Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

How often do Americans discuss sectional conflict and the Nullification Crisis, and when they do, how do they discus it?

I had a seminar on the political crises in Antebellum America, but I don’t actually live there to know what it means to normal people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

How often do Americans discuss sectional conflict and the Nullification Crisis, and when they do, how do they discus it?

I had a seminar on the political crises in Antebellum America, but I don’t actually live there to know what it means to normal people.

if you used the phrase "nullification crisis" outside a college history class you would just get blank stares, and possibly called a slur

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
The US Civil War follows the same teaching methodology as WW2 in the US: personalize it, contain it to a section of the population, then once the war is done you can declare it over.

At the graduate and post-grad level its different obviously but up through undergrad I think the Civil War is mostly discussed as 'Evil slaveowners decided to rebel because they loved owning slaves, then we fought a war and the slaveowners lost." Subtextually, after the war we were a qualitatively different country because the tensions that led to the Civil War were totally contained in that rebelling slaveowner class.

Might've been different elsewhere, I went to a poor public school and a low-quality state university.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

zetamind2000 posted:

civil war 2 if biden wins

finally a cogent harm reduction argument for biden

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Penisaurus Sex posted:

The US Civil War follows the same teaching methodology as WW2 in the US: personalize it, contain it to a section of the population, then once the war is done you can declare it over.

At the graduate and post-grad level its different obviously but up through undergrad I think the Civil War is mostly discussed as 'Evil slaveowners decided to rebel because they loved owning slaves, then we fought a war and the slaveowners lost." Subtextually, after the war we were a qualitatively different country because the tensions that led to the Civil War were totally contained in that rebelling slaveowner class.

Might've been different elsewhere, I went to a poor public school and a low-quality state university.

I went to a public school in Oklahoma and we were simultaneously taught this and that the South were noble doomed revolutionaries fighting for their rights against tyrannical Northern industrialists

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

FrancisFukyomama posted:

if weren’t for civil war Joe
I’d have Balkanized a long time ago
where are my governors where did they go
where are my governors civil war Joe

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
The LegalEagle guy sounds kinda panicked by what's going on down in Texas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dhvry6E0jA

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Mister Bates posted:

I went to a public school in Oklahoma and we were simultaneously taught this and that the South were noble doomed revolutionaries fighting for their rights against tyrannical Northern industrialists

The Lost Cause is True History, OP. :smugbert:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
texas can't declare independence because they are a "taker" taxes wise and would collapse if the federal spigot got turned off. this poo poo is just saber rattling trying to drum up a fake crisis so they can bully the witless democrats into doing their bidding (the democrats already were but this isn't important)

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/realErikDPrince/status/1750849852353953962

show's still on

Morbus
May 18, 2004

FrancisFukyomama posted:

if weren’t for civil war Joe
I’d have Balkanized a long time ago
where are my governors where did they go
where are my governors civil war Joe

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Peanut President posted:

texas can't declare independence because they are a "taker" taxes wise and would collapse if the federal spigot got turned off. this poo poo is just saber rattling trying to drum up a fake crisis so they can bully the witless democrats into doing their bidding (the democrats already were but this isn't important)

lol people said the same thing about South Carolina - and it did collapse, eventually, but that didn’t stop them from trying

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

i say swears online posted:

this is the most important election of our lifetimes

yeah, the color of and letter behind the name of the dementia addled racist rapist in the white house is super important

all of history will judge us on the preserved aesthetics

because nothing beside will remain

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Finally someone takes a stand against male circumcision.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1751093117372239888

abbott seeks the support of bharat for his bid while newsom is hedging bets with the middle kingdom

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Today's developments:

1. Texas Attorney General says he stands with Abbott and they're not going to follow the Supreme Court order
2. Some states have begun sending their own National Guard troops to support Texas. Various militias are also heading out.
3. The Border Patrol Union says they have no intention of complying with Biden's order to cut the wire. BP is the most sociopathic and racist faction in the entire government. Why the gently caress did Biden think they were going to help him save immigrants in the first place?
4. Biden's 24 hour deadline has passed
5. “It would give me, as President, a new emergency authority to shut down the border when it becomes overwhelmed. And if given that authority, I would use it the day I sign the bill into law.”
https://x.com/POTUS/status/1751044359569490418?s=20

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Weekend at Bernie's-rear end balk

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
A real president would deploy Operation Paul Bunyan 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Frosted Flake posted:

lol people said the same thing about South Carolina - and it did collapse, eventually, but that didn’t stop them from trying

There's a reason these guys admire countries like Russia, Hungary, Poland.

They will take a loss in standard of living if it means they get to live in an ethnostate.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/sethharpesq/status/1751002480060612709
https://twitter.com/sethharpesq/status/1751006280628457959

true reason why the us is balking: the drug routes are being targeted

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

weird foreskin but okay

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Inshallah the DOW will go up, on this Wikipedia page.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1751093117372239888

abbott seeks the support of bharat for his bid while newsom is hedging bets with the middle kingdom
So, Balkanizing into Mississipia, California, and West California?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

weird foreskin but okay

that's what conservatives are into these days

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Peanut President posted:

Counterpoint: Brexit

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
seems like a real crisis to me

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

Counterpoint: Brexit
Yeah. Texas is only a "taker" state because the democrats have flooded the state with welfare bribes trying to turn it blue, while strangling opportunities for businesses. Free it from the shackles of the federal government and emancipate Texans, and Texas will become a beacon of industry and freedom that will soon outshine America itself.

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Peanut President posted:

or perhaps china is ready to start the most daring Belt and Road initiative ever attempted

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

5. “It would give me, as President, a new emergency authority to shut down the border when it becomes overwhelmed. And if given that authority, I would use it the day I sign the bill into law.”
https://x.com/POTUS/status/1751044359569490418?s=20

what a loving cuck, lol

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
talkin bout biden the same way we talk about the roman emperors who hosed the republic up (i don't know roman history)

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

not sure i'd compare biden to caesar/augustus

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Wafflecopper posted:

now entering the year of the six presidents

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Wafflecopper posted:

I think abbott is caesar/augustus in this metaphor

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Et tu, Cornpop?

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Okuteru posted:

There's a reason these guys admire countries like Russia, Hungary, Poland.

They will take a loss in standard of living if it means they get to live in an ethnostate.

this isn't quite true. they'll take take a loss in standard of living and live in squalor if it means black people have to as well

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

redleader posted:

luckily we're gonna avoid that future

as trump october surprised himself by getting hospitalized for covid, after denying it for 10 months, so too will he october surprise himself by getting an abortion.

apaic and mossad will rig the vote for biden. they won't have to with the abortion scandal and all but they do anyway just because a zionist conspiracy keeping trump out of office is hilarious.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Peanut President posted:

Texas has a lot of oil and gas. I'm sure that alone would cover any loss in federal revenue.

It's also the reason it would be civil war. The USA isn't going to peacefully part with such a huge portion of its energy supply.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

OhFunny posted:

Texas has a lot of oil and gas. I'm sure that alone would cover any loss in federal revenue.
That'd require them to nationalize it.