Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Invalid Validation posted:

Anybody seriously making content for ASoIaF at this point is a lunatic.

Kylaer posted:

And that's why GRRM stopped a decade ago :hmmyes:

:lol:

:hmbol: even

aSoIaf: Anyone making content for aSoIaF is a lunitic, and that's why GRRM stopped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Ghod loving drat. Nice.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
Preston has a lot going on, but his big Thing is that Game of Thrones is a sci-fi world, or uses sci-fi tropes. He's read a LOT of GRRM's other works, and it has things like 'a telepathic network of trees' and a lot of genetics and time travel type stories. He also thinks dragon-riding is genetic and that the Maesters have been colluding for centuries to keep people with the most extreme version of the dragonriding gene, which makes dragon eggs hatch successfully around them, off the throne, (All the Rhaen-women and their husbands and sons, maneuvering to get Viserys on the throne because his dragon died, so he wouldn't get another one, etc) opposed by people like Daemon, who are trying to concentrate these genes.

A lot of it's pretty out there, but it's rarely poorly reasoned or sourced, I like his videos. The few chapters I read of his fanfic seemed good, especially the prologue, but you have to be on board with things like Quentyn being alive, it hits on his theories pretty hard.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

von Metternich posted:

Preston has a lot going on, but his big Thing is that Game of Thrones is a sci-fi world, or uses sci-fi tropes. He's read a LOT of GRRM's other works, and it has things like 'a telepathic network of trees' and a lot of genetics and time travel type stories. He also thinks dragon-riding is genetic and that the Maesters have been colluding for centuries to keep people with the most extreme version of the dragonriding gene, which makes dragon eggs hatch successfully around them, off the throne, (All the Rhaen-women and their husbands and sons, maneuvering to get Viserys on the throne because his dragon died, so he wouldn't get another one, etc) opposed by people like Daemon, who are trying to concentrate these genes.

A lot of it's pretty out there, but it's rarely poorly reasoned or sourced, I like his videos. The few chapters I read of his fanfic seemed good, especially the prologue, but you have to be on board with things like Quentyn being alive, it hits on his theories pretty hard.

So maesters are anti-benegesserit? Do they use their glistening members to influence people?

Perhaps he'll add a part in WoW where Jon watches Dany scale The Wall, and he ejaculates when she summits.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 24, 2024

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
George says that maternal mortality is lower in Westeros than in real medieval societies thanks to the work of the Maesters.

And yet, maternal mortality rates among Westeros noblewomen are eyewatering to the extent that it would threaten the survival of the human race.

Either the Maesters aren’t doing their ostensible job, or George is a bad writer.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Platystemon posted:

or George is a bad writer.

:thunk:

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Platystemon posted:

George says that maternal mortality is lower in Westeros than in real medieval societies thanks to the work of the Maesters.

And yet, maternal mortality rates among Westeros noblewomen are eyewatering to the extent that it would threaten the survival of the human race.

That's mostly down to them getting stabbed though.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
Book aint out yet? see you in another decade (not sure when i checked in last)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Your last checkin was LOCKDOWN week, 2020.

Destro posted:

Wild Cards fan just doing my yearly check in. Guys the book still isn't out yet

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Man, this thread in 2020 still had hope and some belief in George lol

GodFish posted:

The coronavirus is the first thing that's made me think gurm might actually finish this book before he or I die

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Either the Maesters aren’t doing their ostensible job, or George is a bad writer.

Since apparently the maesters killed all the dragons and are part of a creepy larger conspiracy, maybe they are killing westerosi mothers....on PURPOSE.

GURM planned it all out from the start, folks. Literary genius. Killing Riverlanders so they can be replaced with dothraki immigrants!

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

At the time I think GRRM’s excuse was he could I only write at home, but he kept going to events and had no time to be home and write, so I can at least follow the logic there.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
I read Fevre Dream.

The story moves at a very decent speed!

There’s a timeskip!

An ending! An epilogue even!

Crazy to think it’s the same guy.

Fun vampire book, i recommend it

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kylaer posted:

And that's why GRRM stopped a decade ago :hmmyes:

I wish this quote and reply could be the thread title somehow.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Evil Fluffy posted:

I wish this quote and reply could be the thread title somehow.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Mr. Nemo posted:

I read Fevre Dream.

This was the first GRRM book I read, way back in the 90s'. It is pretty drat good, actually, and Victorian vampires on a steamboat in the deep South is a really fun premise! (I think the ending is a wee bit weak, but at least there is one!) There's a nice sense of claustrophobic, creeping terror throughout too, it was a solid novel overall, would recommend if you like vampires.

