Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Lib and let die posted:

Now that I'm not renting a cloud PC I'm gonna give Sunbreak another shot - outside of the matchmaking fix what other mods do you all recommend?

e: jesus, there is a staggering quantity of nude mods on nexus

So nexus hasn't changed at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lib and let die posted:

Now that I'm not renting a cloud PC I'm gonna give Sunbreak another shot - outside of the matchmaking fix what other mods do you all recommend?

e: jesus, there is a staggering quantity of nude mods on nexus

You can hide adult content thankfully. But yeah Capcom game and mods go insanely horny

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Yeah but where's the mod to hang dong????? I wanna thundergun this poo poo!!!

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

One thing to note is there are two special assignment versions of Alatreon, both of which you can end up getting at the same time. Blazing Black Twilight is the full strength version, which is very difficult. Dawn's Triumph is the easier version that's actually an intro quest you have to finish to unlock Fatalis.

The scaling for dawn's triumph is actually kind of hilarious because that version of alatreon has 3K less hp than a standard MR great jagras

Char
Jan 5, 2013

v1ld posted:

Normal is what I was suggesting, but only if you like the full burst style.

I ended up doing the final stretch (BV Vaal, Namielle, Ruiner Nergigante, Shara) with the Viper Tobi GL, the cheapest Long 6 you can craft early on.
I should craft the Vaal GL now, and 3 pieces of Zorah armor (which sucks, it has zero slots but it gives me Artillery 5).

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Wellwinds posted:

The scaling for dawn's triumph is actually kind of hilarious because that version of alatreon has 3K less hp than a standard MR great jagras

reminds me of mhgu having shagaru magala as the capstone fight for low rank and your first high rank fight is the fart monkey

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

reminds me of mhgu having shagaru magala as the capstone fight for low rank and your first high rank fight is the fart monkey

Fart monkey is tougher. Sounds fair to me.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wellwinds posted:

Yeah I remember running it solo after failing a bunch of attempts at Blazing Black Twilight and when he died I was like "oh that was quick". There is a bit of a catch in that he has one guaranteed Escaton Judgement no matter what; you can't just out-DPS it to 0-cycle him. He'll lock at 18% HP until he uses it, so while he barely has any HP in theory, in practice you will probably end up doing more damage to him than you "need" to and a chunk of that damage just won't count.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Now that I have some better endgame gear I gave Raging Brachy another try, and downed it on my first attempt!

Angry Ape, your days are numbered.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

He's not angry, he's furious!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
So I've got like 500 hours in World now and I still cannot figure out what actually triggers a mounted finisher. Sometimes I get it really quickly, other times I'm stabbing it for ages and it falls over on its own before the prompt ever comes up.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I am completely guessing here but I think it has something to do with the monster's exhaustion status based on vibes and animations.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

One of the old threads has a long post by Attack Bacon that explains the mechanic in detail based on their own testing. Good luck finding it though.

JackGeneric
Apr 23, 2008

[Witty observation]

v1ld posted:

One of the old threads has a long post by Attack Bacon that explains the mechanic in detail based on their own testing. Good luck finding it though.

Found it, thanks for remembering the username.

AttackBacon posted:

I've been messing around with a theory I've had for a while and I think I'm confident enough in it being true to make a big infopost about it. Let's talk mounting mechanics.

I'm sure most folks have noticed how mounting seems weird and inconsistent. Getting the mount is no problem, those mechanics are well known and work consistently. The trouble arises once you're rodeoing that sumbitch. Sometimes you'll get a finisher right away, sometimes it'll take forever and finally you'll get one, sometimes you won't get one at all and the monster will just fall over, seemingly of its own accord. Well, I have an explanation, which is born out by all the testing I've done so far. From what I can tell, there are two things going on when you mount the monster: Part threshold and Monster threshold (names are just bullshit I made up). Part threshold builds via attacks to whichever part of the monster you are riding/hitting at that time, whereas monster threshold just builds via any damage the monster takes while mounted. If you max out the part threshold, you get a finisher. If you max out the monster threshold, the monster just falls over. From what I can tell, the white circle around your map tracks the monster threshold.

