Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Just got a notice that video pass will auto renew, which i loving hate and thought i set it to not auto renew, so just a heads up.

edit: the option is kinda hidden under subscriptions > view details (drop down) to change the toggle to turn off auto renew

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 30, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Russian Bear posted:

Just got a notice that video pass will auto renew, which i loving hate and thought i set it to not auto renew, so just a heads up.

edit: the option is kinda hidden under subscriptions > view details (drop down) to change the toggle to turn off auto renew

it's a constant complaint that videopass will try to gently caress you like that, usually it's less than twelve hours after the final race of the season

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Ducati.. even faster

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zHCy5RFWRrY

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ducati will grow larger

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I queued for immigration at Newark behind the FIM president just now. He seemed like a bit of a twat

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Factory GP24s topping the test sheets, new lap record for Pecco. Race season can’t start soon enough.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Marc will be on the podium

There I've cursed him, pressures off now

dema
Aug 13, 2006

New thread soon? Getting stoked.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yeah time for a new thread. We can start with Russian Bear's post lol

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

16 more sleeps.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

just reupped my season pass so lets goooooooo. hopefully no more app nonsense and hoping marc kicks rear end, zarco doesnt fade into obscurity because of his crummy honda and nakagami continues his reign as the number 1 15th place finisher

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It'll be interesting to see if the gp24 really is a notable step forward, in that case I suspect Marc's target will be to be the best gp23 rider, which he should manage handily

If they have teething issues or start beating one another up then :getin:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yeah Marquez is gonna be dangerous on the GP23

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

THIS is the year I keep up with it all season and don't fall five races behind by July

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:

numberoneposter posted:

16 more sleeps.

WSBK starts this weekend.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

latifi streams does gp but it's a crapshoot wether you get a bt stream or not

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Looking at the season's wiki, it states that Miguel Oliveira will have the 2024 bike and Raul Fernandez the 2023, that's a bit weird no?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Average Lettuce posted:

Looking at the season's wiki, it states that Miguel Oliveira will have the 2024 bike and Raul Fernandez the 2023, that's a bit weird no?

That's the set up Pramac used to have with Ducati. I think it changed when Pecco and Jack went to the team. Raul is a bit poo poo imo so not really suprising he got the shaft, I dunno if that's confirmed though. I thought they were all starting with 24 engines and the intention was to get Raul the 24 frame at a later date or something

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Average Lettuce posted:

Yeah like Tony quidprano said this is pretty common with satellite teams. I think every manufacturer has done this at some point, it’s just not as obvious from the listings for the other makes as they don’t change their bike’s model number every year.

Also, I know it’s not MotoGP but lol at Andrea Iannone getting on the podium in his first race back after a four-year ban from pro racing, and in a new series to boot. Dude always had the talent.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Also, I know it’s not MotoGP but lol at Andrea Iannone getting on the podium in his first race back after a four-year ban from pro racing, and in a new series to boot. Dude always had the talent.

Now let’s see if he takes out his teammate in one of the remaining races of the weekend to get the full Maniac experience.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

6 hours - podium
6 hours - ram teammate
6 hours - post on insta
Repeat

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Iannone is like the bizarro Vinales where he's insanely talented but then terminally underthinks everything

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

He's the world's fastest himbo

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Yeah like Tony quidprano said this is pretty common with satellite teams. I think every manufacturer has done this at some point, it’s just not as obvious from the listings for the other makes as they don’t change their bike’s model number every year.

Yeah, 20 years ago, Sete Gibernau was the Honda satellite rider on the factory spec, from memory. And everyone else had older gear.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

algebra testes posted:

Yeah, 20 years ago, Sete Gibernau was the Honda satellite rider on the factory spec, from memory. And everyone else had older gear.

When Tech3 was a Yamaha satellite they typically had the previous year’s bikes, and I think that was typical for satellite Honda and Ducati teams in the past too. LCR even ran an open-class bike for a while.

Really it’s always been more typical for satellite teams to either have just the previous year’s factory bike or to have a current-year bike but with almost no factory support. This “factory in all but name” thing is a relatively recent phenomenon I think.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

algebra testes posted:

The final 500cc year had Rossi on a factory bike in a semi-works team, but that (similar to Gibernau a couple years later) was an exception.

It’s fascinating to watch the RC211Vs spread across the grid in 2002, from the Repsol bikes to then Daijiro Kato and finally Alex Barros by end of the year.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

When Tech3 was a Yamaha satellite they typically had the previous year’s bikes, and I think that was typical for satellite Honda and Ducati teams in the past too. LCR even ran an open-class bike for a while.

