics, the original bones mod, and then WoD-inspired vampires, werewolves, and a mod that added Giant Spiders

Sitting on couches made of Star Vampire leather felt pretty loving baller, ngl.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Worshipping Bast and sacrificing captives to create Giant Guardian Panthers which you then chrome up with a pet bionics mod was also kickin rad.

e: Checking my old posts, yeah once I had a Cyber-Panther get hungry while out and about, and instead of coming in for kibble, decided to just casually kill and eat the closest wildlife.

It was a Megasloth :stare:

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 20, 2023

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
The raptors in one of my dinosaur mods have additional coding that causes them to pack hunt, which means that they can and often hunt clean the map when I have enough tame ones.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Having T-rexes and the "Hunt for me" mod is pretty fun. Just have giant dinosaurs roam the map murdering everything on it and bringing it neatly into your fridge.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Archenteron posted:

Worshipping Bast and sacrificing captives to create Giant Guardian Panthers which you then chrome up with a pet bionics mod was also kickin rad.

e: Checking my old posts, yeah once I had a Cyber-Panther get hungry while out and about, and instead of coming in for kibble, decided to just casually kill and eat the closest wildlife.

It was a Megasloth :stare:

Oh yeah haha I remember having a couple of those at one point, they absolutely shredded face even without chrome, send them to see a ripperdoc and I think you'd need an MBT to stop them.

So after spending all my free time today sorting out my mod options and actually starting a game, I gotta say regardless of other problems with VE I am immediately in love with Tribals. I almost always run tribal starts because I am a pervert who loves to start with nothing and claw my way up through the tech tree (Caveman 2 Cosmos my beloved) and oh BOY does this cater to that. One of the problems with tribal starts in modded games was always that mods would often start you out being able to build poo poo but VFE Tribals seems to have gone through and prevented the great majority of that.

We know how to build fires and draw on the ground. That's pretty much it, we have a wooden club one of my guys was carrying at the start and we aren't smart enough to dig a hole in the ground to poo poo in. It rules completely.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Coming up on two years of the long night, I don't think it's coming back :ohdear:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It's fine, just embrace being lord of the darkness and build a bunch of skullspikes and gothic architecture. :zpatriot:

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

It's just like having a mountain base, except mortars can still hit you.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Thankfully I already had a mountain base, and the lack of sun didn't harm my mushroom production :v: Visitors all scoff at the mushroom paste we're serving up, but I haven't seen any of them say no to it

My colony went from a nice colony to an rear end in a top hat colony, and is veering back into nice territory because I crashed the organ market and they're barely worth the effort of setting up harvesting operations :negative: Trading Expanded takes away, but it also gave me a contract where someone bought a cataphract helmet for over 1000% market value so I can't complain too much

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Ms Adequate posted:

Oh yeah haha I remember having a couple of those at one point, they absolutely shredded face even without chrome, send them to see a ripperdoc and I think you'd need an MBT to stop them.

So after spending all my free time today sorting out my mod options and actually starting a game, I gotta say regardless of other problems with VE I am immediately in love with Tribals. I almost always run tribal starts because I am a pervert who loves to start with nothing and claw my way up through the tech tree (Caveman 2 Cosmos my beloved) and oh BOY does this cater to that. One of the problems with tribal starts in modded games was always that mods would often start you out being able to build poo poo but VFE Tribals seems to have gone through and prevented the great majority of that.

We know how to build fires and draw on the ground. That's pretty much it, we have a wooden club one of my guys was carrying at the start and we aren't smart enough to dig a hole in the ground to poo poo in. It rules completely.

I just started a similar one (using No Starting Research instead of VFE Tribals) but for extra fun added Semi Random Research which only allows you to pick from three random unlocked research options each time you finish a research. I have made it to electricity but stil have not learned how to make beds

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I do like the early parts of the tribal runs where its just your handful of loinclothed primitive colonists grubbing around in the dirt and trying to accumulate enough pemmican and wood fuel before the brutal winters. It's kind of a chill experience.

And then a random drop pod drops like an assault rifle into their midst and suddenly it's like the monolith scene from 2001: A Space Odyssey

Heffer
May 1, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e-IMCcWdcM

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Does anyone have any advice on how to easily import my mod list from PC to my steam deck? Are mod lists synched?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Anticheese posted:

Does anyone have any advice on how to easily import my mod list from PC to my steam deck? Are mod lists synched?

