Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I use PodcastAddict but I paid for it before it went Subscription Mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Deathlove posted:

I use PodcastAddict but I paid for it before it went Subscription Mode.

Oh poo poo, they went subscription mode too. While I'm glad I paid for it as I've found it great they're no longer going to be what I recommend to people.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Antennapod is free, open source, and can sync cross-device through gpodder (self-hosted or standard server) or through a plugin for nextcloud (self-hosted) and it being libre doesn't have all that upsell bullshit.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How come I can't use Google Photos to edit an image I downloaded? I just need to crop some sections out of it into their own files. What would work well for this?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
What's the file format? I vaguely remember having issues with certain things.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Just a jpg.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Open it from within photos instead of from the downloads folder then you get the editing tools

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Ahh, that did it. Thanks!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
what do people use for keyboards nowadays? I've had SwiftKey forever but I think I've finally gotten way too annoyed by it constantly spitting out nonwords and I swear it updated to swap the positions of the comma and the exclamation point in the punctuation flyout. I never used the swiping anyway

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
gboard is totally fine once I told it I'm fine with swear words and also deleted the US dictionary so it would stop 'correcting' favourite and armour

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I'm still using Fleksy because I like the shortcuts system; swipe right on keyboard for space, double for full stop, swipe left to delete word, swipe up to memorise a word (or unmemorise it), swipe down to scroll through word suggestions. Also can be customised to look pretty.

It's been pretty set in stone for many years though, no innovations besides its basic concept. Not sure if there's a "Fleksy but newer" out in the market.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I stopped using fleksy as it stopped working with 1password when it started requiring the android 12 autofill api

Guessing they never got round to supporting that

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
I use Gboard and just block it from calling home

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

hark posted:

I use Gboard and just block it from calling home
How is that done?

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
Not sure how Hark does it but Graphene has a network app permission that should absolutely be in AOSP. It's so useful, but I know it would create even more grandma airplane mode it support incidents.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
I personally bought and paid for netguard a while back so I use that to do it. I think it has a free version too? But I don't remember because it's been a long rear end time

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Thanks. Neither option is available to me on this Xioami piece of poo poo. I've tried other vpn loopback apps and the OS kills them overnight, no matter how explicitly you exclude the app from the ridiculous power saver "features".

I had openboard with swipe for a while, but then it just plain stopped working one day. I have got to admit it also wasn't anywhere near as good as gboard at remembering that if I was using a particular word in the last few minutes, the likelihood of it or a variant turning up again was fairly high. It also did nothing in terms of guessing what language I was writing in. But I liked the idea of not literally every word going to Google.

Ah, well.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Flipperwaldt posted:

Thanks. Neither option is available to me on this Xioami piece of poo poo. I've tried other vpn loopback apps and the OS kills them overnight, no matter how explicitly you exclude the app from the ridiculous power saver "features".

I had openboard with swipe for a while, but then it just plain stopped working one day. I have got to admit it also wasn't anywhere near as good as gboard at remembering that if I was using a particular word in the last few minutes, the likelihood of it or a variant turning up again was fairly high. It also did nothing in terms of guessing what language I was writing in. But I liked the idea of not literally every word going to Google.

Ah, well.

Are those phones locked down or something? That's weird that you can't get it

here's a link to the apk? if that helps

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

hark posted:

Are those phones locked down or something? That's weird that you can't get it

here's a link to the apk? if that helps
No, I can get, configure and run the app, but I also know that in the morning, every morning, I'd have to manually restart the app to have it working and that's too much of a faff. I've actually had it installed from F-droid for a few days some time ago, and then an ad blocker that worked that way and another firewall app and just everything that works through a local vpn is killed when the phone goes to sleep.

E: thanks though

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Flipperwaldt posted:

No, I can get, configure and run the app, but I also know that in the morning, every morning, I'd have to manually restart the app to have it working and that's too much of a faff. I've actually had it installed from F-droid for a few days some time ago, and then an ad blocker that worked that way and another firewall app and just everything that works through a local vpn is killed when the phone goes to sleep.

E: thanks though

Wtf that's wild.

That would really make me doubt that literally anything I was doing on the phone was safe or private.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

hark posted:

Wtf that's wild.

That would really make me doubt that literally anything I was doing on the phone was safe or private.
Well, I get security updates twice a year, so any notion of that wasn't really there to begin with. I really expect this to be "just" over-eager and/or vaguely broken battery saver behavior from how much they seem to be a fan of that. But yeah, beautiful hardware, utter poo poo software experience.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I like and got used to Hyperion's differences, but I think I've got to switch back to Nova for the time being. Hyperion is driving me nuts with apps/widgets frequently not activating when I tap them, until I change pages or do some other OS thing like open the app-switcher momentarily.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Yeah, I get that a few times a day. Tap a couple of times, then just do a quick swipe to get it to realize it's supposed to be on the home screen that I'm looking at. Super annoying, but I guess I'm just used to it at this point.

