Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

LeeMajors posted:

I can’t get through a high honor play through because I murder every Lemoyne raider i see, no matter where.

I'm just mucking around in chapter 2, and getting to Rhodes and beating the up all the lemoyne raiders that are hanging around talking poo poo is super satisfying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

rotinaj posted:

You need to use the howdy button more

And be nice to your horse more

I’m always nice to everyone else. And my horse loves me.

But I’ll inevitably hogtie and execute a raider in front of a billion people and I end up with a huge bounty and body count.

I have no regrets.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I'm just mucking around in chapter 2, and getting to Rhodes and beating the up all the lemoyne raiders that are hanging around talking poo poo is super satisfying

Yeah just hogtie one and blow him up with dynamite. Throw a Molotov into a group of them. Hog tie and throw em off a bridge. Or into a small puddle.

It’s very fun and makes me feel like a total psychopath.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 28, 2024

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I was genuinely a good (cow) boy, but I exterminated every klansman I saw with extreme prejudice

And that eugenicist guy

Again, I'm always impressed with RDR2 and its nuanced depiction of the period. It's so easy to think everyone in The Past was racist, homophobic, etc. But people were all kinds, just like they are now, and it's not in the least bit implausible that this tough outdoorsman would despise racists, and be friends with fancy lads

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Rockstar imo have always been very good at crossing racial and ethnic lines through setting up situations that allow for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06qTvjMEwlo

(relations in the real world America were shall we say not great between black men and asian men in 1992)

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 28, 2024

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Barry Foster posted:

I was genuinely a good (cow) boy, but I exterminated every klansman I saw with extreme prejudice

And that eugenicist guy

Again, I'm always impressed with RDR2 and its nuanced depiction of the period. It's so easy to think everyone in The Past was racist, homophobic, etc. But people were all kinds, just like they are now, and it's not in the least bit implausible that this tough outdoorsman would despise racists, and be friends with fancy lads

You can just beat the poo poo out of the dudes that show up in Rhodes and nobody cares, lol.

e] Yea and it's robbing them that gives you the honour hit, too.

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 28, 2024

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I was surprised when the cops did nothing as I chased the eugenicist in St. Denis all the way onto a boat, hogtied him, threw him on my horse and rode out of town (an alligator ate him later). I wonder if its because he technically 'started' the conflict and I didn't use a gun or anything like that. I've noticed you can also pretty much knock out anyone who can be goaded into a fistfight, but tif you rob them afterwards suddenly everyone's a witness

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

The game just allowing you to do whatever you want to the eugenicist owns

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4TOYbEOy10&t=24s

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

He's a complete idiot but I'm so mad you can't save Holmes, the debtor in Chapter 3 with the cougar in the cave.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

She makes a compelling argument :hmmyes:

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.

Wolfsheim posted:

I was surprised when the cops did nothing as I chased the eugenicist in St. Denis all the way onto a boat, hogtied him, threw him on my horse and rode out of town (an alligator ate him later). I wonder if its because he technically 'started' the conflict and I didn't use a gun or anything like that. I've noticed you can also pretty much knock out anyone who can be goaded into a fistfight, but tif you rob them afterwards suddenly everyone's a witness

You can stroll up to the eugenicist guy, unload a double barreled shotgun to his face with a cop next to you and you will still get positive honor for doing that.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

i love that the eugenicist is there as a free ticket for everyone to do the most psycho poo poo possible in the game

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I got a wanted level for chucking a molotov at him but I assume it's because the fire spooked some non-racists

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

What can I say RDR2's story has captured my mind yet again, so I feel obligated to write about some stuff.

What's on my mind right now is how obvious it is to me, and yet not to others, that Arthur's change of heart has little-to-nothing to do with his TB diagnosis. I've seen multiple people elsewhere saying, "it was Arthur's impending death which forced him to change."

And yet Arthur says plainly in Chapter 2 when he rescues Sean "Nothing means more to me than this gang. [...] I would happily die for it." Does anybody truly believe if Arthur had gotten that diagnosis in Chapter 2 or 3, he'd suddenly change his ways?

The fact is, Arthur was pretty much done with Dutch in Chapter 5, before the diagnosis. How else to explain his asking Dutch point blank "you gonna strangle me next?" Arthur has never been shy about questioning Dutch's decisions or even his motives, but this is obviously a whole other level of...disillusionment and doubt. In the previous chapter, Arthur declares Dutch the best man he knows. Now he thinks Dutch might murder him.

No, his dying has almost nothing to do with his decisions in Chapter 6. What really changed was he no longer believed Dutch was leading him or - more importantly - his loved ones anywhere but certain death. His own death means very little to Arthur.

That's my take, anyway.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Feb 9, 2024

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, Arthur was well on the road to disillusionment with Dutch but still devoted to what he saw of as the the spirit/intent of the gang, and as more of those he felt the closet to fell off the board I feel like it just strengthened both those ideas for him. The only thing I think the TB "decided" for him was that he needed to do something NOW rather than keep coasting along doing the best he could and hoping the "old" Dutch would return and doing his best to hold the rest together in the meantime. So he looks to John and his family and decides to give them the chance to make a fresh start, like he never could even when he did have a child of his own, and a chance for John to be with the woman he loved which was a decision Arthur hadn't been able to make even when given the chance.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Feb 9, 2024

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I was thinking on what the "spirit animal" of the other gang members would be, and I never noticed this:

Also further reading:

quote:

Dutch = Lion - Represents his fierce and proud nature and is also the National animal of the Netherlands

Absolutely perfect.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Dutch strangling that lady also perfectly crystallizes the moment he turns from revolutionary ideologue to common bandit.

