Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
if we don't get a cat-rat milking scene i'm going to throw my Dune 2 Souvenir Sandworm Popcorn Bucket at the screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

That's fine just make sure you sanitize it first.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
also lol the ending of the first book is some Sopranos finale nonsense, I love it

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Just saw it last night, was excellent. I'll admit that at the end of part one I was uncertain whether Chalamet could convincingly pull off the latter half of Paul's arc, but he did a great job (and so did makeup/hair to make him look less babyfaced). Similarly, Rebecca Ferguson's part was a lot more prominent this time and she really nailed it. Easily my best theatre experience since... well, part one. :v:

I do have one incredibly petty complaint, though: when Gurney got to get his revenge against Rabban, I was really hoping for a callback to the bagpipes part of the Atreides theme. I can see why they didn't go for it, but it still would've owned.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Feb 29, 2024

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Didnt they still use bagpipes for that scene?, if the soundtrack is accurate to the film at least.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Perestroika posted:

Just saw it last night, was excellent. I'll admit that at the end of part one I was uncertain whether Chalamet could convincingly pull off the latter half of Paul's arc, but he did a great job (and so did makeup/hair to make him look less babyfaced). Similarly, Rebecca Ferguson's part was a lot more prominent this time and really nailed it. Easily my best theatre experience since... well, part one. :v:

I do have one incredibly petty complaint, though: when Gurney got to get his revenge against Rabban, I was really hoping for a callback to the backpipes part of the Atreides theme. I can see why they didn't go for it, but it still would've owned.

I knew Chalamet would pull off the authority and gravity after I saw The King. I didn’t think he’d be so scary though. A lot of terrific camerawork and sound design going into that.

As for the spoilered part… I think that would have been too triumphant. I don’t think Denis wanted the vengeance to be very positive.

DeafNote posted:

Didnt they still use bagpipes for that scene?, if the soundtrack is accurate to the film at least.

They did not.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Perestroika posted:

Just saw it last night, was excellent. I'll admit that at the end of part one I was uncertain whether Chalamet could convincingly pull off the latter half of Paul's arc, but he did a great job (and so did makeup/hair to make him look less babyfaced). Similarly, Rebecca Ferguson's part was a lot more prominent this time and really nailed it. Easily my best theatre experience since... well, part one. :v:

Heh, was thinking that Paul's giving me Revenge of the Sith Anakin vibes there, not unfittingly. And probably not unintentionally either. The babyface look kinda actually works with an unkempt appearance and piercing gaze for looking scary and unsettling.

I love that they stuck with the hard monochrome aesthetic for Giedi Prime, even the fireworks are monochrome there. Just stylish as gently caress. Kinda funny how the Harkonnens look a lot different in Dune's less cooperative lighting, suggesting that they're out of their element. Also the Corrinos out of their peaceful, idyllic park.

They definitely took a lot of liberties with the ending... though I feel like it mostly works. Definitely mostly to make it more cinematic, if you'll excuse my term, but well, I think Dennis would make no apologies for that. Wonder if there's meant to be some symbology to the focus on ants covering the Baron's corpse, with their monochrome insect appearance recalling the Harkonnen troops and general aesthetic themselves.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I feel bad correcting the use of symbology (partially because I know it’s cringe to be so anal about words but mostly because I hate that doing so reminds me of Boondocks Saints), but symbology is the study of symbols. The use of symbols is symbolism.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Paul and Gurney getting to have their personal revenge against the Harkonnens annoys me. Frank chose not to do that for good reason. Admittedly his chosen way of handling it was pretty silly.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

FPyat posted:

Paul and Gurney getting to have their personal revenge against the Harkonnens annoys me. Frank chose not to do that for good reason. Admittedly his chosen way of handling it was pretty silly.

Villeneuve has his reasons giving it to them. It’s not portrayed as being a good thing.

