Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Zamujasa posted:

how much were texts costing when imessage came out, anyway

i remember that some networks had one tier of "data", but then if you had a smartphone you had a second tier of :airquote: premium data :airquote: that mysteriously cost more

iirc nothing, apple made at&t give the iphone-specific plan users unlimited texts eventually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

you could also have data but no internet

i used to use my gsm phone as a modem to dial in to an old school dialup isp

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

didn’t someone get a 300+ page bill in the early iPhone days because every network request was a separate line item

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I didn't remember getting one that long but yeah, that was definitely a thing

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
apple wrung a special unlimited data plan out of AT&T for the first generation of iphone, before anyone outside of apple was ready for it or the usage patterns it would enable. there are a handful of people left that are still on it, I think it's cheaper than a modern unlimited data plan. don't remember what its terms were for voice and sms

I lost mine because the company I worked for at the time offered to pay for our phone plans as a perk (we were an ios dev shop), that counted as switching to a new plan and then there was no way back when I eventually left

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

outhole surfer posted:

qirex posted:

didn’t someone get a 300+ page bill in the early iPhone days because every network request was a separate line item

cell phones using circuit switched data feels so weird at this point, it being how things were circa 2008 feels way too late

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 26, 2024

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the 300 page iphone bill has its own wikipedia page and it sounds like there was a line item for every TCP connection the phone made that month

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

is apple the most ethical company ever?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
no

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
yeah and att let us get those $20 grandfathered unlimited monthly data plans for the ipad 1 lol

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

outhole surfer posted:

yeah some phones with circuit switched data enabled could do this. since this was digital already i assume the call to the modem was made at its carrier box and transmitted back to you

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
Remember when Kim.com convinced a bunch of people to invest in his "broadband" connected luxury sportscar with a bank of gsm phones hooked up to a NT box running Routing and Remote Access.

Then he made one prototype and used it as a personal car.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Internet Old One posted:

Remember when Kim.com convinced a bunch of people to invest in his "broadband" connected luxury sportscar with a bank of gsm phones hooked up to a NT box running Routing and Remote Access.

Then he made one prototype and used it as a personal car.

somehow i missed that one, but lol

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

infernal machines posted:

somehow i missed that one, but lol

Because Kim Katashian recently purchased a cybertruck the entire saga is now wiped from google.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

wtf i’m not buying any kim kardashian products anymore

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

didn't Google have a feature that let you search using a version of their index from the past or did they kill that off too

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Internet Old One posted:

Because Kim Katashian recently purchased a cybertruck the entire saga is now wiped from google.
https://www.wired.com/2012/01/kim-dotcom/

quote:

His first effort tied together two of the great loves of his life: the Internet and expensive cars. Schmitz and Data Protect led the development of a real Megacar, an Internet-connected luxury car system with its own Pentium III Windows NT on-board computer, router, multi-camera video conferencing system, and 17-inch display. To get the broadband bandwidth required, the car had 16 multiplexed GSM cellular connections.The sticker price started at $90,000.

While it went nowhere, the press it received helped raise the profile of Data Protect—and of Schmitz. Schmitz was also making other efforts to create his persona. In 1999, according to New Zealand's Investigate magazine (PDF), he was spotted at the airport in Munich getting his picture taken inside parked airplanes, which he then used to suggest that he owned them.
lol

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

more like smegacar

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
does multiplexing cellular modems in the exact same space actually increase the total bandwidth available

or does it only help when there are a bunch of other people around and you're just getting an extra-big share of the available timeslices

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jabor posted:

does multiplexing cellular modems in the exact same space actually increase the total bandwidth available

or does it only help when there are a bunch of other people around and you're just getting an extra-big share of the available timeslices

it depends on the tower’s hardware and backhaul.

