Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I forgot to mention that I also hate Mulder's Season 2 hair, it looks childish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Decided to rewatch Anasazi+The Blessing Way+Paper Clip tonight and spotted this in Paper Clip, not sure if I ever noticed before:

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The cigarette-smoking basset hound.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Started an X-Files podcast. Trailer is out, first episode on Thursday.

https://www.nonhumanbiologics.cool/

We celebrated by making a cover of Time After Time but it's X-Files.

We make jokes and hopefully manage to have some insight on a show that's 30 years old and had a bunch of other super smart people podcast about it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I was talking about how much I love minor character actors the other day, so I decided to show some mates the Karin Konoval episode of The X-Files. No, not that one. No, not that one either.

This one.

It's just so batshit. The first quarter or so is incredibly, incredibly serious, just the most by the books X-File episode possible. Anderson and Duchovny are given mounds of terrible exposition that they just motor through like they can't give a gently caress. So far, so depressing. But then the guest star of the week (Konoval) turns up and the entire thing takes a sudden and absolute slide into the deepest nonsense and it's very funny.

The central concept -- naughty psychic twins with multiple personalities -- is just wonderfully dumb and out there, and the show treats it with as about as much respect and logic as it deserves. It's mostly just an excuse for Konoval (double cast as both brother and sister) to ham it up playing four distinctly different characters. She absolutely drives the plot of the thing, Scully and Mulder are just there to turn up and be confused. But it's really loving fun -- sure, partly because Chris Carter has a slightly creeky, old person sense of humour, but that also just adds to the sense of weirdness and camp the episode has going for it. Amplified by Mulder and Scully's deadfaced scowling throughout the episode; they're taking everything deadly seriously, even if everything else about the story is extremely over the top and stupid.

I'd forgotten that there's also a bunch of fun, dumb bits of business around the edges, e.g. a very silly double act involving a pair of nurses, or this gag about a dude's sword collection. It's very much a latter day X-Files -- the regulars are a bit over it, it doesn't look super nice -- but it's also really fun. I should probably go through and re-evaluate Season Eleven some time, because I remember there being some good stuff throughout there beyond the big one that everyone loves (Forehead Sweat).

Edit: My favourite gag from the ep is that there's absolutely no attempt to explain what's going on, except at one point Scully suggests that maybe there's psychic powers involved. Which is exactly this episode's sense of humour, just very dumb, very funny.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Nov 13, 2023

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Chris Carter gets a lot of poo poo for bad writing, bad dialogue, bad ideas, and too much rape in his stories, but I’m watching his black-and-white episode about the mutated guy, and it’s shot very well—it’s hard to do black and white well. I like it more than when I was a kid. There’s still too much rape, though.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P96TWg8nIk0

This is probably my favorite scene in the whole show. The whip zoom in on Mutato dancing is so loving good. My biggest complaint about modern serialized TV is that you can't "waste" an episode on something fun or weird anymore.

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 26, 2023

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
It's not so much modern serialized TV thats the problem, it's the switch to 10-ish episode seasons.

If you have a weird one-off episode that might not hit in a 24 episode season, it's not a big deal. Ditto for any episode that might not be great. But in a 10 (or less!) episode season, you're really gonna feel it if one is not so hot.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
One day a show will come out and it's whole gimmick will be having 27 episodes a season. Nobody knows what the show is about, they don't care, everyone is just watching amazed to see a full length season of anything.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

OldSenileGuy posted:

It's not so much modern serialized TV thats the problem, it's the switch to 10-ish episode seasons.

If you have a weird one-off episode that might not hit in a 24 episode season, it's not a big deal. Ditto for any episode that might not be great. But in a 10 (or less!) episode season, you're really gonna feel it if one is not so hot.

I'm still amazed Strange New Worlds got made

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Was thinking about that Project Blue Book series on the History Channel and my brain started screaming "The Love Song of J Allen Hynek"

Way too niche of a punchline to ever actually use

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh man, I just watched the "smoking alien" ep (where the smoking "alien" is an air force guy who staged a fake abduction, then was abducted in the middle of it) and that was great! The pic of the alien smoking was worth it alone - very .gif-able :D

I always love that "retelling from various perspectives" format, if they do it in a funny way. (e.g. Scully censoring the expletives, etc) Kinda reminds me of a particular Delta Green TTRPG mission/scenario that's set up the same way, which I found cool. Never ran it before, but I'm kinda tempted now

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I choose to believe the guy’s story about Mulder eating pie is 100% the gods honest truth.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Abso-fuckin'-lutely! That was such good acting, with him just asking such blunt abduction questions while wolfing down that damned pie. Didn't even look like that great a pie, tbh. So good

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Who’s the better guest star: Peter Boyle or Charles Nelson Riley?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I AM GRANDO posted:

Who’s the better guest star: Peter Boyle or Charles Nelson Riley?

I have to stick with Peter Boyle as one of the best guest stints in TV history, but CNR was pretty great too.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Major Isoor posted:

Oh man, I just watched the "smoking alien" ep (where the smoking "alien" is an air force guy who staged a fake abduction, then was abducted in the middle of it) and that was great! The pic of the alien smoking was worth it alone - very .gif-able :D

I always love that "retelling from various perspectives" format, if they do it in a funny way. (e.g. Scully censoring the expletives, etc) Kinda reminds me of a particular Delta Green TTRPG mission/scenario that's set up the same way, which I found cool. Never ran it before, but I'm kinda tempted now

At some point in my life, I will find the perfect opportunity to say "Who, Lord Kinbote?" in a puzzled tone of voice and absolutely no-one will have a loving clue what I'm talking about, but at least I'll find it funny

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

kingturnip posted:

