Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Pissing on someone's corpse while everyone remarks the dong is huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Golden Bee posted:

Kevin Conroy didn’t disclose his cancer until the very end. Rocksteady hired him years ago and then they made a video game using his voice lines. It’s likely that he had the right of refusal to do future Batman Arkham games. And since the script wasn’t terrible, he went to the studio for a few days and did it.
People have this weird version in their heads where sinister producers lured him into a Burbank recording studio, coercing him into doing combat-alts while drinking from a cup of gall.

As for the character death scenes, saying they’re disrespectful seems decontextualized. Each death follows a multi hour saga with that character menacing the squad and kicking their asses. (The game makes it clear the squad isn’t good enough to take on a single member of the league without an equalizer.) There are also cutscenes of each boss brutally killing the squad with customized quips and game over screens.

The game is called Kill the Justice League. You get to do that. They don’t do the Shadow of the Colossus thing where it’s a constant tragedy; you play semi-competent assholes with grudges. That’s the basis of the comedy.

For me, the Conroy thing was never some kind of lovely ploy to have a bad send off for Conroys Batman. It’s just something that, now in retrospect, is kinda sad and a little disheartening. I don’t blame Rocksteady, it’s just unkind circumstances.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, You are making a video game with Batman, how do you not offer Conroy the job?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Azubah posted:

Pissing on someone's corpse while everyone remarks the dong is huge.

I saw a video that plays the entire game up on YouTube and apparently, you can finish the story in 9 hours. But Boomer never actually gets to piss on anyone (this is such a weird statement to say...) He takes his dick out, Deadshot asks what he's doing, remarks that his dick Is huge, Harley salutes, and Shark says it makes sense as he's been hosed over by life in every other way. I think it's Flash he tries it on first. He doesn't get to so he tries it again on I believe Brainiac himself but gets interrupted there too.

I thought about buying this game since I have Best Buy gift cards from Christmas but honestly, it feels really boring with nothing but guns and their signature weapons just being there to back up the guns.

Also no one in the group can swim. Not even King Shark.

As for Batman's death, Lois Lane talks about that Batman is dead and gives a pretty touching speech about how he'll always be a hero to many people. Then the game ends with "Thank you Kevin"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Air Skwirl posted:

Yeah, You are making a video game with Batman, how do you not offer Conroy the job?

Again for continuity purposes this doesn't really apply to Suicide Squad but for any other situation my answer would have been "because he wasn't that great at it anymore."

Like by the time Arkham City rolled around it was very clear that he had locked into one exact Batman voice with no real emotion to it and that his Bruce Wayne voice was now just also the exact same as his Batman voice. Literally the only time he had any variation after that was his live action appearance in the Crisis on Infinite Earths CW crossover.

This isn't some kind of slam or me saying he was a hack, but it was very clear age was catching up with him. See also the last few times Hamil played the Joker and was audibly cracking trying to do it ,or how Arleen Sorkin's Harley had gotten so bad that they just recast her after Asylum.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

Again for continuity purposes this doesn't really apply to Suicide Squad but for any other situation my answer would have been "because he wasn't that great at it anymore."

Like by the time Arkham City rolled around it was very clear that he had locked into one exact Batman voice with no real emotion to it and that his Bruce Wayne voice was now just also the exact same as his Batman voice. Literally the only time he had any variation after that was his live action appearance in the Crisis on Infinite Earths CW crossover.

This isn't some kind of slam or me saying he was a hack, but it was very clear age was catching up with him. See also the last few times Hamil played the Joker and was audibly cracking trying to do it ,or how Arleen Sorkin's Harley had gotten so bad that they just recast her after Asylum.

I noticed Conroy did that with Batman as soon as The New Batman Adventures came out. His Batman and Bruce Wayne voices were distinctly different back in TAS but changed when the show did to be one voice for both with little emotion. Not saying he was bad, just something I noticed too.

I liked the new Batman voice but didn't think it fit for Bruce, unless he was going for a Bruce that didn't give a poo poo if people found out they were one and the same by voice alone.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

Also no one in the group can swim. Not even King Shark.

:discourse:

Beautiful

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Conroy said he was told to stop doing the higher Wayne voice because it 'would confuse the audience'.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Golden Bee posted:

The game is called Kill the Justice League. You get to do that. They don’t do the Shadow of the Colossus thing where it’s a constant tragedy; you play semi-competent assholes with grudges. That’s the basis of the comedy.

Maybe it's just me but I don't see the comedy in watching a bunch of assholes murder and humiliate my beloved childhood heroes. :v:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
https://twitter.com/tarastrong/status/1752716532856373267?s=20

I dunno guys you all are saying how awful it is, but then Tara Strong who has no skin in the game says it's GOTY I don't know who to believe

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Vandar posted:

Maybe it's just me but I don't see the comedy in watching a bunch of assholes murder and humiliate my beloved childhood heroes. :v:

Yeah, that's been kind of my issue with it. Like I don't want to kill the Justice League.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm at work with limited internet, but have there still been no reviews yet for SSKTJL?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Medullah posted:

I dunno guys you all are saying how awful it is, but then Tara Strong who has no skin in the game says it's GOTY I don't know who to believe

Glad Tara could take time out of her day from posting IDF propaganda about the ethnic cleansing in Gaza to watch her man play a mid videogame.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I saw footage where Harley jumped off a rooftop and landed in the ground and it had no impact and she just jumped up again. It looked so lifeless and weightless. Might as well have been Fortnite.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Air Skwirl posted:

Because Diedrich Bader is available cheaper?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I wonder if they ever did one with Mark Hamill’s Batman and Kevin is the Joker

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

I wonder if they ever did one with Mark Hamill’s Batman and Kevin is the Joker

Not exactly but in Brave and the Bold they had Hamill playing The Specter and Conroy as the Phantom Stranger.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh, turns out Conroy had more in the pipeline, and that's why Rocksteady and Warner Brothers games were so confident in disrespecting his legacy by killing Batman in Gotham Knights and Suicide Squad: Kill the.. Justice? League? Wha-?

https://twitter.com/SYACVG/status/1752793286517907844

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Oh, turns out Conroy had more in the pipeline, and that's why Rocksteady and Warner Brothers games were so confident in disrespecting his legacy by killing Batman in Gotham Knights and Suicide Squad: Kill the.. Justice? League? Wha-?

https://twitter.com/SYACVG/status/1752793286517907844

Kevin Conroy didn't play Batman in Gotham Knights?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

ImpAtom posted:

Neither did we :rimshot:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

The game ends with a salute to Kevin Conroy which is then immediately interrupted by a "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED?" banner and a splash screen of all the epic loot you get for beating the game.

Is this really what Rocksteady were working on for nine years? What a bummer. :sigh:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

I'm at work with limited internet, but have there still been no reviews yet for SSKTJL?

Lol no. Metacritic has 7 reviews. 3 of them are TBD because they aren't finished.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Honestly I'm sure the game is just fine, I'm just so tired of looter-shooters

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Withholding review code works somewhat for games because unlike a movie, where the reviews can basically go up the day of release even if they don't do preview screenings for the press, a lot of games you need several days or even a week or two because a review really can happen. (yes, yes, joke about games journalists being bad at games, but it takes time to finish a game, and even more if you're taking notes or exploring certain aspects to help you form your review)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Well just ignore that and focus on the 'Who wants to see beloved character; Batman die' part then.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

https://www.ign.com/articles/suicide-squad-kill-the-justice-league-review

quote:

While the comparison might seem like low-hanging fruit, Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League really is of a similar construction to Marvel’s Avengers – a game I spent dozens of hours enjoying despite its glaring deficiencies. They’re both live services aiming to offer extensive postgames – of course, in Avengers’ case, that promised service was cut short when Crystal Dynamics shut down development two years after launch. For Rocksteady, another famous single-player-turned-online developer, the first step toward trying to avoid a similar fate would be to create a compelling combat system that makes me want to return to Suicide Squad week after week, which it hasn’t quite achieved at this point. The studio known for revolutionising tight melee combat with its Arkham games has instead opted to make this a third-person shooter, which is a bold choice – but one that doesn't make complete sense considering the traditional methods of violence implemented by most of Task Force X, AKA the Suicide Squad.

When you go to modify some life into your firearms you’re limited to fairly standard buffs like critical damage boosts or cooldown decreases, none of which really lean into capturing any of that superhero/villain magic. Instead of more damage boosts or predictable poison debuffs, I kept hoping to see something crazy – like a gun that fires exploding, chattering Joker teeth or a Clayface cannon that covers the ground and enemies in clay, immobilising them in the process. But having finished the campaign (admittedly not turned over every rock in Metropolis just yet) there's just a disappointing lack of imagination on display here, even for those rarest, top-tier options. That’s particularly a shame because I can see the bones of a truly exciting loot and combat system here –, it’s just hidden in the blandness of its solid but unspectacular gunplay and weapons.

