Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

are there any white people in it? seems woke to me

the wokest godzilla is 98 because zilla is genderfluid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I think Godzilla 2000 is acceptable but that might just be because showtime or whoever used to air it a bunch back in the mid oughts

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

G 2000 is great because the Godzilla suit fukkin owns.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It’s such a dull glacially paced movie though

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s such a dull glacially paced movie though

That's the difference between Millennium and 2000. The dub release trims about eight minutes, punches up the sound design, and generally flows better.

Makes the difference between a fun enough, middle-of-the-pack Godzilla movie and an outright slog.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Big Mean Jerk posted:

2000 and MegaGuirus are the only genuinely bad Millennium movies. The rest are either good or just average.

I'm in the minority here but I don't like the Kiryu movies either, or GMK.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Arc Hammer posted:

Artwork for the McJaguar, which is what I shall be calling the McDonalds Godzilla Mecha from now on.

https://twitter.com/McDonaldsJapan/status/1740658916491444441?t=EJZHRuC9CNPlgHkrNcmckg&s=19

Is this just designs for the commercial? Are they gonna make figures of it for Happy Meals? I paid $36 to get the McD Gundam from China! :3 Will need to get this if so!

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Late to the party, but I saw Minus One yesterday and could never imagine Godzilla being the premise for one of the best anti-war movies in recent memory - he's not even the villain in some ways! It touches on some *extremely* sensitive WW2 stuff from the Japanese perspective (Tokyo firebombing, civilian desperation, kamikaze, the government letting soldiers starve to death, brainwashed youth, etc.), and the soundtrack/score is unbelievable. I teared the gently caress up during this scene when he puts the photo of Noriko in his cockpit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fylCln00s0M

Also, MY WIFE is Japanese, and within two weeks we saw both this and the new Miyazaki flick with the kiddo. We all agreed that this was much, much better in terms of story, messaging, pacing, etc. Totally unexpected.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
2000:
-Tries to clown on Godzilla 1998 while not being much of an improvement.
-Its own American edit is shamefully better despite racist ‘too good for this poo poo’ vibes.
-Ogra is literally a rejected Mechagodzilla concept.
-Muddled “CGI is bad” metanarrative.

The G Annihilation Strategy:
-Maybe I’ll actually watch this eventually.

GMK:
-The entire “mythical guardian monsters” aspect is totally underwhelming. (Where’s King Caesar?)
-Any movie where Ghidorah and/or Mechagodzilla are the good guys is automatically sus.
-Especially after GvKG.
-Jurassic World-style metanarrative about the franchise’s own relevance. “Does anyone even care about Godzilla anymore?” Yes, idiot!!!
-Another uncool jab at Godzilla 1998.

GxMG / Tokyo SOS:
-Solves the tricky ‘good-guy Mechagodzilla’ problem by making him a mech literally piloted by Godzilla.
-Actually-good version of Final Wars fan-referential silliness.

Final Wars:
-Okay, I now understand the assertion that Godzilla’s not relevant anymore.
-Zilla finally shows up fr and they don’t even have the gumption to do a good fight scene with them.
-Bigtime “I’m performatively upset about The Phantom Menace” movie.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Apparently the decision to include Zilla in Final Wars was basically a last minute decision, which is both why his scenes are so short and why his CGI is so shoddy(they didn't have time to make a from scratch model so they just scanned one of the Trendmasters toys)

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Final Wars is one of my favorite things to watch when transcribing or editing, because it is a film where you don't need any dialogue and there's always something interesting/funny happening on screen. I'm glad it exists.

Now, Godzilla 2000? I just rewatched it tonight, and it really is boring for long parts. Somehow, a giant floating bidet does not make for a very exciting foe.

And I know it's a dead horse at this point, but the CGI is REALLY bad here. Like, some of the ugliest shots in the whole series. Which is weird, because there are also some composite shots that look amazing, especially in the beginning. That shot of the main characters riding in the car while we see Godzilla going about its business in the flame lit background is fantastic! But for every scene like that, there's Godzilla floating over a very clearly green screened beach and it looks awful!

Also rewatched Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster, and it's still fantastic. It has this super cool 60s comic book vibe that I deeply enjoy, fun protagonists and a killer score. It's some premium pop art!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Godzilla 2000 suffers a bit in that its goal was just to bring back the "true" Godzilla and make a proper traditional Godzilla movie.

