Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Outrail posted:

Do you want a shadowy cabal who control society from the shadows? Coz I think it's not a terrible idea.

Sorta?

I want to get people like Paebel and Uriah and Gareb teaming up with... some of our human-appearing but more eccentric new Melachim friends whose names I haven't memorized yet.

Just get the forward-thinking people working together to advance society and minimize strife, calm the fires and unite the people of the Donut under a common banner, promote a common cause to rally behind and try to reduce xenophobia, and try to covertly tackle the problem of intelligent monsters (that don't worship demons, ask for worship, promote worship of false idols, and also don't farm humans). All while maintaining plausible deniability and just gathering knowledge, philosophizing, and trying to nudge things along organically.

Our older Balls already know that Enkidel is supernatural. Apparently plausible deniability works when it comes to the supernatural as well as getting out of... trouble...

Does El work along the same lines as Yahweh? Can we rules-lawyer God in this story??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
*Suriel is suddenly far, far closer*

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

the_steve posted:

We should make Jael a friendship bracelet.
Engrave a little 'Jaelkidel BFFs ALWAYS' charm for it

I think he already has the sneaking suspicion that "temporary assignment" means something different when it's immortal angels referring to an immortal-ish abomination

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
If he wants out, all he needs to do is make some other angelic being

Jaelous

:frogc00l:

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Voting is closed, though the next update won't be tonight.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

alpaca diseases posted:

Knowledge: Old Tales (Synergy - Domain: Law (Judgements))

Are there any old tales relating to monsters trying to avoid the wrath of something by ‘worshipping El’, and the judgements wrought upon them?
No.

alpaca diseases posted:

Are there any ‘lesser’ (ie not Gazmal) tales about cities worshipping Melachim and what happened to them?
Yes, some. Universally bad things happened which usually involve dying.

alpaca diseases posted:

Are there any tales of cities who had inhuman/animal rulers (be it crowned by the populace or otherwise), and what happened to them?
There are stories of men being chattel to monsters or demons. Mostly they died.

alpaca diseases posted:

Are there any tales of Rulers who tyrannically enforced Els law to the degree we’re hearing this city does—death for the most minor infraction etc—, and what happened to them ?
There are not.

alpaca diseases posted:

Ee: and while we’re at it- ask if that kids Old Tale about the man and his walking/talking sunflower pal was real
All the Melachim including Puabi seem united in their steadfast refusal to discuss the Old Tales with you. The reasons vary and some don't even give one but none of them will discuss it. You know from your Baitel PHD Monster Slaying Master Class that there are plants that can move around and fight in some places, including the swamps north of the grasslands if that helps? You know the talking sunflower to be a children's story, no one believes it to be a real thing that happened.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 19, 2024

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

Volmarias posted:

If he wants out, all he needs to do is make some other angelic being

Jaelous

:frogc00l:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Goatse James Bond posted:

I think he already has the sneaking suspicion that "temporary assignment" means something different when it's immortal angels referring to an immortal-ish abomination

He knows.
He doesn't want to admit it, he's constantly praying he's wrong, but deep down he knows.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

lol if he’s the equivalent of that American Dream goon whose company completely forgot he existed

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

That's interesting. The ptb decided to leave out any moral lessons in the Old Tales on what to do in the face of a pious king killing their citizens for El over minor infractions. Even with our mortal elite education and divine domain over knowledge of the Old Tales, we don't recall any stories.

I wonder if we can eventually divine how they decided what would go into the Old Tales and what gets left out as apocrypha at best. That would represent a significant leap on real knowledge on how modern Ur was made.

Its suspiciously convenient that if we do visit the city and stop the king one way or another then we are setting a precedent to anyone that has the same knowledge.

Polgas fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Mar 19, 2024

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

We will probably update tonight but this is not a promise. If a point comes that we are confident it won't be tonight we will post let you know. Thank you for your patience.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Diogines fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 19, 2024

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

El.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

A Terrible Person posted:

All while maintaining plausible deniability and just gathering knowledge, philosophizing, and trying to nudge things along organically.