No but saved games are so just make a save game with the mod list you want, load it on the steam deck, and load the mod list when you load the saved game the first time.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
That'll set which mods are loaded, but not set all your mod options.
You might want to grab your config files, that vary depending on what OS your other rimworld install is.
On Linux it's $HOME/.config/unity3d/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld by Ludeon Studios/
And I think on windows it's %USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\Ludeon Studios\RimWorld by Ludeon Studios\Config\

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Having the most bummer of a problem where my current colony is becoming an absolute chore to play because it normally runs at 200+ tps on 3x but is starting to randomly dip into <50 tps for 30+ seconds at a time before shooting back up. I can't pinpoint any particular culprits with dub's performance analyzer or rocketman so it's tremendously frustrating. It doesn't even seem to be related to the activity on the map, since sometimes it'll dip hard when gently caress all is happening.

I've done all the usual housecleaning stuff like getting rid of all my pen animals and burning/butchering all idle corpses but it hasn't helped.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 21, 2023

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

If it's not directly pawn-related then my best guess would be some sort mod of work type conflict due to one or more relatelee mods. For example I had a similar issue a while back where anyone or anything that did anything that called for drilling speed or whatever caused the TPS to drop by 150-200 which popped back to normal when they stopped. It fits the symptoms too of it coming and going (since the work type isn't being done constantly) and being very noticable when it does.

Granted the trick is figuring out which work type it is so you can strip out the related mods, and it might not be due to that at all, but hey that's the best I got. :pseudo:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Nothing going on in the log? It might be popping yellow messages that might pinpoint the issue without popping the log up.

Other than that when you hit a spike, try checking all your pawns and see if any of them are performing the action "Standing", it means they're trying to perform a job that can't be done somehow, and usually they'll try to do that job once per tick which fucks poo poo up entirely. If you futz with the work tab you should be able to narrow down which job it is and go from there

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Danaru posted:

Nothing going on in the log? It might be popping yellow messages that might pinpoint the issue without popping the log up.

Other than that when you hit a spike, try checking all your pawns and see if any of them are performing the action "Standing", it means they're trying to perform a job that can't be done somehow, and usually they'll try to do that job once per tick which fucks poo poo up entirely. If you futz with the work tab you should be able to narrow down which job it is and go from there

There are other weird interactions that can generate inordinate amounts of lag, like if you have animals flagged to be tamed, but the animal handler can't reach the appropriate food stockpile, whenever the pawn looks for their next job on the priority list they cycle through potentially dozens of Tame jobs. Each job runs a pathfinding check to see if the creature is reachable first, before searching the map for food (which fails and cancels the job) and then move on to the next job which also fails. So you get intermittent lag spikes, sometimes chugging every second and sometimes it runs smoothly for a while before returning to slideshow.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Yeah generally I have found that kind of issue arises when a pawn is trying to find something, can't, and it fires off 20 million attempts per nanosecond

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Bit of weird behaviour with Vehicles Expanded, I sent out a truck full of materials to build a road as well as survival meals and bedrolls, but only the driver and passenger would actually eat and sleep while the other four that walked just let their bars zero out :confused: They were definitely working and foraging, just not eating or sleeping. Eventually I sent out my badger and got the stragglers put on board which is when they started eating fine, but still wouldn't sleep, and the screen said 0 bedrolls were in use. In the end no permanent harm came from it although when returning, the truck hit a gorilla and ruptured it's chemfuel tank so it was really annoying to get back to the garage. Pretty sure that's not part of the bug though :v:

E: Also I forgot one of the road workers was pregnant and she dumped out shortly after coming back, I don't really want to deal with it but stuffing it in a growth pod is easier than firing it into the tundra with a bottle of vodka. I swear to god I'm going to start handing out vasectomies with the bionic limb onboarding package new recruits get

Danaru fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Dec 23, 2023

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Kanos posted:

Having the most bummer of a problem where my current colony is becoming an absolute chore to play because it normally runs at 200+ tps on 3x but is starting to randomly dip into <50 tps for 30+ seconds at a time before shooting back up. I can't pinpoint any particular culprits with dub's performance analyzer or rocketman so it's tremendously frustrating. It doesn't even seem to be related to the activity on the map, since sometimes it'll dip hard when gently caress all is happening.

I've done all the usual housecleaning stuff like getting rid of all my pen animals and burning/butchering all idle corpses but it hasn't helped.

I had a similar problem. No errors red or yellow, and nothing suspect in the log.

Turns out I had used some super OP crop fertilizer that was giving incredible growth tics. Once I got rid of that everything worked fine.

The morale of the story is I think you either have a job in overdrive or stalled out.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
Does anyone play Rimworld console version? I have put 9 hours into the PS5 version so far (after 1,000+ steam hours + the pre-steam era) and it's a really good port. It took me a bit of time to get used to how everything worked and it's a bit weird going back to totally vanilla but I'm impressed at how well they ported it over.

There's a lot more than just going fully vanilla that you'd have to get prepared for though, the maps are on the small size and apparently you can't create secondary colonies which is a huge setback to the game. Also, they haven't gotten the Biotech dlc yet either. But playing vanilla reminds me how angry I am that the wall light mod never got incorporated into the game.

