Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

rotor posted:

SF proper still has insanely lovely broadband anywhere that fiber hasnt gotten to

this was always funny as hell when I visited my gf out there... "you're in the tech capital of the most powerful nation on earth! and your best bet is to... steal WiFi from the cafe across the street?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

:911:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

don't forget it's also the insane hippie NIMBY capital of the world where they think the roadside fiber boxes are giving them cancer

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Sagebrush posted:

don't forget it's also the insane hippie NIMBY capital of the world where they think the roadside fiber boxes are giving them cancer

i thought that was sebastopol

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

what counts as "fibre" in the US? The UK definition is iirc a hazy "fibre to the cabinet" Vs "fibre to the home" which come in as "fibre" and "full fibre" in the marketing much like breakfast cereal.

I was genuinely getting 8mbps in 2019 in central London because of having an ancient copper connection direct to the exchange instead of the local cabinet. It even had an ancient pill style termination point on it which dated back to the 80s. it suuuuuucked.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
I heard horror stories about London internet access. My UK friends cannot believe that by the simple virtue of living in Poland i get to pay 16 Euro a month for a 500 mbps fiber connection in most cities in the country.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

what counts as "fibre" in the US? The UK definition is iirc a hazy "fibre to the cabinet" Vs "fibre to the home" which come in as "fibre" and "full fibre" in the marketing much like breakfast cereal.

I was genuinely getting 8mbps in 2019 in central London because of having an ancient copper connection direct to the exchange instead of the local cabinet. It even had an ancient pill style termination point on it which dated back to the 80s. it suuuuuucked.

if you're not plugging glass into something inside your house its not fiber

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

in america AT&T will gladly sell you a fiber connection that uses fiber somewhere inside their network, and comcast will gladly sell you a 10G connection that... apparently the G doesn't stand for anything.

and the only thing anyone can do about is (checks notes) file a complaint with the National Advertising Review Board

https://icrowdnewswire.com/2024/01/...of-its-network/ posted:

New York, NY – January 31, 2024 – A panel of the National Advertising Review Board (NARB), the appellate advertising body of BBB National Programs, recommended that Comcast Cable Communications, LLC discontinue use of the term 10G in the product service name “Xfinity 10G Network” and when 10G is used descriptively to describe the Xfinity network.

The advertising at issue had been challenged by Verizon Communications Inc. Following the National Advertising Division’s (NAD) decision (Case No. 7213), Comcast appealed NAD’s finding that 10G as used by the advertiser communicates express messages that are unsubstantiated.

In agreement with NAD, the NARB panel determined that Comcast should discontinue use of the term 10G, both when used in the name of the service itself (“Xfinity 10G Network”) as well as when used to describe the Xfinity network. The use of 10G in a manner that is not false or misleading and is consistent with the panel decision is not precluded by the panel recommendations.

[…]

Initially, Comcast stated that it was unable to comply with NARB’s recommendations because the issues on appeal were the subject of a separate NARB appeal that was pending following NAD’s decision in a similar (but not identical) advertising challenge brought by T-Mobile US, Inc. (Case No. 7212). That appeal (NARB Panel 325) was subsequently decided.

Thereafter, Comcast stated that “although it strongly disagrees with NARB’s analysis and approach,” Comcast will modify its advertising to comply with the panel recommendations as set forth in the decision in Panel 325.

this is apparently a completely private sector thing that these large american telcos/cablecos nevertheless afford more deference to than the decisions of actual regulators

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh boy, it's a wing of the Better Business Bureau, famously an effective and well-respected organization

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

shackleford posted:

in america AT&T will gladly sell you a fiber connection that uses fiber somewhere inside their network, and comcast will gladly sell you a 10G connection that... apparently the G doesn't stand for anything.

and the only thing anyone can do about is (checks notes) file a complaint with the National Advertising Review Board

this is apparently a completely private sector thing that these large american telcos/cablecos nevertheless afford more deference to than the decisions of actual regulators

lol so it's just as bad with the "fibre may not mean fibre" marketing poo poo, no surprises there

Jonny 290 posted:

if you're not plugging glass into something inside your house its not fiber

into anything you say....

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i dont get it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Jonny 290 posted:

i dont get it

hes stickin it in his butt

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that seems dangerous.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

rotor posted:

hes stickin it in his butt

correct. this is how I post so fast

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

speaking of SF NIMBYs and fiber-to-the-cabinet, the FTTC boxes were exactly the issue that AT&T fought the NIMBYs over about a decade back

e.g. https://stopthecap.com/2011/08/25/groups-sue-att-over-san-francisco-u-verse-cabinets-environmental-review-demanded/

NIMBYs literally demanding environmental review over padmounted sheet metal enclosures on sidewalks. i guess the capacitors in those nokia ISAM's could leak onto the pavement or something

i think at one point SF city supervisors were janitoring permits for individual boxes

these are the boxes with VDSL2+ hardware inside them that are fed with fiber and terminate the copper lines from subscribers and do up to like 50/10 Mbps on one pair and 100/20 Mbps on two bonded pairs, depending on if they've been fully upgraded and line length/condition i guess. anyway that poo poo's completely obsolete now and AT&T's letting all the infrastructure of this type rot across the country

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

shackleford posted:

i think at one point SF city supervisors were janitoring permits for individual boxes

good, glad to hear they were doing something

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
does this count as funy tech poo poo? cable burn-in services for audio freaks!

https://www.nutsabouthifi.com/services/

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

rotor posted:

good, glad to hear they were doing something

yeah! lol

https://stopthecap.com/2011/07/27/att-installs-first-of-495-u-verse-cabinets-on-the-streets-of-san-francisco/ posted:

AT&T anticipates taking at least two years to complete the project across the city, but claims it remains open to bypassing neighborhoods that simply refuse to accept its boxes. AT&T might not have a choice, considering the agreement they have with city officials.