Just wanted to emphasize this last bit.

I'm not saying that I want Enkidel puppeteering everything behind the scenes. I want our most forward-thinking allies who have ins in various levels of society (including the old-guard Traditionalists via familial ties or otherwise), their friends and allies, and as many charismatic and ingenious people we can get and then have them unknowingly collaborate with semi-Divine beings that are trying really hard (and sometimes nearly failing) at pretending to be eccentric philosophical innovators. Let them nudge things along by themselves and with popular support all on their own.

It can be based out of Lefkandi's courtyard (not workshop, we're being secretive and sneaky), and will include a laugh track.

OH! And thanks for not answering my last few "questions," Diog. I really try to stick to only italicizing/bolding the real questions and leaving the jokes plain.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

Diogines posted:

If a point comes that we are confident it won't be tonight we will post let you know. Thank you for your patience.

The point has come, but what does it mean?

How can we interpret these messages from the Creator?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

WHAT IS BIG EL HIDING FROM US?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Slaan posted:

WHAT IS BIG EL HIDING FROM US?

Ligma

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

A point means goblins so El is saying we should negotiate an alliance treaty with the goblin king.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Our belief defines what any given thing is.

I believe . means there will be an update.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Other men from Armanum serve you now, quite a few in fact but you seem to trust Nabonassar and being a local he seems better informed on such things and so you ask him to tell you more of Yeledtov before you meet with their delegation.

Nabonassar tells you...

"The people of Yeledtov are an ill-tempered people and were the traditional foes of Armanum. They are hateful and distrustful of outsiders, having little contact with any of their neighbors except to sometimes raid their holdings. They are very warlike and savage. The people hold up to the delusional that their king is an ancient dog which is of course ridiculous and false and it is said that their women lay with dogs and also some men, which I would also doubt but cannot say with certainty that it is actually false. They trade with none of their neighbors on account of being generally despised, except for Cananara, though they trade with some cities further away who are too far for them to raid and thus hate them less. Their city is obsessed with dogs, of which they have a great many and which they take with them to war and are said to always keep by their sides."

Would they be helpful to fight the Bnainokt? Why didn't Kelashin attack them?

"My King, you know the Bnainokt far better than I? From what I know of them I do not think any men but your Gibborim are likely to pose more of a threat to the Bnaimokt than any other group. They are more warlike and savage than many cities and I think Kelashin simply did not get to them yet, but with their ever growing power perhaps intend to?"

A short time later you meet with several envoys from Yeledtov.

1. By the way, where DO you meet with foreign envoys and other important foreigners?

A. At my home, , which is at present an apartment building with a bunch of rooms we are turning into a proper home.
B. At the palace.
C. At the building the Chairman use as their office, which is a not very impressive building near the market.
D. In the marketplace, where everyone who wants to watch, can.
E. In the open land near the center of the city used for public gatherings near the Temple.
F. In the amphitheater.
G. In or near the Mason Guildhall, to give them additional prestige.
H. In or near the Smith's Guildhall, to give them additional prestige.
I. In or near the Carpenter's Guildhall, to give them additional prestige.
J. Some place else. Where? Fill in.

2. Where do you generally "hold court"? Doing so in a Fancy Place probably makes you seem more impressive to your subjects, even if the more elite of your people won't like it.
K. In the marketplace, which is what Tudiya usually did, with rare exception.
L. Usually in the marketplace, but also often in other random places I felt like doing it, such as by the side of the river, which is what I did in Kavodel. Though I probably won't do it by the river much if at all now since that is outside of the city walls. I usually did it in the market in Kavodel but often did it in other places which suited my whim at the time.
M. In the Palace, which is a Big Fancy Building, it is what the Armanumians expect and will probably impress foreigners more? It will probably also impress many of Zepathans, even if the elite of Zepathan society won't like it.
N. Some place else. Where? Fill in.

