Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Great Jagras at #125. Love my stupid, overgrown iguana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

brachy only got 17th? i'd better do a wellness check on guildmarm

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
https://twitter.com/QuirklessStoner/status/1767639824956072318?s=19

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I suspect it's far too late for them to be making fundamental design decisions for Wilds at this point but I wonder if Lagia scoring so high is going to be read as an indicator that people want to see underwater combat make a return.

new to monster hunter wilds: dry lagia (like dry bowser)

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

wet rajang

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Huh, I'm surprised Boltreaver Astalos scored so much higher than base Astalos.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Ojetor posted:

I don't think anyone wants underwater combat, they just like Lagi. Other underwater monsters like Ceadeus, Gobul and Plesioth didn't rank particularly high.

I actually enjoyed it tbh, I have fond memories of also being accused of hacking because I played offline a ton and the first lobby I joined after completing all of the offline stuff and hitting the wall to need the online portion to make my gear better lol. Like, my dudes, I've been playing monhun games for years none of this armor is even special in comparison yet. The mind remembers the old lessons, offline is piss easy.

Fishing for Gobul was really cool, RIP you glorious swamp fish.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ojetor posted:

I don't think anyone wants underwater combat, they just like Lagi. Other underwater monsters like Ceadeus, Gobul and Plesioth didn't rank particularly high.

underwater combat could be good :colbert: maybe

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Zore posted:

Huh, I'm surprised Boltreaver Astalos scored so much higher than base Astalos.

Boltreaver is a lot more popular than base Astalos among the Gen/GU crowd, in part because he starts the fight already charged and also his moveset is insane. Also his gear looks sick.

I personally dislike his fight (that loving lightsaber across the room), but I get why for a lot of people he's The Astalos.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
I dont think they bring back underwater combat in full. But they should at least let us swim again

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

I dont think they bring back underwater combat in full. But they should at least let us swim again

You can frolic in the Seliana gathering hub hotsprings

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Lemme clown on ceadeus again tbh

E: just remembered how tigrex farmed me relentlessly in mhf2, good times brought about by being bad at the game

PathAsc fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 13, 2024

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
jesus christ World Rajang MOVES, I had no idea what I was in for after Rise.

JackGeneric
Apr 23, 2008

[Witty observation]

Fifteen of Many posted:

jesus christ World Rajang MOVES, I had no idea what I was in for after Rise.

I went back to World recently, and it's funny how Velkhana feels so much slower and Rajang feels so much faster than their Rise versions. I guess title update monsters get a speed boost.

JackGeneric fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 13, 2024

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Your Computer posted:

no

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
If I’m just roaming around the guided lands killing whatever is that a net bad way to do it? I know zone level or delevel but wasn’t sure if it comes out okay just fighting what comes.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Fifteen of Many posted:

If I’m just roaming around the guided lands killing whatever is that a net bad way to do it? I know zone level or delevel but wasn’t sure if it comes out okay just fighting what comes.

Yeah, that should be fine. There's I think a (mostly) hard cap on total level but it'll be a while before you hit it, and if you want anything specific from a specific max Level 7 zone you can drop into someone else's Guiding Lands. I think the way it works out practically is you can get every region to level 5 or so, and a handful to 7? But things mostly work out if you just keep hunting whatever.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I really should be using smoke bombs a lot more in quests like AT Luna when AT Teo jumps in or their double non-AT special quest. Even the Pink/Azure double Rath arena quest would be much simpler solo with smoke bombs.

Just never occurs to me until after these quests. Do any of you have loadouts with them in it?

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Your Computer posted:

It wasnt good then and it wouldnt be good now.

Redesign the fight to be like Plesioth maybe?

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
They could make underwater combat passable. Give the hunter much more movement than tri. With like a bunch of gimmicks and stuff.

Its just not worth the effort to design two movesets for all weapons and underwater monsters. All for a combat system that would feel worse than normal combat

PsyClops
Jun 15, 2000

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

They could make underwater combat passable. Give the hunter much more movement than tri. With like a bunch of gimmicks and stuff.

Its just not worth the effort to design two movesets for all weapons and underwater monsters. All for a combat system that would feel worse than normal combat

If they were going to do that, Rise and its wire bugs was the best possible time. Im pretty sure people would have groused less over the wire bugs if underwater was a thing.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

v1ld posted:

I really should be using smoke bombs a lot more in quests like AT Luna when AT Teo jumps in or their double non-AT special quest. Even the Pink/Azure double Rath arena quest would be much simpler solo with smoke bombs.

Just never occurs to me until after these quests. Do any of you have loadouts with them in it?

