Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
What’s the best app these days for smart-removing of objects in photos? Snapseed can still do it but I get the feeling other apps could do a more convincing job of it these days. Non-destructive with a revert option on the original photos would be great if that’s possible.

Free is great obviously but happy to pay for a good app if it’s not subscription based.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tupac shot Cobain
Jul 4, 2003

Question Mark Mound posted:

What’s the best app these days for smart-removing of objects in photos? Snapseed can still do it but I get the feeling other apps could do a more convincing job of it these days. Non-destructive with a revert option on the original photos would be great if that’s possible.

Free is great obviously but happy to pay for a good app if it’s not subscription based.

If I need to remove an object to place into a new photo I've been finding the built in long press on the object in Photos and then "sharing" to a new photo has worked fairly well for me. Bonus is that you can make stickers from the stuff you're "removing".

This article shows how to do it but to make a new photo from the object just use the Share command.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Google Photos does a good job of this, but i think you need a Google One subscription to enable the functionality.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Tupac shot Cobain posted:

If I need to remove an object to place into a new photo I've been finding the built in long press on the object in Photos and then "sharing" to a new photo has worked fairly well for me. Bonus is that you can make stickers from the stuff you're "removing".

This article shows how to do it but to make a new photo from the object just use the Share command.
That's not quite what I'm after. It's more like the "content aware fill" from Photoshop for e.g. removing a person from the background of a photo that I need.

Spikey Willow
Feb 26, 2008

I've used Retouch in the past, no idea if I paid for it or if it's the best, but it works.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

That's not quite what I'm after. It's more like the "content aware fill" from Photoshop for e.g. removing a person from the background of a photo that I need.

Maybe PSExpress? Might require adobe CC sub tho.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
PS Express needs a pro sub for the heal tool that isn’t awful and TouchRetouch seems to be subscription based now :(

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

PS Express needs a pro sub for the heal tool that isn’t awful and TouchRetouch seems to be subscription based now :(

Photomator is a one time buy and has a magic eraser type tool.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Neurophonic posted:

Photomator is a one time buy and has a magic eraser type tool.
It seems like I had that downloaded a long time ago, but they’ve also gone subscription. I’ll re-download anyway when I’m on WiFi to see if maybe it’s part of the free tools!

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
If you bought Photomator for iPhone or iPad, you can use all the features without subscribing and get a discount to buy Photomator for MacOS.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Editing photos aside, are there any advantages to picking up a "custom" camera app like iPhone 7-8 days? IIRC, RAW can be shot now, so the only reason I can see to purchase something like Halide is aperture, f/stop, etc. If so, any recommendations besides Halide?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

EconOutlines posted:

Editing photos aside, are there any advantages to picking up a "custom" camera app like iPhone 7-8 days? IIRC, RAW can be shot now, so the only reason I can see to purchase something like Halide is aperture, f/stop, etc. If so, any recommendations besides Halide?

Not in my experience, I did a Halide demo and played with Lightroom's fully manual camera with the 15PM and the results are disappointing, even taking RAW files. They just can't be pushed all that far in post processing because of the small sensor size. To my eye it needs Apple's AI magic to produce a good image.

So I use the stock Photos app and shoot in prores RAW if I think I'll want to edit later. Less faff and it actually produces files I'm happy to work on.

Probably don't leave RAW on full time though because the files are like 20MB each.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

xzzy posted:

Not in my experience, I did a Halide demo and played with Lightroom's fully manual camera with the 15PM and the results are disappointing, even taking RAW files. They just can't be pushed all that far in post processing because of the small sensor size. To my eye it needs Apple's AI magic to produce a good image.

So I use the stock Photos app and shoot in prores RAW if I think I'll want to edit later. Less faff and it actually produces files I'm happy to work on.

Probably don't leave RAW on full time though because the files are like 20MB each.

That's good to know, thanks. The AppStore is flooded with photo apps and it made me curious as to what is fluff or if actual improvements could be had.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Is there a good ebook reading app which can show bookmarks/clippings across multiple books? I have a collection of cookbooks on my iPad and I’d like to be able to browse through all the things I’ve bookmarked in one go, rather than having to open each one individually.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Is there a good ebook reading app which can show bookmarks/clippings across multiple books? I have a collection of cookbooks on my iPad and I’d like to be able to browse through all the things I’ve bookmarked in one go, rather than having to open each one individually.

Books.app?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Import all the recipes you like into Paprika?

