Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Subjunctive posted:

Someone said that it was a chud game and I don’t doubt it, but I read over the store page and really I would have no idea from that description. Is there some dog-whistling phrase there that I’m not picking up?

I mean, I'm sure there's plenty of other equally subtle things, but just from the trailer:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
There's also some "I dunno about this" vibes when you're going into a made up cyberpunk future but you specifically call out that your "European" hero is fighting "technocrats who control the world", if you want signs outside of the trailer.

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 4, 2024

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yeah, the trailer is A Lot

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

e:

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 4, 2024

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Ein Prozent is (obviously) a right wing organization in Germany I am having trouble finding references to in english press but seems to be based around that fun newish brand of xenophobia right wing economists love where its like, ohhhh no global warming is going to bring in climate refuges, overpopulation is a real thing that we should be worried about scaryyyyy (we love eugenics.)

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 4, 2024

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Is this the Shithead releases thread?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Upsidads posted:

Is this the Shithead releases thread?

Not specifically, but feel free to post about your work.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Talkin bout this

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Its the devs of the game people were talking about on the last page? I mean you could make the argument that the game shouldn't have been posted here in the first place because fair and I would agree, but its not like this was a non sequitur.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

We have a thread for terrible games. Please post the chud games over there if you must and keep this thread for games we might want to play.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Fresh only means edible and healthy

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Globohomo wow

doesn't even rhyme

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1131620/Dominion/

quote:

Expand a small kingdom to a mighty Dominion! Play the Spiel des Jahres winning boardgame beloved by millions around the world. Discover the game that defined a genre, Dominion was first to popularize deck-building and remains a staple of tabletop. This is the officially licensed implementation.

86% out of 1,177 reviews.

Apparently a version of the board game Dominion (the deckbuilder, not to be confused with Dominions, the strategy/wargame) just got released on Steam? General consensus is it's okay, if maybe a little bit too compact of a UI. The two big problems seem to be the with multiplayer servers occasionally dropping and the price of the expansion packs, with people arguing in the comment section as to whether they're highway robbery or justified by being cheaper than the physical version. But the base game is free, so it's worth checking out if you're into this sort of thing.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Jossar posted:

Apparently a version of the board game Dominion (the deckbuilder, not to be confused with Dominions, the strategy/wargame) just got released on Steam? General consensus is it's okay, if maybe a little bit too compact of a UI. The two big problems seem to be the with multiplayer servers occasionally dropping and the price of the expansion packs, with people arguing in the comment section as to whether they're highway robbery or justified by being cheaper than the physical version. But the base game is free, so it's worth checking out if you're into this sort of thing.

This was in EA for ages! The physical deckbuilder is a great game, not sure about the expansion pricing here though. I suppose if you're big into Dominion it's worth it.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Jossar posted:

So dominion is my favorite tabletop game and I've played a bunch of different digital versions over the years. The big selling points of this one were supposed to be actually good computer opponents and an actually good mobile version.

So this is clearly a mobile port to steam which isn't the worst thing in the world, but not being able to have the turn log on all the time makes it a serious pain to play (even to just keep track of what everyone is buying). The interface on dominion.games, the in-browser version, is *much* better (Though they've also made some pretty big sacrifices to the mobile gods).

That said, the computer opponents *are* actually and you can actually improve at the game by playing against it. The price is, indeed, steep, but it's clearly aimed at sickos like me. At least if you buy these, it can't disappear overnight, probably.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Jossar posted:

I bought it and all the expansions during early access and I think it rules. If you own the expansions, your can host games for your friends with them even if they only have the free version.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

50CK3T

quote:

A story-based indie platform puzzler set in a post-apocalyptic city. Socket and Birdie jump, swing, and build their way through increasingly difficult puzzles as they're shared battery continually drains.
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256993951/movie480_vp9.webm
No reviews yet. This one might be interesting but the core mechanic might also be incredibly obnoxious so I'm holding out for someone else to play it first.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

Mr. Trampoline posted:

I bought it and all the expansions during early access and I think it rules. If you own the expansions, your can host games for your friends with them even if they only have the free version.

I haven't bought any DLC yet, but I do play the daily random sets which you can do once per day against the AI. And I had the card, uh, Sentry:

and on the second play it just bugged out and on subsequent plays I couldn't move the cards to the trash or discard areas anymore. Which wasn't a good look for a future purchase decision. I was going to wait until it goes on sale and then buy 3-4 expansions that I like, but now I'm not even sure about that anymore.