And like, okay, you've done that, now what? It's like the end of the "Itchy and Scratchy and Poochie" episode where the kids see Itchy and Scratchy are back to normal and are like "let's see what else is on."

It isn't really about much of anything and while not every G movie is about the subtext, it feels a bit aimless. I do sometimes think there's a coded riff on the American G movie in there- an alien invader comes and tries to "copy" Godzilla- but I also suspect that if that was ever the intention Toho had it played down because they still had a contract with Sony and c'mon guys let's not make waves. What's left is about, I dunno, computers?

It's not bad but you compare it with, say, The Return of Godzilla being about renewed Cold War escalation and Shin being about the Fukushima disaster and so on and it's missing something.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Ok Minus One hype was real, what a picture!
I'd be curious to get a feeling for how much it dwells on nostalgia for the og godzilla tho. It also feels like it works on similar national vibes to like ID4 but less grunt hoorah.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Honest Thief posted:

I'd be curious to get a feeling for how much it dwells on nostalgia for the og godzilla tho. It also feels like it works on similar national vibes to like ID4 but less grunt hoorah.

I mean, the ending is basically the ending of ID4, only the Randy Quaid equivalent actually used his ejection seat

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Asterite34 posted:

I mean, the ending is basically the ending of ID4, only the Randy Quaid equivalent actually used his ejection seat

it would be improved if he went hey, boy, I'm baaaack!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Maxwell Lord posted:

Godzilla 2000 suffers a bit in that its goal was just to bring back the "true" Godzilla and make a proper traditional Godzilla movie.

And like, okay, you've done that, now what? It's like the end of the "Itchy and Scratchy and Poochie" episode where the kids see Itchy and Scratchy are back to normal and are like "let's see what else is on."

It isn't really about much of anything and while not every G movie is about the subtext, it feels a bit aimless. I do sometimes think there's a coded riff on the American G movie in there- an alien invader comes and tries to "copy" Godzilla- but I also suspect that if that was ever the intention Toho had it played down because they still had a contract with Sony and c'mon guys let's not make waves. What's left is about, I dunno, computers?

It's not bad but you compare it with, say, The Return of Godzilla being about renewed Cold War escalation and Shin being about the Fukushima disaster and so on and it's missing something.

The plot of Godzilla 2000 is some pretty straightforward stuff where aliens similar to the ones from Independence Day want to terraform the earth while also thirsting for 'information' as the means of achieving that goal. It's an alien invasion story where, as usual, the aliens just represent the dark side of humanity (e.g. the guys building Full Metal Missiles while the Godzilla Prediction Network remains critically underfunded - but also the GPN itself as it attempts to just 'neutrally' catalog Godzilla information).

It just illustrates the importance of human characters in a Godzilla movie, because these guys don't really do anything, besides investigate and deliver exposition about the above plotline.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Honest Thief posted:

Which is what makes it feel like the most American Godzilla (outside of '98) despite simultaneously being extremely Japanese.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

lmao (don't click if you still haven't watched Minus One and don't want any spoilers at all)

https://x.com/AtoZmemories/status/1741681505573929034?s=20

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Watched Godzilla's Revenge tonight.

It's weird. That's about the simplest way to describe it. A kid's adventure intercut with Monster Island stock footage, coming in barely over an hour, it's not even as bad as I heard. It's just... weird. No great action, the protagonist is kind of a jerk without being compelling about it, and the plot is thin even aside from the minimal time devoted to it. It has some character growth for Manilla and Ishiro, but that's about it for the selling points. But...

Well, it's interesting. A light coming of age drama where a kid gets the courage to stand up to his bullies through child endangerment and hallucinations, it moves quick enough and has some nice moments with the parents to sell their family dynamic. Both parents love Ishiro and hate how work leaves him alone, but also don't see what else they can do if they want to ensure a better future for him.

I'm not saying it's an underappreciated gem. I'm not even saying it's something to seek out even if it's streaming for free, unless you're trying for a complete series run. But I expected something terrible and painful, and instead got something that went down pretty smooth.

