Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Bush's Boston style (B&M style) are pretty ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Beanposting

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

maybeadracula posted:

At least their canned bread is still good

Now that's americana AF

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Unkempt posted:

Now that's americana AF

Boston Brown Bread is a cakey bread, heavy in molasses. It's not for sandwiches or anything like that.

It's definitely a regional thing but well loved.

Raisins optional.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Bush's baked beans have 12g of sugar to a half cup vs. 7g for Eel Island beans. Americans demand sugar!

Sure, but idk if I would trust a swarm of eels to bake me decent beans

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The British are so into Heinz they should make John Kerry Prime Minister.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
I mean Heinz makes the best ketchup by a mile

But not beans

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

maybeadracula posted:

Boston Brown Bread is a cakey bread, heavy in molasses. It's not for sandwiches or anything like that.

Raisins optional.

Hot dogs, beans, and brown bread was many a dinner as a youth.

dinahmoe
Sep 13, 2007

I watched this for far too long, waiting for Stan Ridgway’s face to pop out of the bowl.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I mean The Who were singing about Hienz in 67.

https://youtu.be/gRAEhYGuI6Y?si=3Lyy2_U7YjmsOCve

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The who?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

AARD VARKMAN posted:

In America baked beans are neither eaten on toast nor for breakfast. they are a cookout/bbq kind of food

I just want to say, beans aren't a standard part of breakfast here, but they *should* be. I tried adding them a few years ago and they've been a staple since then, they rule. Maybe they'd catch on if we renamed them Liberty Beans or something to make it more clear that they're okay to eat as an American :911:

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
If there's one thing Americans need it's more carbs at breakfast

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Beans have enough fiber that you poop out all the extra carbs

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

I just want to say, beans aren't a standard part of breakfast here, but they *should* be. I tried adding them a few years ago and they've been a staple since then, they rule. Maybe they'd catch on if we renamed them Liberty Beans or something to make it more clear that they're okay to eat as an American :911:

Beans are very much a breakfast staple in the southwestern US

And they're not marinated in loving ketchup.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I like my beans dried, and something I can carry in a pouch as I go on adventures, tossing a dried bean into my mouth once every awhile along the journey.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Captain Hygiene posted:

Beans have enough fiber that you poop out all the extra carbs

Beans, famously free of calories

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

redshirt posted:

I like my beans dried, and something I can carry in a pouch as I go on adventures, tossing a dried bean into my mouth once every awhile along the journey.

Depending on the bean you could be poisoning yourself. Red Beans (Red Kidney Beans) contain a harmful bacteria that can lead to illness. Actually all kidney beans have this bacteria but its more prevalent in red beans.

Its why you have to boil beans like kidney beans before allowing them to simmer. It kills the bacteria.

Lentils and other types of beans don't have this bacteria.

I don't think it can kill you but it can make you very ill. In fact most of the time people feel bloated etc. after eating beans is because whoever cooked the beans didn't boil them for at least 15 to 20 minutes to kill the bacteria.

Its why you should boil beans before cooking them in a crock pot especially if they are kidney beans.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Depending on the bean you could be poisoning yourself. Red Beans (Red Kidney Beans) contain a harmful bacteria that can lead to illness. Actually all kidney beans have this bacteria but its more prevalent in red beans.

Its why you have to boil beans like kidney beans before allowing them to simmer. It kills the bacteria.

Lentils and other types of beans don't have this bacteria.

I don't think it can kill you but it can make you very ill. In fact most of the time people feel bloated etc. after eating beans is because whoever cooked the beans didn't boil them for at least 15 to 20 minutes to kill the bacteria.

Its why you should boil beans before cooking them in a crock pot especially if they are kidney beans.

I slowly increased my dried bean consumption so as to become immune to the poisoning.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

redshirt posted:

I slowly increased my dried bean consumption so as to become immune to the poisoning.

You can't become immune to bacteria.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Hollismason posted:

Not with that attitude

Calypso
Sep 28, 2001

Grimey Drawer
https://www.google.com/gasearch?q=a...RTgW-0kph8,st:0

The only way to enjoy beans.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hollismason posted:

I'll take that bet.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

maybeadracula posted:

Raisins optional.

Brown bread owns (no raisins). I introduced my (Canadian) wife to it earlier this year and her response was “wow, that’s uh….dense”.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

King Carnivore posted:

Uh, no they’re not… british beans float in an insipid ketchup water, water a tomato farted on a long, long, long time ago

Despite this, baked beans as part of a full English breakfast is probably the very best English cuisine can offer.

drk posted:

That's shio koji salmon: https://www.justonecookbook.com/shio-koji-salmon/

Looks very very easy to prepare, i will have to make this soon

It's going to be a little tricky to get that marinade where I am but I reckon that would go great on the BBQ

gay picnic defence fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Dec 26, 2023

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I mean The Who were singing about Hienz in 67.

https://youtu.be/gRAEhYGuI6Y?si=3Lyy2_U7YjmsOCve

The guy complaining about Heinz in that video was arrested for child sex abuse

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Hollismason posted:

Depending on the bean you could be poisoning yourself. Red Beans (Red Kidney Beans) contain a harmful bacteria that can lead to illness. Actually all kidney beans have this bacteria but it’s more prevalent in red beans.

It is PHA, a toxin that causes vomiting and diarrhea.

The FDA recommend soaking for five hours,rinsing, and then boiling for 30 minutes to denature them shits.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Lake of Methane posted:

It is PHA, a toxin that causes vomiting and diarrhea.

The FDA recommend soaking for five hours,rinsing, and then boiling for 30 minutes to denature them shits.

I couldn't remember if it was a toxin or a bacteria but anyhow boil your drat beans.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
some random poo poo from Eastman Georgia

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

AARD VARKMAN posted:

some random poo poo from Eastman Georgia

I bet this place slaps

I stand corrected

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Usually, slightly sketchy holes in the wall BBQ spots have some of the best food. Not as an absolute rule, but most of the time.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Captain Toasted posted:

I bet this place slaps

I stand corrected

that looks like hair

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

They mean open in the sense of open source, like anyone can contribute to th sandwich

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Just eating my daily bowl of sour cream

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

There's a BBQ place in my home town that's in a Strip Mall out near nowhere and its some of the best BBQ I've ever had.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

redshirt posted:

INCONCEIVABLE!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Captain Toasted posted:

I bet this place slaps

I stand corrected
It looks like they vacuumed an orange carpet, grabbed a handful of detritus out of the bag, wet it down, and served it on a bun :barf:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
that looks like some seriously low quality bbq

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Usually, slightly sketchy holes in the wall BBQ spots have some of the best food. Not as an absolute rule, but most of the time.

Usually, yeah. I was driving to Indianapolis with a coworker when we saw Divine BBQ on the other side of the highway.
a hole opened up in the traffic and we turned in. It turned out to be really good food in a sketchy place.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g37209-d4081444-Reviews-Divine_Bar_B_Cue-Indianapolis_Indiana.html

https://www.barbecuerestaurantindianapolis.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Looks ok to me. Just looks very finely shredded. Not saying it doesn't taste horrible, just saying I don't have enough information to say just from looking at it.