He spends the whole time decrying the Western industrial order's exploitation of the underclasses but when he actually interacts with them, a peasant woman on a hosed up sugar plantation island trying to extort him, his first instinct is to murder her to protect himself.

This moment is when Dutch becomes the sort of villain he's been railing against, just of a lesser degree

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I do like how Arthur's turn against Dutch is a series of turning points, rather than one big moment. We as the player can see the red flags and hypocrisy creeping in way before Arthur does.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

NikkolasKing posted:

I was thinking on what the "spirit animal" of the other gang members would be, and I never noticed this:

Also further reading:

Absolutely perfect.

gently caress, this is making me think of lion = dutch symbolism

Arthur has to kill a lion he thinks is a dog

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

In all my billions of posts in this thread, I don't think I've ever talked about how much I love the Rhodes Gunsmith event. It's not a main mission, it's not a side mission, and yet the writing and voice-acting in it is so drat good. I watch a lot of first time players of RDR2 to get their reactions to stuff, and one of them just instantly shot the Gunsmith before he could explain himself. She missed all of it. drat shame.

I was prepared to hate and shoot him, too, but then that backstory out of nowhere. I just couldn't do it after that. What do you all do?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I shot him and stole his poo poo

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

OldMemes posted:

I do like how Arthur's turn against Dutch is a series of turning points, rather than one big moment. We as the player can see the red flags and hypocrisy creeping in way before Arthur does.

This game does lingering looks of skepticism better than most.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

NikkolasKing posted:

I was prepared to hate and shoot him, too, but then that backstory out of nowhere. I just couldn't do it after that. What do you all do?

I already assumed he'd lost a kid because if you look at the sign it reads "J Feeny & Son" under "gunsmith", yet Feeny Sr is manning the store and in the west that just wouldn't be. I didn't walk by the basement window til quite some time after doing lots of business with the man. The interaction in the basement was sad and I was real glad to help resolve it but I doubt he's gonna move on if it's still on the sign. I felt sorry for him but there's worse in Rhodes.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 11, 2024

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Is that scenario the same if you look in the basement as Arthur or John?

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

In all my billions of posts in this thread, I don't think I've ever talked about how much I love the Rhodes Gunsmith event. It's not a main mission, it's not a side mission, and yet the writing and voice-acting in it is so drat good. I watch a lot of first time players of RDR2 to get their reactions to stuff, and one of them just instantly shot the Gunsmith before he could explain himself. She missed all of it. drat shame.

I’m only in it for the free Lancaster out of the gate.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Just what the HELL is goin on here

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

had one of those weird vivid video game dreams from staying up too late playing RDR2 where arthur is exploring the mountains and then sees the nibelheim reactor in the distance and suddenly i was shooting weird monster guys with a repeater

then i woke up sad that the RDR + FFVII mashup that my brain had spawned wasn't real

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

"Planet's dyin', Dutch."

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

arthur saying "yer okay boah" and patting the chocobo he's riding

bill williamson screwing up planting the mako reactor bomb so you have to shoot dozens of shinra guards to escape

robbing the golden saucer and having to escape through that hotel area that's done up like a haunted house

all the pieces are there

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
He could actually pull off "let's mosey"

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

You can’t change…gravity *dutch downstabs an old lady with a huge sword*

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Ainsley McTree posted:

You can’t change…gravity *dutch drops a grand piano on an old lady*

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Sadie beating the gently caress out of dudes with magic brass knuckles would be pretty on brand

Even though he isn’t anywhere near the class of man Barrett is, I can’t think of a better candidate to have a hand replaced with a Gatling gun than Micah

Maybe Pearson, or Miss Grimshaw?

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Micah would steal all your materia when you get near his hometown.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Mary-Beth is Aerith

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Stupid question, how do I pick a quest back up? For the gunfighter biography, does that just show up on later chapters? I'm still in chapter 2.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Stupid question, how do I pick a quest back up? For the gunfighter biography, does that just show up on later chapters? I'm still in chapter 2.

Go to the bar in Valentine (no, the other bar in Valentine) and talk to the guy at the counter if you haven't yet.
After that, you look at the photos he gives you, I think.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKhHwpkL17o

this video but instead its Arthur saying howdy

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Nicodemus Dumps posted:

Go to the bar in Valentine (no, the other bar in Valentine) and talk to the guy at the counter if you haven't yet.
After that, you look at the photos he gives you, I think.

I already did the first one, in the swamp, and then the guy was gone and I have no way to either mail him my answers or find a new gunfighter. Feels like I'm overlooking something in a stupid manner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Philippe posted:

"Planet's dyin', Dutch."

Being totally serious here, Dutch is probably more Barret than anyone else in FFVII's party.

Cornwall would be a better villain if he had two underlings with distinct and lame evil laughs.