I was gifted a free audiobook of Harry Lloyd (who played Viserys in the show) reading the 3 Dunk and Egg short stories, would also recommend that. Not normally a fan of audiobooks, but Harry Lloyd did a lovely job.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Unironically, this is GRRM's wikipedia page. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_R._R._Martin#Bibliography

Like lmao, you know who could actually contribute to that list?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The thing that separates GRRM from true hacks like Rothfuss is he actually has completed a fair amount of satisfying books. Just bit off more than he could chew with Asoiaf

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Ccs posted:

The thing that separates GRRM from true hacks like Rothfuss is he actually has completed a fair amount of satisfying books. Just bit off more than he could chew with Asoiaf

If we had not at one point loved him, we would have no reason to hate him.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kylaer posted:

This really is the perfect way to sum things up. It certainly explains my feelings on him, hoping as I was for the conclusion to this series I loved and learning the ultimate fate of these characters I cared about.

He took that away. And didn't just take it away by saying "I'm not writing anymore." Nope, instead he had to keep lying about it for over a decade and counting.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
They say that art is that which provokes an emotional response.

George is a great artist.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I really don't hate GRRM, and I don't care about ASOIAF any more either, moved on from that years ago. But I won't move on from this thread until GRRM is dead, a crescendo of shitposting takes place, and it can at last be closed.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

You will be here with the rest of us reading whatever scraps get published, don't fool yourself

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Kylaer posted:

I am nearing the end of AGoT on my current rererereread, and at times I stop and consider that it is so well written and detailed. Then I think of the absolute fucker. Are we absolutely certain that this pear shaped man wrote the first few books?

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Kylaer posted:

Kylaer posted:

I really don't hate GRRM, and I don't care about ASOIAF any more either, moved on from that years ago. But I won't move on from this thread until GRRM is dead, a crescendo of shitposting takes place, and it can at last be closed.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

“I love how much undigested corn is in this poo poo I’m eating.”

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

This is the best writing I’ve ever read and I’ve read upwards of 10 warhammer novels

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

To be fair, my exposure before ASOIAF was more or less limited to RA Salvatore novels. And I haven’t added much to my resume since then.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This is amazing work. As a student of history I can say that I’ve read hundreds of books like this, and have shown little to no emotion. The books were just windows to a past I’ve never lived in, people who I never knew or would ever know. But this book made me stop and evaluate. Putting dragons in made me actually look at what is really happening. Putting something that everyone is familiar with in a situation that no one knows, and to make people feel those emotions well, that takes amazing talent. Thank you.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’ve read a lot of fantasy and describing mundane poo poo in flowery language is half the word padding the genre gets. It’s a staple.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Mr. Nemo posted:

You will be here with the rest of us reading whatever scraps get published, don't fool yourself

I haven't read the third hedge knight short story, or any of the World Of stuff :angel:

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Mr. Nemo posted:

Unless people go "WOW THIS MADE IT ALL WORTH IT" I'm going to read a synopsis instead

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Platystemon posted:

This is amazing work. As a student of history I can say that I’ve read hundreds of books like this, and have shown little to no emotion. The books were just windows to a past I’ve never lived in, people who I never knew or would ever know. But this book made me stop and evaluate. Putting dragons in made me actually look at what is really happening. Putting something that everyone is familiar with in a situation that no one knows, and to make people feel those emotions well, that takes amazing talent. Thank you.

I want you to know I appreciate this reference.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

FWIW, I actually do believe at some point we'll get book 6. However long it takes. But, if book 6 is actually completed by GRRM and he sticks to his guns on his "no alternate authors to finish the story/it dies with me" then book 7 will never ever happen. But i'll read book 6 if/when it comes out and I'll continue to enjoy the books as much as I can.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Well, they're right about how much book he doesn't have...

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Honestly, five years ago I'd totally have believed that he has a bunch of chapters that are just not yet ready to be published. But at this point I think he has nothing. A few of them would have to be in a state where he can at least talk about them or publish them as a preview. He hasn't written a word of ASOIAF since Dance.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

pidan posted:

Honestly, five years ago I'd totally have believed that he has a bunch of chapters that are just not yet ready to be published. But at this point I think he has nothing. A few of them would have to be in a state where he can at least talk about them or publish them as a preview. He hasn't written a word of ASOIAF since Dance.

He had a bunch of "not ready to publish" chapters. Then he released them in 2011 :george:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

90% of writing is the actual writing. Like, that's the hard part.