Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

install linux on a vm, pass the wireless device through to the linux vm. bam, bsd with a real networking stack *ducks*

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

nudgenudgetilt posted:

install linux on a vm, pass the wireless device through to the linux vm. bam, bsd with a real networking stack *ducks*

https://www.freshports.org/net/wifibox/

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
I think I found out what was causing my wifi problems. It was my mouse; specially the "mouse" usb port. I plugged it into a different usb port and suddenly my wifi is stable.

googling usb ports and wifi interference shows a bunch of results. So I guess this is a thing? Anyways, all good now.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

lmao, computers are great

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

nudgenudgetilt posted:

if you have a laptop, this is the right way to do a Linux or a BSD

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

arguably osx is the right was to bsd

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

nudgenudgetilt posted:

arguably osx is the right was to bsd
darwin only contains the netstack, vfs, process model and some command-line utilities from a mix of freebsd and netbsd - the opensource bits are a tiny part of what makes up macos

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

os x is compliant unix though, and it makes a nice os as a host for bsd, i've done that a number of times. bsd as the main os on hardware is fine as well. maybe somewhat clunky to install

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Broken Machine posted:

os x is compliant unix though, and it makes a nice os as a host for bsd, i've done that a number of times. bsd as the main os on hardware is fine as well. maybe somewhat clunky to install
it's compliant unix because of those bits, though

also, it's not as nice as it used to be

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
imma instal bsd in a vm for no good reason except to feel like I am part of something special

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
how come they aren't torrents. who doesn't distribute via torrents.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

echinopsis posted:

…people who can afford servers?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it crashed my pc trying to run virtual and so I gave up

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

echinopsis posted:

torrents

they're unofficial, but the official docs still recommend verifying sha512 hashes found in the RELEASE announcement emails, for images downloaded over https from official mirrors - so obviously the same applies here

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

echinopsis posted:

congrats echi

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
another bsd success story!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

echinopsis posted:

skill issue

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
assuredly

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
netbsd is cool

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
bsd… more like BaSeD amiright???

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

skill issue

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

echinopsis posted:

least bad bsd experience

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is there way to run virtuals without proprietary software? i’m much less keen on downloading random poo poo off tracker.ru than I used to be

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
has anyone said bsdeez nuts yet?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

echinopsis posted:

is there way to run virtuals without proprietary software? i’m much less keen on downloading random poo poo off tracker.ru than I used to be

which hypervisor did you try that crashed? what's your host os?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SamDabbers posted:

which hypervisor did you try that crashed? what's your host os?

vmware (I wanna say 16??? ) on windows 10

initially it would work coz didn’t have virtualisation turn on in bios then I did and it would then blue screen within seconds

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

maybe hyper-v is enabled? freebsd supports running as a hyper-v guest

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

echinopsis posted:

vmware (I wanna say 16??? ) on windows 10

initially it would work coz didn’t have virtualisation turn on in bios then I did and it would then blue screen within seconds
hyper-v is in windows 10 pro, and on my windows machine, i got a vm set up for freebsd in about 2 minutes, using the vm images

it does use mcc, so it won't work on windows 10 home - but nobody in their right mind should use windows 10 home

SamDabbers posted:

maybe hyper-v is enabled? freebsd supports running as a hyper-v guest
i believe windows implements virtualization multiplexing to allow hyper-v and other type-2 hypervisors to co-exist, but it may be that that specific vmware software doesn't implement it properly, leading to the crash?
without a bug check, and possibly a dump to put in windbg with symbols, it's hard to say what happened

you're right though, freebsd runs well in hyper-v - there's a few use-case specific nits, but it's actively maintained by microsoft.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Dec 3, 2023

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

maybe you should install linux first

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Tankakern posted:

maybe you should install linux first
i tried installing wsl2-ubuntu (which is an official canonical thing) via chocolatey and it threw a checksum error

i'm just gonna stick with freebsd as my daily driver on my laptop
my windows machine is only for gaming and is effectively an appliance os because everything is installed and managed programmatically so that i can wipe it if i need to

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

i believe windows implements virtualization multiplexing to allow hyper-v and other type-2 hypervisors to co-exist, but it may be that that specific vmware software doesn't implement it properly, leading to the crash?

it's reeeeeeeeeally bad. I'll rep a lot of windows stuff but hyper-v and its API are garbage. the I/O latency and throughput on the Windows Hypervisor API or whatever they call it is trash. last time I tested one of my bare metal projects in it, it had about 10 times the VMEXITs for ethernet work using the API with virtualbox as the wrapper versus letting vbox or vmware do the hypervisor stuff themselves

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

it's reeeeeeeeeally bad. I'll rep a lot of windows stuff but hyper-v and its API are garbage. the I/O latency and throughput on the Windows Hypervisor API or whatever they call it is trash. last time I tested one of my bare metal projects in it, it had about 10 times the VMEXITs for ethernet work using the API with virtualbox as the wrapper versus letting vbox or vmware do the hypervisor stuff themselves
i wonder if it's different on microsofts butt, because otherwise it seems like it can't be competitive

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

i tried installing wsl2-ubuntu (which is an official canonical thing) via chocolatey and it threw a checksum error

i'm just gonna stick with freebsd as my daily driver on my laptop
my windows machine is only for gaming and is effectively an appliance os because everything is installed and managed programmatically so that i can wipe it if i need to

ay you willing to share your windows-O-matic tooling? that sounds real useful to standardize the herd of laptops i gotta regularly deal with for the fam here at home.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

fresh_cheese posted:

ay you willing to share your windows-O-matic tooling? that sounds real useful to standardize the herd of laptops i gotta regularly deal with for the fam here at home.
i went with powershell dsc and chocolatey, although the former can be an absolute bitch sometimes
the verb-noun syntax is loving impossible to remember if you're used to a unix-like commandline where there's some sense between bin, sbin and the user variants which makes it easier to remember - whereas with the microsoft solution, it's all just one name-space of confusion

mostly it was just because i can't be arsed to stand up a active domain, but if you got enough systems for it to be a heard, that sounds like the right solution
unfortunately samba ad is a loving pain, and the advice of "get a windows box in a vm" isn't always an option because of silly licensing nonsense

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 3, 2023

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Bumping the BSD thread. It fell to the 6th page (!).

Big shout out to all BSD users

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I use NetBSD on a regular basis!

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I run bsd on my ps4 :smugmrgw:

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Silver Alicorn posted: