Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Peteyfoot posted:

I switched from Longsword to Claymore. Is there a set of rings that will go particularly well with this weapon? I’m playing offline and plan to eventually hit fast roll via leveling endurance if it makes a difference.
This isn't specific to that weapon, but the all-around best rings for pretty much any melee character are ring of favor and protection(from killing lautrec) and havel's ring(from the havel's knight in the tower).
A bit below those two, wolf's ring(in darkroot) and chloranthy ring(in the great hollow).

Peteyfoot posted:

I'm also having trouble consistently executing the kick and jump attack moves (direction + light attack or heavy attack). Any input tips that might improve my execution?
Hard to say without knowing what's making you miss it, but I guess I'd say really clack your stick forward hard at the same time you press r1/r2.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
^^ Yup, I eventually settled on the claymore myself and was using FaP all game with the occasional Havel's. Was a big fat man using heavy armour&shield and mid rolls, fwiw.

The ring selection isn't that competitive in DS1. People make references to Leo ring gimmicks all the time, but unless you're doing that exact build, you're probably gonna be wearing the 'good' ones and only swapping out for specific resistances.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Dark woodgrain ring is the top choice if you're fast rolling.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I don't think I ever used these rofap. It breaks if you take it off, it's basically a consumable!

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

FAP ring is great, you can keep it slotted through the entire game. Maybe not optimal in some situations, but good enough.

Snuggly gives you a spare as well.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

ilmucche posted:

I don't think I ever used these rofap. It breaks if you take it off, it's basically a consumable!

Yeah I never use it either. Waste of a ring slot imo.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

ilmucche posted:

You have no reason to ever take it off, the benefits are so insanely good it's only really ever outcompeted by bellowing dragoncrest if you are a caster

+20% health, +20% stamina, and +20% equip are each individually great boosts, having all of them at once from 1 ring slot is nuts. Like, none of the other defense stat rings(steel protection, tiny being, stoneplate rings) are as good as +20% max HP, and that's just 1/3rd of the effect. Dark woodgrain ring is debatable but I'm of the opinion that unless you're doing pvp, the benefits of ninjaflip are not as good as having more equip load in order to access normal fast roll while piling on more defense-and if I was swapping out something for DWR, it'd be havels after I pump a lot of endurance.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Dec 28, 2023

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I have been enjoying the DS1 One Shot Challenge on youtube. Lemon of the Backlogs has set up a competition for his fellow challenge runners. The goal is to kill as many bosses, NPC, minibosses and non-respawning mobs with one press of the attack button or less. No glitches or exploits allowed.

Latest installment was by Baron's Castle, and he put up links to the other runners.
Watch on YouTube

These are nice, non-screaming, non gamer-words using, runners. I recommend watching JK Leeds for the really bad puns.

axolotl farmer fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Dec 28, 2023

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The Fap ring seems like some good poo poo in a vacuum, but if I’m running pyro how am I supposed to run that, the bellowing dragoncrest ring AND the drop rate+ ring???

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Thanks for the ring recs, I'll try a bunch of them out! I will also practice my kicks before I attempt to murder Shiva's bodyguard via gravity. If I gently caress up and aggro Shiva, do I just let them kill me?

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Peteyfoot posted:

Thanks for the ring recs, I'll try a bunch of them out! I will also practice my kicks before I attempt to murder Shiva's bodyguard via gravity. If I gently caress up and aggro Shiva, do I just let them kill me?

Better to kill them if you're aiming to get the ninja flip ring, they'll stay aggroed until you seek absolution. And if you're not invested in the cat covenant, it might be better to go to Blighttown where Shiva and the bodyguard will move to, and kill them there. No handy pit to kick the bodyguard into, but it's just the rwo of them (and mosquitoes). Also, you can buy poo poo from Shiva first and kill them after.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
So I took a detour from firesage to farm up 30 humanity and opened that door to Lost something, got the maggot hat that lights up the path ahead when you wear it, went a little further to the Titanite Demon there, died to it & then on the spur of the moment re-routed again down to the Catacombs. The Catacombs is a really cool area, much better designed that the janky fire bit I was at before. No particular questions today just giving an update for anyone interested

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Made it to blightown. This place sure is as advertised. Been ok going until I found the flying bugs. Hard to hit with my halberd. Eventually ran out of flasks and died on the water wheel boss.

