Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
The zweihander overhead swing (2h r2 I think but it's been a while) also just straight up pancakes or staggers most enemies. Aside from being immensely satisfying you can abuse this to keep enemies from fighting back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Did a lot of meditative doinking around because thanks to several cursed moments I ended up at O and S with no humanity and online has been spotty this far into the event. Plus my +4 Furysword might be loving with matchmaking, idk.

Trudged all the way back to the Depths to accomplish some relatively fruitful humanity farming. Cleared out the demon infestation under Ceaseless for the souls. My flame's now up to A+2. Went ahead and killed the Darkroot hydra for that sweet, sweet Dusk crown. Also did a loop of inner Darkroot, once again remembering what a loving weird, barren area it is.

I keep waffling on doing Painted World first so I can just farm up the rest of the souls I need from the phalanx dudes but I'm also sick of not having fast travel.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You can't use fast travel in Painted World until you clear it anyway

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
You actually can't fast travel out from Painted World, period, in my experience.

But what I'm talking about is not wanting to manually make the entire trip down to Quelana for like the sixth time.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You sort of can, as long as you don't sit at the bonfire. Once you've previously escaped it, you can Homeward Bone out. Of course if you sit, that sets your bone destination to the Painted World.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

There is a ONE WEIRD TRICK to get out of the painted world if you’re having a bad time.

https://youtu.be/uhsYNPR90M4

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Dabir posted:

You sort of can, as long as you don't sit at the bonfire. Once you've previously escaped it, you can Homeward Bone out. Of course if you sit, that sets your bone destination to the Painted World.

Yeah, but that's technically not really fast travel then. :v: And I'm gonna be straight up farming the goopy phalanx dudes so I have no choice but to sit at the bonfire.

Though normally the bigger issue tends to be that around the same time I'm concerned with going back and forth from the Painted World, the Anor Londo fire keeper has left under mysterious circumstances... :ninja:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

John Murdoch posted:

Did a lot of meditative doinking around because thanks to several cursed moments I ended up at O and S with no humanity and online has been spotty this far into the event. Plus my +4 Furysword might be loving with matchmaking, idk.
The weapon level matchmaking is quite generous, it's really hard to get in a position where it actually has a real impact.
A +4 unique weapon is the equivalent of a +13 normal weapon, which can match with weapon levels 7-15. So, all the way down to people who've just done a couple of large chunk upgrades, and all the way up to people who have a totally maxed out weapon.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I always assume the worst because when you see newbies still crawling through Anor Londo with the Drake sword, who knows what level weapon any given player is going to be lugging around. Though I think the more obvious problem is that DS1 makes entering co-op such a laborious and risky process that a lot of people flatout don't bother or get chased away by invaders. I'm also an impatient motherfucker so I really only give the biggest hotspots a couple of minutes tops before moving on with my life; I'd much rather play the game than just sit on my rear end blindly waiting. Combined with it being, what, 2 weeks into the event...I'm not expecting to be getting hits every five seconds but I'd expect to see at least a nibble at O+S at the very least.

Progress: 2 for 2 on RtLs with rear end in a top hat invaders trolling around Anor Londo. Also 2 for 2 on assholes invading in front of Bed of Chaos though this time it wasn't a loving dark beader, just a generic mage, and I would've absolutely toasted their rear end if a chaos eater hadn't dissolved all of my loving gear while facing away from me with its nebulous acid spray hitbox five seconds beforehand. On the other hand, had a few other randos trickle in - the rare blue cop after I darkened Anor Londo as well as a Patches cosplayer in Demon Ruins. Neither were prepared for the power of the big sneeze. :getin:

Otherwise it was a mostly smooth shot through a whole slew of objectives. Got someone in for O+S (Big O), blitzed through Painted World as usual, farmed up the 100k souls I needed very, very quickly thanks to Chaos Fire Storm. Went and got my A+5 flame and the rest of the spells from Quelana. Get infested so I could nab the last few spells from Eingy. Skipped to upper Izalith early so I could squish the bug for Solaire and farm the titanite demon for the last few drops I needed to +5 the Furysword. Knocked out the pyromancer and the last Kirk invasion while I was at it, plus grabbed Chaos Fire Whip. Zipped back to Anor Londo to progress Solaire along, upgrade my Furysword, and delete Gwyndolin in one fell swoop. Went back to Demon Ruins, once again got a summon at Firesage of all bosses but they didn't do much and Firesage actually melts to fire just dandy. On the other hand, Solaire brought his A game and dunked on Centipede Demon for me.