(This has the huge caveat that Paprika's recipe parser is way better at getting recipes out of webpages than at translating PDF-formatted ingredient lists into something comprehensible)

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Is Paprika the go-to app for recipe organization? It's 5 bucks but if it's good and doesn't have a subscription i'm happy to pay it.

Here's a dumb question - these days I'm getting most of my recipes from Instagram reels because I'm a basic bitch. Is there any app or shortcut that will: 1) Save the video to either an app like Paprika or to a note in the notes app AND 2) save the caption from the video along with the video?

I found this site https://instavideosave.net that will let me save the videos, but it doesn't have the caption which doesn't help me.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
I jump back and forth between Paprika and the guy who developed reeders app, Mela. I think Mela’s prettier but Paprika is a freaking wonderful workhorse.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Is Paprika the go-to app for recipe organization? It's 5 bucks but if it's good and doesn't have a subscription i'm happy to pay it.

Here's a dumb question - these days I'm getting most of my recipes from Instagram reels because I'm a basic bitch. Is there any app or shortcut that will: 1) Save the video to either an app like Paprika or to a note in the notes app AND 2) save the caption from the video along with the video?

I found this site https://instavideosave.net that will let me save the videos, but it doesn't have the caption which doesn't help me.

I really like paprika and it always seems to parse recipes from whatever website I throw at it. One strange thing is the search function is a little weird, sometimes I will search for a word like “bread” and it doesn’t get all of the items with bread in the title. No idea why! My only beef with it.

Saving video clips sounds interesting, I haven’t ever thought of that but might be handy to have a YouTube link or something!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
A bunch of people were saying Pestle is good but I haven’t tried it.

Paprika is good but feels a little abandoned, there are a bunch of small features that really should be added.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
I use AnyList because it has a family sharing feature so we work from the same shopping list and meal plan. Requires a subscription for that ($15/year household or $10/year individual) and a few other advanced features but I think it does basically everything most of these types of apps do.

It also does have quite a lot of free features - if you're single and don't care about importing recipes, it's actually decent as a free app: https://www.anylist.com/features

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
What is everyone’s go to timer app? I still can’t get over how bad the default app is.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

OldSenileGuy posted:

Paprika is awesome, the only new feature I truly need is a way to completely disable the in-app browser, which is only good if you want to know what a mommyblogger recipe site looks like in tyool 2024 without an ad blocker, because you're trying to kill an epileptic person or something

I have no idea about parsing out instagram recipes. I suppose that is the brave new frontier of content scraping, which I think instagram itself will fight tooth and nail if they catch anybody doing it. Youtube people usually at least have the decency to put the damned recipe in the notes

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Cold on a Cob posted:

I use AnyList because it has a family sharing feature so we work from the same shopping list and meal plan. Requires a subscription for that ($15/year household or $10/year individual) and a few other advanced features but I think it does basically everything most of these types of apps do.

It also does have quite a lot of free features - if you're single and don't care about importing recipes, it's actually decent as a free app: https://www.anylist.com/features

This is what I use, mostly for the shared list function. I could probably use notes.app now but I’m lazy and I don’t want to retrain my spouse.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I really like Pestle, I picked up the lifetime membership when it was cheaper/on sale and he’s regularly updated it. At the time, the big thing that Paprika was missing at the time for me was being able to scan recipes from books using OCR, I think? I had Paprika at one point but haven’t used it in ages

I really like how easily Pestle will parse recipes from the Safari share sheet and it has Smart Folder filtering, so I can sort for cocktails labeled as Tiki or whatever. I use it both for meal recipes and cocktails and diy liqueurs and such.

You can add rss feeds to the “Discover” area like Mela as well (I used that for a hot second but needed the shared family recipes for our purposes - love Reeder though!).

The shared household is another killer feature I’m not sure Paprika has yet - Your cookbook recipes sync with your families app, and it lets you easily add recipe ingredients to a shared family reminders shopping list, which we use in our household. You can even meal plan and have it add specific meals on a shared family calendar with your household.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 3, 2024

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Oh I would love if Paprika could OCR stuff, I have a few America’s Test Kitchen Books with favourites in there I don’t want to have to type out!

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Demon_Corsair posted:

What is everyone’s go to timer app? I still can’t get over how bad the default app is.

I use the default timer app. What's bad about it? (no really i honestly don't know, i just use it for ... timer things)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I find the built-in timer app to be accurate enough for me.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

Oh I would love if Paprika could OCR stuff, I have a few America’s Test Kitchen Books with favourites in there I don’t want to have to type out!