Then the twins woke up so I went back to dad mode.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Beat the spider/chest queen on the first try! Hurray obvious attacks and long punish windows!!

I then proceeded to kill an NPC I thought I had to bust out of the egg. Whoops, did I miss out on anything cool?

Then farmed up a bunch of slugs to +10 two weapons and create a +5 divine morning star. Guess catacombs next? New londo is dumb and I don't feel like the fire place.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Mustached Demon posted:

I then proceeded to kill an NPC I thought I had to bust out of the egg. Whoops, did I miss out on anything cool?

Off the top of my head, a couple pyromancies you'd have to jump through some hoops to get anyway. Pyromancy upgrades, too, in case you've killed Laurentius and don't have the pyromancy flame up to +10 yet.

Edit: Also, Sen's Fortress next.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Mustached Demon posted:

Some sad lore if you jump through a bunch of hoops.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Frank Caskelot posted:

Edit: Also, Sen's Fortress next.

That's what the giant lizard said too. I wanna explore a bit more first before tackling the trap dungeon. I saw the pressure plate at the entrance I know what's in there!

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Mustached Demon posted:

That's what the giant lizard said too. I wanna explore a bit more first before tackling the trap dungeon. I saw the pressure plate at the entrance I know what's in there!

You're definitely strong enough for the catacombs, but climbing out of there will be a PITA without doing Sen's, and the zone after Sen's first.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
I think I read somewhere that Ornstein & Smough are the only bosses specifically designed by the developers to be beaten via co-op or with an NPC summon, is that true?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I don't believe there's any actual source for that.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Highly recommend the Dark woodgrain ring. Ninja flipping is just so drat fun and I'd rather have it over the bloodhound step in ER.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

LazyMaybe posted:

I don't believe there's any actual source for that.

That's what I suspected. People on the internet just saying poo poo. :bang:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
They're definitely not explicitly designed for it, but at the same time they put summons in the game for a reason.

It's not exactly a big leap of logic to even the odds by making the fight a 2v2.

IME, you more often see the extreme opposite where hardcore weirdos insist that summoning is badwrongfun and is some vestigial cruft that Fromsoft didn't really want you to use.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Dec 31, 2023

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Though I guess in fairness a lot of those dipshit takes have withered away as the games have grown more popular and accessible and the fandom evolved.

Or they're still all over the place and I just don't go on Reddit/Resetera/v. :shrug:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

There’s this guy who has been doing runs where he tries to use all the clues left to the player by the devs. Like using stuff left close to fog fates, summoning NPC and going the ’intended’ route through the game.

Pretty interesting take

https://youtu.be/V4udRpxoU8Q

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Oh, lol. Youtube has recommended that video a few times, but I honestly thought, particularly thanks to the similar-sounding "playing Dark Souls according to IGN" video, that it was yet another sarcastic take.

The end of the video is funny because I literally played all three games + ER more or less like this and had a blast. I never maximalized it to get every last scrap of #Content because gently caress dumping souls into Logan's spell supply or trying to perfectly line up all that Lautrec stuff, but I enjoyed experiencing (something close to) the full breadth of the game much more than clumsily blundering through it 100% blind.

Like he also gets at towards the end of the video, my stance has always been that for as much bullshit the games pull on you, on the whole they really do want you to succeed rather than just grind you into the dirt. Some of the gimmes are, ah, loving cryptic like going back to the Asylum before Blighttown to get the Rusted Iron Ring, but the ethos is still there. Nowadays people tend to parse it as a Metroidvania structure, taking useful item A from one area to counteract newly discovered bullshit X in another, but it's all mingled up in the old school dungeon crawl style and the big fuckfest of a family tree that is early video game genres.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I am a non-summoning melee degenerate and even I can see that summoning/magic etc. is fine. The game is a challenge and has no "difficulty mode", and instead they gave you loads of options. Sekiro stealth is another good example - you CAN run up and fight every enemy with honor, or you can engage with mechanics the devs intentionally put in the game to help you progress.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I've yet to summon because I usually die then forget to go back to human before the boss. Oh well.

