Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Precambrian Video Games posted:

But Hamas decided instead to make Gaza a springboard for destroying Israel. To put it another way, Hamas had a choice: to replicate Dubai in 2023 or replicate Hanoi in 1968. It chose to replicate Hanoi, whose Củ Chi tunnel network served as the launchpad for the ’68 Tet offensive.

So in this analogy Israel is South Vietnam/USA. Someone who's good at history remind me how that ended up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

It chose to replicate Hanoi, whose Củ Chi tunnel network served as the launchpad for the ’68 Tet offensive.
oh my god I am so tired of hearing about the mythical Hamas Hospital Tunnels

like even when you are talking about this network of tunnels that literally existed and was used for war, we all know what you're saying

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bedpan posted:

did dubai ever get a sewage system?

yeah, british airways flies directly to and from the gulf

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Real hurthling! posted:

yeah, british airways flies directly to and from the gulf

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

To put it another way, Hamas had a choice: to replicate Dubai in 2023 or replicate Hanoi in 1968. It chose to replicate Hanoi, whose Củ Chi tunnel network served as the launchpad for the ’68 Tet offensive.
Using their handy-dandy time machines...

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Happy New York Times Year!

Once Sharon pulled Israel out of Gaza, Palestinians were left, for the first time ever, with total control over a piece of land. Yes, it was an impoverished slice of sand and coastal seawater, with some agricultural areas. And it was not the ancestral home of most of its residents. But it was theirs to build anything they wanted.

Had Hamas embraced Oslo and chosen to build its own Dubai, not only would the world have lined up to aid and invest in it; it would have been the most powerful springboard conceivable for a Palestinian state in the West Bank, in the heart of the Palestinian ancestral homeland. Palestinians would have proved to themselves, to Israelis and to the world what they could do when they had their own territory.

But Hamas decided instead to make Gaza a springboard for destroying Israel. To put it another way, Hamas had a choice: to replicate Dubai in 2023 or replicate Hanoi in 1968. It chose to replicate Hanoi, whose Củ Chi tunnel network served as the launchpad for the ’68 Tet offensive.

(You can probably guess who wrote this but there are several options)

hillary R. clinton

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Once Sharon pulled Israel out of Gaza, Palestinians were left, for the first time ever, with total control over a piece of land. Yes, it was an impoverished slice of sand and coastal seawater, with some agricultural areas. And it was not the ancestral home of most of its residents. But it was theirs to build anything they wanted.

Had Hamas embraced Oslo and chosen to build its own Dubai, not only would the world have lined up to aid and invest in it; it would have been the most powerful springboard conceivable for a Palestinian state in the West Bank, in the heart of the Palestinian ancestral homeland. Palestinians would have proved to themselves, to Israelis and to the world what they could do when they had their own territory.

[giger counter clicking rapidly]

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

hamas as north vietnam at the moment of the tet offensive is heartening :unsmith:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

Hamas did Tet, then Israel did Linebacker, and then Al-Shifa was their Lam Son 719 complete with the hunt for the Bamboo Pentagon, and now they've withdrawn.

They're doing Linebacker II, but what comes next is the Easter Offensive

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Thomas Friedman?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

bedpan posted:

Thomas Friedman?

got it in one

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

You know it's a Friedman because the metaphor means exactly the opposite of what he wants it to mean and makes him look like a loving moron even if you assume it's a good metaphor for the situation, but it's also a terrible and wrong metaphor. It's not a genuine Friedman unless it's stupid on at least two levels.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAH-SQ_wgbg&t=42s

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

bedpan posted:

Thomas Friedman?
The next next six months are going to be crucial for the future of Isreal.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Harik posted:

Reprinting racist propaganda? One pulitizer prize please
accusing German troops of mutilating Belgians' hands is pretty :ironicat:

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Let me get this straight for you dear readers, Israel is the Romanov family and Hamas are the Bolsheviks. Don’t let history repeat itself.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

who’s that make anastasia

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
that Big Bang/Jeopardy lady who runs a giant zionist propaganda shadow network

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Zedhe Khoja posted:

that Big Bang/Jeopardy lady who runs a giant zionist propaganda shadow network

I couldn't watch that show any more after I found out what a freak she was irl lol

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

she got fired off jeopady iirc

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

she got fired off jeopady iirc

Apparently for supporting the writers strike, but maybe also because she wasn’t good? Idk I had a conversation about it with my jeopardy watching relatives over Christmas and brought up the strike thing but they all said they generally didn’t like her and since I don’t watch the show it was hard to disagree