I thought I was weird cause I didn't see that issue in any of the reviews I looked at!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Flipperwaldt posted:

This is an interesting app, eye opening as to how many apps phone home constantly.

If you go into your vpn settings do you have an option for "always on vpn"? My phone does, though I don't need to use it because turning off battery optimization works. You might also see if there is a "phone optimizer" or "performance optimizer" app that runs nightly. But lots of Android phones kill off apps overnight to help prevent... well Android problems of huge battery drains. Also wow if you pick "disable all network without vpn" my phone does not like that.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I've got it installed now with both options enabled and it excluded from power saving as far as the system allows. I might have wanted to suppress the permanent notification last time? We'll see.

Anyway, I immediately dislike that it doesn't differentiate between local network access and the internet. This might be covered in the filtering pro option, idk.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Flipperwaldt posted:

I've got it installed now with both options enabled and it excluded from power saving as far as the system allows. I might have wanted to suppress the permanent notification last time? We'll see.

Anyway, I immediately dislike that it doesn't differentiate between local network access and the internet. This might be covered in the filtering pro option, idk.

Ah yeah as I was reading this comment I was confused until I got to that second part. I definitely have the options for wifi / network exclusive choice in mine.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Following up with the fact that netguard stays working fine overnight now and that my earlier problems must have stemmed from me trying to hide the permanent notification. It's still weird that there are some apps that can have the stay alive benefits of having a permanent notification that is hidden, but not vpns. Tasker and its plugins don't care.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Flipperwaldt posted:

Following up with the fact that netguard stays working fine overnight now and that my earlier problems must have stemmed from me trying to hide the permanent notification. It's still weird that there are some apps that can have the stay alive benefits of having a permanent notification that is hidden, but not vpns. Tasker and its plugins don't care.

Glad at least one thing is working for ya

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Flipperwaldt posted:

This is a semi-recent Android change to help prevent apps from hiding themselves from you while consuming foreground resources. Tasker (whatever that is) likely uses intents to get woken up a bunch rather than being foreground/unoptimized/etc.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Unrelated to anything, it's been years and I still use the same live wallpapers from Maxelus. They still look awesome after all these years, I get comments all the time. I use Asteroids Pack on my phone and Planets Pack on my tablet. They look awesome on these bright AMOLED screens.

I see there's a few new ones, too, so that's cool they're still making and updating them. Seems like it varies between free with IAP or just pay up front. But even so, they're a buck or two anyway.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 7, 2024

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I came across those again too, thought it might be time to maybe give Paperland a rest after using it since an S2. I used the Maxelus Galaxy Pack before, and on my Nexus 7. Looks like there are some newer versions now.

After trying a bunch of new-to-me live wallpapers (they don't seem to be particularly actively developed these days) I've been really happy with Forest. Pleasantly surprised it even reacted to NYE, even more dynamically than Paperland does.

edit:

Oh I forgot about Cartogram which I still really like. It's an optionally-live wallpaper you can use to create stylised maps of anywhere in the world or following your current location.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 7, 2024

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

teethgrinder posted:

I came across those again too, thought it might be time to maybe give Paperland a rest after using it since an S2. I used the Maxelus Galaxy Pack before, and on my Nexus 7. Looks like there are some newer versions now.

After trying a bunch of new-to-me live wallpapers (they don't seem to be particularly actively developed these days) I've been really happy with Forest. Pleasantly surprised it even reacted to NYE, even more dynamically than Paperland does.

Forest and Paperland are also both solid choices! I used both on previous devices. I just ended up liking the really vibrant colors on these new screens.

And the last map wallpaper I used was an absolute battery hog, probably because it was polling too much. Cartogram does seem pretty cool, though. I'd love a procgen fantasy map wallpaper, actually.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Is there a browser for Android with built in ad block

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Not built in, but Firefox on Android can add uBlock Origin and it takes care of most stuff I've run into.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

smoobles posted:

Is there a browser for Android with built in ad block

Yes, Vivaldi.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

spincube posted:

Yes, Vivaldi.

Can confirm. Been a huge fan for years.

Also syncs to other platforms and is compatible with Chrome extensions on desktop.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Branch Nvidian posted:

Not built in, but Firefox on Android can add uBlock Origin and it takes care of most stuff I've run into.

This is what I do. It works great.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

H110Hawk posted:

This is what I do. It works great.

Same here. It's been my daily driver for years.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I use Firefox on PC and android, they're synced and I use pushbullet on top for file transfer or opening tabs on different devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Same but edge because I'm a mad lad

Also after being a bit poo poo in beta nearby share for windows is actually really good now for sending files and links