And yeah, it’s a lot less silly.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I do like that Gurney is a lot more opinionated and active than he is in the book's final act, that's for sure.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is it worth paying the imax premium for dunc part dos? Theater is also further away and more annoying to get to

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is it worth paying the imax premium for dunc part dos? Theater is also further away and more annoying to get to

I'll have a very comprehensive answer for you tomorrow night.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

Depends if it’s a true IMAX showing the full 1.43 aspect ratio. If so, yes. If it’s just an IMAX branded screen that isn’t showing the full aspect ratio, not really. It’ll be bigger and louder than a typical screen but not a very different experience.

Here’s a google map with the location of all screens showing the full IMAX format. You can check if yours is on there: https://www.google.com/mymaps/viewer?mid=1NPKQZXW4ElHXw0ghyTEbuNlNWGCX-oc&hl=ko

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

I would say emphatically yes. IMO more for the sound than the visuals, but also for the visuals.

Man if not for external circumstances and this was out at the same time as Godzilla Minus One last year, the two might have done structural damage to IMAX movie houses from the subwoofers alone.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

flashy_mcflash posted:

I would say emphatically yes. IMO more for the sound than the visuals, but also for the visuals.

Man if not for external circumstances and this was out at the same time as Godzilla Minus One last year, the two might have done structural damage to IMAX movie houses from the subwoofers alone.

Same. Caught it in imax and the sound really hit extremely good. Aside from the soundtrack, the movie gets very close to some very big moving things, and feeling your entire seat rumble with the absurd bass really adds to it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I don't have that super fancy imax near me (closest is hundreds of miles away). But I remember when I watched Oppenheimer there was a regular imax and a more fancy imax at a different theater. I guess I should look up what the technology actually is.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Bugblatter posted:

Depends if it’s a true IMAX showing the full 1.43 aspect ratio. If so, yes. If it’s just an IMAX branded screen that isn’t showing the full aspect ratio, not really. It’ll be bigger and louder than a typical screen but not a very different experience.

Here’s a google map with the location of all screens showing the full IMAX format. You can check if yours is on there: https://www.google.com/mymaps/viewer?mid=1NPKQZXW4ElHXw0ghyTEbuNlNWGCX-oc&hl=ko

Can this be right? It shows only one imax theater in the Chicago area

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

Can this be right? It shows only one imax theater in the Chicago area

Yeah, it’s from IMAX’s own published list. There are surprisingly few projectors actually equipped for the full ratio worldwide. It requires either a 70mm print (only 12 exist) or the duel laser projectors (very few exist per-continent).

There are other screens branded as IMAX, but as they’re single laser projectors they will only show a 1.90 ratio image (which due to how the film was shot actually winds up having the narrowest image of the three formats. It doesn’t have the extra vertical of 1.43 or the extra horizontal of 2.35). Most of those also have 6 channel audio, instead of the 12 channel audio of the classic format screens.

For example, in my city there are five screens labeled as being IMAX. But only one screen in the entire country is actually showing the 1.43 IMAX image.

It is possible that the 6 channel audio is better than your nearby screens though. Probably not if there are some solid Atmos setups, but maybe?

Edit: Here's a visual guide to help clearly illustrate the difference between standard/1.90 imax/true 1.43 imax ratios:

And a youtube video briefly showing how the different ratios were handled:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHnMbKIxhv4

(He's wrong about the camera format... but otherwise the information is correct)

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Feb 29, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Wow that's a big difference. Alright, I need to see which format is near me.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Bugblatter posted:

drat, is there a way to tell on the imax website or the theatre websites whether a theatre has the full IMAX ratio? I'm curious whether there's a disclaimer

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Boris Galerkin posted:

If it is even 25% like uno, yes. I saw Dunc in IMAX and then a couple of weeks later normally. Pretty massive difference, frankly. Especially the Voice.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/JeffreyKirkwood/status/1763189730231861508
so true..