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

she does supplement commercials with her neuroscience phd talking about the proven science of brain boosters

edit: apparently rolling stone has like a takedown of her from a while ago with some wild past statements
https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/new-jeopardy-host-mayim-bialik-1216461/amp/

Real hurthling! has issued a correction as of 22:35 on Jan 3, 2024

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Christ, the NYT has like 4 stories about that Harvard lady losing her job. Nobody cares about the antics at the creche for well-connected failchildren, gently caress off!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the nyt cares Becuase it’s a win for the fascists who they love

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

lol

(the article actually only argues for reopening the US embassy in Kabul)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Pistol_Pete posted:

Christ, the NYT has like 4 stories about that Harvard lady losing her job. Nobody cares about the antics at the creche for well-connected failchildren, gently caress off!

they're posting her head on a spike as a warning to anyone thinking about criticizing Israel

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

if you aren't a harvard alum you're not really the nyt's target audience

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

a troupe of reporters on the dershowitz-marthas vineyard beat

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shear Modulus posted:

if you aren't a harvard alum you're not really the nyt's target audience

a former co-worker and semi-friend of mine is running a write-in campaign to join the board of governors because he thinks Harvard is too enthralled by the woke antisemites

I go through a lot of popcorn when I read Facebook these days

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Pistol_Pete posted:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

It's funny that they're running with the "yep, definitely fired for plagiarism" thing when it's just so obviously about Israel

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Real hurthling! posted:

she does supplement commercials with her neuroscience phd talking about the proven science of brain boosters

edit: apparently rolling stone has like a takedown of her from a while ago with some wild past statements
https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/new-jeopardy-host-mayim-bialik-1216461/amp/

Yeah it was a LOT of reasons. Here's a pretty funny run down too:

https://www.theringer.com/tv/2023/12/27/24015707/mayim-bialik-jeopardy-main-host-history-ken-jennings-writers-strike

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

lol bret stephens thinks elite universities exist to "nurture the best minds"

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Real hurthling! posted:

In 2018, Bialik came under fire for penning an op-ed for the New York Times that argued that the reason she successfully avoided being assaulted by predators like Weinstein was because she dressed modestly and did not “act flirtatiously with men.”

that's a lol from me

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Clark Nova posted:

lol bret stephens thinks

questionable

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

I feel like being anti-vaccine despite having a neuroscience degree is the craziest thing about this extremely odd woman.

And not, like, one of those people who are skeptical of the new type of vaccines that are mRNA-based. As the article notes, she was one of those 2000s-style Jenny McCarthy anti-vaxxers about normal-rear end vaccines that we've known work great for decades upon decades.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

And not, like, one of those people who are skeptical of the new type of vaccines that are mRNA-based. As the article notes, she was one of those 2000s-style Jenny McCarthy anti-vaxxers about normal-rear end vaccines that we've known work great for decades upon decades.
The antivax positions are always super weird. In the 1800s when Napoleon(a big fan of Jenner, partly because the British Parliament was poo poo to him, partly because vaccination was a genius step forward in term of public healthcare) did a European-wide cowpox inoculation campaign, he was originally afraid the catholic church would oppose the campaign. It did not. The priests and hierarchy were so extremely in favor they took part in the inoculation proper, organizing local campaigns to help it. You know who opposed it? A few doctors, who were afraid a successful campaign would portrait them as quacks who let people die. Also, note it didn't stop the English press from calling Napoleon the anti-christ and the inoculation scars the MARK OF THE BEAST.

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 16:51 on Jan 5, 2024

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Toplowtech posted:

The antivax positions are always super weird. In the 1800s when Napoleon(a big fan of Jenner, partly because the British Parliament was poo poo to him, partly because vaccination was a genius step forward in term of public healthcare) did a European-wide cowpox inoculation campaign, he was originally afraid the catholic church would oppose the campaign. It did not. The priests and hierarchy were so extremely in favor they took part in the inoculation proper, organizing local campaigns to help it. You know who opposed it? A few doctors, who were afraid a successful campaign would portrait them as quacks who let people die. Also, note it didn't stop the English press from calling Napoleon the anti-christ and the inoculation scars the MARK OF THE BEAST.

Didn't know that, that rules.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Vaccines are a bit of a victim of their own success.

In Brazil, despite all that Bolsonaro did to try to discredit and stop vaccinations, only like 2.5% of the population said they wouldn't get the covid vaccine under any circumstance. 82% were vaccinated according to the latest data, and if you look at the map, it is more due to access reasons than political reasons.

That is in large part because polio vaccines didn't become widely available in Brazil until 1980. So anyone from my generation knows someone who had polio as a kid and can see the outcome, and can see that people born after 1980 didn't have the same problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

genericnick posted:

Didn't know that, that rules.