Iron giant was a push over. Clearly weak to lightning so some yellow rosin made short work. Was even nice enough to take a knee while I just smacked away. The real challenge was the marble madness boss on the climb up. Anor Londo entrance hits so well. They definitely took inspiration from it when doing the lead ups into Ephael and Leyndell.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The “playing Dark Souls according to the IGN guide” series is cool and fun and good, actually. There’s some very silly and very surprising stuff in those.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah those videos are good fun. Lenny's a bit loud from time to time, but it's nice to take a look back at those silly old guides and the sort of things the guide writers would put in them.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dabir posted:

Yeah those videos are good fun. Lenny's a bit loud from time to time, but it's nice to take a look back at those silly old guides and the sort of things the guide writers would put in them.

Plus they’ve increased commerce in his local community!

And his mum is a treasure.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

One of the things I couldn't have predicted would happen as a result of idly trying Dark Souls almost exactly a year ago is that my youtube algorithm would become irrevocably soulspilled

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Draw distance in this game is wild. I fell off the roof during the Bell Gargoyles and decided to go farm some humanity to turn human and maybe summon Solaire/Lautrec. I got kind of lost and ended up on the Taurus bridge... and I can see my soul stain from here, right above where my sword is waving (potatoe quality due to handheld Switch capture to GIF):

:eyepop:

e: gif fix

Peteyfoot fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 1, 2024

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Peteyfoot posted:

Draw distance in this game is wild. I fell off the roof during the Bell Gargoyles and decided to go farm some humanity to turn human and maybe summon Solaire/Lautrec. I got kind of lost and ended up on the Taurus bridge... and I can see my soul stain from here, right above where my sword is waving (potatoe quality due to handheld Switch capture to GIF):

https://i.imgur.com/ypaZSQE.gifv

:eyepop:

Despite the game having several 'maps' that load as you enter them, your bloodstain is always loaded in, no matter what or where you currently are. This can be used to amusing effect to see how accurate in position the low quality distance models are to the real areas. There's more than a few places where dying will leave a bloodstain seemingly floating in mid air when viewed from across the world.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
I beat Capra Demon and came back to Firelink. I talked to Rhea and her bodyguards — how do I keep her from being murdered by Petrus? I’d like to have the option of buying miracles from her later.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Kill Petrus.

E: just realised how far in you are. Nothing you can do will stop her being trapped in the catacombs, but until you've rescued her she's in no danger from Petrus. He kills her when you kill any two story bosses after rescuing her. To prevent him from murdering her, you can either buy out her entire stock immediately (including the divine blessing), kill all the story bosses before rescuing her, or kill Petrus. Her stock costs 32,500 altogether.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 3, 2024

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Peteyfoot posted:

I beat Capra Demon and came back to Firelink. I talked to Rhea and her bodyguards — how do I keep her from being murdered by Petrus? I’d like to have the option of buying miracles from her later.

Don't kill Petrus while Rhea and the bodyguards are still at Firelink. They'll aggro to you, too, if you do.

After he's led them to the catacombs and returned alone, you can kill him at will.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

Dabir posted:

Kill Petrus.

E: just realised how far in you are. Nothing you can do will stop her being trapped in the catacombs, but until you've rescued her she's in no danger from Petrus. He kills her when you kill any two story bosses after rescuing her. To prevent him from murdering her, you can either buy out her entire stock immediately (including the divine blessing), kill all the story bosses before rescuing her, or kill Petrus. Her stock costs 32,500 altogether.

Thanks for laying all this out! I'll buy all her stuff later, I've always wanted to fool around with miracles.

Frank Caskelot posted:

Don't kill Petrus while Rhea and the bodyguards are still at Firelink. They'll aggro to you, too, if you do.

After he's led them to the catacombs and returned alone, you can kill him at will.

Actually murder seems fun and good too. We'll see what I end up deciding. :haw:

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

started up a sorc character last night, and somehow magic feels a bit … weak in this. weaker than I remembered it being in the original several years ago. I might be deluding myself, but I had this memory of getting taurus demon down in like three casts or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Oh man Nito is tough as balls. Any tips?