Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

1stGear posted:

I have never seen Hamilton in any form nor heard any of the songs. Haven't even seen clips or snippets.

Crown me as your king, for I alone am untainted.

The King George songs rule so those are worth checking out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Codependent Poster posted:

The King George songs rule so those are worth checking out.

Yeah, although you don't want to tell people that King George was the best part even if it's true it sounds like a dog whistle

Jonathan Groff rules in everything he does

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

kiimo posted:

Yeah, although you don't want to tell people that King George was the best part even if it's true it sounds like a dog whistle

Jonathan Groff rules in everything he does

I get the idea was that the whole thing was swapped but it's still kinda hosed up they got a white guy to play King George.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I like the one that goes
Washington, Washington
Ten stories high
Made of Radiation

Best Hamilton song

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

E oops

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

I like the one that goes
Washington, Washington
Ten stories high
Made of Radiation

Best Hamilton song

I haven't thought about that song for like 15 years so thanks for that little nostalgia trip.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

1stGear posted:

I have never seen Hamilton in any form nor heard any of the songs. Haven't even seen clips or snippets.

Crown me as your king, for I alone am untainted.

Nothing on earth will ever make me interested in a play that downplays slavery, to the point of literally erasing them out from recreations of events they were present at.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

edogawa rando posted:

Nothing on earth will ever make me interested in a play that downplays slavery, to the point of literally erasing them out from recreations of events they were present at.

I think there's a single reference to slavery during one or two of the songs and that's about it

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 9, 2024

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I was gifted tickets to see Hamilton and hated most of it.
The audience was almost 100% white, myself included, and they were so excited like we were on the verge of a revolution or some poo poo.

Nah dude, you drove here in your Lexus and spent $400 on good seats. You're not part of what you imagine.

I genuinely do not see the appeal. It washes over parts of history that were the worst for black Americans but then has the cast be 99% black.
Who is this for??
The King George character was fun because he's the only one who gets to be a heel. Hating him is part of the gimmick and it works.
The rest of the play ignores the worst parts of America but isn't played for laughs. It's truly a perfect encapsulation of neoliberalism.

If I wasn't with the people that gifted the tickets, I would have left at intermission.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Also, Lin Manuel Miranda sucks poo poo and I'm sick of seeing his stupid loving face.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Inzombiac posted:

I genuinely do not see the appeal [of Hamilton].

I wondered the same thing. It's definitely a neoliberal project to the core, so it's obvious why centrist white people are into it, but a lot of nonwhite people genuinely like it, as well.

One answer I got from such a person also applied to Black Panther, an equally neoliberal story. When so many "POC narratives" are synonymous with stories of oppression and atrocity, there's something pleasantly escapist in imagining a context where, like, Black excellence exists apart from oppression. Where history didn't disenfranchise everyone who wasn't white. It's like Bridgerton or whatever...everyone knows what Regency Britain actually looked like, everyone knows that America's founding fathers were white slave owners. The anachronism of it isn't a secret for POC viewers, it's just fun to imagine a less depressing alternate history that included them every once in a while.

Though, yeah, Lin Manuel Miranda's clean rap breakdowns being a part of every third Disney project for the last decade has been goddamn insufferable.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
do we have a child's school project poster for black panther so you can go off on that as well

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I might be going to see Spamalot this summer :shobon:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Waffleman_ posted:

I might be going to see Spamalot this summer :shobon:

Oooo, I'm jealous. I don't get to the theater as often as I'd like but I do get to see Lion King this year.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Inzombiac posted:

Also, Lin Manuel Miranda sucks poo poo and I'm sick of seeing his stupid loving face.

His whiny rear end rapping is insufferable. And to answer your question this is made for white people who also suck at rapping to be able to sing along kind of like The Superbowl Shuffle

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Clap your hands everybody
And everybody clap your hands.
We’re Hamilton and the Founding Fathers too.
We come here on stage tonight to do our show for you.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My name is Hamilton and I'm here to say
that taxation without representation is not okay

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
There are a lot of people who believe that by consuming diverse media they're helping fight bigotry. I'm not sure what that means or how much that helped the play but it's a very frequent belief and it wouldn't hurt it.

