Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I like Mario Sunshine on vibes alone. The beach island resort feel comes through the music and the lighting and it makes me feel peaceful. Galaxy, by contrast, has the spring-form power-up which is just awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Prophet of Nixon posted:

The Dreamcast had Jedi Power Battles and Demolition, which were both awesome!

so did ps1

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

A game I just bought arrived with a smashed case thanks to the valiant efforts from the local post office. I am livid and now need to find a case replacement.

These games being sold on retail that are just digital-only codes in a box, I've never bothered buying those before. Can anyone confirm if the insides are the exactly the same as the "standard" cases? I guess finding a cheap retail digital game and then getting a case replacement as a bonus could work if those come in the usual cases.

Also, are there outlets selling OEM Switch game cases out there?

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

They are the same case, I got Cruisn' Blast from GAME as a boxed digital thing for £12, and the case has the little cartridge slot.

And speaking of GAME!

https://www.eurogamer.net/uk-retailer-game-to-cease-video-game-trade-ins-staff-say?view=comments#comments-5j91o41

quote:

I worked as a manager of GAME for years, only recently left. Spoke to my old colleagues and they say it's due to the new tills. (If anyone has seen, the GAME tills are from 1995.) Frasers Group couldn't figure out how to program a trade in feature on the new tills as well as a loyalty programme so they may be going as well.

EDIT: Can confirm all have been removed:

GAME Reward Loyalty
Elite Rewards
Trade-Ins
Digital Products
Gift Cards
Pre-Orders
Pre-Owned
Product Extended Warranties
Digital games and credit aren't a thing anymore in GAME (due to how the code bank works).

There is just Consoles, Toys, Plushies and LEGO

Glad I got that one before the chop. Mike Ashley drown in piss you fat gently caress

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
GAME still exists?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Not for long it seems

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

abelwingnut posted:

i miss sf rush and the old cruisin' usa.

Only thing I remember about, I think, SF Rush was the hidden stunt area you could find on one of the tracks if you drove off the beaten path. I spent an inordinate amount of time in there

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

abelwingnut posted:

i miss sf rush and the old cruisin' usa.

Beetle Adventure Racing 2 when????

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Morpheus posted:

Only thing I remember about, I think, SF Rush was the hidden stunt area you could find on one of the tracks if you drove off the beaten path. I spent an inordinate amount of time in there

that was in rush 1 on track 6. there was a lot of other little hidden areas, some had keys and some were just little rooms with nothing in them that were just there to be found. i used to spend hours and hours just exploring that game.

rush 2 had a whole-rear end stunt track that was extremely fun, and then rush 2049 took it even further. they also both had tons of hidden areas and i likewise spent a shitload of time just exploring around in them.

i fuckin loved the rush games.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

iirc sf rush had fun music too.

and i don't even know what beetle adventure racing is!

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

abelwingnut posted:

Oh man if you can find a rom, you should try it. Maybe it doesn’t hold up anymore but it was one of the best uhh “exploration-focused” racing games out there.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Mons Hubris posted:

Beetle Adventure Racing 2 when????

Oh HELL yeah

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

that was in rush 1 on track 6. there was a lot of other little hidden areas, some had keys and some were just little rooms with nothing in them that were just there to be found. i used to spend hours and hours just exploring that game.

rush 2 had a whole-rear end stunt track that was extremely fun, and then rush 2049 took it even further. they also both had tons of hidden areas and i likewise spent a shitload of time just exploring around in them.

i fuckin loved the rush games.

The exploration and finding of secret areas in the Rush games is a core memory for me and I've been chasing that dragon ever since. Honestly it's kind of why I love the Goat Simulator games. Just running around exploring and finding dumb poo poo. I wish more games put a lot of effort into easter eggs.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Rush and BAR both had cool exploration/collection aspects that few other racing games had.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I wish mario kart were more like diddy kong racing in that respect

Rare were really drat good at secrets

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

when i first got san francisco rush my friend and i would just spend fuckin hours either driving around looking for poo poo or doing sick stunts in the park in track 4 and the hidden stunt arena in track 6.

i am fairly confident that either rush 1 or rush 2 was my most played n64 game.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Hell I remember dumping like $4 in the Rush arcade cab at the local pizza joint during a cousin’s birthday party trying to show everyone the cool secret loopdy loop that was hidden behind the break on the freeway.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

abelwingnut posted:

Beetle Adventure Racing is a cool game where the tracks are long and have so many alternate paths that you can take an entirely different route through every lap. There's a multiplayer battle mode where you collect little ladybugs and shoot each other. Loads of fun.