but in general yes, that is carrier aggregation.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

rotor posted:

rcs? use svn imo

itym git, namaste

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Not sure if this is the place to mention this, but I fielded a call from an extremely large online BOOKSTORE company who wanted closed loop wash systems installed at their facilities. Their contractors were all driving huge BOOKSTORE branded trucks and couldn't take them to a normal carwash because they were too big. So they wanted these extra large wash stations for them to wash the trucks themselves, over 300 facilities.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

good as any other

have we had a driver die yet from packages falling on them in the trucks

gotta be a matter of time

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
how could that happen? each one foot square box contains one usb stick and a shitload of air bubble packing

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
they've gotten better about that here, depending on the origin/shipper. small items are usually packed in a heavy padded envelope now.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Manzoon posted:

Not sure if this is the place to mention this, but I fielded a call from an extremely large online BOOKSTORE company who wanted closed loop wash systems installed at their facilities. Their contractors were all driving huge BOOKSTORE branded trucks and couldn't take them to a normal carwash because they were too big. So they wanted these extra large wash stations for them to wash the trucks themselves, over 300 facilities.

That seems like an odd choice. When I was at UPS our hub had a single drive-thru wash and all the washing (just like all maintenance) was handled by the hub's fleet guys. Way more efficient to have a few people who just wash the trucks all day during their shift than having every driver do it on their own. Do they expect the drivers to handle the oil changes and tire rotations for the trucks as well?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

LanceHunter posted:

That seems like an odd choice. When I was at UPS our hub had a single drive-thru wash and all the washing (just like all maintenance) was handled by the hub's fleet guys. Way more efficient to have a few people who just wash the trucks all day during their shift than having every driver do it on their own. Do they expect the drivers to handle the oil changes and tire rotations for the trucks as well?

i assume like fedex their drivers are all "independent contractors" so probably

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

how could that happen? each one foot square box contains one usb stick and a shitload of air bubble packing

idk they had a sale on seltzer so i got some and it was just four 12 packs slamming around a box with the rest of my order haha

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

also i don’t think op really differentiated, they could be building these at depots i guess

watch amazon just open these up and also let the public use them to help recoup buildout

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
make discount car washes everywhere a prime benefit, like whole foods

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

i assume like fedex their drivers are all "independent contractors" so probably

ONLINE BOOKSTORE is the keyword here. Famous for making deliveries subsidized by USPS.

They were concerned about their trucks being so dirty it would start to hurt their brand.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Manzoon posted:

ONLINE BOOKSTORE is the keyword here. Famous for making deliveries subsidized by USPS.

They were concerned about their trucks being so dirty it would start to hurt their brand.

yeah, though i remember, beyond their USPS deliveries, the ONLINE BOOKSTORE branded truck deliveries were contracted out similar to how fedex works

ONLINE BOOKSTORE posted:

DSPs are independent businesses that partner with ONLINE BOOKSTORE to deliver packages

Though It looks like they own the trucks unlike fedex contractors

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

LanceHunter posted:

I have no idea what their long term plans are. The person I was talking to sounded like they didn't ha e a clue about what they actually needed. They wanted an automated wash system at first, which we don't really mess with, but have done in the past. We predominantly make heavy duty wash bags for mining and construction equipment which has vehicles being washed all day everyday where they are in use.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Shame Boy posted:

didn't Google have a feature that let you search using a version of their index from the past or did they kill that off too

that sounds pretty useful so they've definitely killed it off by now

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

is amazon word filtered or something

e: guess not :confused:

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

mediaphage posted:

i mean theres probably always going to be people who want to write so i imagine human writing is likely always going to be around, though i for sure wonder about word frequencies, say, changing

Or rather, not changing.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

it could be any company. it could even be a company with an nda

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Carthag Tuek posted:

look buddy, not everybody wants to risk a sub-minimum wage gig economy wetwork squad knocking on their door

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

BrotherJayne posted:

Or rather, not changing.

sure, it’s the same point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

infernal machines posted:

look buddy, not everybody wants to risk a sub-minimum wage gig economy wetwork squad knocking on their door