Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Failson posted:

Even these old touchscreens are preferable to current interfaces just because the elements didn't move around.

Sub-menus are the enemy. Swiping is the enemy.

I'm at the age I don't care that the world is burning down. What I do care about is what is presented will work and obey what I'm asking.

Suprise...the new poo poo doesn't operate that way. It can go gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Colostomy Bag posted:

I'm at the age I don't care that the world is burning down. What I do care about is what is presented will work and obey what I'm asking.

Suprise...the new poo poo doesn't operate that way. It can go gently caress off.

thank you for reminding me about the other infuriating thing about that MB loaner

On the door there's what look to be switches laid out to represent the seat; so the seat, back, headrest, etc

Intuitive right? Well it would if they were rocker switches. Instead they're some kind of capacitive button poo poo that you touch and the seat part moves, except when it doesn't with no indication of why it isn't.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
My parents bought a home stereo (receiver/amp) in the early 80's that has a capacitive slider strip for the volume and it was so cool as an idea but completely trash from brand new, and you're not even being jostled around/trying to look at the road while trying to use it like in vehicles.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Number_6 posted:

Best interface:

Cadillac Allante

Honorable mentions to those Buick Reattas with early digital touchscreens, and the '80s Subaru XT.

Makes driving a car feel like operating an Apollo capsule.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
You may not like it but this is peak interior design

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Oh, I like it

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

mobby_6kl posted:

I'll be in my bunk

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Vector W8 twin turbo?

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Olympic Mathlete posted:

OK so question for the thread, what's the most ergonomically 'right' interior you've been in?

Probably a tie between the Honda S2000:

And an early Citroen CX Pallas:

While the Honda was a superb 'cockpit' and a great man/machine interface, I think for sheer ease and comfort the Citroen beats it (but then I would say that). Once you fathomed the odd layout and realised where everything actually was, it was amazingly logical and you could drive 100s of miles without taking a hand off the wheel - just extending a finger to flick a switch on the 'satellites'.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I forget which French car, but I appreciated the one that put the gear shifter (?) stalk at 2 o’clock on the steering column to make one-handed driving easier.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

The "cruise" panel refers to the missiles.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Full Collapse posted:

I forget which French car, but I appreciated the one that put the gear shifter (?) stalk at 2 o’clock on the steering column to make one-handed driving easier.

The CX's predecessor, the DS:

It's an electromechanical selector, so has very little weight to it. The true French way to drive one is to steer with your right hand at the 2 o'clock position while the left hand holds a Gauloises cigarette out the window, just extending the fingers of the right hand to flick the lever between gears as needed.

It's also the starter switch, so it's impossible to start the car in gear since 'Start' is a position off Neutral.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

PainterofCrap posted:

I have a post somewhere in archives, where I adapted a JVC removable-face CD unit to work in my Pontiac without cutting the dash by remoting the control head with an IDE cable.

Mostly because it's a 1994 radio, so it's all tactile.

That's fantastic. Nice match on the woodgrain. What was supposed to go in the hole I presume is behind the radio?

Who was videoing this and why? I mean, comedy in hindsight, but was that what they were expecting?

Hey, remember that pic that was posted a while back about the locking diff feature coming soon? Not here yet!

e: f,b

Colostomy Bag posted:

:corsair::respek::corsair:

BalloonFish posted:

It's also the starter switch, so it's impossible to start the car in gear since 'Start' is a position off Neutral.

That's really a neat idea.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

jesus christ that fiskar

the fuckin backup cam only works sometimes? how is that even possible?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Darchangel posted:

Who was videoing this and why? I mean, comedy in hindsight, but was that what they were expecting?

It's a crop/pan from a doorbell camera or similar.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Darchangel posted:

That's fantastic. Nice match on the woodgrain. What was supposed to go in the hole I presume is behind the radio?

If you look at the first photo, showing the original radio case, you can see the display: it has a horizontal bar bisecting the opening, that would have to be cut out (and often was) in order to install aftermarket radios. So it's fairly rare to find the opening unmolested / uncut. The frequency display was above the bar, and the station preset buttons were below.

Darchangel posted:

I have come close to doing this. He parked on a nearly-level surface & threw it into Park. He did not set the e-brake. Then, he crawled under & disconnected the driveshaft from the transmission, thereby defeating the purpose of the parking sprag...which is located in the transmission to prevent the driveshaft from spinning.

My actual d'oh moment was putting the front end of my sisters '02 4Runner up on ramps, then jacking up the rear axle assembly to install stands. As soon as the wheels unstuck, the truck rolled right back off down the ramps.

Fortunately, it took its sweet time working off the ramps, plenty enough for me to walk away & watch the truck roll backwards off the ramps, riding my trolley jack to a gentle stop.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 7, 2024

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

opengl posted:

It's a crop/pan from a doorbell camera or similar.

Ah, that makes sense.

PainterofCrap posted:

If you look at the first photo, showing the original radio case, you can see the display: it has a horizontal bar bisecting the opening, that would have to be cut out (and often was) in order to install aftermarket radios. So it's fairly rare to find the opening unmolested / uncut. The frequency display was above the bar, and the station preset buttons were below.

D’oh! What I took for the original radio still installed is actually the HVAC controls that share a similar form factor.

quote:

I have come close to doing this. He parked on a nearly-level surface & threw it into Park. He did not set the e-brake. Then, he crawled under & disconnected the driveshaft from the transmission, thereby defeating the purpose of the parking sprag...which is located in the transmission to prevent the driveshaft from spinning.

My actual d'oh moment was putting the front end of my sisters '02 4Runner up on ramps, then jacking up the rear axle assembly to install stands. As soon as the wheels unstuck, the truck rolled right back off down the ramps.

Fortunately, it took its sweet time working off the ramps, plenty enough for me to walk away & watch the truck roll backwards off the raps riding my trolley jack to a gentle stop.

Oh, I understand what happened (don’t ask how I know…). I was just wondering why it was being videoed, which was answered above.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

yeah when two ton plus steel rolling stock is involved you dont have to be stupid to die, just forgetful

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
when i was like 4yo, my dad had me sitting in his Nova while it was on ramps and he was underneath doing an oil change. i for some reason decide to shift it out of park and it starts rolling back off the ramps. my dad seeing it happen, shimmied as fast as he could towards the front and it drat near scalped him with the bumper as it rolled off. i was too young to remember it but i've been told the story multiple times over the years by my old man

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Cactus Ghost posted:

jesus christ that fiskar

the fuckin backup cam only works sometimes? how is that even possible?

Just lmao my hack job Chinese touchscreen headunit with poorly crimped connectors somewhere has always worked since I installed it. Doing worse than a stoned idiot with the wrong connectors on a weekend.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

mobby_6kl posted:

Three speed auto...probably a TH400 but that slaps.

As for the truck rolling down the driveway...been there done that. My fat rear end never moved as fast, and the neighbor of all times parked his car right in the path that day.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Don’t you guys use wheel chocks when working on your car?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Didn't then, do now lol.

I can't remember the exact circumstance on how my situation happened...been drat near 25 years ago.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

mobby_6kl posted:

I've just realised on the right hand side of the screen those are the fuses. Also on the bottom of the screen there seem to be menu pages, I wonder how you toggle through them, surely it wasn't touch? Anyway, definitely one of the cooler interiors.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I'm probably talking out of my rear end but now with your fuses comment I'm recalling that was an intentional design decision given the history and involvement with aviation.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I've just realised on the right hand side of the screen those are the fuses. Also on the bottom of the screen there seem to be menu pages, I wonder how you toggle through them, surely it wasn't touch? Anyway, definitely one of the cooler interiors.