I loved the secret police car volkswagen you can unlock that makes the COMs pull over when you sound the siren.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

when i first got san francisco rush my friend and i would just spend fuckin hours either driving around looking for poo poo or doing sick stunts in the park in track 4
Yep. That's what my friend and I did. Just going full speed up those hills and launching into each other, or chasing after each other. Come to think of it I don't know how much we actually played the game "for real".

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Me and my buddies would play NASCAR 99 by going the wrong way on the track and trying to crash into the McDonald's car over and over again forever

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Driver San Francisco really took that kind of craziness and implemented it into the core gameplay. They need to rerelease that on stuff.

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
Mario Bros Wonder is bout to be humming. Y’all play docked handheld, or mixed?

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
I’m bout to dock up

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Almost exclusively docked but you’ll love the game either way. It’s truly…wonderful :dadjoke:

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Maudib Arakkis posted:

I’m bout to dock up

I thought you sold your switch and hated us all. Or was that the Xbox thread?
Either way, welcome back? (When your probation ends anyway)

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

otter posted:

I thought you sold your switch and hated us all. Or was that the Xbox thread?
Either way, welcome back? (When your probation ends anyway)

Tried to sell multiple times but no takers.

Is there any way to return/refund a game from the E shop. Copped Civ 6 and don’t care for it.

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

Also been wondering what the best Pokémon game is? Your boy came up on Pokémon blue and I’m trying to cop something close to the original.

Also is switch two dropping this year? If there’s no backwards compatibility you’re boys gonna be punching the air. I’m talking both cartridge and E shop back compatible.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
cop a .45 to the dome. right between the eyes. pow! haha

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Stux posted:

cop a .45 to the dome. right between the eyes. pow! haha

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Maudib Arakkis posted:

Mario Bros Wonder is bout to be humming. Y’all play docked handheld, or mixed?

i dont play the switch

Vakal
May 11, 2008

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The Driver San Francisco really took that kind of craziness and implemented it into the core gameplay. They need to rerelease that on stuff.

That driver's test in the first game though. Jesus Christ.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Almost exclusively docked but you’ll love the game either way. It’s truly…wonderful :dadjoke:

My habit of watching YouTube on my big TV while playing Switch makes playing docked impossible, sadly.

Also I put a dust cover on my dock, and now I'm too lazy to take it off

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Libluini posted:

My habit of watching YouTube on my big TV while playing Switch makes playing docked impossible, sadly.

This is why i bought an iPad :v:
Switch on tv; YouTube, forums, and discord on the tablet.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Maudib Arakkis posted:

Also been wondering what the best Pokémon game is? Your boy came up on Pokémon blue and I’m trying to cop something close to the original.

Also is switch two dropping this year? If there’s no backwards compatibility you’re boys gonna be punching the air. I’m talking both cartridge and E shop back compatible.

you're not my boy

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
Our old timey first-person dungeon crawler RPG Legend of Grimrock was just released on Switch! :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDliZiva-4k

It works pretty nice on the device and I've had a good time playing through the game again while testing. Here's a video review if you want a more in-depth look into the port and the game overall:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFW04cOpQjg

If you have any questions let me know

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That looks cool, I played it on pc years ago and liked it so I'll check it out on Switch.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Maudib Arakkis posted:

Maybe you should “cop” a loving clue!!!!!!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Shammypants posted:

i dont play the switch

we know

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Maudib Arakkis posted:

Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee are quasi remakes/quasi sequels to the original Red and Blue. They use a Pokemon Go-esque catching mechanic with motion controls, but if you play handheld you don't have to deal with that. I'd start there if you're looking to get back into Pokemon.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee are quasi remakes/quasi sequels to the original Red and Blue. They use a Pokemon Go-esque catching mechanic with motion controls, but if you play handheld you don't have to deal with that. I'd start there if you're looking to get back into Pokemon.

Let’s Go is kind of weird storywise in that regard, technically Red and Blue’s journey already happened yet the exact same scenario with Team Rocket happens again, complete with Giovanni being back at the Viridian City gym

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Pokémon Black/White 2 was the last one I remember really enjoying due to the insanely good postgame tournaments. Lots of people love Heart Gold / Soul Silver for the great length as well. Most of the newer ones feel like they were products of crunch and laughably bad programming.