I've enjoyed it and am pretty impressed at how well they incorporated the complexity of the menu system in the game into a playable version with a controller. Hopefully, it got more people into the game to experience it.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Danaru posted:

Bit of weird behaviour with Vehicles Expanded, I sent out a truck full of materials to build a road as well as survival meals and bedrolls, but only the driver and passenger would actually eat and sleep while the other four that walked just let their bars zero out :confused: They were definitely working and foraging, just not eating or sleeping. Eventually I sent out my badger and got the stragglers put on board which is when they started eating fine, but still wouldn't sleep, and the screen said 0 bedrolls were in use. In the end no permanent harm came from it although when returning, the truck hit a gorilla and ruptured it's chemfuel tank so it was really annoying to get back to the garage. Pretty sure that's not part of the bug though :v:

E: Also I forgot one of the road workers was pregnant and she dumped out shortly after coming back, I don't really want to deal with it but stuffing it in a growth pod is easier than firing it into the tundra with a bottle of vodka. I swear to god I'm going to start handing out vasectomies with the bionic limb onboarding package new recruits get

This is a known bug, and it's been infuriating in a Medieval Overhaul run that relies heavily on ships. That said -

PSA: Vehicles Framework just updated, and it's a big patch that fixes a lot of annoying issues. If you're doing a Vehicles run, update now. I'm not sure if the patch actually fixed the issue Danaru mentioned, but it does correct some extremely annoying ones like mixing up the inventories of pawns and vehicles during a caravan.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Kestral posted:

This is a known bug, and it's been infuriating in a Medieval Overhaul run that relies heavily on ships. That said -

PSA: Vehicles Framework just updated, and it's a big patch that fixes a lot of annoying issues. If you're doing a Vehicles run, update now. I'm not sure if the patch actually fixed the issue Danaru mentioned, but it does correct some extremely annoying ones like mixing up the inventories of pawns and vehicles during a caravan.

Ah thanks for this info! Have just unlocked the unfathomable clarketech that is wheelbarrows and chariots and crap for my tribals* so I'll sort out the update before I actually build any more stuff.

* We also learned how to dig a hole in the ground to poo poo in! Year 6500 tech in the year 5500.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Ms Adequate posted:

Ah thanks for this info! Have just unlocked the unfathomable clarketech that is wheelbarrows and chariots and crap for my tribals* so I'll sort out the update before I actually build any more stuff.

* We also learned how to dig a hole in the ground to poo poo in! Year 6500 tech in the year 5500.

Give us a trip report on the chariots when you use them in battle, this could be extremely relevant to my interests.

Also just as a heads-up, the new pathfinding they implemented seems to... I'm not exactly sure, take a while to warm up? I started up a devmode game to test out some of the changes they mentioned, and first my vehicles simply refused to move. Took a while for me to realize that they eventually would move, but only after the game had been running for a minute or two.

Now, I'm fairly confident this is a Me Issue that represents some incompatibility with my horrifying mod list, otherwise the steam page would be absolutely crawling with people complaining about this, but it's definitely something to be aware of.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Kestral posted:

Give us a trip report on the chariots when you use them in battle, this could be extremely relevant to my interests.

Also just as a heads-up, the new pathfinding they implemented seems to... I'm not exactly sure, take a while to warm up? I started up a devmode game to test out some of the changes they mentioned, and first my vehicles simply refused to move. Took a while for me to realize that they eventually would move, but only after the game had been running for a minute or two.

Now, I'm fairly confident this is a Me Issue that represents some incompatibility with my horrifying mod list, otherwise the steam page would be absolutely crawling with people complaining about this, but it's definitely something to be aware of.

I've noticed this too, I generally only see it on mission site maps since I don't move vehicles around much otherwise, but sometimes it takes a good five seconds to get the trucks moving. Between Rocketman and Performancefish I imagine it's all the pathfinding changes I've got going.

Speaking of which, I think this colony is the biggest I've had, with more pawns than I usually play with as well as visitors coming in to buy my cocaine, I still have yet to go below 200 TPS and every once in a while it goes above 300 and feels like when you're cutting paper and it starts gliding. Usually I would have quit playing due to lag long before now.

E: Thinking about how to fight the Apocriton threat to farm more chips without having the Diabolus...es that show up melt my damned turret wall again, and realized I can just get them in melee to interrupt their big rear end gun :cripes: My dudes are well armoured enough that they almost never get a bleeding wound, it's more that I hate having to rebuild my poo poo every time

Danaru fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Dec 24, 2023

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
If you’re going heavy into robots the Tunneler counters the Diabolus pretty hard. Tanky enough to last in melee but also a robot so immune to their anti-melee fire burst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
There are a bunch of ways to gently caress with the Diabolus if you have Royalty. Tons of versatility with the new equipment, and then you have psycasts.