So what does that all mean, in practice? Well basically, in order to get a finisher as fast as possible, you want to maximize the mount damage to a single part of the monster. If you hop around all willy-nilly, you aren't going to be maxing out any particular part threshold and have a good chance of just knocking the monster over before you can get a finisher. This is relevant because a trick I'm sure most people picked up pretty quickly is hopping to another part of the monster when it tries to shake you off and continuing to attack. However, it turns out this is actually counterproductive because all you are doing is starting over on a new part threshold, while the monster threshold is still building. What you should do instead is go back to bracing when it's simply a shake and only moving when the monster is ramming terrain (which will automatically knock you off). In the latter case, you also want to jump back to where you were before after the monster does its move. Once I started bracing again, I got finishers a LOT more consistently.

There are some other factors at work however. Firstly, it seems like any damage the monster takes (from allies, palicoes, or even other monsters) while you are mounted contributes to the monster threshold. This is pretty noticeable in good 4-man groups where everyone keeps attacking after a mount. Usually the monster will just fall over all by itself in pretty short order, way before you could get a finisher normally. What is a lot harder to tell is if damage to specific parts from other sources (like allies etc) contributes to part threshold. That I haven't been able to prove one way or another, you'd probably need to get some buddies in with bowguns or something and test it specifically. It also seems like the thresholds are increased for multiplayer hunts, which would be logical. Another issue is that the monster is still susceptible to CC effects, flinches, and staggers, most of which will interrupt the mount (the exceptions that I've noticed being shock traps, the vine traps from fallen trees, and I think paralyze effects). Since palicoes do a surprising amount of damage (not to mention a lot of their gadgets causing flinches), it's very possible for them to interrupt mounts all by themselves.

One final thing. I would often see the prompts to pick up slinger ammo while mounted and so in the course of all this I decided to do some testing. It turns out that most slinger ammo does a BOATLOAD of mounting damage when you are rodeoing a monster. Since you can shoot your slinger while mounted and it shoots it directly into whatever part you are on, it turns out that the stronger slinger ammo is AMAZING at getting you mount finishers quickly. In particular, Scatternuts and Crystalburst will both stagger the monster and build a LOT of threshold, so much so that in solo hunts just one shot will often instantly get you a finisher. This is obviously super useful since it takes getting a mount from a DPS loss when solo to a huge gain, since you cut your riding time down by like 75% or more. The ammo to keep an eye out for is the aforementioned Scatternuts and Crystalburst as well as the monster-dropped Bomb Pods, Thorn Pods, and to a lesser extent, Pierce Pods. These all seem to do huge amounts of threshold damage and also will all stagger the monster, interrupting whatever it is doing (such as trying to knock you off). They make mounting WAY faster and more reliable. The other ammos don't seem to have nearly as much of an effect, they still do damage to the thresholds but I don't feel like they're noticeably faster than simply knifing away and they don't give you the useful stagger/flinch.

Putting it all together, what I've been doing is grabbing some Scatternuts or Crystalburst immediately upon starting a quest (as long as it's relatively convenient to do so). Then when I get the mount, I'll jump to the head and instantly shoot the monster in the face with my slinger. Generally that gets me the finisher then and there and I can proceed with the hunt, very occasionally (only happened twice in over two dozen hunts) it'll take two shots on that first mount. Later, if I happen to get a second mount, I'll either use the rest of my ammo, or some Bomb Pods or Thorn Pods that I've picked up. Thorn Pods are particularly cool because you can shoot both of them into the head and then you'll blow them up with your finisher immediately after, doing a grip of damage and KO.

TLDR: Focus your attacks on one part when mounted to get a finisher faster. Use slinger ammo that causes a flinch (Scatternuts, Crystalburst, Bomb Pods, Thorn Pods) to stagger the monster and get a finisher really fast.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
The more French you are/speak, the easier it is to mount a monster

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Je Suis Monte

ReverseStratum
Jan 20, 2019

Sideshow.
Mounting never needed to be more elaborate than it was in Generations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

https://twitter.com/monsterhunter/status/1767543814711820421

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

JackGeneric posted:

Found it, thanks for remembering the username.

Thanks for finding it! I didn't remember the details.

