Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

speaking of which...

where is a good place to look for jobs now? last 5+ years of jobs for me were all following friends or proactive recruiters.

it feels like LinkedIn and indeed have lots of jobs but also literally hundreds or thousands of applicants for every one.

I got laid off a couple weeks ago, I haven't hit up my network yet, because I need a break to detox my brain after a year and a half of just ultra toxic startup burnout. casually looking around in the meantime.

see also:

raminasi posted:

i wish, when i was considering joining a startup, i'd asked myself how much time i was willing to spend managing the egos of a pair of twenty-somethings who have lots of authority but absolutely zero leadership experience.

Mao Zedong Thot fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they let actual adults have vc funding sometimes too, should go and find them

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

bob dobbs is dead posted:

they let actual adults have vc funding sometimes too, should go and find them

they're still sociopaths

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, but they're 40-hours-per-week sociopaths

can't expect non-sociopaths in modern business, startup or no

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 10, 2024

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

can't expect non-sociopaths in modern business, startup or no

well, you can, but they probably won't last long

:smith:

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
im not sure if i am just "lucky" but the last two jobs i have had at startups were in greentech and they were 10x more sociopath than normal

its kinda easy to imagine them gravitating to an ethical-sounding company for the moral high ground but also maybe i just have insanely bad luck

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Corla Plankun posted:

im not sure if i am just "lucky" but the last two jobs i have had at startups were in greentech and they were 10x more sociopath than normal

its kinda easy to imagine them gravitating to an ethical-sounding company for the moral high ground but also maybe i just have insanely bad luck

its the ethical-sounding nature of it. charities are 100x sociopaths, ethical-sounding companies are 10x sociopaths. see a charity, expect some sociopaths

lots of that poo poo is just modern-day indulgences. you wouldn't expect actual ethical behavior from johann tetzel, right? or more recently, sam bankman-fried

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 11, 2024

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I can imagine that space being filled with self-proclaimed messiahs for sure

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Getting paid US $200k today is the equivalent of getting $160k back when this thread started in 2018.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Corla Plankun posted:

being forgotten by, and not having to worry about, my coworkers anymore is the main advantage of leaving a job; and now I have to actively maintain a rolodex of trustworthy bosses because it is not enough to please hiring managers now, I must also have--verifiably!--behaved in a way that they liked before I ever met them

how are you developing a professional network if you're actively attempting to lose contact with all your former coworkers?

ours aren't sociopaths, they're just bad line engineers, but the company is still small enough that we haven't had the conversation about taking their repo keys away yet so there's a lot of personality management.

and it's not less personality management than any other executive needs - it just hits a little different when the executive is noticeably younger than me.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Corla Plankun posted:

being forgotten by, and not having to worry about, my coworkers anymore is the main advantage of leaving a job; and now I have to actively maintain a rolodex of trustworthy bosses because it is not enough to please hiring managers now, I must also have--verifiably!--behaved in a way that they liked before I ever met them

none of this is new. references have been a thing forever. poo poo, it used to be expected that you provide references on your resume.

the only thing that has 'changed' here is that you got away with not having references when you were inexperienced. now that you've been around the block, references should be available.

if you're burning all your references, that's on you

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Hed posted:

Getting paid US $200k today is the equivalent of getting $160k back when this thread started in 2018.

is taht good

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

outhole surfer posted:

none of this is new. references have been a thing forever. poo poo, it used to be expected that you provide references on your resume.

the only thing that has 'changed' here is that you got away with not having references when you were inexperienced. now that you've been around the block, references should be available.

if you're burning all your references, that's on you

its prolly indeed their fault but more on the "working with companies that advertise themselves as particularly ethical" mistake than the "burning references" mistake. I burned all my contacts with those sorta places too, too many little shits

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

back before i had established a decent set of references, i tried to have a classmate fill in as one

instead of saying good things about group projects and such, they basically said "yeah, i sorta know him". hiring manager loved my other reference, gave me the job, and told me to never use that reference again

somehow 20 years later, bad reference dude is still one of my best friends

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

I don't think a lot of people realized you need to make 25% more just to break even in 6 years. I certainly didn't.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

when you put it that way.... :manning:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
remember, when they give you a sub-inflation raise, it's a pay cut

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Corla Plankun posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yexzWQD1vv8&t=86s

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

raminasi posted:

i wish, when i was considering joining a startup, i'd asked myself how much time i was willing to spend managing the egos of a pair of twenty-somethings who have lots of authority but absolutely zero leadership experience.

i just finished getting rejected by a startup last week and i probably should have seen this coming

they're series C company so theoretically they should have some adult supervision at this point. but everyone in the process was a bunch of 25 year old dudes, one of whom used the phrase "lifelong autodidact" on his linkedin so i should have had the sense here that this was going to be a stinker

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

kitten smoothie posted:

used the phrase "lifelong autodidact" on his linkedin

euggh

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

ignorant and fuckin proud of it

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

kitten smoothie posted:

they're series C company so theoretically they should have some adult supervision at this point. but everyone in the process was a bunch of 25 year old dudes, one of whom used the phrase "lifelong autodidact" on his linkedin so i should have had the sense here that this was going to be a stinker

Once, I submitted an application to a company that had a bit of a former startup vibe. For reference, I was just coming off a Master's in Compsci, with some minor work experience.