There's a Doug DeMuro video that goes through every nook and cranny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WEhsS9ybwk

Also that rolling truck video, now I've got the "no cock like horse cock" song stuck in my head lol

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Scratch Monkey posted:

Yup, especially if I'm going to lift the car and put it in jackstands or need to remove a driveline component

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
To work on? poo poo, my parking brake cable broke years ago, so I chock my wheels every time I park.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Wheel chocks? Oh you mean a cement brick.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm a giant idiot but the car goes into gear, handbreak applied, and wheels chocks any time I get under it.

Getting crushed like a bug for no reason isn't a risk I like taking.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It's definitely very plane-inspired especially if you check the Doug video (yeah I know). It's basically an MFD with buttons in a convenient place which IMO makes a lot more sense than having them right around the display

IMO it'd be pretty cool in a modern car too. You really only need a few features to be accessible during driving. Everything else can be in the touchscreen once the car is stopped.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

mobby_6kl posted:

IMO it'd be pretty cool in a modern car too. You really only need a few features to be accessible during driving. Everything else can be in the touchscreen once the car is stopped.

My car is so weird about this. It's happy for me to set the clock while I'm cruising down the highway, but god forbid I switch from miles to kilometers.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Cage posted:

Wheel chocks? Oh you mean a cement brick.

On a jobsite a few years back I came across a set of wheel chocks sized for the big offroad articulated forklifts/telehandlers/whatever you call them in your region, just lying there on the side of the road.

i obviously couldn't let that hazard just sit there, so into my truck they went. In the years since they've seen regular use.

They are hilarious oversized for typical vehicles but that sucker won't go anywhere. :v:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Colostomy Bag posted:

Three speed auto...probably a TH400 but that slaps.

As for the truck rolling down the driveway...been there done that. My fat rear end never moved as fast, and the neighbor of all times parked his car right in the path that day.

If that is indeed the Vector W8, then I looked it up last night, it was the TH425 (transaxle version I guess) from the various large GM front drivers.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i had a poster of the vector when i was a kid. always have loved the peak awesome fighter jet vibe of that car

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Large Testicles posted:

when i was like 4yo, my dad had me sitting in his Nova while it was on ramps and he was underneath doing an oil change. i for some reason decide to shift it out of park and it starts rolling back off the ramps. my dad seeing it happen, shimmied as fast as he could towards the front and it drat near scalped him with the bumper as it rolled off. i was too young to remember it but i've been told the story multiple times over the years by my old man

Love how some older cars not only didn't need the brake applied to shift out of park, but didn't even need the column unlocked, pre-'70 GM included.
Dodge, too. I reportedly rolled my mom's ex-cop '63 Polara out of the driveway into the street back in the day doing the same thing.

Scratch Monkey posted:

I do now, ever since my Cutlass shifted while I was changing the rear coil springs and it trapped my hand between the chassis and axle.

Data Graham posted:

There's a Doug DeMuro video that goes through every nook and cranny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WEhsS9ybwk

Also that rolling truck video, now I've got the "no cock like horse cock" song stuck in my head lol

God drat that car still looks so good. I got to see several in person at a "new car" car show here in Dallas when Vector was still a going concern.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Darchangel posted:

God drat that car still looks so good. I got to see several in person at a "new car" car show here in Dallas when Vector was still a going concern.

It's the custom made up-sized wheels. Like 15 -> 18 or something (I think DM mentions it in the vid). Makes a MASSIVE difference IMO

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

lmao the Pontiac Aztek tent looked about this good

https://twitter.com/elaifresh/status/1765815627032219711?t=ihtNMtnzeYIjm2RZRY4k8g&s=19

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
From the latest JRI:

I also have concerns about the size of my "Raptor" when I pull up next to another guy.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

amenenema posted:

It's the custom made up-sized wheels. Like 15 -> 18 or something (I think DM mentions it in the vid). Makes a MASSIVE difference IMO

They looked good with the original wheels (which looked the same, just smaller.)
The W2 was also bad-rear end, and you can see the clear evolution to the W8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

lmao