Neighborhoods must be given time to provide input to city officials before permits are issued to AT&T. If a city supervisor in a particular district doesn’t like the boxes, the “memorandum of understanding” grants the politician ultimate veto power over AT&T’s permit requests. That means AT&T will be forced to do a lot of hand-holding public relations throughout the city to win support for their equipment.

meanwhile comcast's fiber-to-the-node equipment and cable amps etc. are a good deal smaller but more numerous than AT&T's FTTC equipment and they can just polemount or strandmount it or just open the sidewalk up and chuck it in a mud hole

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

shackleford posted:

yeah! lol

meanwhile comcast's fiber-to-the-node equipment and cable amps etc. are a good deal smaller but more numerous than AT&T's FTTC equipment and they can just polemount or strandmount it or just open the sidewalk up and chuck it in a mud hole

i got sonic fiber and its great, comcast & att can suck it

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

the pills i take are fiber

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

we have fiber to the house where i live which is nice. meanwhile cox continues to try to sell their home internet service as "panoramic wifi" and have just completely replaced the word "internet" with "wifi" for everything involving home internet service

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

psiox posted:

does this count as funy tech poo poo? cable burn-in services for audio freaks!

https://www.nutsabouthifi.com/services/

you should come post in the mocking audiophiles thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4042004

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Branch Nvidian posted:

we have fiber to the house where i live which is nice. meanwhile cox continues to try to sell their home internet service as "panoramic wifi" and have just completely replaced the word "internet" with "wifi" for everything involving home internet service

our apartment complex forcibly upgraded us from our byod modem to a cox-supplied ~panoramic wifi~ thing (which was just a whitelabeled pylon from comcast/sky/etc judging from the html the menu shat out)

nothing like having every single apartment in the complex now broadcasting CoxWifi to ensure you never got a good wifi signal again

(and on top of that, being unable to set any of the actual settings on it if you put it into bridge mode -- which you have to do, because otherwise it tries to act like an all-in-one router with, what, one outgoing ethernet port? lmao)

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
In communist spain we have 10Gb symmetric for €25 a month.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
we know

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i remember going to communist romania in the late 00s and seeing a billboard ad for a cell phone plan. it was roughly equivalent to what you'd get in the $120/mo highest end iphone plans at the time -- 1500 anytime minutes, no roaming, unlimited texts, 5 gigabytes of data, etc.

it was 5 euros a month and advertised as a starter plan for teenagers

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

i remember going to communist romania in the late 00s and seeing a billboard ad for a cell phone plan. it was roughly equivalent to what you'd get in the $120/mo highest end iphone plans at the time -- 1500 anytime minutes, no roaming, unlimited texts, 5 gigabytes of data, etc.

it was 5 euros a month and advertised as a starter plan for teenagers

didn't romania stop being communist in the 80s?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

outhole surfer posted:

90s and Ceausescu was the same kind of communist Kim Jong Il was

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
sms messages costing 25 cents each

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

outhole surfer posted:

yes, it was a riff on forums poster "other people"s post. they didn't actually have cell phones in romania when it was communist

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Zamujasa posted:

sms messages costing 25 cents each

i told some of my students this one recently and they literally would not believe me.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
in 96 i had a job at the racetrack and used it to buy an enormous nokia brick and i paid like 40 bucks a month for 100 minutes (no long distance included) didnt even have sms at all which didnt matter cause nobody used it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

in 96 i had a job at the racetrack

cars, horses or dogs?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

rotor posted:

cars, horses or dogs?

gas station
https://www.racetrac.com/

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

my folks owned a towing company, so we had some form of cell phone from the early 90s on. a motorola bag phone that never got used, plus car phones in each of our cars/trucks. this was in hilly eastern kentucky, so we kept those truck phones until they shut down the amps network, because all the small digital phones would lose service out in the hollers

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

outhole surfer posted:

my folks owned a towing company, so we had some form of cell phone from the early 90s on. a motorola bag phone that never got used, plus car phones in each of our cars/trucks. this was in hilly eastern kentucky, so we kept those truck phones until they shut down the amps network, because all the small digital phones would lose service out in the hollers

quote:

In the deep, dark hills of eastern Kentucky
That's the place where I trace my bloodline
And it's there I read on a hillside gravestone
"You will never leave Harlan alive"

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

hell yes

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rotor posted:

cars, horses or dogs?

Oaklawn down in Hot Springs. Horses, coupla slots rooms iirc. It went to poo poo when they started doing dog track simulcasts in the off season. Grim poo poo, i tell you.

I and all my buddies did post-12th-race cleanup. Draining those margarita machines and sniping giant shrimp cocktails that the rich dudes upstairs abandoned when they lost in the last

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Jesus said "I will rebuild this temple in three days." I could make a compiler in 3 days.