Also, Hamilton basically has the politics of the West Wing (which is turn is the politics of the neolib elite) which is that America is a fundamentally good country full of fundamentally good people with different perspectives that just happens to get tricked or stumble into doing bad things.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxxBXpnn2Jw

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
This is A-Hams, and I'm world class
I like rappin' but I love me some rear end
I'm on the hustings all day and I rhyme all night
I got to get ready for the congress fight
Now I'm as smooth as a chocolate swirl
I orate a little funky, so watch me girl
There's no one here that raps like me
My Founding Fathers Shuffle will set you free

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Lin Manuel Miranda is just a high school teacher turning his chair around and sitting on it backwards before saying, "Let's... RAP... about the Founding Fathers, yo."

And his classroom is a bunch of lib's Facebook pages.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

https://youtu.be/0qHlYp9TpB0?si=wScrnujHYCuxWKsJ

(Sorry for the terrible quality)

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Most of the songs he wrote for Moana were okay. The Maui rap song he did for The Rock is pretty dire but actually Johnson kinda sells it. The version he recorded himself over the credits is loving dreadful.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Xealot posted:

It's like Bridgerton or whatever...everyone knows what Regency Britain actually looked like, everyone knows that America's founding fathers were white slave owners.

Bridgerton is so bizarre. They cast the Duke as black because he was the best actor for the role, and did color-blind casting, but then felt the need to justify it in-universe and cast the Queen as black. Now it's basically an alternative reality where black rights existed earlier and they did a prequel show all about the queen to explain it further. They might as well explain why the orchestras in the show play Billie Eillish songs with a spin-off about a time travelling musician.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jan 10, 2024

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What’s wrong with that? :shrug:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Vegetable posted:

What’s wrong with that? :shrug:

They just didn't need to address it. They could of just had black actors in roles, like they have modern music being performed in scene. Instead they have the characters directly comment on it, with lines like "Thank God the Queen is black, otherwise black rights wouldn't exist."

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don’t really see what’s wrong. Would it really be alright to do a slave drama where the slavers are all black people playing white people? Presumably the Bridgerton people are trying to deal with a similar kind of problem. They’re solving it in their own way.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Just not addressing it is the best way.

Explaining things is always bad and should be avoided at all costs.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Need some movie posters

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

Bridgerton is so bizarre. They cast the Duke as black because he was the best actor for the role, and did color-blind casting, but then felt the need to justify it in-universe and cast the Queen as black. Now it's basically an alternative reality where black rights existed earlier and they did a prequel show all about the queen to explain it further. They might as well explain why the orchestras in the show play Billie Eillish songs with a spin-off about a time travelling musician.

Isn't Bridgerton specifically based on a book series which in turn was based on a historical rumor that one of the English Queens was actually black? It's written as an alternative history fiction.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The MSJ posted:

Isn't Bridgerton specifically based on a book series which in turn was based on a historical rumor that one of the English Queens was actually black? It's written as an alternative history fiction.

No, the book series is entirely white characters, except the novel which ties into the Queen Charlotte prequel series which was written by the author based on the script for the show, which was written entirely by Shonda.

In fact the author has said some pretty questionable things about race in the past and was against having black actors in the roles originally.

However yes, the historical rumor was a consideration for the show, but it was only used as a point AFTER they had cast black actors and decided it needed justifying.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

But I love Bridgerton so it's fine

I'm an absolute sucker for season 2

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Which of the upcoming Gundam projects is this a promo for (or is it an old poster)?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Larryb posted:

Which of the upcoming Gundam projects is this a promo for (or is it an old poster)?

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans: Urdr Hunt, which is an anime adaptation of the discontinued phone game Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans: Urdr Hunt.

The only thing about Urdr Hunt anyone cared about was it had really nicely animated cutscenes so apparently they're just taking those and filling in the gaps and making that a new anime.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Gripweed posted:

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans: Urdr Hunt, which is an anime adaptation of the discontinued phone game Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans: Urdr Hunt.

The only thing about Urdr Hunt anyone cared about was it had really nicely animated cutscenes so apparently they're just taking those and filling in the gaps and making that a new anime.

Is that mika's kid?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Kingtheninja posted:

Is that mika's kid?

No. IIRC it takes place on a space colony orbiting Jupiter.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Just do what The Great* did.

Also, go watch The Great*.

*an occasionally true story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Inzombiac posted:

Just do what The Great* did.

Also, go watch The Great*.

*an occasionally true story

That was also cutscenes from a phone game stitched together with new footage?