I use them to make Alatreon land in solo and also for multimon arena quests. They're comfy!

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I'm a big dumb and didn't realize I was eating carts from the Tempered Black Diablos's fake roar into charge attack because it's unblockable and does a ton of damage, most of my health bar each hit. Put on Guard Up and it goes down no problems but that was 2 quests worth of frustration before I caught on, yeesh.

Not even the Savage Deviljho I fought right after - got lucky and got an investigation - was as much of a pain or did as much damage. This is the Rocksteady Mantle+ quest. I guess you deserve what you get when you don't realize you're trying to block something that needs guard up, without having it.

E: That Savage Jho investigation was a lucky drop. I'm now one Deviljho Crook away from crafting the Rarity 12 final Jho weapon with the highest shelling level in the game - and I'm only MR 19/HR 65 as yet. Of course, it's going to be a grind but it's not the worst drop to grind when you have a 1 Gold/1 Silver/1 Bronze investigation. Plus it'll be great to have a High Elderseal/High Dragon element weapon before I even face the first elder in MR, Blackveil.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 17, 2024

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

v1ld posted:

I'm a big dumb and didn't realize I was eating carts from the Tempered Black Diablos's fake roar into charge attack because it's unblockable and does a ton of damage, most of my health bar each hit. Put on Guard Up and it goes down no problems but that was 2 quests worth of frustration before I caught on, yeesh.

Not even the Savage Deviljho I fought right after - got lucky and got an investigation - was as much of a pain or did as much damage. This is the Rocksteady Mantle+ quest. I guess you deserve what you get when you don't realize you're trying to block something that needs guard up, without having it.

E: That Savage Jho investigation was a lucky drop. I'm now one Deviljho Crook away from crafting the Rarity 12 final Jho weapon with the highest shelling level in the game - and I'm only MR 19/HR 65 as yet. Of course, it's going to be a grind but it's not the worst drop to grind when you have a 1 Gold/1 Silver/1 Bronze investigation. Plus it'll be great to have a High Elderseal/High Dragon element weapon before I even face the first elder in MR, Blackveil.

Black Diablos hits like a truck. If you werent already, you can create openings by using sonic bombs when theyre below the sand. Pretty easy to trap too, as they charge directly at you a lot.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

^^ Farming Screamer Sacs has always been annoying, wish Capcom would give a more reliable way than Tailrider Safaris to the Wildfire Wastes. So I tend not to take them to the Diablos fights.

The main problem with Tempered Black Diablos was me trying to block one of the new attacks it gets in MR - it's unblockable and I didn't notice that for a bit. Once I put in Guard Up, the fight was fine - just had to be careful to compensate for the Tempered damage boost.

I generally use traps liberally in late MR.

Speaking of trapping: Farming Savage Jho in the Hoarfrost is easier if you fight it in the area with the frozen pond. Just like the area with the water traps in Coral Highlands, hitting an enemy hard over the frozen water gets you a free pitfall trap that seems infinitely repeatable. Not quite sure exactly what triggers the trap, but I think it's large damage to the feet. Can't be the same as tripping mechanics, because I could chain them without much damage in between. It made a difficult fight with low-MR gear much easier whenever I could fight SJho in that area.

Faming Savage Jho well before you take on Elders and have maybe not the best gear is perfectly doable if you're on top of Defense Down. I chose to use Adamant Seeds to remove it, rather than prevent it. But if you don't manage the DD blight somehow, the fight gets way harder with earlier gear. That nasty repeating AOE dragon breath attack will fry you very quickly if you have DD.

Dragonproof+ Mantle is probably a very good fit for this fight now that I think about it, didn't try it out.

I learned not to block when it does the long range leap attack, but to forward hop/evade out of it. If you're at the landing spot or close enough even with a block, you get pinned and it's tough to roll out of the follow up attack after the pin is over - that follow up does a ton of damage, enough to one shot in combo with the pin's damage if you have DD and weren't at full 200 health.

The fight was tough enough to make me really clean up my load outs, add in Ancient/Max Potions and even Dusts of Life to keep the Felyne and BoaBoa alive for longer. Which is good, MR 5* is a good time to get serious.

Playing pure solo has been a fun thing, with the occasional frustrating grind when drops don't come your way.

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

I feel like wirebugs could be translated into an underwater movement system without much change

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I grind 6-7 Savage Jhos, with a Silver/Gold investigation at that, to get its mantle (the Crook) then do the Odo/Ebony Odo hunt and get the mantle from each right away. The desire sensor is working perfectly, no doubt about it.

The melder doesn't list the Crook yet so I think I was very lucky to get that investigation to drop - I would've just melded one after the first 4-5 runs otherwise.

