Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

VATS [95%]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

haveblue posted:

I always liked assuming things like game drops were timeslices getting context-switched onto the CPU and the entire show took place in a tiny fraction of a second (not counting the admin typing "yes <enter>" in real time in the finale)

What about the games that had a user character they interacted with in real time

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i finished surface detail and it was really good. just have hydrogen sonata left and then it's ursula k leguin time

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I still haven't read hydrogen sonata, I like the feeling of still having another banks book left to read

I'm on shadow captain which is the second book of alastair reynolds' latest trilogy, it's a lot more dour than I was expecting "teenage space pirates" to read, I feel like he was originally going to write a YA series but then it became something else. the universe would probably make a good setting for a game though

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the content of hydrogen sonata is very fitting as the last culture book even if it was unintentional

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

qirex posted:

I'm on shadow captain which is the second book of alastair reynolds' latest trilogy, it's a lot more dour than I was expecting "teenage space pirates" to read, I feel like he was originally going to write a YA series but then it became something else. the universe would probably make a good setting for a game though

having read the series, i suggest you do too, and also don't expect any kind of closure.

the man writes endings like neal stephenson

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

haveblue posted:

the content of hydrogen sonata is very fitting as the last culture book even if it was unintentional

it is a good book to end on.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

infernal machines posted:

having read the series, i suggest you do too, and also don't expect any kind of closure.

I really liked the end to House of Suns

and not the end to any of his other books I've read

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that book stands out in a lot of ways.

not that his other stuff is bad, but none of it is as good

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

infernal machines posted:

yeah I'll finish it but I probably won't keep them. dude has serious problems with pacing, I only read the first book of blue remembered earth but it took them a whole novel of wandering around to both the moon and mars before figuring out "hey, maybe we should check out the giant space station our dead grandma who appears to be the architect of the whole plot left in orbit." in shadow captain I'm halfway through and they have done exactly two things and there's like 200 pages of "maybe something is happening"

the prefect [but not its sequel] and house of suns are definitely my favorites of his by a mile

qirex fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 21, 2023

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

well, look at how many pages you have left in the third book when the plot starts actually wrapping up

still, enjoyable stories and cool worlds.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
finally getting back to watching stuff on the Criterion Channel. First up is The Lady In The Lake, an unusual take on a Philip Marlowe story in that it starts with him addressing the audience, and the switching to a 1st person perspective for most of the movie! very cool. and it takes place at Christmas so good timing all around.

plus check this sweet collar:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

duncdunc

dunc

its a rhythm alright

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Chris Knight posted:

finally getting back to watching stuff on the Criterion Channel. First up is The Lady In The Lake, an unusual take on a Philip Marlowe story in that it starts with him addressing the audience, and the switching to a 1st person perspective for most of the movie! very cool. and it takes place at Christmas so good timing all around.

plus check this sweet collar:

They have a lot of good stuff on there at the moment, I enjoyed Metropolitan (1990) and Josie and the Pussycats (extremely 2001) recently.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/dfnbook/status/1737727419174518838

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

look at what was stolen from us

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sagebrush posted:

What about the games that had a user character they interacted with in real time

everything that happened in there was highly abstracted so maybe that was a frame on which the user made an input

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Carthag Tuek posted:

wait why was that removed, do they call french people frogs or something

i could swear i found a higher resolution version before but it seems to be gone

but i did find an uncensored version. no idea where it came from but it's uhh really filthy for a kid's cartoon lol (very :nws: language):

https://ia801501.us.archive.org/3/items/dexters-lab-rude-removal-uncut/Dexter%27s%20Lab%20-%20Rude%20Removal%20%28Uncut%29.mp4

anyway if i find the higher res copy i can just mush the tracks together. tbh it sounds weird without the bleeps but it's a fascinating find

e: oh hmm i found the higher res copy. it's hard interlaced and matted to 16:9 though, i will see what i can do. perhaps a little friday mini-project

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 22, 2023

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/pyrameadhead/status/1654606034541920257

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

distortion park posted:

They have a lot of good stuff on there at the moment, I enjoyed Metropolitan (1990) and Josie and the Pussycats (extremely 2001) recently.

josie and the pussycats is way better than it has any right to be

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

they found the D1 master tapes and are trying to find a working D1 machine to transfer the info off

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

duz posted:

Backdoor Lover :allears:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

needed something light and fun and was scouring for recommendations when I remembered, ah, I've only read like 5 Discworld novels. problem solved by Small Gods

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

lol

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
damnit it's Christmas weekend where's my Forged In Fire marathon

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Roosevelt posted:

crepes on a plane

lol

Achmed Jones posted:

the creped crusader

nice

Achmed Jones posted:

planet of the crepes

very good

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
has anyone said “crepe” yet

with “crepes” being the sequel

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

duz posted:

it’s very good

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

loving fine

THE NIGHT OF THE BLOODY CREPES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmaOzNK8muk

cw for intermittent boob and I think real open-heart surgery footage, they sure knew how to make a trailer back in the day /gougar noises

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

echinopsis posted:

they did, yes

mystes
May 31, 2006

echinopsis posted:

"crepe" with "the crepe" as a soft reboot

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Rebel Moon stinks in ways that you can't even expect

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

echinopsis posted:

The Fool posted:

Crepe
Crepes
Crepes3
Crepe: Resurrection

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

indigi posted:

Rebel Moon stinks in ways that you can't even expect

that seemed obvious and inevitable from the moment it was announced. would've been a small miracle if it weren't an utter pile

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
i was kinda hoping it would be good tbh, seemed like a fresh ip couldnt be hosed up esp. when it just looks like a silly action flick but then i guess its snyder so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

shockingly, the schlock factory has produced more schlock