Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Don't come in here and be the guy who points out that it's fake. It's real in our hearts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
It might not be factually real but it is spiritually real.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

jorp just called me and told me the tweet's real.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

elmo just called me and said that he (elmo) is real, but the tweet is not

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

He has raged about Elmo (see below) but that particular tweet is fake.

https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/1752919463429644726

wrong, that tweet is very real, I saw it

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Scholtz posted:

Don't come in here and be the guy who points out that it's fake. It's real in our hearts.

I only said it so that someone would stop searching for fact when faith should have been enough.

Also because his tweet about Elmo was hilariously pathetic

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

I know projection is de riguer when it comes to these people, but the irony in Peterson calling Elmo a 'whiny puppet' is staggering. Elmo specifically DOESN'T whine! He's very optimistic!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Samovar posted:

I know projection is de riguer when it comes to these people, but the irony in Peterson calling Elmo a 'whiny puppet' is staggering. Elmo specifically DOESN'T whine! He's very optimistic!

Yeah, Grover's the whiny one. Oscar too. It's literally in his name, he's the guy who complains about everything!

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

The Elmocratic Party

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The Elmonarchy.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

It is every bit as true as that guy who tazed his own balls and died.

That is to say, unassailable fact.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Scholtz posted:

Jordan Peterson is the kind of person where you can tell people he's in a bitter rivalry with a puppet on a children's TV show and both his fans and his detractors will immediately believe it.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

The Bible posted:

While very funny, it is also somewhat troubling that something is clearly very wrong with Jorp and no one is even trying to help him.

They just keep letting him basically pants himself over and over again in public while everyone laughs.

Dude is screaming at puppets on the Internet. He is not well.

I'd give more of a poo poo if he dropped his hateful rhetoric and trans-bashing allies then showed genuine understanding of, and remorse for, what he's done and what it did to other people. Until then; gently caress him I hope it hurts. If he wants the same compassion he denied others then it's on him to start working towards it. He's proven who he is plenty enough through his own actions. I think there are very few people who are beyond salvaging and redemption but if they want that for free go pray to whatever higher being they think gives it to them for free. Want it from other people? Stop being a dickhead.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
'e's bloody 'orrible 'e is

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
The frontal lobe doesn’t finish maturing until about twenty five. In a perfect world, responsible and compassionate parents would guide a child through their gender discovery carefully and with the maximum amount of information regarding their options.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

tango alpha delta posted:

The frontal lobe doesn’t finish maturing until about twenty five. In a perfect world, responsible and compassionate parents would guide a child through their gender discovery carefully and with the maximum amount of information regarding their options.

instead of like... trying your hardest to see where your kid is coming from based off a deep seated respect for their personal autonomy, supporting their choices even if they are different than the ones we would make personally, all that woke garbage we need to get away from, have you considered maybe we should bully them relentlessly to conform, and give them totally unrestricted access to cell phones and internet? just a thought :smug:

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

wizard2 posted:

instead of like... trying your hardest to see where your kid is coming from based off a deep seated respect for their personal autonomy, supporting their choices even if they are different than the ones we would make personally, all that woke garbage we need to get away from, have you considered maybe we should bully them relentlessly to conform, and give them totally unrestricted access to cell phones and internet? just a thought :smug:

It would be unwise to give minors complete personal autonomy because the impulse control part of the brain isn’t fully formed yet. A trustworthy mature person would be an advocate and advisor.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
is there jorp here

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

It would be unwise to give minors complete personal autonomy because the impulse control part of the brain isn’t fully formed yet. A trustworthy mature person would be an advocate and advisor.

I'm almost forty and I'm not sure the impulse control part of my brain ever fully formed.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Sexual orientation is located in the hypothalamus not the frontal lobe. Your concerns are baseless.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

This kind of statement is mostly used as a smokescreen for the absolute pile of maniacal bullshit currently being passed into law in red states that essentially makes transition healthcare illegal for minors and criminalizes the service providers while also enabling and empowering bigots with the full backing of the law when they decide to do the exact things that make trans kids commit suicide in record numbers so, like, gently caress you a little bit? But also- why is this one issue so all-fired important that we gatekeep it to the tune of 400+ bills last year and not drinking, or voting, or military service, or cis gender-affirming breast augmentations for kids, or abortion healthcare, or or or.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

The brain is pretty much always changing, I think that "the brain stops maturing at X" is kinda BS. Like you get real rear end structural changes pretty much your whole life, because it's an organ that ages. Not to mention how all your experiences etc affect your mental state.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The problem with a science-based argument for human rights is that science is a social institution, not some objective teleological process of humankind achieving self-realization, or whatever liberals imagine Science! is when they put We Believe in Science yard signs. Regimes interpret scientific findings however they want and for their own purposes.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Eeyo posted:

The brain is pretty much always changing, I think that "the brain stops maturing at X" is kinda BS. Like you get real rear end structural changes pretty much your whole life, because it's an organ that ages. Not to mention how all your experiences etc affect your mental state.