Oenis fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 5, 2024

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

I've played a reasonable amount of this version of dominion and not yet found any bugs that stopped me playing like that but have had a few where it just wasn't apparent to me what you needed to click to progress the turn. And a few disconnects but have always been able to get back in. Its a great game, but the interface is not nearly as polished as some other card games like hearthstone or slay the spire .

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Oenis posted:

I haven't bought any DLC yet, but I do play the daily random sets which you can do once per day against the AI. And I had the card, uh, Sentry:

and on the second play it just bugged out and on subsequent plays I couldn't move the cards to the trash or discard areas anymore. Which wasn't a good look for a future purchase decision. I was going to wait until it goes on sale and then buy 3-4 expansions that I like, but now I'm not even sure about that anymore.

Same, not a good first impression. Dominion is a very good game, though, so hopefully they fix it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Dungeonoid 2 Awakening

quote:

Classic dungeon crawling gets a block-busting twist in Dungeonoid 2 Awakening, a top-down adventure presented in retro pixel art style!
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256985368/movie480_vp9.webm
One positive review. 20% launch discount.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Looks like a better version of WizOrb. I'll give it a try

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
Pixel Noir

quote:

Untangle a gripping conspiracy in this noir-influenced mystery, laced with classic RPG elements. Navigate seedy streets to collect clues, upgrade skills and customize weapons. Brawl in turn-based combat with timed hits & combos, to reveal the dark truth that plagues the city’s core and your sanity.

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256999927/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1707404049

Got a bit of a Mario RPG gameplay vibe, timed attacks and defends along with Grandia's ATB system. I picked it up but haven't gotten too far yet, per its page blurb it appears to have some branching choices for party members? I'm enjoying it so far and can report back once I put in more time in it.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

Same, not a good first impression. Dominion is a very good game, though, so hopefully they fix it.

Yesterday the game crashed when the AI seemed to be bugging out. How long has this game been in development? I feel bad for anyone who purchased the whole package.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

Trip report - moderately-very buggy. I've encountered a softlock on a sidequest fight and find that trying to run from overworld enemies (before a fight starts) causes a lot of stuttering in the game. There's also not super great feedback on timed hits/blocks which when coupled with your party's moderately low accuracy (""70%"") feels like fights take longer than they should in my opinion. The game looks nice graphically and the writing isn't bad, but the performance is definitely hindering my enjoyment.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Witch Hand came out yesterday.

You're a witch (one of three, depending upon difficulty level you choose) investigating a new realm that has opened up. Build card-based teams, card-based cities, and card-based logistics where cards spawn cards which other cards collect to add to reactive card stacks to generate better cards!

If you've played Cultist Simulator or Stacklands, it's very similar mechanics. The main differences are that it's less interested in exploration (cards are pretty clear on how they work and what they do, and so unlike Cultist Simulator you're not experimenting constantly trying to see what does what) and more interested in you setting up engines that auto-process cards for you into the high-tier stuff you'll need to take on the late game enemies.

It's just over :10bux: right now, and well worth your time. Reviews are Very Positive (95%) and I spent about eight hours with it yesterday.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Has anyone in this thread mentioned MoonBreaker yet?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/845890/Moonbreaker/

It's by unknown worlds (Subnautica) and is trying to be a Warhammer-like tabletop online thing on a smaller game scale. Is the gameplay good? I don't know and I may never find out. The mini painting is good, though! It has auto-masking, paint tools, washes, glazes, dry brushes, air brushes, basically all the stuff you're used to if you ever dove into a mini painting hobby. I've been having a good time just chilling and painting some weird dudes while watching something on the TV.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Some discord friends have brought it up from time to time in a good light while playing the early release, for both the painting system and the gameplay. No firsthand experience just because it's not a genre for me.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Good Citizen posted:

Has anyone in this thread mentioned MoonBreaker yet?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/845890/Moonbreaker/

It's by unknown worlds (Subnautica) and is trying to be a Warhammer-like tabletop online thing on a smaller game scale. Is the gameplay good? I don't know and I may never find out. The mini painting is good, though! It has auto-masking, paint tools, washes, glazes, dry brushes, air brushes, basically all the stuff you're used to if you ever dove into a mini painting hobby. I've been having a good time just chilling and painting some weird dudes while watching something on the TV.

I've been meaning to get round to this as I bought it in EA ages ago. It has one of the most friendly Discords I've ever been in. The tutorial was very polished and the game seems great.

Maphis
Apr 22, 2012
An ultra-short (sub-one hour) free-to-play 2D Platformer with a lot of Celeste in its movement and feel. Adorable player character and fantastic music.