After that it was one last bit of clean-up in Izalith, followed by actually managing to do Bed of Chaos in one shot (using the reset trick, anyway). :toot: Talked to Quelana for the final pyromancy in the game and the cheevo. Felt bad and decided to give saving Seigmeyer an honest try and for once (because I actually pre-cleared the chaos eaters enough that he didn't immediately jump to his death) I actually saved the poor dope! :woop: For five minutes, anyway! :smith: Then I said hey why not at least get started on Duke's and after a blur of rolling the gently caress over the entire place I'm sitting pretty, ready to clear out the garden and head down to Seath. But by then I needed a break.

Definitely feeling the power now, though for how much work I put into the build I sure loving hope I'd be by now. I took out Izalith first so I could past all the pesky fire resistances as quickly as possible, though being able to delete the demons with a Great Fire Ball or two was quite nice. Nothing in Duke's could stand in my way beyond the snake soldiers occasionally deciding to be dicks. Though if anything's been a consistent theme this run, it's been finding out thanks to Combustion's tiny range that there's so many goddamn grab attacks in this game. Also so many more enemies can do that cheap loving backhop bullshit than I ever realized.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jan 14, 2024

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Oolacile city has surprisingly high invasion activity, got some good fights there with my Honest no duping claymore build without optimal poise gear.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Oh man thinking I'd level a bit so I could take down Seath I've gone into the Painted World unprepared, and didn't realise you need hella toxic recovery moss and such... Have I hosed this run? Everything in there is kicking my rear end. gently caress! This is where my last run ended as well, I thought I'd improved and was just imagining it being tough. But no, it's tough. Is there anywhere to get toxic recovery stuff in the painted world?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Oh man thinking I'd level a bit so I could take down Seath I've gone into the Painted World unprepared, and didn't realise you need hella toxic recovery moss and such... Have I hosed this run? Everything in there is kicking my rear end. gently caress! This is where my last run ended as well, I thought I'd improved and was just imagining it being tough. But no, it's tough.

you can try to beeline through the flamethrower guys, run down the stairs on the opposite side of the big round thing you see in the middle, and just focus on the other enemies instead. only the flame guys spew toxic mist when they die (ranged works well too)

and if you feel under levelled, make sure not to attack the boss in the end. you can peacefully drop down the plank (and kill her later)

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Oh man thinking I'd level a bit so I could take down Seath I've gone into the Painted World unprepared, and didn't realise you need hella toxic recovery moss and such... Have I hosed this run? Everything in there is kicking my rear end. gently caress! This is where my last run ended as well, I thought I'd improved and was just imagining it being tough. But no, it's tough. Is there anywhere to get toxic recovery stuff in the painted world?

If you manage to beeline past the mushroomhead hollows to the round structure, you can kill the undead dragon on the bridge (bait a vomit attack on one side and run in to whack the foot on the other side, repeat until dead) and then do a jumping attack on its dead butt at the end of the bridge to make it stand up, run between its legs, drop down to the lower level of the bridge and run unimpeded to the boss fog. Then hop down from the ledge without bothering Priscilla.

Edit: Acquire antitoxic moss and return to exact revenge.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
If by some chance you have a source of fire damage (even some errant fire bombs), killing the toxic hollows with it will completely negate their toxic gas.

You can also just out-range them in melee such that you can backhop or roll away the instant their health drops to zero and avoid the gas completely, but unsurprisingly that can be tricky to do consistently.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Are there any downsides to Divine weapons in PVE, other than the damage being lower than Lighting?

Also, there is someone snoring in Darkroot Garden. I heard it right as you exit the Titanite Demon's room by the Blacksmith, and then heard it again at the Artorias's Crest door bonfire. It was really creeping me out since I was playing late at night with headphones. Today I can't replicate it now that I'm playing during the day. :gonk:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
There's some stuff that resists divine like any other damage type, but I have no idea what the spread is.

I think I know what you're talking about with the snoring sound, but I'm pretty sure it's just a stock ambient noise.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Minotaurus Rex posted:

painted world

Check my previous post for a video on how to skip the entire level.