The Odos quest was funny since Savage Jho does this shtick where he will walk around with either kind of Odo in its mouth. I took out Ebony and had to free Odo from Jho's mouth before I could actually fight it.

There's a unique turf war attack between Odo and Tigrex I hadn't seen before where Odo leaps on Tigrex's back. It needs climbable walls nearby to do that attack I suspect.

It's just cool how much detail lies hidden in this game, to be seen only if you get the unique circumstances that will allow it to happen.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

v1ld posted:

The main problem with Tempered Black Diablos was me trying to block one of the new attacks it gets in MR - it's unblockable and I didn't notice that for a bit. Once I put in Guard Up, the fight was fine - just had to be careful to compensate for the Tempered damage boost.

This drove me insane the first time I did MR black diablos until I realized what was going on.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Finally got the random jho invasion in mhnow. Killed the angry pickle np lol.

Game is still dumb with mtx and drops but getting better on the latter with quest rewards. Spawns are meant and the latest update is causing mad lag for everyone, hitboxes are weird thanks to that as well. Hoping the next update has SA, they've said new weapons in that one too so thank gently caress. HBG would be nice too. Wish I had time to get back into world today, it's been good to play that again.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Put it in the Final Fantasy XIV thread but I figured it's potentially interesting here, too.
https://twitter.com/umadori0726/status/1770033499510362316?s=20

quote:

[FF14] Yoshida P says that the Monster Hunter collaboration was a complete defeat because the quality of Capcom's Behemoth was so amazing. Warrior of Light and friends say, “Let’s collaborate with Wilds and bring out Bahamut this time!”
I want to see Akh Morn in Wilds.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Yes, and stick Zinogre in 14.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

No more mmo fights in mon hun thanks. Behemoth sucks.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Comparing similar armor between GU and World, mainly the Esurient variants you get from Savage Jho in World and Hyper Savage Jho in GU.

Here's GU. I'm using one of the earrings as layered armor and IIRC either the waist or legs is layered as well as I was using a Silver Los piece somewhere in there.

Similar set in World using the Esurient B+ (Savage Jho) for all but the waist which is Vangis B (HR Deviljho):

Similar yet different.

The GU set was my final end game build, did almost everything in the game by that point. Using the Costume Armor mod in World since I realized I won't have the need for Savage Jho gear in World and didn't want to waste all the fugly fashion so I figured I'd cosplay for a bit.

That's the final (and awesome) Diablos CB in GU and the final (and awesome) Jho GL in World. Farming Savage Jho early was totally worth it. Taking a High Elderseal / High Raw / Final Shelling level / High Dragon attack weapon to fight Elder Dragons has been a hoot and a half so far.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Hogama posted:

Put it in the Final Fantasy XIV thread but I figured it's potentially interesting here, too.
https://twitter.com/umadori0726/status/1770033499510362316?s=20

I want to see Akh Morn in Wilds.

Cant disagree. Capcom absolutely nailed the FF and Witcher crossovers.

Extreme Behemoth was such a tense huntc especially that last arena. Maybe thats when Capcom decided to add more team wipes into Icebornes design?

JackGeneric
Apr 23, 2008

[Witty observation]
Behemoth was a neat concept, but I don't think the attempt to push Monster Hunter weapons into more MMO-like roles really worked as smoothly as the designers envisioned. Like, I get where they were going with the aggro system, but it was weird to get on the right person consistently, MH's support mechanics are not built on the assumption that you'll be trying to keep one specific person alive under constant assault the whole hunt, and it was pretty gross to wipe because a shoulder tackle/spin hit both the last comet and the person doing everything in their power to get it the gently caress away from the comet.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Shara Ishvalda was a miserable fight as a solo GL. Took a couple of tries to figure out that given its mobility and the GL's lack of any over those kind of ranges, I was better off sheathing and running to get into position before the opening showed up.

That worked, no carts, but it took a couple tries before I settled on that strategy and even in that final try was thinking maybe I should have put in quick sheath. Dumb way to fight as a GL but I didn't want to build a bowgun to cheese it.

I only fought it once in my last complete run and don't plan to fight it again this run.

The final head poke is a cool pic.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ishvalsda was a great fight imo.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I love Ishvaldas fight, just slap in one terrain deco for the quicksand.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah I always liked fighting shara ishvalda. Cool music, creepy monster, and a neat theme and phase transition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

I did not enjoy Ishvalda or Xeno Jiva at all. Boring final story hunts, especially compared to the title updates that followed. Atleast Gaismagorm had the different levels and artillery sections to break up the monotony a bit.