"Arf bark BARK BARK!"

You are met by a man who may be a little bit Blooded by Doughnut standards besides whom is a very large dog, not the largest dog you've ever seen (even excluding Snarls) but it is a Very Big Dog. Both the man and the dog are wearing armor, behind him are two other men, also in armor beside whom are also very large dogs, the two men behind the first have a chest between them. All three of the men have wild, unkempt hair and beards that look like they have never had a good combing. After barking at you several times the man says "Hello Companion of the Great Hunter Snarls, son of Barkof. We have heard stories of his many great hunts and battles and the many terrible foes he has slain. This is Throatsinger and I am Remaliah. We have brought gifts for him, as well as an invitation for an audience with the Heart of the Pack, the Great Yeledtov. This is a very rare honor for foreigners are never granted an audience with them. As his Companion you may also come if you wish. He will be treated with all the respect he is owed, which is considerable. May I ask where he is? We have come a long way to see him."

Unless you actually decide to bring him, Snarls has yet to make an appearance and they have not seen him yet.

Their tone is not hostile but it is strong and confident and for once a group of foreigners don't try to bow or prostrate themselves before you.

3. What do you want to do in response to this... invitation?
O. Decline.
P. Decline, for now. Tell them you and Snarls are both very busy and you would like to accept, but not now.
Q. With a very heavy guard sufficient to fight his way out of the city if needed, send Snarls to go... meet with Yeledtov?
R. Go to with Snarls to Yeledtov, but I don't want this to take a lot of time, NPCKidel will do what he thinks best and we'll just get a summary of how the trip went.
S. Go with Snarls to Yeledtov, but don't speed things up, I want to go meet the "dog king".
T. Something else. What? Fill in.

Anyone you want to be present during this meeting can be, who do you want to have here?

Whether he is or not you eventually ask Nabonassar what he makes of this. He says to you...

"As you have seen My King these men are savages and they have long been our foes. They are not the only ones who inflicted our recent miseries upon us, but they are one of them and only when they realize that our new King is Great and Mighty do they bring gifts words instead of spears? Many of the people will be unhappy if they are shown any courtesy or if you accept the invitation, though such things may be managed, especially if you go to make demands and show them the new order, not to befriend them. Demanding restitution for past misdeeds would please many of your subjects greatly."

You can speak with Remaliah or anyone else about this, normal rules apply.

[...]

Discord Link if you want to join us to chat: https://discord.gg/w4az9EGt

The channel is CannibalKingofZepath.

If by the time you try the link it has expired, please message me for a new one, or post in the thread asking! Discord has them expire periodically for reasons beyond our control and indeed, beyond the understanding of mere mortal men.

[...]

Travic's Awesome Index: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3550307&pagenumber=4080&perpage=40#post473373440

Diogines fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 20, 2024

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
1. A
2. L
3. R

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

BLS

gently caress it, we ball with the dog king

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

BLS

Let's meet the dog king and see what they are actually like, not just what the traditional enemies of them say they are like.

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!

Yeledtov is led by a dog melachim or dog like powerful entity, is my bet

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

1 B
2 K
3 Q

We should turn the palace into a sort of city hall if it's not going to be our home.

As for Dog King, I wanted to do this anyway. Make it a Snuls PoV update if this wins.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Ask Snarls how these dogs smell, and if they look smarter than usual

Ask Remalaiah how old their Dog King is

Does everyone in Yeledtov have a dog as Companion?

What about the people in Cananara?

What's your relationship with Cananara?

Are there any cats in your city? (preempting Nyaa)

Ask our Nabo guy, do they usually use their dogs in their raids? I see they are wearing armor

Remelaiah, has your city come under attack the past Jubilees?

Are you afraid of Kelashin?

Uriah was in the meeting. When the envoy barked, was he able to understand his meaning with the Gift of Tongues?

