Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

iNteg posted:

which scotty/specs? I might be interested if the price is right. using this KS1 is nice, but i'd like a heavier blade and i dont wanna spend the 80 bucks for the weight kit for the KS1, so why not spend a few hundred on a Scotty cameron?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3693961&userid=62388&perpage=40&pagenumber=21#post525638246

Some pics of when I got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

How much are you looking to get for it? im assuming you didn't have anything adjusted? or did you go get a fitting and have it set up for you?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

iNteg posted:

How much are you looking to get for it? im assuming you didn't have anything adjusted? or did you go get a fitting and have it set up for you?

It’s basically stock off the shelf only thing I’ve changed is put a superstroke grip on it. I swapped out the weights but I have the stock ones too.

Here’s some current pics and also a TM Spider I have.

https://imgur.com/a/Wt97Ubj

$350 shipped?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
I have GAS and am a tinkerer at heart but I refuse to look at putters because that is an acquisition syndrome I simply can not afford.

Rocking a Yes! Gina blade for as long as I can hold out.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

GEMorris posted:

I have GAS and am a tinkerer at heart but I refuse to look at putters because that is an acquisition syndrome I simply can not afford.

Rocking a Yes! Gina blade for as long as I can hold out.

Late night online golf shopping has caused some dents over the last few weeks. I can't not buy clearance items. It's a problem.

PXG 0811X driver
Wilson Infinite Putter
and now a Cobra Aerojet 3 wood

At least I got those heavily discounted.

I'm staying away from putters because every time I touch an oddessy blade AI one it feels great and I don't wanna spend $750 on a single club. I'll never touch a Scotty Cameron or LAB or those Bettinardi or whatever. I'm better off not knowing what I'm missing.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Carth Dookie posted:

Late night online golf shopping has caused some dents over the last few weeks. I can't not buy clearance items. It's a problem.

PXG 0811X driver
Wilson Infinite Putter
and now a Cobra Aerojet 3 wood

At least I got those heavily discounted.

I'm staying away from putters because every time I touch an oddessy blade AI one it feels great and I don't wanna spend $750 on a single club. I'll never touch a Scotty Cameron or LAB or those Bettinardi or whatever. I'm better off not knowing what I'm missing.

Where are you shopping that those putters are $750?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

torgeaux posted:

Those light-weights closed the course. Can you imagine? Two inches in a half-hour and they call it quits.

I don’t think the heavy stuff is gonna come for a while :haw:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

harperdc posted:

I don’t think the heavy stuff is gonna come for a while :haw:

Hilariously, they were considering opening for afternoon play. The squall lasted an hour, temps went up and the sun came out. My tee time for Thursday is safe.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

mattfl posted:

It’s basically stock off the shelf only thing I’ve changed is put a superstroke grip on it. I swapped out the weights but I have the stock ones too.

$350 shipped?

you down to do 325? i understand if not. i wish you had PMs, i dont wanna poo poo the thread up too much. looks good, and it looks like it's exactly the type of putter im looking for.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

iNteg posted:

you down to do 325? i understand if not. i wish you had PMs, i dont wanna poo poo the thread up too much. looks good, and it looks like it's exactly the type of putter im looking for.

Ya that would work. Shoot me an email mattfl at the gmails

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

mattfl posted:

Ya that would work. Shoot me an email mattfl at the gmails

donezo.

As an aside, it was 70 degrees yesterday in Michigan, so i went to the range.

I'd been playing on a sim for months, so i hadn't seen how any shot i took improved outside of the computer. I'd had a loft issue and my swing was awful/wooden before the end of last season. So with some lessons and practice and setup changes i went today expecting nothing and was a bit sore from working out that morning. However, my shot shape was night and day from what it was before. I feel like now i get a little -too much- loft from some of my clubs, but the distances were looking pretty good with range balls and it was so loving awesome to hear that nice click off the face and good travel for the first time outdoors since last year.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I'm ball shopping this year. Does anyone know what the equivalent of the Srixon Q star tour balls are?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Carth Dookie posted:

For some people's partners the trigger to knowing your joint account is about to take a hit is walking into the PGA Superstore. For others it's hearing the intro music to a TXG/ClubChampion video. For my wife its hearing me say "oh cool, GolfPartnerUSA is having another sale!"

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

daslog posted:

I'm ball shopping this year. Does anyone know what the equivalent of the Srixon Q star tour balls are?

Do you like them in particular? Or is it the price point? I love their zstars, hate the Qstar.

I've run thru most of the big name online only balls. Snell isn't durable enough for me, vice are pretty good at the top end, but not great pricing until you buy like 5 dozen. I like the Cut Grey, and they're cheap, but they have had reported quality control issues.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

torgeaux posted:

Do you like them in particular? Or is it the price point? I love their zstars, hate the Qstar.

I've run thru most of the big name online only balls. Snell isn't durable enough for me, vice are pretty good at the top end, but not great pricing until you buy like 5 dozen. I like the Cut Grey, and they're cheap, but they have had reported quality control issues.

