Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i keep wanting a reason to justify an nspire cause i want a cool calculator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
the curta is the only truly cool calculator

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sweevo posted:

i remember when wifi first started becoming ubiquitous and every tech forum was full of people asking how to hack their neighbours wifi

bonus for when they claim the neighbour will totally allow them to use it, but they can't just ask for the password because...

there was an old clip of Leo Laporte from techtv or some other show where a woman called for tech support because her wifi wasn't working, and it eventually turned out that she was just stealing wifi from her neighbor, who moved or put a password on it

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i would 100% steal my neighbour's wifi, because he's one of those guys who has to have the biggest TV and the fastest internet even though he uses it solely to check his email once a day

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
i have stolen my neighbor's wifi before but that's because i was broke and knew how to crack it

later i moved to flashing a custom firmware onto an old motorola sb4100 and just stole service directly. uncapping a cable modem wasn't only just possible back then, it was easy

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

The_Franz posted:

there was an old clip of Leo Laporte from techtv or some other show where a woman called for tech support because her wifi wasn't working, and it eventually turned out that she was just stealing wifi from her neighbor, who moved or put a password on it

lol

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i never stole wifi, but i stole a ton of dial up access via netbus

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you can’t like steal a wifi man

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Corla Plankun posted:

gently caress the internet used to be so fun

:yossame:

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
fuzzy logic

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

unironically had someone recently tell me that quantum computing was going to do this which is why it would produce true AI. like, that's what I thought it meant when I was 9 and heard about it for the first time.

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

that's when my cat thinks carrying a toy up two flights of stairs and dropping it at my feet will cause her to receive a treat (she's right)

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Beeftweeter posted:

i have stolen my neighbor's wifi before but that's because i was broke and knew how to crack it

later i moved to flashing a custom firmware onto an old motorola sb4100 and just stole service directly. uncapping a cable modem wasn't only just possible back then, it was easy

lol

TheBuilder posted:

Drill a hole in the top of the cable modem and let the data flow from its spout.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

powerline ethernet

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
and Ethernet over Powerlines which was also a piece of poo poo

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

pretzel logic was better

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Jonny 290 posted:

first drive i bought with my own money was a cavernous 4.3GB maxtor . holy god. the world is mine.

enough to store hundreds of mp3s, UT99, Quake 3, Half-Life and maybe even a season or two of lovely Southpark rips in RealVideo.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

powerline ethernet

I'm still rocking this because I cba to string cat6 up the stairs and my landlord won't take kindly to me opening the walls to run conduit. It actually works alarmingly well for my modest needs

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

first drive i bought with my own money was a cavernous 4.3GB maxtor . holy god. the world is mine.

when we ordered our Gateway 2000 Pentium 75 desktop over the phone (lmao), the sales guy literally said “order the 1GB drive, you’ll never fill it up”

I thought about that as I stood in line waiting to pay for a 3GB drive to replace the 1GB at Best Buy a year or so later.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Beve Stuscemi posted:

when we ordered our Gateway 2000 Pentium 75 desktop over the phone (lmao), the sales guy literally said “order the 1GB drive, you’ll never fill it up”

I thought about that as I stood in line waiting to pay for a 3GB drive to replace the 1GB at Best Buy a year or so later.

at the time that was probably still pretty solid advice for most customers though, good on the guy not upselling

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

also that reminded me of calling computer companies. in highschool in the 90’s I had a Helpdesk job at a local company and a big part of my job was calling Gateway 2000 to literally tell a sales person to send us 10x desktops with whatever specs.

also calling their tech support line. I had all of the menus memorized so I could go from picking up the phone to talking to a real person in about 10 seconds of furiously beep booping on the keypad.

analog tech poo poo.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

at the time that was probably still pretty solid advice for most customers though, good on the guy not upselling

the 1GB was the largest drive they offered with that machine, so he was definitely upselling, but to be fair I put a ton of games and all the media I could find on it and was probably outside of the use case of most customers

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

My dad's PC's hard disk drive broke on 23.12. one year and he called IBM and they told him to bring it in. Turns out their offices were like 200m from where I lived so I picked it up from my parent's place, took it to IBM, and they called me on loving Yule Eve before noon to come pick it up. No charge.

The loving things cost like 1½ times as much as they should have but the company had god drat customer service. I guess it was because mostly only businesses and, well, the city itself bought their PCs.

e: Oh, ah, I just realized they probably recognized my dad's name (same as mine) through his work for the city. :doh: Well, anyway.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I recall upgrading from my 20MB MFM drive to a 40MB IDE drive which cost me like a hundred bucks and I was like, sweeet, next I'm gonna upgrade from this poo poo EGA graphics to full on VGA, that'll be amazing

nowadays I have to check to see how big my drives are because I don't remember lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
st225? Classic platter right there.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yes indeed, nearly. Seagate ST-220. I took it apart when I was in my early 20s so I still have a box full of the innards somewhere.
e. maybe the st-220 didn't exist, and I'm misremembering the 225. Google says this is probably the case.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I had one of em that had a dying motor, so i had to run it outside of my case and give the drive a twist on bootup to overcome stiction. lol.

the motor shaft was exposed on the bottom and i put a drop of 3-in-1 on it to maintain

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

powerline ethernet

i just remembered homepna, where the idea was local area networking over the existing phone lines in the house. i remember a few friends who had it cussing it out.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
just lol if you don’t perfectly recall information about decades-old hard drive models

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i just ordered printer ribbon and some four ply continuous feed paper

gonna use the print shop in dos to make some banners for a pinball tournament

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
makin those little spring thingys out of the tearoffs from dot matrix paper

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

:blessed:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

[sighs deeply]

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i was weirdly nostalgic about handheld image scanners the other day

so bad but so satisfying

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Cold on a Cob posted:

i was weirdly nostalgic about handheld image scanners the other day

so bad but so satisfying

absolutely trash but being able to like scan anything at the time was so novel

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

the ThunderScan

it replaced the ribbon in your Imagewriter II and you'd feed something in and it used the printer feed to scan er in.

1 bit, baby. Still magic.

e: i'm wrong, it was 5 bit but macs could only do black/white so they did dithering on the output

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Shame that the output is like this instead of the smeared CMYK four color garbage that would print out after one rear end in a top hat kid just had to print a banner

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

the ThunderScan

it replaced the ribbon in your Imagewriter II and you'd feed something in and it used the printer feed to scan er in.

1 bit, baby. Still magic.

e: i'm wrong, it was 5 bit but macs could only do black/white so they did dithering on the output

this is cool af and I had no idea something like this was ever made

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the late apple // and early mac time period was a gold mine for weird peripherals.

want an apple //e on a card to jam in your IBM XT? Get a trackstar 128

want an ibm xt on a card to jam into your apple // ? Get a PC transporter

the Apple CAT modem was particularly influential in the 80s because it could generate and detect any arbitrary tones, not just standard 300 baud modem beeps. So OG hackers would set it up as a blue box dialer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Jonny 290 posted:

the Apple CAT modem was particularly influential in the 80s because it could generate and detect any arbitrary tones, not just standard 300 baud modem beeps. So OG hackers would set it up as a blue box dialer.

that thing owned

it was a 300 baud modem but you could run the bell 202 protocol on it and get it up to 1200 baud

p much the entire apple ii software piracy bbs world ran on applecats using 202