Seems a little less useful now that ocr is in the camera and photos apps, but for big batches for sure.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

tuyop posted:

Seems a little less useful now that ocr is in the camera and photos apps, but for big batches for sure.

Yeah I forget that is a thing, I should give that a try on a couple favs

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

tuyop posted:

It wouldn't take much for Paprika to implement OCR scanning directly within their app using iOS APIs (which is what I prefer so I don't save a bunch of images in my Photos app), but I'm guessing they just don't prioritize adding new features that can't easily be implemented on their other apps that are on non-iOS platforms.

Very annoying.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 3, 2024

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Dancing Peasant posted:

I use the default timer app. What's bad about it? (no really i honestly don't know, i just use it for ... timer things)

I find it super annoying, the list doesn’t sort by anything useful like duration or most used, and the feedback when you start an alarm is non existent, so I either start nothing or 2 or 3 because I can’t tell if I actually hit the button.

I guess it’s good that the timer is one of my top three complaints after switching from android a couple months ago.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Demon_Corsair posted:

I find it super annoying, the list doesn’t sort by anything useful like duration or most used, and the feedback when you start an alarm is non existent, so I either start nothing or 2 or 3 because I can’t tell if I actually hit the button.

Two things Siri is useful for:

“5 minutes” - Sets a time for 5 minutes
“5 pm” - Sets an alarm for 5 pm

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
And with the magic of iOS 17 we can finally set multiple timers at once!

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

And with the magic of iOS 17 we can finally set multiple timers at once!

You can also say "set a timer for 5 pm" and she will do the math and set that timer, whereas before she’d say "I can’t do that but I’ll set an alarm instead" causing my alarm list to become massive.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

kri kri posted:

This is what I use, mostly for the shared list function. I could probably use notes.app now but I’m lazy and I don’t want to retrain my spouse.

We actually tried switching to Reminders.app since it now supports categorized grocery lists. It worked quite well but we missed the recipe integration and "favourites" feature of AnyList so we went back to AnyList.

It was really nice being able to use Siri to add to our grocery list in reminders; you can add something using siri to AnyList but it's a bit janky because you can't seem to do it in one step eg
Me: "Add to anylist"
Siri: "what should i add?"
Me: "oranges"

You can't seem to do anything like "Add oranges to anylist" with the shortcut it creates. I'm tempted to try the "reminders -> anylist" feature that AnyList has so i can just talk to Siri like a human being to add things to my grocery list that way.

Cold on a Cob fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jan 3, 2024

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Cold on a Cob posted:

We actually tried switching to Reminders.app since it now supports categorized grocery lists. It worked quite well but we missed the recipe integration and "favourites" feature of AnyList so we went back to AnyList.

It was really nice being able to use Siri to add to our grocery list in reminders; you can add something using siri to AnyList but it's a bit janky because you can't seem to do it in one step eg

You can't seem to do anything like "Add oranges to anylist" with the shortcut it creates. I'm tempted to try the "reminders -> anylist" feature that AnyList has so i can just talk to Siri like a human being to add things to my grocery list that way.

You can hook AnyList up to Alexa and it works really well. This is the main use case we have for it in our house. When you're in the kitchen and you see something is running low "Alexa, add oranges to shopping list". It automatically gets added to the AnyList shopping list and categorised.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Slash posted:

You can hook AnyList up to Alexa and it works really well. This is the main use case we have for it in our house. When you're in the kitchen and you see something is running low "Alexa, add oranges to shopping list". It automatically gets added to the AnyList shopping list and categorised.

Yeah it's absolutely pathetic how bad Siri is despite the first mover advantage they enjoyed. We're 100% apple devices (watches, phones, macs, homepod, etc) so I'm stuck with Siri though. I did some more research after posting that and a lot of people suggest using the weird Reminders.app integration instead, so I'm going to try that.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Cold on a Cob posted:

This reminds me that Siri and Paprika is totally broken for me now, for some reason. I used to be able to “add oranges to my grocery list on paprika” but now Siri says it can’t find a “groceries” list, because it’s only looking in Reminders and not inside Paprika. No idea how to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

This reminds me that Siri and Paprika is totally broken for me now, for some reason. I used to be able to “add oranges to my grocery list on paprika” but now Siri says it can’t find a “groceries” list, because it’s only looking in Reminders and not inside Paprika. No idea how to fix it.

I just tried this (because I had no idea it could!) and it worked

There’s a “enable Siri” option in the paprika settings. Is it on for you? Also I tried adding a few times and it mostly worked but had one instance where it added it to my regular grocery list (in reminders) instead.