Run past everything until you get to the undead dragon, and then stand in a specific spot where you can just drop down to the bridge with Priscilla at the end.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

John Murdoch posted:

There's some stuff that resists divine like any other damage type, but I have no idea what the spread is.

I think I know what you're talking about with the snoring sound, but I'm pretty sure it's just a stock ambient noise.

Technically I think divine and occult are just magic damage with a multiplier that kicks in with certain enemies. Plus that one effect Divine has in the Catacombs/tomb chain

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'

axolotl farmer posted:

Check my previous post for a video on how to skip the entire level.

Run past everything until you get to the undead dragon, and then stand in a specific spot where you can just drop down to the bridge with Priscilla at the end.

Hah that’s pretty neat! I’m already out of the painted world tho, killed the dragon, jump attacked the glitched rear end dragon legs then just strolled past Priscilla. I’ll be back with more moss to do the area properly and farm that phalanx which was my original plan in going there. Wonder what the deal is with those dragon legs

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Oh, that's because the legs are technically an enemy that's set to never wake up. Jump attacks are able to carry you over a ledge without being interrupted, unlike most other attacks, so when they hit an enemy they call the same "respond to a grab" routine as plunging attacks - that's the routine that calls to perform the plunging stab on the Asylum Demon, for example - and part of that involves the enemy's animation resetting to neutral before they check to see if they have a special plunging attack state.

E: Found my source for that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NHJpfYwhKs

Dabir fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jan 16, 2024

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
So I accidentally killed Siegemeyer in Sen's Fortress. (Sorry, bud.) Is the miracle that he eventually gives you exclusive? Or can you buy it from Rhea / someone else later? I can't remember. I'm just soul and item duping my way through this run, but still trying to get all the weapons / magic / etc for the trophies. I think I missed Hush in Sen's, too. No matter how many times I play it, I still get mixed up in there.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Paying2Lurk posted:

So I accidentally killed Siegemeyer in Sen's Fortress. (Sorry, bud.) Is the miracle that he eventually gives you exclusive? Or can you buy it from Rhea / someone else later? I can't remember. I'm just soul and item duping my way through this run, but still trying to get all the weapons / magic / etc for the trophies. I think I missed Hush in Sen's, too. No matter how many times I play it, I still get mixed up in there.

Afaik, you can only get it from Siegmeyer. You need to play up to ng+2 anyway if you're aiming to get all the weapons, so get it from him later.

Edit: Oh right, you said you were soul duping, nvm.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Thankfully I was less stupid and didn't kill him in NG+ so I was able to get Siegmeyer's miracle to complete the trophy. Then I just had to beat O&S again for Smough's soul to make the hammer. Aside from having to farm for the channeler trident and two of the silver knight weapons, that was a quick and breezy completionist run. It felt nice tearing through all the enemies who terrorized me so much all those years ago. Hah! Except the Anor Lando archers, those guys were still dicks that I died a bunch to in NG+

Random thoughts
    -Soul duping is easy and I'd recommend it to anyone struggling with the game. You can use it for a quick boost or to get stupidly overleveled.
    -Item duping is more tedious. I probably won't do it again in a "normal" playthrough, but it's awesome for getting all the boss weapons.
    -I totally forgot that you can ring both bells in like 20 minutes once you know what you're doing.
    -Quelaag's Fury Sword is nice, but not as useful for some bosses. I still prefer big bonks.
    -Pyromancy seemed just okay. Even the chaos level spells didn't feel that powerful.
    -Still don't get Bed of Chaos. What a weird fight.
    -Parrying Gwyn's opening attack feels good.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
My pyromancy playthrough stalled because honestly I think I'm just bored of DS1 and after two playthroughs of ER I'm extra spoiled on having things be more convenient and all around smoother to play. The playstyle itself being a mostly one button affair does not help.

I thought I heard Seath is weak to fire but it didn't seem like he was. He still got roasted, but at an entirely mild pace. Maybe it was something to do with me using Fire Whip as my main damage source on him? I would've thought it'd be a perfect fit. I did also have Dusk's Crown off because I assumed having it on in the magic zone full of magic damage would be a really dumb idea.

Didn't have that problem with NIto, he cooked pretty good, but still not OMGWTFBBQ damage. But again, maybe I'm just awful at picking the right spells. Pretty sure I just used the usual combination of Combustion/Great Combustion/Fire Whip. Maybe I need to start slotting in Chaos Fire Whip more often?