Guess it's another lesson in the importance of expectations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Toho wanted a Godzilla movie to inaugurate the Champion Festival (a matinee triple-feature thing to get kids back in theaters), but Destroy All Monsters was still treated as the end of the series, so they made a not-quite-Godzilla-movie, and Honda used the opportunity to tackle the social problem of latchkey children. So yeah you can't really evaluate it by the same standards as the other kaiju films.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
I remember after my last rewatch of All Monsters Attack thinking that the Monster Island stuff wasn't all that bad, and that the human-side story had some interesting stuff going on, but I found the actual Home Alone-style kid vs. robbers action to be insufferably dull. Which is unfortunate, since it takes up most of the movie's final 20 minutes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I did a double shot of Against MechaGodzilla and Tokyo SOS and I really wish they hadn't stuck Akane on a bus in the second. She was interesting and had an arc.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Crossover from the Sofubi Thread- MaxToy Japan announcing their latest figure

https://x.com/quackmaxx/status/1741817946874486831?s=20

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Also Kiku has a new kaiju print available!

https://kikupunk.bigcartel.com/product/kaiju?fbclid=IwAR2bMeGh0oBKVcsHu5L5Jn1WRRXyMnScEvv8gp-Kv5s3AFjlbOive1KtyE8

And a reprint of the Godzilla bodysuit tattoo print!

https://kikupunk.bigcartel.com/product/king-of-monsters

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Man, I really wish I liked GMK more, but I don't. The movie just kind of falls off a cliff for me after the Baragon fight. The final battle with Ghidorah has some moments that feel embarrassing enough to deflate the tone of the rest of film up until that point (Ghidorah's wire-assisted dropkick of Godzilla springs to mind). Kaneko brought some of the magic that made the 90's Gamera films special, but all of those had Shinji Higuchi as the SFX director, and his absence really makes itself known in this outing, and it makes me wonder what people might think of those Gamera movies if he hadn't been involved.

IMDB says he helped out on GMK but went uncredited.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I like GMK but it does peak early with the Baragon fight, yeah

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Don't know if anyone else will care about this, but after some digging I managed to find a chart showing the attendance in Japan for Godzilla films up to Shin. (Well, up to early Shin. By the end, Shin had enough attendees to beat everything after Kong, reaching around 5.6 million attendees. Meanwhile, Minus One 'only' has 3 million so far.)

One thing that stood out to me is how big Heisei got. I'd kind of gotten the idea in recent years that it was just moderately successful, but no. The back half of Heisei was huge, bringing Godzilla to heights it hadn't seen since Son, and unlike the original run or Millenium, it ended on a high note, with over 4 million attendees. (It also explains the shockingly high numbers for the Emmerich Godzilla. Heisei Godzilla was an institution.)

Gamera wasn't listed with it, but Japanese wikipedia covered it, staring the series with 900,000 attendees, hitting 1.2 million for Legion and closing at a million. A flop by Godzilla's standards, but pretty dang good for the turtle, and highly respected by audiences and critics. (Hideaki Anno even made a feature length documentary about the production of the Gamera trilogy.)

So, yeah. The 90s were a good time for Kaiju fans.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Oh poo poo, I almost forgot. Happy five years to King Kong entering public domain! It's never too early to start preproduction on your own original King Kong movie...

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
is it just old rear end one or is it different from the new one in the new movie, like how its only Steamboat Micky

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The original story's in the PD and is why anything after it even exists

The 1933 film becomes PD in 2029

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

SRS Cinema is releasing another low budget Kaiju movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_obRQbmHEfY

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The creature in the thumbnail reminds me of Boobah, one of the most bizarre and haunting childrens’ tv shows I’ve ever seen.

The thought of one of those things at kaiju size is horrific.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

King Schlong

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
when was the last film that lived to the hype like Minus One did.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

GateOfD posted:

when was the last film that lived to the hype like Minus One did.

Fury Road, maybe?

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

Fury Road, maybe?

Ha, that was the first one that came to mind for me, too.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Arc Hammer posted:

Fury Road, maybe?

Yep, agreed.

Just came back from my 4th showing of Minus One. Still cried. Gat drat what a movie

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZIN8JpeKBc

That's a level of enthusiasm I haven't seen in a toy commercial for some time.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'm very curious how the sofubi for those guys will look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Vinylshadow posted:

The original story's in the PD and is why anything after it even exists

The 1933 film becomes PD in 2029
What original story? King Kong wasn't an adaptation.