I kind of like the Q star, but I'm wondering if there is something better. I have a tendency to hook my driver into the woods so I like lower spinning balls.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

daslog posted:

I kind of like the Q star, but I'm wondering if there is something better. I have a tendency to hook my driver into the woods so I like lower spinning balls.

https://mygolfspy.com/buyers-guides/golf-balls/2023-golf-ball-test/

https://www.todays-golfer.com/equipment/best/golf-ball-robot-test-2023/

these two did some tests with all the balls from 2023 with results, hitting from a robotic arm, this might help you find some comparisons to the ball you're looking for, or a lower spinning ball you didn't expect. I typically hit kirklands or the occasional sleeve of supersofts in a matte finish. I do love a pro v1, but i dont wanna pay pro v1 money.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

mattfl posted:

Where are you shopping that those putters are $750?

:australia:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Fuuuuuuuck that blows!

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
This thread has forced my hand. I'm buying a wooden putter.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

My excess guitar sold today so I guess I'm going to turn the money into excess golf clubs soon. :v:

I'm thinking of getting some new irons. I'm curious to see how much has changed since my dad/uncles early 2000s stuff.

I briefly considered a set of Takomos before discovering that I could get some forge tec cobras for not much more and with the chance to actually try before I buy. I'm going to try some mizunos and Titleist and maybe even the TaylorMade p790s to compare against the cobras. Hoping I like the cobras the best since they're the cheapest.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

mattfl posted:

Fuuuuuuuck that blows!

What do they go for in the us? It converts to like… $500 usd?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

SquirrelGrip posted:

What do they go for in the us? It converts to like… $500 usd?

$300.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Carth Dookie posted:

My excess guitar sold today so I guess I'm going to turn the money into excess golf clubs soon. :v:

I'm thinking of getting some new irons. I'm curious to see how much has changed since my dad/uncles early 2000s stuff.

I briefly considered a set of Takomos before discovering that I could get some forge tec cobras for not much more and with the chance to actually try before I buy. I'm going to try some mizunos and Titleist and maybe even the TaylorMade p790s to compare against the cobras. Hoping I like the cobras the best since they're the cheapest.

are you looking at the Forge Tec, or the Forge Tec X irons?

I have the Forge Tec X, and i'm a big fan of them, they felt really good and look pretty great too. i know the Forge Tec irons are more of a players distance iron, and the X's in between a Game Improvement and PD iron from what reviews have said. Hopefully you like them!

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

daslog posted:

double posting here, but i saw a post on reddit today and i've been too lazy to go to walmart, but apparently they're liquidating their golf sections, someone bought boxes of q star tours for 5 bucks a box, might be worth checking out if you like them.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

iNteg posted:

are you looking at the Forge Tec, or the Forge Tec X irons?

I'll probably try both

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Anyone ever get shin splints from golfing?

Couple of weeks ago on the first tee, with a brand new pair of FootJoy spineless shoes, my back (right) foot slipped a little on my tee shot. Thought nothing of it, aside from shanking the poo poo out of the ball. Around the turn I was having some pretty sharp pain in my lower left leg.

Played last week and yesterday, pain is constant. I’ve also been doing some running which is new for me, but I started running after I first noticed it. Tonight, went to the range with my son and 3 hours later I’m in pretty decent pain.

Calling my doc tomorrow because I’m really afraid it’s a fracture or something.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Yes go see your doc, do not loving wait for it to heal on its own. I hurt myself last September and just started PT last week, don't be me.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Muscle strain, no tears no fractures. Also no PT just rest.

Also no golf for 3 weeks atleast. Which, works out since I won’t have much time in March to play.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Not gonna lie, I am never going to play a hybrid again. Those things are the devil. You can catch a heater randomly and pick up 10+ yards. I put a 4 iron back in my bag and love it. 7 wood also works.

mattfl posted:

$350 shipped?

The one thing about LAB putters is you have to get them fitted for your setup. If you don’t, the mechanics behind them don’t work or train bad habits.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Watched Not a scratch golfer on YouTube and listened to his philosophy on course management and blitzed my local par 3 today.

Despite horrendous tee shots I was only in danger of a double bogey a couple times, and made almost all putts in 2 shots or less. Scored my second ever birdie which was much more impressive than my first. 15 yards from on the fringe of the green, and in it went.

Had the exact same kind of putt on the final hole and put it half an inch from the hole. Half an inch to the right and I would've had a 2 birdie round.

Good day of golf.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Carth Dookie posted:

Watched Not a scratch golfer on YouTube and listened to his philosophy on course management and blitzed my local par 3 today.

Despite horrendous tee shots I was only in danger of a double bogey a couple times, and made almost all putts in 2 shots or less. Scored my second ever birdie which was much more impressive than my first. 15 yards from on the fringe of the green, and in it went.

Had the exact same kind of putt on the final hole and put it half an inch from the hole. Half an inch to the right and I would've had a 2 birdie round.

Good day of golf.