Sanctuary Guardian, now there's a boss that just crumples to fire damage. Last playthrough he was a nightmare because his AI wouldn't chill the gently caress out. This time he was nice enough to actually do his shockwave attack multiple times and all it took was a few openings to utterly obliterate his health pool.

After some awkward fits trying to pat my head and rub my tummy, I managed to cook Artorias once I figured out Chaos Fire Ball is exactly what he deserves when he tries to go super saiyan.

And then that's where I left off, only got what, five more bosses to do (Manus, Kalameet, Sif, Four Kings, Gwyn) but I dunno if I'm gonna bother. The same problem happens every year, I'm really interested in interacting with the community and doing co-op, but it's always a huge pain to consistently find people past the first couple of days let alone multiple weeks in. Last year I did PVP and that was a mixed bag as well and I can't really do that this year anyway because I went Fraampt over Kaathe.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also the #1 thing that fucks me up with the Furysword is it having the stupid backhop attack in place of a kick. That thing has gotten me killed I think at least twice, which is a terrible combination with a weapon that runs off of humanity. :argh:

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

John Murdoch posted:

Also the #1 thing that fucks me up with the Furysword is it having the stupid backhop attack in place of a kick. That thing has gotten me killed I think at least twice, which is a terrible combination with a weapon that runs off of humanity. :argh:

Oh god that killed me so many times. Just backflip right off a ledge.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Paying2Lurk posted:

-Parrying Gwyn's opening attack feels good.

Indeed it does.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ0GXwJmhLo

Edit: Fixed embedding.

Frank Caskelot fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jan 25, 2024

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Went up to murder Ingward, and see a goddamn red vagrant on the roof below. Head back down to jump the broken stairs and get to the roof. As soon as I get up the stairs I see a white bullet hell heading towards me, and I'm instadead.

Never got to kill a red one , they're so goddamn rare now :negative:

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

axolotl farmer posted:

Went up to murder Ingward, and see a goddamn red vagrant on the roof below. Head back down to jump the broken stairs and get to the roof. As soon as I get up the stairs I see a white bullet hell heading towards me, and I'm instadead.

I saw a red vagrant in the Great Hollow and promptly proceeded to plunge to my death.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I wish they'd kept vagrants

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

axolotl farmer posted:

Probably the most memorable encounter I've ever had with a vagrant just for how trollish this position is

I actually encountered a second on that character although this was much later after I'd converted her into a mid level invader

I waited a bit to see if the host would come up there for possibly one of the most unique encounters ever but they just bolted for the fog gate like normal completely unaware :negative:. I imagine that happens to most vagrants.
Anecdotally, I've encountered vagrants in this Anor Londo spot twice out of my four total, despite almost never coming up here on average.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

LMAO that's literally the worst spot in the entire game I can think of.

Maybe somewhere hard to access in Blighttown with the toxic dart guys nearby? Maybe?

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Rafters would also be pretty funny even if not as actively dangerous.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
Bed of Chaos is indeed stupid as gently caress

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
And yeah what was the deal with all those dragon butts?!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Hey, they're the Bounding Demons of Izalith, pal

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

put the game on hiatus due to things like work happening, and went back in at it. it’s pretty crazy how powerful magic is in this game. so far I only had to do more than one attempt at Capra, Seatb and Bed of Chaos. I was fearing the four kings, but somehow managed to get them down first try almost exclusively with homing crystal soul mass. I even went for the DLC and took down the guardian and in one go :peanut:

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

chickened out right before Artorias

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

ulvir posted:

put the game on hiatus due to things like work happening, and went back in at it. it’s pretty crazy how powerful magic is in this game. so far I only had to do more than one attempt at Capra, Seatb and Bed of Chaos. I was fearing the four kings, but somehow managed to get them down first try almost exclusively with homing crystal soul mass. I even went for the DLC and took down the guardian and in one go :peanut:

I was dreading the Four Kings fight when playing caster, so I went and did the DLC first. Afterwards, Four Kings was pretty anticlimactic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5V-phBUjU0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Minotaurus Rex posted:

And yeah what was the deal with all those dragon butts?!

I always thought of those guys as being dinosaur butts for some reason. I realize this makes no sense thematically but that’s the vibe they give off