I've seen the double finisher effect mentioned in the posts below that post recently - get a finisher but continue to ride and then get another that then gives you the down a little while later. Can't remember seeing it before.

Unlike the speculation in that thread about it being an mp artifact that causes double finishers, I got it playing pure solo in my own, private session.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

cowards won't tell me what the least popular monster is

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lagiacrus is surprising. Also at first I thought that said Nargacuga and was pumped, but hell Nerg is cool too.

Will they ever release the complete results?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

They're already up, and were almost as soon as the stream was done.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Rathalos falling just outside the top 20 is very funny to me but also feels like the absolutely correct place for him to be. It wouldn't be fair to call him a "bad" monster just because he's a bit overexposed as the series mascot, but he is also a very mid monster for his all his prominence in the promotional material.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
Khezu all the way down at 32 is a crime

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Actually Rathalos is bad and I hope they keep dropping in rankings if they do this again :colbert:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I'm glad Ahtal-Ka is at #34, I know final boss bias seems to be real here but a bug being that high up seems like good news for me!

On the flip side, the Desert Seltas is tied for absolute bottom, along with Steel Uragaan.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I am disappointed at Glavenus' placement, he's one of my favorites to actually fight and come on, dinosaur with a sword for a tail. I am also surprised at how low Deviljho placed, I wouldn't put him as my #1 but I would have expected him to be in the top 20 at least.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Steel Uragaan in dead last is fitting, OG Plessy in top 100 is definitely due to oversized voting hitboxes.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Surprised Velkhana so high. And Palzeno being above the original.

Anyway, I think I need to try a 3rd gen game at some point. Lagia is mostly just ok in GU but I don’t think I got the real experience with it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I suspect it's far too late for them to be making fundamental design decisions for Wilds at this point but I wonder if Lagia scoring so high is going to be read as an indicator that people want to see underwater combat make a return.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Feel like Beotodus got robbed by being such a pushover. I really liked them as an intro to the IB aesthetic.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I suspect it's far too late for them to be making fundamental design decisions for Wilds at this point but I wonder if Lagia scoring so high is going to be read as an indicator that people want to see underwater combat make a return.

I would hope they like Lagiacrus and not underwater combat. That, along with random decos, should never ever come back.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
The B-52 Bomber got 52nd place. All is right.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Neo_Crimson posted:

I would hope they like Lagiacrus and not underwater combat. That, along with random decos, should never ever come back.

Honestly I'm fine with random decos, the problem is exclusively random decos. It's nice to passively accumulate a bunch of low tier decos so you don't have to go out of your way to craft a bunch of poo poo when you want to try out a new build because you probably already have what you need. It's just the lack of being able to craft them at all makes it annoying when you want something specific and haven't randomly found it yet.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I don't think anyone wants underwater combat, they just like Lagi. Other underwater monsters like Ceadeus, Gobul and Plesioth didn't rank particularly high.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Cephadrome at #184 is just wrong - it's ahead of a ton of actually decent fights. Velocidrome #154 is first drome in the list, also way too high.

I didn't do the rankings. Did you just pick one or your top 10 or similar? Surprised at how low some of the new monsters in World are, given it's their biggest seller by a long way and brought in a ton of new players.

E: Bad moment: missing Velkana with the Dragonrazer in the Defense of Seliana. Thought I'd have to redo the fight but it turns out you have all the time to reload and try again.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Steel Uragaan last is pretty good but it should have been crystalbeard imo

Oh yeah or cephadrome

My boy nibelsnarf in at 129. Edging out apex Zinogre. Decent showing.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

v1ld posted:

I didn't do the rankings. Did you just pick one or your top 10 or similar? Surprised at how low some of the new monsters in World are, given it's their biggest seller by a long way and brought in a ton of new players.

You had 1 one vote and that's all.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Surprised Velkhana so high. And Palzeno being above the original.

Anyway, I think I need to try a 3rd gen game at some point. Lagia is mostly just ok in GU but I don’t think I got the real experience with it.

Can I interest you in Portable 3rd, my personal favourite gen 3 game and Top Dog Zinogre's debut????

3u is the way to do underwater though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/NCHproductions/status/1767544113837326690