Diog, is it unusual that their dogs are this controlled? Don't dogs usually jump at us while being very happy? Does enkidel feel anything odd about them?

Remelaiah, do you worship El in Yeledtov?

Does te Great Yeledtov himself pay homage to El?

Mr. Nemo fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 20, 2024

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
BLS DOG KING DOG KING

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
DLS, envoys get basically the same treatment as our own people. Also, no way I'm skipping a chance to personally meet the Dog King as Snarls' loyal vassal

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Part of the update got cutoff, woops. Edited in Nabonassar's thoughts at the end.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
If we play every single emissary interaction out this game is not going to finish in our lifetime.

Move on to the timeskip.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

TheCog posted:

If we play every single emissary interaction out this game is not going to finish in our lifetime.

Move on to the timeskip.

If Dog King has 1 millions fans i'm one of them

If Dog King has 1 fan, i'm him

If Dog King has 0 fans, it's because i died

We will play this out, gently caress everything else

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Diogines posted:

Part of the update got cutoff, woops. Edited in Nabonassar's thoughts at the end.

sorry Nabs, this one's a losing battle, the sooner you figure it out the better

TheCog posted:

Move on to the timeskip.

I'm open to this on others but cmon, dog king

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Mr. Nemo posted:

Uriah was in the meeting. When the envoy barked, was he able to understand his meaning with the Gift of Tongues?

Mr. Nemo posted:

Ask Snarls how these dogs smell, and if they look smarter than usual
We are not ignoring this but passing over it for now until people weigh in on if Snarls is here or not, and who else is also.

Mr. Nemo posted:

Ask Remalaiah how old their Dog King is

"Ancient for years out of counting."

Mr. Nemo posted:

Does everyone in Yeledtov have a dog as Companion?

"When a man passes the trials he is bonded with one on his Naming Day."

When is that?

"When they turn 13."

Mr. Nemo posted:

What about the people in Cananara?

"The city is no more."

Mr. Nemo posted:

Are there any cats in your city? (preempting Nyaa)

"There are."

Mr. Nemo posted:

Ask our Nabo guy, do they usually use their dogs in their raids? I see they are wearing armor

"Yes, they bring them to battle and unleash them on their foes."

Mr. Nemo posted:

Remelaiah, has your city come under attack the past Jubilees?

"Men know our bite is worse than our bark."

Mr. Nemo posted:

Are you afraid of Kelashin?

"A great wolf does not fear a mangy cur."

Mr. Nemo posted:

Diog, is it unusual that their dogs are this controlled? Don't dogs usually jump at us while being very happy? Does enkidel feel anything odd about them?
When first they entered all three dogs barked excitedly and rushed towards you, only for their Bondsmen to whistle and for the dogs to come back to their sides. All three of them are staring very intently at you.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

TheCog posted:

Move on to the timeskip.
For context we will probably do two or at MOST three of the envoys. Just to give you all a heads up for what to expect. We are currently leaning towards three.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

BKS

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

yes Snarls is here :colbert:

no preference on others although I imagine we have some angels lying around

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Snarls is 100% here this is his time to shine

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

SHOW THEM SNARLS

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
1: E - Near the temple, to remind everyone that THE LORD is watching,
2: L - Just going by Enkidel has done in the past. Sometimes a whim just takes him, y'know.
3: S - Obviously. Ain't no way Enkidel is passing this opportunity up. Ask Snarls what to bring as a gift to Great Good Boy.
4: Anyone you want to be present during this meeting can be, who do you want to have here?
Uriah, because i want to see the look on his face. Danal, because he was the one to gift us Snarls. Naomi, because this is Family Business and she could use more screentime! Snarls, because, it's HIS meeting.

Also, Diogines: I assume that by 'hold court' do you mean handing down judgements from our fancy chair, or our big council meetings or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!
are we stuck in a looney loop until april fool's day or what the hell is going on