That’s not what I wrote at all. The part of your brain and my brain and everyone’s brain that manages impulse control does not fully develop until about twenty five. This is why life changing decisions, including gender reassignment,should be carefully managed while a minor is still growing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

That’s not what I wrote at all. The part of your brain and my brain and everyone’s brain that manages impulse control does not fully develop until about twenty five. This is why life changing decisions, including gender reassignment,should be carefully managed while a minor is still growing.

Carefully managed by, like, a team of doctors, a psychologist, the parents, and the child? You mean like that?

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Sarsapariller posted:

This kind of statement is mostly used as a smokescreen for the absolute pile of maniacal bullshit currently being passed into law in red states that essentially makes transition healthcare illegal for minors and criminalizes the service providers while also enabling and empowering bigots with the full backing of the law when they decide to do the exact things that make trans kids commit suicide in record numbers so, like, gently caress you a little bit? But also- why is this one issue so all-fired important that we gatekeep it to the tune of 400+ bills last year and not drinking, or voting, or military service, or cis gender-affirming breast augmentations for kids, or abortion healthcare, or or or.

I get that there’s fear from Conservatives that LGBTQ people might treat the conservatives as badly as they’ve been treated and indeed there are some militant voices out there, but the root problem seems to be fear of things and people we don’t understand.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

bird food bathtub posted:

Carefully managed by, like, a team of doctors, a psychologist, the parents, and the child? You mean like that?

It depends on the child. At the very least, a child should be able to talk to someone they feel safe with.

E: I understand what it feels like to be on the outside. I’m a Polish Jew, which should tell you everything you need to know. I will always argue for the outsider. Always.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 6, 2024

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

It depends on the child. At the very least, a child should be able to talk to someone they feel safe with.

E: I understand what it feels like to be on the outside. I’m a Polish Jew, which should tell you everything you need to know. I will always argue for the outsider. Always.

Then stop parroting transphobic arguments
Medical decisions for trans children are already carefully managed, the idea that its slipshod is complete bullshit by transphobes who are intent on putting as many obstacles in their path as possible

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

lmao

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Dude, stop being wishy-washy about this. There is already extensive language about gender-affirming care for minors in WPATH SOC 8. You could just look over that and say "okay, I broadly agree with this".

But the whole business of "we can't let people make gender decisions before 25 because :biotruths:" is just a conservative stalking horse. Julia Serano has pretty good evidence as to who exactly did it. Please stop pushing it here.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
The primary issue with trans care is that ita far too difficult to get access to it, not that we need to lock it off more

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Piell posted:

Then stop parroting transphobic arguments

There are too many loud voices that just seem to be spreading fear, which makes having any kind of cogent argument difficult.

My concern is simply that children do not have the impulse control to make life changing decisions. That has clearly been twisted to support someone’s agenda and, to be crystal clear, that part is horrific.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

There are too many loud voices that just seem to be spreading fear, which makes having any kind of cogent argument difficult.

My concern is simply that children do not have the impulse control to make life changing decisions. That has clearly been twisted to support someone’s agenda and, to be crystal clear, that part is horrific.

Your concern on this subject is transphobic lies and you should stop pushing it. Weirdly I don't think you'd be saying kids don't have the impulse control to get dentistry care or anorexia care or cancer care. Its just on this one subject that you have big concerns

Piell fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 6, 2024

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Cool, so then when a team of doctors, a psychologist, and the parents all get involved then your objection isn't related to reality anymore because it's not a kid willy-nilly making a decision one evening. It's a team of doctors, a psychologist, and the parents spending years to make sure things are handled appropriately.

Now that you have been introduced to this information maybe reconsider spouting off the same kind of "just asking questions" stuff every bad-faith transphobic poo poo head in the world uses as camouflage for their desire to gently caress over other people and make them suffer even more.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Read WPATH SOC 8, chapters 6 and 7 in particular. I'll even link you a summary if that's too long for you. Please wait until you've read over those to get back to us.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

followed immediately by:

My concern is simply that children do not have the impulse control to make life changing decisions.

Are you for real?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

"Impulse control" develops as early as 36-48 months in children hth

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Also: calling it an impulse control issue is in itself transphobic bullshit based on made up poo poo like Rapid Onset Gender Dysphoria and bullshit claims that kids are being socially pressured to become trans.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bluh Bluh cogent argument bluh fart

You have accepted incorrect parameters for the discussion in your internal framework of the situation. You are assuming that trans kids are being left alone in making life changing decisions, but you have zero evidence to support that. Kids are not being asked “hey, do you feel like a boy or a girl?” And then immediately out comes the dick chopper. They have to go through phases of medication and dressing as the gender they feel they are supposed to be, to see if it is actually what they want. No kid is gonna be asked in a flight of fancy if they wanna be a girl today and then immediately jam hormones into their body depending on the answer

They have to deal with their parents, they have to deal with psychiatrist/psychologists, primary care doctors… it isn’t as untethered and guidance free as you seem to think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

There are clearly a lot of very strong emotions attached to this subject and I hope everyone finds happiness in their identity.