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
could of saved 2mil for Dune 1 and 1mil for Dune 2 by not casting Dave Bautista to do nothing. Could of gotten anyone to do nothing for two movies

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I thought he did an awful lot

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
I think I am in the camp of, the Harkonnen look silly in all white. Like we know they are wearing white paint, but the Baron soaks in some black liquid? Keeping the Harkonnen as human might make them more of a threat. They seemed too cartoony in the bad way and not threatening at all in the Dune 2.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Part 2 has the normal 15 minutes of previews before, right? Skipping out of work early to see it, and want to get the popcorn and all that lined up. I know it's a long movie, so who knows if they keep all the previews or not.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Philthy posted:

Part 2 has the normal 15 minutes of previews before, right? Skipping out of work early to see it, and want to get the popcorn and all that lined up. I know it's a long movie, so who knows if they keep all the previews or not.

Seat selection in advance was perhaps the greatest invention of mankind. I do not miss the days when a blockbuster release meant showing up with friends an hour early to claim good seats and then sit through an endless slideshow, then commercials, then previews, etc.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Come to Boston where the only two proper IMAX screens do not allow for reserved seats and only have showings on the weekends

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I saw this tuesday night, it's easily a better movie than the first. More spectacular and confident, and the characters and intrigue felt a bit meatier too.

My quibbles are mostly that the Emperor falling right into Paul's trap doesn't feel very earned, and Stilgar lays it on a bit thick with his faith in Paul, including a part which is straight out of Life of Brian.

No Luck Needed posted:

I think I am in the camp of, the Harkonnen look silly in all white. Like we know they are wearing white paint, but the Baron soaks in some black liquid? Keeping the Harkonnen as human might make them more of a threat. They seemed too cartoony in the bad way and not threatening at all in the Dune 2.

I think DUNC 2 did an okay job with them. They're classic villains increasingly overwhelmed by forces beyond their control. I must say though that I laughed seeing Feyd does the "lick my blade to show how craaazy I am" bit but it fits the exaggerated tone of the movie. OTOH I agree that Batista was given little to do, but so was Walken. It's an ensemble movie with too large a cast to give every actor their chance to shine.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Torn between going to see it in the tiny local cinema on Saturday or waiting until the second half of march and hoping it's still in IMAX

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I want to see a fully spliced Dune movie in the theater. Where the end and beginning are seamless transitions. Just a 5- 6 hour long movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i'm not seeing it in imax but i am seeing it in 70mm which should be pretty lit

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

distortion park posted:

Torn between going to see it in the tiny local cinema on Saturday or waiting until the second half of march and hoping it's still in IMAX

I'm not taking any chances. from what I can see the closest theater running the 70 mm print is only scheduled for next week and I am not cursed with prescience enough to be able to confidently wait for the site to update

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Yeah if it's between seeing it in a lovely cinema early or waiting I'd go early and just sit real close

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Philthy posted:

Depends on the cinema but I wouldn't risk it, especially for a midnight showing. I saw Part 1 on opening weekend on a proper (commercial) IMAX screen and they only had 10 minutes of trailers - by the time some people were arriving, they were already on Arrakis.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
2 hours to go!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

FWIW most movies I've been to have had 15 minutes of trailers and another 15 of normal commercials. My IMAX screening only had the trailers.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

YaketySass posted:

My quibbles are mostly that the Emperor falling right into Paul's trap doesn't feel very earned

This was my big problem with the third act. I saw it two days ago and I'm still sure I must have missed something because it was baffling how ALL the bad guys just voluntarily set themselves up for such an obvious trap in the middle of an open area. And was it necessary for all of them to be there? You'd think they leave some important people behind just in case it was a set up so they could have some back up. It can't be explained just by "yeah well they were blinded by their overconfidence and arrogance" because with such a lovely strategic mindset how could they have ever gotten so big in the first place?
I hope someone can explain this to me because I really believe I missed some important plot point/dialogue that made it clearer and it's not the film's fault. Or if someone can tell me how it happened in the book because I haven't read it and I'm genuinely interested. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

not trolled not crying posted:

I hope someone can explain this to me because I really believe I missed some important plot point/dialogue that made it clearer and it's not the film's fault.

In the books, Rabban's death is a 1-sentence report. I always saw that as a miss from Herbert. The Baron is killed by Alia because he didn't have time to fully grasp that she's a fully sentient adult in a toddler's body. I'm ok with the first retcon because it was sorely missing in the book but the second one is a big departure from the plot.