99% Postive out of 909 reviews (and I just loved it myself):

Sheepy: A Short Adventure

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256955380/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1687877984

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Maphis posted:

An ultra-short (sub-one hour) free-to-play 2D Platformer with a lot of Celeste in its movement and feel. Adorable player character and fantastic music.

99% Postive out of 909 reviews (and I just loved it myself):

Sheepy: A Short Adventure

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256955380/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1687877984

Speaking of Celeste, not sure if it was mentioned here before but Celeste 64 was released on the Maddy Makes Games itch.io account. It's a pretty good time and god drat if it doesn't feel a lot like Celeste despite being 3d.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Airhead

quote:

Help a small body save a head-like organism full of air, from a leak that threatens its life. Explore their Metroidvania-style world and overcome challenging environmental puzzles to find the key to the head's survival.
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256996497/movie480_vp9.webm
No reviews yet. 10% launch discount.

Dice of God

quote:

Roll the dice, will the outcome be a blessing or a punishment?
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256993087/movie480_vp9.webm
96% out of 53.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Ultros

quote:

ULTROS is a psychedelic metroidvania where you wake up stranded on The Sarcophagus — a cosmic uterus holding an ancient, demonic being. Trapped in the loop of a black hole, you will have to explore The Sarcophagus and meet its inhabitants to understand the part you play...
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/257000522/movie480_vp9.webm
82% out of 17. 10% launch discount.

Lysfanga: The Time Shift Warrior

quote:

Your Kingdom’s fate relies on you… you… and you. Rewind time to create clones of your past-selves, and fight with an army of your own. Become legion and triumph over hordes of monsters to rescue Antala in this Hack 'n' Slash game with a tactical twist.
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256996232/movie480_vp9.webm
100% out of 3. 20% launch discount.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

This is very much more a puzzle game than any kind of beat em up. Played the NextFest demo, and I thought it was pretty meh overall. Music loop was short and repetitive. Did not encounter any kind of boss before losing interest.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Banishers:Ghosts of New Eden
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/257000110/movie480_vp9.webm

New one from Don't Nod. Very positive on Steam and gaming sites are giving it about 7/10. I actually enjoyed Remember Me and Vampyr despite their flaws, so may give it a try.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm intrigued by this but this review makes it sound like it's more like a demo:

quote:

This "game" has a great idea, and it deserves to be fleshed out. However this is not enough to be worth charging money for yet. I beat everything this game has to offer in fifteen minutes, and during that time i did not come close to losing. it has no substance whatsoever. Not enough here.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Fatty posted:

Banishers:Ghosts of New Eden
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/257000110/movie480_vp9.webm

New one from Don't Nod. Very positive on Steam and gaming sites are giving it about 7/10. I actually enjoyed Remember Me and Vampyr despite their flaws, so may give it a try.

I hadn't heard of this until yesterday when someone posted about it in the steamdeck thread: it apparently runs at a locked 40-45 on the deck with no trouble. So that's cool.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

External Organs posted:

I hadn't heard of this until yesterday when someone posted about it in the steamdeck thread: it apparently runs at a locked 40-45 on the deck with no trouble. So that's cool.

That's surprising because I saw a review talking about bad framerate drops in certain situations on a gaming laptop.

Either way, I'll check it out. I liked the idea of Vampyr but the combat was pretty bad and frustrating, never came close to finishing it. And from what I've heard, the combat in this one is also kind of bad. But, the story was praised.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1990110/SpellRogue/
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256997338/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1707757044

quote:

SpellRogue is a turn-based, deckbuilding roguelike where you cast powerful spells using your Mana Dice, gain legendary artifacts, upgrade your spells and experiment with potent combinations to annihilate the Voidwalkers corrupting the world.
90% positive out of 71.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1768650/Path_of_the_Abyss/
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256853343/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1668170172

quote:

Dive deep into the Abyss.
93% positive out of 177. Early Access. This is NOT brand new, it's a couple months old, but I don't believe it was ever posted.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
A note on Path of the Abyss: it's playable in English, but the script is purely machine translated. There's plans for a real translation later, but that's why the game's store page says "English language not supported".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

It's now 95% out of 20 and after playing it for 90 minutes I'm thoroughly engrossed. It's Hollow Knight on psychadelics with a better map and a combat system that rewards variety like a DMC or Bulletstorm game. Every single room is worth just sitting in for a minute to look at all the gorgeous details of the back and foreground. It is a thoroughly weird game in the most positive way possible.