Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I couldn't get past Sen's Fortress in DS1 until I got a Great Black Knight Sword in a playthrought and proceeded to crush everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
What would be a funny January 6th themed armor set?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

Nazi outfits aren't in Dark Souls, sorry.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I could imagine pretty much any of them being worn that day.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

The current title is funny, but could we maybe change it for Return to Lordran 2024?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I conquered the greatest challenge faced so far: roof climb between two silver knights. The items still there but I don't need it do I?

I see the boss door too and know what's coming. First, thought, I'm gonna slaughter silver knights until I get their shield that looks cool. Large club gonna get bloody.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Mustached Demon posted:

I conquered the greatest challenge faced so far: roof climb between two silver knights. The items still there but I don't need it do I?

I see the boss door too and know what's coming. First, thought, I'm gonna slaughter silver knights until I get their shield that looks cool. Large club gonna get bloody.

Yeah, I think the item is just some poppable souls. The silver knight shield is really good, though. Club 'em good!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mustached Demon posted:

Note that if you check out the rest of the hall before the boss door, you can unlock a shortcut so you never have to make the run past the silver knight archers again. There's also a blacksmith there.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Mustached Demon posted:

You'll need that item if you want to resurrect Reah

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

I started a new run, and picked Wanderer, since that’s a class no one picks ever. Starts with the scimitar, which is a weapon I have never picked up before.

Trying to do a reverse run through the early game, so I went to Darkroot from Drakes, said hi to Siegmeyer and Andre and went over the Hellkite bridge the wrong way.

Turns out you can’t get through the far sidevof the Taurus demon fog wall! The wall is there but you can’t interact with it.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Arivia posted:

Note that if you check out the rest of the hall before the boss door, you can unlock a shortcut so you never have to make the run past the silver knight archers again. There's also a blacksmith there.

Oh yeah I think I fully explored the place. Really good farming if I need. Turned my halberd lightning like someone suggested. Go well with the pure physical large club.

Defeated the boss too. That was an amazing fight. Hard but not oppressive. I wanted the little guy's armor but his second phase just wasn't going to happen. No way I would be able to bonk him consistently. Angry Big Guy wasn't awful once I realized I could recoil him with two bonks. Now for fast travel and decision paralysis!

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

there is nothing more satisfying than to take down O+S solo with overpowered sorcery1

—-
1 because even though I summoned Solaire, he got stuck dealing with the giants outside

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I feel like I'm not really understanding Pyromancer.

Probably doesn't help that I have no sense of balancing leveling vs. buying spells vs. upgrading my flame.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Leveling stats has no impact on pyromancy. Attunement gives you more spell slots and (maybe) dex improves casting speed.

Level your flame and get good spells down in Blighttown.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I don't really think Pyromancer is much of a main character concept in DS1? You can level the flame on any character and the spells are independent of stats, so you can be a mage pyro, a sword and board pyro, a big club pyro...

If you're hellbent on using only Pyromancies, you're basically playing a challenge gimmick run that has to run from a lot of enemies to preserve limited spell casts, then turn around and farm because it's super soul hungry, has the most boring level ups, and even can't beat a few bosses outright.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Centipede and Queelag are immune to fire, but pyro is excellent against other bosses.

I'm not doing challenge runs, but I did a pyro run with the flame and the starter hand axe as main weapons. It was a fun build, and not difficult.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Can't remember on DS1 and never tried on DS2 but in DS3 you can just cast poison/toxic mist or boulder heave to add some other type of damage to the mix. Iirc DS1 has poison and toxic mist but the rest are all fire damage.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Lightning weapon pyromancer is the way to go

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Yeah most people see Pyro in DS1 as an add-on to a build.

I have done a challenge run as a Pyro who solves his problems with Pyromancy and his trusty Hand Axe, but really - there's no "build" for that run, as the stats don't matter, outside of Hand Axe damage for trash. So you just take as much HP/Stamina as you feel like you need (and you barely need stamina since casting costs none).

I forget the exact number but I think it's something like 330k Souls to max out the Pyro Flame, which honestly isn't that much, since by Gaping Dragon you have bosses that can drop 20-25k and drop a Boss Soul worth nearly that much as well. You can reach endgame damage at mid-game if you are super careful with your Souls. Once it's maxed, you can do things like people do in an SL1 run: MELT Four Kings with Combustion/Great Combustion, etc.

Not unlike Sorcery - Pyro is crazy OP in DS1.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Pyro in DS3 requires stat investment but it's crazy strong as you can juggle weakness between bosses and chump most of them. The only one I couldn't (main+DLC) just spam a spell was Gael and I played tank and stacking health regen against him.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I've been trying to play to the Pyromancer class theme, so axes and a shield. The latter has worked wonders because it turns out I still have my muscle memory from my previous parry-heavy run.

