Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Buck Turgidson posted:

I use vim.... with a colmak layout :twisted:

this is sicko poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

gabensraum posted:

i don't play games and am going to give desktop linux a go again, i suspect lack of native ms teams and outlook for o365 will be the most annoying things, i presume the web versions are the only good options

also surprised to hear shade about firefox earlier. i switched back to it a couple of years ago (on windows) and for my use case it has improved beyond chrome/edge.

if real MS office somehow worked in Linux I’d use it everywhere. it’s admission I’m now a PowerPoint engineer :negative:

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

mystes posted:

Luckily they won't be able to figure out how to get you to quit

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Buck Turgidson posted:

I use vim.... with a colmak layout :twisted:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

NihilCredo posted:

poe's law in full effect - i cannot tell if that "isn't that easy?" is ironic or not, because I could see a vim user genuinely believing that

for the latter type, every halfway modern text editor lets you hold down a modifier (typically ctrl-alt) to create multiple cursors, which will do this stuff trivially and more

or indeed just select a region and push a button to comment it out, except it also works when you’re editing things like html that don’t have line comments

note that in this case “halfway modern text editor” includes emacs too. (and probably vim, but nobody knows what the button is in vim)

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

after thinking about it 2 months ago and then forgetting, I am going to put Linux on the desktop. wish me luck.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
good luck.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Silver Alicorn posted:

ok so here’s what you do is like

press control v, that takes you into visual block mode. then you press down and you’re selecting lines. once you select a block, press shift + i and it’ll go into edit mode. type a hashtag and then press escape twice. now the whole block is commented! isn’t that easy? to undo it, press control v, select all the hashtags, then press x

lol all of this is easier to do in nano, and the keyboard shortcuts actually make some semblance of sense

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
plus nano has mouse mode, so you can just select blocks of whatever and hit the shortcut to apply your comment formatting or whatever

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Hed posted:

if real MS office somehow worked in Linux I’d use it everywhere. it’s admission I’m now a PowerPoint engineer :negative:

define "real MS office"? many recent (but not latest, granted) office versions work under wine

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Beeftweeter posted:

plus nano has mouse mode, so you can just select blocks of whatever and hit the shortcut to apply your comment formatting or whatever

vim also has mouse mode :smug: I'm still figuring out how to use it though

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Silver Alicorn posted:

vim also has mouse mode :smug: I'm still figuring out how to use it though

it's usually enabled by default on nano, but if it isn't the shortcut is real easy to remember: meta+M

it works pretty much how you'd expect it to, except the shortcuts for copy/cut/paste are different because ctrl-c, v and x do different things in a terminal (actually ctrl-x is how you quit nano)

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
yeah but does nano make you feel like a leet hacker man? case closed

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Well Played Mauer posted:

sure does, look at this spaghetti bullshit i threw together last night because my router has an in-rom avahi-daemon that makes the wan connection not work properly

relatedly entware has become enough of a pain in the rear end (and was just deprecated last week anyway) that i'm going to be throwing openwrt on there probably today or tomorrow

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i like vim. well, thanks for reading.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I use vscode. sometimes I use nano and that’s fine too. my boss is a big vim guy though so maybe one day I’ll check that out as well. why not.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I like vscode a lot but I have my reasons for using vim & I feel it's good to know both

mystes
May 31, 2006

I use vim sometimes but I wouldn't say I like it

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

Sleng Teng posted:

I use vscode. sometimes I use nano and that’s fine too. my boss is a big vim guy though so maybe one day I’ll check that out as well. why not.

caving in to pressure from Big Vim

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I’m full of vim and vigor :grin:

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

Hey, posting is posting. You emptyquote, I turn my monitor on; what's the difference?
i like vim and don't care if people use vscode until they cant do anything without a vs code plugin

vs code's remote sessions are really slick if you're doing real work remotely. but if i just want to do something small and quick remotely i scp over my vimrc and im off to the races

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

more like vschoad

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

what is this terminal font :swoon:

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Well Played Mauer posted:

one of the best engineers I've ever worked with used nano exclusively

Soricidus posted:

or indeed just select a region and push a button to comment it out, except it also works when you’re editing things like html that don’t have line comments

note that in this case “halfway modern text editor” includes emacs too. (and probably vim, but nobody knows what the button is in vim)

it's gc if you're using comment.nvim op

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
holy poo poo there are people who actually use nano for purposes beyond “I occasionally need to tweak text files on vanilla linux servers and it’s that or vi”?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i used nano for like three weeks as a frosh

i'll let the pico/nano users slide though. now joe users. gently caress those guys and their habit of leaving joe turds all over the filesystem

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Beeftweeter posted:

lol all of this is easier to do in nano, and the keyboard shortcuts actually make some semblance of sense

real DOS-hards use tilde

it's actually not that bad

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

post hole digger posted:

i like vim. well, thanks for reading.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I first started using nano in college when it was the e-mail text editor that everyone had to use on the Sun server.

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

nano has syntax highlighting now which is wild

I still prefer emacs tho

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

i used to use emacs in uni because i thought it made me king poo poo, now i use vscode/nano because i actually respect myself

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

oh no blimp issue posted:

i used to use emacs in uni because i thought it made me king poo poo, now i use vscode/nano because i actually respect myself

same but Jetbrains products for the IDE.

ALSO, gedit with the terminal plugin is very needs suiting for Makefile\bitbake\bash script editing.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

i do definitely enjoy using the jetbrains ides
i really wish they just released a mega ide tbh, having to switch between rider, clion and pycharm was kinda awkward, and was one of the reasons i just started using vscode

based64
Feb 15, 2024

:question:

based64 fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Apr 8, 2024

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

e: nm

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

shackleford posted:

what is this terminal font :swoon:

that's just regular ol' source code pro

i prefer and used to use courier prime code/sans a while back (scroll down the page a bit, i'm not talking about courier prime itself per se), but the method i was using to add fonts to ios doesn't seem to work anymore :smith:

i still use it on all my pcs though

e: tbh i prefer a slashed zero though, and source code pro does have it as a true/opentype style alternate, so if courier prime code didn't exist i'd probably fire up fontforge and swap the glyphs or something. still wouldn't solve the ios font problem but meh i don't do much real work on there beyond the odd script from time to time anyway

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 18, 2024

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Soricidus posted:

holy poo poo there are people who actually use nano for purposes beyond “I occasionally need to tweak text files on vanilla linux servers and it’s that or vi”?

yeah, because it's better than vi

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i think there's one thing we can all agree upon though:

outhole surfer posted:

now joe users. gently caress those guys

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i just use emacs with full color mode enabled so it looks the same in a terminal over ssh as in a local UI

tried it on the phone and it seems to work there too:

tapping within the editor moves the cursor to the tapped location also

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

oh no blimp issue posted:

i do definitely enjoy using the jetbrains ides
i really wish they just released a mega ide tbh, having to switch between rider, clion and pycharm was kinda awkward, and was one of the reasons i just started using vscode

that looks like what this thing currently in beta is supposed to be?

https://www.jetbrains.com/fleet/