It depends on the manufacturer's objectives and obviously the satellite team's willingness to fork out money for the current year bike. Ducati seems to be the most comfortable with letting a satellite team beat them with the same bike up to a point, I think KTM likes to pay lip service to the idea but for all the "GasGas is an official factory effort" poo poo they were spewing last year neither of those riders saw the carbon frame and I don't think Tech 3 has ever really seen updates as consistently as the factory KTM team does. Yamaha clearly just wants to get money for hocking old poo poo and have some place to house riders when there wasn't room in the factory team, I think they were the ones that were using some ridiculous term like "Spec A bike" or something at one point for their satellite team to dance around having to say which year bike he had.

I think Aprilia's situation is simply they've got a lot of poo poo going on in changes with how that whole thing is being run the past few years and just now had a satellite team willing to pay the money for current year bikes.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Has there ever been any explanation for Rossi's little ritual of crouching down next to his bike's reassert before every race, other than "its just a little ritual"?

And do any other riders have similar rituals like that pre-race? I seem to remember at least one of Rossi's contemporaries back when I used go watch a lot of GP would stand up in the pegs and 'adjust' the crotch of his leathers, or something.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

It’s just something they do to get into the mindset. Most athletes do stuff like that. If you watch a couple race starts back to back I’m sure you’ll see them do stuff. I think Pecco gives is bike an approving pat once he has it on the grid slot. I think Enea or Martin does the catholic cross thing? Fabio always starts his bike, but that’s not just before the race start.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Barely relevant but I had a decal made of Sharon Stone from Total Recall and put it on the inside of my kart seat, before I got into the kart for every race I'd put my hand on it like Bruce Willis does on the naked lady poster in the air duct area in Die Hard as a little ritual. I dunno why others do poo poo like that but for me it was just a stupid little thing that helps clear the mind.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jack Miller repeatedly punches himself in the chest before burning his tyre and/or crashing out of a podium

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I think that's just him mentally visualising his throttle control and not some weird ritual tbh

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

He's preemptively self flagellating for his inevitable failure

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Toe Rag posted:

It’s just something they do to get into the mindset.

Right, but why that specifically, in Rossi's case? I guess I'm wondering if there's a story behind it, is he talking to the engine, is he ostensibly inspecting the clutch or something, the kind of thing he doesn't really need to do anymore but may have had an experience that led to it in his early days?

Tony quidprano posted:

I think that's just him mentally visualising his throttle control and not some weird ritual tbh

Ah yeah, something like this.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Martin always does a hamstring stretch and squat and then jumps on. I don’t think this is any sort of ritual as much as just making sure he can move his body through the range of motion as riding gp bikes is super taxing and requires great mobility.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

Right, but why that specifically, in Rossi's case? I guess I'm wondering if there's a story behind it, is he talking to the engine, is he ostensibly inspecting the clutch or something, the kind of thing he doesn't really need to do anymore but may have had an experience that led to it in his early days?

If there’s ever been a proper explanation, I’ve never heard it. Which is a shame.

I wonder if he still carries some of those over to the GT3 car now…

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Mister Speaker posted:

Has there ever been any explanation for Rossi's little ritual of crouching down next to his bike's reassert before every race, other than "its just a little ritual"?

And do any other riders have similar rituals like that pre-race? I seem to remember at least one of Rossi's contemporaries back when I used go watch a lot of GP would stand up in the pegs and 'adjust' the crotch of his leathers, or something.

I think he was talking to the bike, maybe a little prayer. He used to spend a lot of time sitting and leaning against the side of his bike, too, also talking to it. The dude even put his boots and gloves on in a particular order.

He also had a whole bunch of personal stickers on his bikes through his whole career, way more than you see from most other riders.

And it was Rossi that stood on his pegs and picked a wedgie, every time he exited pit lane. Also just ritual.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Mister Speaker posted:

Honestly most of these dudes are probably weirdos and have very strong feelings about their bikes. You'd have to look through Rossi's interviews for that answer, I think, but if there is anything besides "because" I would be surprised.

Russian Bear posted:

Martin always does a hamstring stretch and squat and then jumps on. I don’t think this is any sort of ritual as much as just making sure he can move his body through the range of motion as riding gp bikes is super taxing and requires great mobility.

I think this is ritual. There's not way he's not already warmed up and stretched before getting on a bike. While obviously the more powerful the bike and the faster the pace the more physical it is, even a scrub on a 300 on track can be exhausting. This is me from Laguna Seca. I forgot to turn it off, but you can clearly see where I was on the track. When is the last time you did planks, lunges, and squats for 20 minutes straight? Also while going 60mph in 20 pound leather suit. My legs are always super sore the next 2-3 days.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Martin collapsing from heat exhaustion in India shows how hard these guys are working. He's a top level athlete in the prime of his life and he collapses after the race; that would have killed the rest of us. that whole thing kinda freaked me out a little ngl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

At least they're not letting them race with a concussion anymore