Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

BobHoward posted:

are you really all that shocked it's a pos? because i just had a look at their website and the red flags, they are everywhere

their explanation for "Why Clockwork?" is two screenfuls of wank best summarized as "sounded cool lol", so, yeah, checks out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i don't think anyone is shocked as much as just disappointed. it's not like "portable raspberry pi" was a new thing at the time.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I have one and there are a number of cool things about it

sadly none of those are "it's cool or fun to use"

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
if the firmware/software was a little better it would be pretty neat, it's just... not. i haven't tried armbian to see if those builds are any better or patch in any of the fixes.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
i have a deepseated weakness for little portable handheld linux computer things and the only one i think i've been 100% satisfied with is the PocketCHIP

it helps that it only cost like $65 and i went in with very low expectations

here's a very early decker prototype running on one:

Internet Janitor fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 8, 2024

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
is that a native decker port?

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

decker has always existed as both a native application (written in c) and a webapp (written in js)

they are two entirely separate implementations developed in lockstep with a common test suite

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
oh, i was only aware of it as the webapp. cool.

e: in my defense, i didn't look through your github, just the implementation on beyondloom

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

the web version is extremely important for sharing projects with other people, because they don't have to screw around with installing anything

the native version is much better for creating and editing decks, though; browser constraints hobble a lot of things like keyboard shortcuts, clipboard interactions, and saving files in-place

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
took the devterm apart and put it back together again. still no sound, though i'm pretty drat sure the speakers are making contact with the board properly.

next step is writing a fresh image to a microsd card :sigh:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Internet Janitor posted:

decker has always existed as both a native application (written in c) and a webapp (written in js)

they are two entirely separate implementations developed in lockstep with a common test suite

I have no idea about this at all, but when you do this do you have to do it completely manually?

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

it isn't that difficult, because both codebases are similar

i usually write the c version first, because it's a less expressive language, write tests, make sure everything's working, then look at the diffs in my working copy and start translating it over to js, simplifying and making appropriate changes to suit the needs and capabilities of browser junk. then i make sure my test suite passes and fiddle with the web build a bit interactively, depending on the feature

the porting takes a fraction of the time to write the first version. i often find that rewriting everything reveals ways to simplify the first implementation; occasionally i notice and correct bugs or mistakes in the process

the most important part is to just stay organized and do one feature at a time

it's true that i could use something like wasm to compile a big chunk of the c codebase into something that runs in a browser, but i don't think it would be a good idea. wasm is constantly evolving, tooling churns all the time, there are tons of annoying external dependencies to worry about, and on older browsers it straight up doesn't work. an opaque wasm blob would be a giant middle finger to anyone who wants to tinker with or try to understand a decker web build and a recipe for bitrot

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
there are a buncha drat good reasons why few peeps use wasm in prod in depressingly-serious webapps

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

bob dobbs is dead posted:

there are a buncha drat good reasons why few peeps use wasm in prod in depressingly-serious webapps

so hot right now!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Internet Janitor posted:

it isn't that difficult, because both codebases are similar

i usually write the c version first, because it's a less expressive language, write tests, make sure everything's working, then look at the diffs in my working copy and start translating it over to js, simplifying and making appropriate changes to suit the needs and capabilities of browser junk. then i make sure my test suite passes and fiddle with the web build a bit interactively, depending on the feature

the porting takes a fraction of the time to write the first version. i often find that rewriting everything reveals ways to simplify the first implementation; occasionally i notice and correct bugs or mistakes in the process

thankyou, that’s interesting

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
i'm surprised wasm is so immature. it's been around for a while, no?

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

redleader posted:

i'm surprised wasm is so immature. it's been around for a while, no?
there are a *lot* of wheels to reinvent, and if you don't look at previous art there's a lot of failures to get through first

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
everybody keeps changing base languages. jan 2020 they told us the future was everybody writing rust. then they went to uh typescript for a bit, and now there's just a JS lib you load up, at least on our compute platform

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

Jonny 290 posted:

everybody keeps changing base languages. jan 2020 they told us the future was everybody writing rust. then they went to uh typescript for a bit, and now there's just a JS lib you load up, at least on our compute platform

please bro just one more js lib I swear it'll fix everything just one man only on our compute platform come on bro

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Visions of Valerie posted:

please bro just one more js lib I swear it'll fix everything just one man only on our compute platform come on bro

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

since the native version of decker embeds a copy of the web version of decker (for exports), any compile-time dependencies of the web version become dependencies of the native version. currently that list of dependencies is absolutely nothing, because i'm just concatenating together a few js and html files. native decker is extremely vanilla c99 that will compile under a wide range of ancient gcc and clang versions as well as bleeding-edge gcc, clang, and (ugh) msvc. the only non-os-provided libraries i depend on are sdl2 and sdl2_image (the latter of which is actually optional). decker uses "withered technology"

if i wanted to deal with wasm in any capacity, suddenly i'd have hard dependencies on the emscripten sdk, which in turn pulls in depdendencies on llvm, fuckin python 3 for some idiot reason, and a ton of other heavyweight poo poo that is in some way or another constantly changing and breaking

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sounds like sensible decisions

like the kinds of decisions decent companies should be doing

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
somebody else's genius spare time project

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjhzVVNOYek

Hell yeah

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I decided the first Selectric wasn't challenge enough so I picked up a second, a correcting II for $40 marked "not working, seized" and holy poo poo were they not lying. Literally every bit of early '80s grease has congealed into cement. I am 100% waiting until summer to work on this because it's going to literally need bathing in thinners and there is zero chance I am doing that indoors.

But I DO want a working SII just so I can use some cheaper font ballllls

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

somebody else's genius spare time project

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjhzVVNOYek

Hell yeah

chriiiiiiist that's making me miss the '91 beretta I drove in high school

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

adorable lol

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That’s so good

futurebot 2000
Jan 29, 2010

i made a pooping mandelbutt :yosbutt:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
looks more like the poolia set

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
Important discovery: the rotated mandelbrot set is a lobster

Only registered members can see post attachments!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that bifucartion diagram turning onto the beetle fucks you up

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
gettin momentum up on my game project again, but I'm stuck deciding if I want to work on the 3d branch or on the sort of parallel terminal version I'm working on

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I started it to learn data structures and stuff but I want to keep going with it as a separate thing. calling it "Extraordinary Orbitals" for now

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
space ship economic s
what do you mean by data structures? maybe I should learn too

if you have a goal of learning a language they say make something in it to learn it and spose that works but what really rulz is already having a game or whatever in mind and then trying to make it work

if I was trying to learn js and chose to make an idle game I’d be uh yeah maybe learn it, but because I had a clear idea of crime committer in my mind, and the only way to get there was to learn js, it really drove it hard

I support your trifecta of space projects

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

ok I sat down with Godot again and!

we can save and load now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

data structures are things like arrays, linked lists, trees, stacks etc, just different ways of... structuring data. I'm storing the space station as a tree for now.