Their first email back, apart from the automated stuff, was them saying, "We're sorry, but we don't think you have experience for the Intermediate Developer position, but we'd interview you for a Junior Developer position." You know, the one you give someone fresh out of their first degree.
I was not too happy about this, but I did need a job, so I resolved to go see what all the fuss was about.

I ended up sitting down with a few important people, including the company founder, who was a young guy. He said to me, "I don't think your Master's degree's worth anything, because I'm not educated myself."

Apart from that, the interview went vaguely OK. On the way out of the building, I noticed a photo hung up in pride of place in the lobby: it was a Christmas photo of the office team... dressed up as a happy family, with one person in costume as the family dog.

Thankfully, I did not get the job.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Quackles posted:

Apart from that, the interview went vaguely OK. On the way out of the building, I noticed a photo hung up in pride of place in the lobby: it was a Christmas photo of the office team... dressed up as a happy family, with one person in costume as the family dog.

that last guy is the one who pushed hard for the photo

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

the cs bachelors at my university was unaccredited, and you entered a 5 year program ending with a meng.

you could guarantee only a handful out of any graduating class had real world experience beyond their three coop semesters

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
to my understanding most cs degrees are unaccredited. maybe universities housing computer science in their school of engineering sometimes meet whatever random abet standards, but a huge proportion of "good" schools for cs just do whatever they want. at my university at least, the cs department is tacked into the same school as math, biology, physics, and chemistry; they're not about to jump through engineering curriculum rigor hoops

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

ABET accreditation mostly involves required courses in physics, chemistry, multivariable calculus and differential equations. Not really all that useful for most of us.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

ultrafilter posted:

ABET accreditation mostly involves required courses in physics, chemistry, multivariable calculus and differential equations. Not really all that useful for most of us.

My university offered two tracks for CS. One was ABET accredited and needed all that, plus a specific set of mandatory CS courses. The other non-ABET track required no physics, chemistry, or diff eq, and you got an easier statistics class too. The "mandatory" CS courses on the accredited track were ones it would behoove you to take, regardless of your choice. My advisor told me point blank the non-ABET track was fine but he wasn't gonna let me off the hook on compilers class.

It's been 20+ years and I can safely say I have absolutely, positively, zero regrets over opting for the non-ABET so I could take classes like photography and fiction writing instead of physics and chemistry

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

i think they killed the cs pe or a similar program cause nobody was doing it and nobody was hiring for it

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i recall having like, a roaring argument buncha years back with like, nbsd or someone about how the cs pe is fuckin worthless

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

cs pee lol

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
top 50

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the place i went to was going for accreditation. your first year you had to do a whole bunch of general chem, physics, materials, etc. (that literally everyone in any engineering degree had to do), but that was kind of it

the only non-compsci papers you had to do past that first year was stuff like "engineering management" and "engineering statistics", which I have legitimately found professionally useful.

i haven't followed up on whether it actually ended up being an accredited program because literally nobody in my entire career has given a poo poo

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???

lord fifth posted:

had an actually terrible interview experience with a team at the fruit company. they made me write a linked list deletion routine and i spent like 10 minutes convincing them that what i wrote was correct. i didnt even do anything weird, i genuinely had to walk them through how deletion works when THEY asked me the question

i spent time afterwards reviewing what i wrote to make sure i wasnt being gaslit. im genuinely baffled by this experience. this is a blessing though because id be banished to california again if i got the job

i got "very positive feedback" on this interview and the crooter wants to call me. proving yet again that i have no idea how jobs and interviews work

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

lord fifth posted:

i got "very positive feedback" on this interview and the crooter wants to call me. proving yet again that i have no idea how jobs and interviews work

you wanna think "nerd hazing". you feel good about it afterwards, that just mean they gave up 2 minutes in and started nodding and thinking about lunch. you get burnt to a crisp and think you're human scum afterwards, that meant you were a serious candidate

i dont like it but thats often how it is

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
if i have to go back to california i swear to god

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

lord fifth posted:

if i have to go back to california i swear to god

rotor
Jun 11, 2001