But axe play has been a shitshow. I thought the Battle Axe would be an upgrade to the Hand Axe, but I keep having trouble with the self-stagger. At least when halberds do it you're a few feet away from the enemy; the lack of range just hurts. And of course it turns out I'm better off prioritizing dex for cast speed anyway. So maybe I'll just end up going Furysword or something.

To be clear, I haven't put any points in offensive stats beyond maybe an errant point or two in strength. But I'm at a point where leveling takes an appreciable number of souls, upgrading my flame takes an appreciable number of souls, and buying new spells beyond a second stack of basic fireballs takes yeah even more souls.

Also doesn't help that I'm right in the thick of the most inconvenient stretch of the game for getting back to Laurentius, the Depths/Upper Blighttown.

The only real aha moment I've had so far is blowing up the Depths Channeler with a single fireball. Otherwise it's been really hard to adapt to ranged attacking, thanks to fireball's piss poor range and tracking.

Edit: Oh, and while I'm bitching, tack on another 20k souls for the Bellowing Dragon ring from Griggs.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 9, 2024

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I felt like the axe I started out with was awful in corridors. Always doinking off walls leaving me open. Really see why stabbing weapons get so much love for people starting out. Basic large club and lightning halberd make up the beef of my offense now. Have a divine morning star to bash in the undead too.

Thinking about making a fire or chaos sword too I dunno. Stats are 40 vit/end, 26 strength right now. Thinking about bumping dex to use the dragon bow but just dumping into str seems ok too. Got enough casty stuff to slot in a heal spell.

Successfully defeating the flaming tree puzzle boss after getting smacked into a hole by a branch about 200 times.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
DS3 pyro has no problems with Gael, only Midir. Because the dark dragon resists both fire and dark damage.

That’s why I always insist on grabbing the Dragonslayer axe from Creighton.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
I have two loadouts I swap between: Zweihander/Winged Spear and Gargoyle's Halberd/Caestus. I’d like to upgrade each weapon along a different path for fun, any recommendations? Divine for Catacombs is the only weapon path I want for sure.

Also what determines your skintone when hollow? I was very amused to discover I have a secret Purple Jerky Man alter-ego (showing off with some Hornet Ring + fist weapon animations).

e: Turns out these are just the normal fist weapon animations. :shepface:

Peteyfoot fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 10, 2024

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Progress report: Gaping Dragon was a slog but not really difficult (2x summons). Upper Blighttown was a loving shitshow. Like I know my memory is poo poo but I flatout don't remember there being quite the endless stream of bloated hollows swarming out from every crevice. Maybe I've just gotten lucky before with them offing themselves more liberally or getting stuck on ladders. I mean, not having a good response to them certainly didn't help.

Lower Blighttown was the leisurely stroll it always is with the rusted ring. Unsurprisingly, Quelaag also took a while thanks to 2 summons, but was otherwise a breeze. Everything accelerated from there - already had 30 humanity for the Fair Lady, used Eyngi to get my flame to +10, hit up Quelana for spells and got all but her three most expensive. Somewhere in the mix of starting and clearing Sens (excepting Iron Golem itself) I switched to the Falchion in preparation for the Furysword, got that to +10 already. Cleared out Laurentius' stock (preemptive RIP, buddy :smith:) and got the ring from Griggs.

I think what's thrown me off is that people have hyped up pyromancy as being this amazing problem solver but at no point has it really opened up the game for me? So often I need to be in the danger zone of attacks to actually hit things due to how awful the range and aiming are, and god forbid the enemy has a shield. The pacing is also just poo poo. Early game it feels piss weak and you've got gently caress and all for spell charges, next leg of the game you're cut off from Laurentius and stuff starts resisting fire. Or you're just constantly dealing with enemy swarms that give you zero space to sit back and cast or everything is perfectly inconveniently out of range.

I'm assuming things will eventually improve, but man. Like I guess if you're a totally clueless newbie being able to fling fireballs and instantly nuke basic hollows is a power trip but so far this has largely been more trouble than it's worth. By comparison, my Uchi + parry run just absolutely buzzsawed through the game with no obstacles whatsoever. I'm just baffled at the idea of it being referred to as easy mode.

Edit: Doing some research, it sounds like I need to start messing around with (Great) Combustion. And also try to get my flame just a smidge higher. Then I'll start seeing some serious poo poo.

Edit2: Every time I try to dig deeper into why everyone's so goddamn obsessed with pyromancy it inevitably circles back around to the same few reasons that aren't as generally applicable as people seem to think they are. :psyduck:

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 10, 2024

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Combustion and Great Combustion are your bread and butter. Treat them like the melee attacks they are. You can even party before using them for extra damage.

The thrown Pyromancies, Ball, Orb, etc are very situational.

Can use the cheapest Fire Ball to draw aggro and clean up with the Hand Axe.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Man I had completely forgotten that the Returned Asylum's Stray Demon's Titanite Slab gets dropped on the floor, so even after slowly chipping down this precursor Erdtree Avatar with a +5 Claymore for 5 minutes (taking a single hit in the process), I ended up missing out on the stupid slab.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Peteyfoot posted:

Also what determines your skintone when hollow? I was very amused to discover I have a secret Purple Jerky Man alter-ego (showing off with some Hornet Ring + fist weapon animations).

Your regular skin tone, but I don't think any modder uncovered the full colorspace conversion process for skin->jerky yet.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Man I had completely forgotten that the Returned Asylum's Stray Demon's Titanite Slab gets dropped on the floor, so even after slowly chipping down this precursor Erdtree Avatar with a +5 Claymore for 5 minutes (taking a single hit in the process), I ended up missing out on the stupid slab.

My Brother in Christ, BLEED that guy. All 3 of the Phatboi triplets are absolutely allergic to bleed. Even just the starting dagger the Thief gets melts them.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Okay, now that I've got a 13-14 flame and I'm running around with Combustion/GC as my main spells I'm starting to feel the oomph. Iron Golem got knocked on his rear end which I almost never manage to do even when I'm actively trying to, both the giants and silver knights in Anor Londo blow right the gently caress up, mimics can't even fully wake up if I'm on the ball...it's good stuff.

A lot of my other problems persist though. Unless I'm grinding up on an enemy, Combustion's aiming/hitbox just kind of decides to do what it wants at random. The lack of stagger is also felt for the times I can't just sneeze a few times in a row uninterrupted.

And then of course some enemies will just always be fuckfests no matter what you do and DS1 just be lovely like that, so I double KOed the Anor Londo titanite demon and got neither the demon titanite nor the souls from that piece of poo poo. :argh:

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

Frank Caskelot posted:

Don't kill Petrus while Rhea and the bodyguards are still at Firelink. They'll aggro to you, too, if you do.

After he's led them to the catacombs and returned alone, you can kill him at will.

Rheah left and I killed Petrus, do I need to absolve my sins before I can buy miracles from Reah later?

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Peteyfoot posted:

Rheah left and I killed Petrus, do I need to absolve my sins before I can buy miracles from Reah later?

No, you're good.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

Frank Caskelot posted:

No, you're good.

Great to know, thank you! Having Heal to supplement my estus flask has been great, I'm looking forward to having even more healing abilities as a melee build.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

I died an embarrasing number of times to Capra’s dogs today. Hardest player vs. camera in the whole series.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Can Petrus end up outside firelink shrine somewhere?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

He temporarily leaves with Rhea and the others, but returns a short while later acting confused about how he ditched them.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
So I've started replaying the game, on Switch this time so I can not be super obtrusive when we're watching TV. The first time I went through this game, I was a Pyromancer using greatswords and spears. Not too hard, but I decided to go pure Strength this time. Using the Zwiehander, and having a liiiifle bit of trouble. How much Stamina/Endirance should I have if I'm gonna fight with weapons this heavy? Match it with Vitality? I can get one good bonk in and then I really can't use any followup attacks due to my Stamina. What should I aim for here?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'd imagine the additional bonks will sort themselves out as you level up. You can probably look up the break point for the 2nd hit (and/or 2nd hit after a roll) and see if rushing that much stamina is worth it vs Extra-damage-from-Str vs Not-being-a-glass-cannon. But surely, if you land the first pancake, it's not the end of the world to have to back off and repeat it?

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

SHISHKABOB posted:

Can Petrus end up outside firelink shrine somewhere?

I don't think you can find him and his entourage in the catacombs, though that is where they're going story-wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

So I've started replaying the game, on Switch this time so I can not be super obtrusive when we're watching TV. The first time I went through this game, I was a Pyromancer using greatswords and spears. Not too hard, but I decided to go pure Strength this time. Using the Zwiehander, and having a liiiifle bit of trouble. How much Stamina/Endirance should I have if I'm gonna fight with weapons this heavy? Match it with Vitality? I can get one good bonk in and then I really can't use any followup attacks due to my Stamina. What should I aim for here?

The most important part is leveling the Zweihander. Put points in VIT and END at first, then start dumping into STR in the later game. If you have the master key, you can do a mad dash through drakes -> darkroot and see Andre and level up the Zwei to +5 before you face any boss.