I watched a few of his videos and most of it is spot on with how everyone should approach golf. Especially the “boring golf” video.

It’s hard to mentally embrace that on the course sometimes though. But, it’s something I’m trying to work on.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Par 4s? 4 over.
Par 3s? Even.
Par 5s? 3 under.

Bogied #18 to finish with a 73. Maddening.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007
Ugh, so i've been getting lessons from a PGA Pro, and while he has given me one or two good tools, we just don't gel. I'm finding myself unable to put what he's telling me into practice, and i can't understand what he's trying to convey. So i have a lesson, it doesn't translate, and then i gently caress myself up trying to fit myself into a mold that i can't fit into, and then mentally i just implode and have an awful loving time golfing.

I went from making good contact, and being a little right on my golf shots, to a wicked loving slice or blocking all my shots from my 7i down through my driver, and it's absolutely maddening. I paid for 5 lessons and after 3 i think i'm just gonna cut my losses and find someone I can work with that helps me really understand my shot, how it should feel, what drills will work for me. etc. etc. because i leave every lesson not having any clue what the hell is going on, and it's loving with me something fierce, and i spend my entire next time playing on the sim or at the range or on the course pissed and angry that i don't get it. I was at the range yesterday (thank you 71 degrees in michigan) and i watched a driver shot travel just block so hard right it went like 8 bays+ right. If it was a dogleg right I would be absolute money every time with a shot like this.

On the sim it's absolutely like 2500+ rpm of side spin, and my path is showing to be sightly out to in, instead of the in to out i want. i *think* im not squaring my face at impact, and because i'm going out to in slightly, it's making contact at the right point, and then rolling hard off the face slightly to cause that loving path. I don't see it with my short irons because my swing plane feels steeper. either way, i'm having a bad time and i needed to vent, I bought a tripod yesterday, and I'm gonna try to snag some video of my swing to see if i notice anything that i'm not consciously doing. Everyone including the PGA pro said my take away was great, and my back swing was right where it needed to be, so it's gonna be my arms/wrist or body in the downswing (aka my entire swing lol) and i hope i can see what i'm doing and adjust.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Awww yeah got my Sunday tix for the US Open at Pinehurst. stoked

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

iNteg posted:

Ugh, so i've been getting lessons from a PGA Pro, and while he has given me one or two good tools, we just don't gel. I'm finding myself unable to put what he's telling me into practice, and i can't understand what he's trying to convey. So i have a lesson, it doesn't translate, and then i gently caress myself up trying to fit myself into a mold that i can't fit into, and then mentally i just implode and have an awful loving time golfing.

Where are you at in Michigan? I have a dude I can recommend in the Ann Arbor area. Otherwise yeah, post a video. 2500+ sidespin means you’re probably swiping across it out to in, it can be tricky to figure out what you’re doing without someone else watching or a video.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

xsf421 posted:

Where are you at in Michigan? I have a dude I can recommend in the Ann Arbor area. Otherwise yeah, post a video. 2500+ sidespin means you’re probably swiping across it out to in, it can be tricky to figure out what you’re doing without someone else watching or a video.

I'm in Livonia, a guy i go to the sim with isn't a PGA pro, but he does golf instruction on the side. I'm gonna try to get a lesson from him and see if we gel. He's my league partner and my financial advisor as well, weirdly enough. He said one thing and corrected one issue i had with regards to me swinging my clubs and i understood what he wanted, and made more consistent swings/distance than i ever have before, so if we can make it work for me he might be a good option.

Whos your guy in A2?

The Sim I go to is by my old work, in Lake Orion, so i'm driving an hour each way to golf, but i pay a flat rate and can use the sim whenever i want, so it's not some ridiculous cost like xgolf.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

https://lakeforestgc.com/adam-ming/

He does his lessons off grass tees with trackman in the summer, which is really nice. He also uses an app called coachnow where he sends you videos from the lesson marked up with him taking over them, reviewing everything you did in the lesson. You can send him pictures/questions/videos for a few weeks after the lesson and he’ll mark up your videos and give feedback on your progress.

e: example feedback from an iron lesson last summer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp6sLlXXSJk. He usually does one face-on and one down the line for each club you worked on.

xsf421 fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 5, 2024

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

xsf421 posted:

https://lakeforestgc.com/adam-ming/

He does his lessons off grass tees with trackman in the summer, which is really nice. He also uses an app called coachnow where he sends you videos from the lesson marked up with him taking over them, reviewing everything you did in the lesson. You can send him pictures/questions/videos for a few weeks after the lesson and he’ll mark up your videos and give feedback on your progress.

e: example feedback from an iron lesson last summer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp6sLlXXSJk. He usually does one face-on and one down the line for each club you worked on.

nice, i'll check it out. i tried the pros at carls as well, but it was tough to get a time.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

mattfl posted:

$350 shipped?

Bought and received today. Ty sir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitAstronaut
Mar 7, 2024
I completely forgot the Arnold Palmer is this weekend. Who do you have taking it?