Read the ign work in progress. As much as the reviewer wants to love the game it is clear the game is a pile of poo poo.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 1, 2024

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It sounds like the boss fights are decent, pretty much everything else sounds mediocre at best.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

thebardyspoon posted:

It sounds like the boss fights are decent, pretty much everything else sounds mediocre at best.

And I hope you like the rooftops of Metropolis as your terrain.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Imagine a game where jumping from destiny public event to destiny public event was the main story gameloop

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
No interiors or very few at least is the craziest thing to me, I suppose if you build your combat around co-op, traversal with long dashes and double jumps and such then it makes designing decent interiors tougher, some of the most memorable bits in their older games were things like the factory early in City or the Penguins museum, felt like a real gauntlet y'know?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The Batman interiors were based on sneaking around and moving closely, neither of which are conductive to online FPS play.

There are some fun interior locations in the game though, although you mostly just walk through them.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
OK, you know what, that snippet of the IGN review pointed out how to make this a fun game. You still have "Gun" weapons as a main offense, but there are interesting side weapons. Limited ammo or recharge rates mean you're still relying on guns mostly, but there's flavor now.

You make a deal with Arkham and you get access to Freeze's Gun, which while an easy to integrate weapon with an obvious boost (Freezes/slows enemies) follows the apparent necessary path of "MUST BE GUN". If you want to have less Batman specific things, Captain Cold is good for not only having something that can and has been used to deal with The Flash, but being something a little different thematically.

If you insist on keeping the grimdark aspect, Nightwing, Oracle and Robin all died, but managed to retrieve some kind of other weapon from the Batcave trophy case. I don't hate the idea of a Joker gas gun, Still a gun, but you can give it a poison effect. Or way more Batman '66 with the idea of a mortar that shoots Chattering teeth. Have the chattering teeth act like caltrops, doing small damage and maybe, again, slowing enemies down. Penguin umbreall gun, which maybe has multiple firing modes, or has the spinning swirl hypnosis pattern, or the helicopter bit, so that's how you get air born.

Heatwave's heat gun - Fire damage over time and or AOE attack. Mirror Master - His gun* is a defensive teleport, you end up where you shoot. Kind of like Portal. Some kind of Poison Ivy grenade that tethers the enemy in place. There's any number of comic book people whose powers or gimmicks are sound based. Give the squad the ability to pick up Virtuoso's Violin and have them all play badly (except King Shark) and that's an AOE stun, but leaves you vulnerable.

Get goofy with it. Have a little more built in melee, and one goodie you can pick up is a modified short term Venom boost. Increases melee damage for a short time, but leaves you temporarily weaker and slightly slowed after using it.

There are ways to have a shooter and have guns and still do silly comic book poo poo with it.

*OK, so I guess MM's gun is just a run of the mill laser and his powers are not gun based.

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 1, 2024

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Gotham city impostors was funny and had guns.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Spies vs Mercs except it's Batmans vs Goons

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Waffleman_ posted:

Spies vs Mercs except it's Batmans vs Goons

Wasn't that Arkham Origin's multiplayer?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

catlord posted:

Wasn't that Arkham Origin's multiplayer?

It ruled, but you really just wanted to be Batman or Robin all the time.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Daper_Bear/status/1752903273005134195?s=20

"One of the good ones"

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
the ones that try to white knight it going "its not that bad..." are the worst and why this kind of stuff keeps happening.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Codependent Poster posted:

I saw footage where Harley jumped off a rooftop and landed in the ground and it had no impact and she just jumped up again. It looked so lifeless and weightless. Might as well have been Fortnite.

If it was Fortnite she would have taken fall damage and died.

Golden Bee posted:

Gotham city impostors was funny and had guns.

Gotham City Imposters was so fuckin' dumb. I loved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

This is the perspective of a paid assassin regarding someone who kicked his rear end, sent him to prison, then made a hologram for children about kicking his rear end. Floyd is projecting his frustration of America’s racism onto a black guy who is accepted uncritically (mostly for kicking his rear end). I think that’s good writing. It’s not a Top Dog/Under Dog or Fences, but people are treating it as if rocksteady wrote it from a neutral perspective.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 2, 2024