At some point in my life, I will find the perfect opportunity to say "Who, Lord Kinbote?" in a puzzled tone of voice and absolutely no-one will have a loving clue what I'm talking about, but at least I'll find it funny

Yeah I've gotta keep that one in mind too, since despite nobody understanding the reference, I'm sure it'll still feel like a bloody ripper! :D Such a goldmine of an ep, reference-wise

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I bought seasons 1 & 2 on DVD from the shop recently, watching now. I have never actually watched the series, only maybe a handful of episodes. just finished Conduit. and im likeing it

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

its good, op

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

but its also good*, too

truly a world of opinion

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Yeah I only started watching in recent months and I, too, can confirm that it's good viewin'

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

imho the single best episode is season 3 (also kinda where it peaks), but even after it gets bad it still knocks the odd episode outta the park here and there.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

alexandriao posted:

imho the single best episode is season 3 (also kinda where it peaks), but even after it gets bad it still knocks the odd episode outta the park here and there.

It’s curious that you started talking about the best episode, but then ended up talking about the best season

*pause*

It’s not a mistake a real human fan would make.

alexandriao… if that is your real name… I’m a Federal Agent, and I want you to put your hands up, right now.

*immediately loses gun during very brief physical confrontation/chase scene*

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

MrMojok posted:

*immediately loses gun during very brief physical confrontation/chase scene*

Oh yeah, I always found this high dumb-yet-funny, haha - that one ep where he brought a thigh-holstered pistol elicited a "FINALLY!", but also a good laugh

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

MrMojok posted:

It’s curious that you started talking about the best episode, but then ended up talking about the best season

lol, I wanted to avoid spoilers.

There are many good episodes but Pusher of season 3 is a standout that I show everyone at least once.

The decline hits on the border between 5/6 for me. The UFO uncovering two-parter is just a complete mess and the episodic decline in quality that started happening sometime after season 3, gets overall much steeper. the further away from that datum you get, the worse a random episode is likely to be, even though the peaks of individual standout episodes in the seasons hit more or less the same level.

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Feb 18, 2024

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The show was dead to me once Scully was staying in a tent on an African beach. That’s just way too far from what I liked about the first three seasons.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
i can already tell i'm about to make x-files my whole personality for the next 2-3 years. i'm hooked

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

barnold posted:

i can already tell i'm about to make x-files my whole personality for the next 2-3 years. i'm hooked

It's definitely that kind of show. Only downside is once you finish it, there's nothing quite like it to watch next.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
And by "once you finish it" we mean once you've watched season 7, when the show officially ended

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Dogget is a pretty fantastic character and I enjoyed Patrick's performance a lot. I didn't connect with Reyes that much but I think she's probably a bit underrated.

I don't skip S8 or S9 on rewatches, and feel like S7 is kind of a bummer season to end on in general, especially that finale just bleh. If you're going to end somewhere early, it's after S5 and FtF, but then you miss out on some really fun s6 and s7 episodes. Eg Dreamland or X Cops or Hollywood AD. Basically the non mytharc ones. But yes these fun episodes are a big departure from the earnestness of the first 3 or 4 seasons.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

piratepilates posted:

It's definitely that kind of show. Only downside is once you finish it, there's nothing quite like it to watch next.

I think Fringe is a worthy successor, though a few key elements are very different or missing entirely.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Supernatural's first five seasons are pretty good at hitting a lot of the same beats. I'd probably place a lot of them above the bulk of what Fringe was doing. There are some very strong episodes e.g. the bank heist episode, the monster mash ep.

Though I think by far the best successor has been Evil.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

barnold posted:

It has been my personality for 30 years so welcome!

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
...as for forums poster Gravitee - that ticking time bomb of insanity - their quest into the unknown has so warped their psyche, one shudders to think how they receive any pleasures from life.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Laterite posted:

...as for forums poster Gravitee - that ticking time bomb of insanity - their quest into the unknown has so warped their psyche, one shudders to think how they receive any pleasures from life.

Oh man, this page has been an absolute goldmine, all from one episode! I'd somehow completely forgotten about that quote, but my god it made me laugh when I heard it! :D (And read it) Such a great line, hahaha

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
Lol also

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

when mulder said "i want to believe" at the end of conduit....i felt that

poronty
Oct 19, 2006
a hung Aryan
Just gotten up to Season 8 in my rewatch (having only ever watched up to the end of S7), and the slug messiah cult episode (Roadrunners) made me absolutely furious at how the screenwriter made Scully lose 50 IQ for zero discernible reason.

From the moment on where she just lets an extremely skeevy-acting stranger pour something into her car's tank without checking what it actually is and then acts surprised when the car stalls five minutes later, I just groaned through the rest of the episode and could hardly wait for it to go through the 100% predictable motions and be finally over. It's like, how many loving times has she been in extremely similar situations now? Why is she suddenly being so incredibly gullible and stupid. This is not Scully anymore, she's been body-swapped with a completely brainless bimbo.

Been enjoying Doggett at least, so this new-to-me season isn't a total loss yet. I do hope it doesn't have too many of those jokey parody episodes like Clyde Bruckman and Bad Blood, never been a fan of those at all. I know I'm probably alone in the universe with that opinion but almost all of those supposedly brilliant award-winning funny episodes fall completely flat for me. Only exception might be Je Souhaite, that was the only one I found genuinely funny and clever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
There are jokey episodes... and then there are Darin Morgan episodes. His are always consistent with the show's theme, having fun without being mocking (as said earlier, we can all easily see Mulder's pie scene in "Jose Chung" happening), and tend to have real emotional weight.

Other tongue-in-cheek episodes are less consistent, but if you recognize the difference, the "jokey fandom" will make a lot more sense.