Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i was not a very sophisticated film viewer when i watched alien resurrection but i distinctly remember rolling my eyes at ripley throwing the basketball up out of the frame and some stage hand dropping a second basketball into the net behind her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

there is also a very bad basketball scene that is very jossy

the basketball scene is cool because signourney weaver actually nailed a no-look three pointer on the first try but no one will ever believe it because the ball briefly leaves the frame

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

uh oh. now we gotta fight

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Truman Peyote posted:

i was not a very sophisticated film viewer when i watched alien resurrection but i distinctly remember rolling my eyes at ripley throwing the basketball up out of the frame and some stage hand dropping a second basketball into the net behind her

haveblue posted:

the basketball scene is cool because signourney weaver actually nailed a no-look three pointer on the first try but no one will ever believe it because the ball briefly leaves the frame

lmao

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Truman Peyote posted:

keep it above the belt and no eye gouging

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
what is this marques de queensberry poo poo?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i never watched alien covenant but the trailer made me think they basically just gave up and made a slasher movie from that one bit of the couple getting killed during sexy shower time

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

infernal machines posted:

rotor probably helped the marques develop those rules

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i never watched alien covenant but the trailer made me think they basically just gave up and made a slasher movie from that one bit of the couple getting killed during sexy shower time

hmm... this friendly robot sure seems to be fascinated with vivisection and weird alien trophies. oh well, no reason not to trust him completely.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

infernal machines posted:

its ok to gouge out this guys eyes

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that's what the visor's for, old man

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Alien3 is deffo better in the extended cut

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Chris Knight posted:

Alien3 is deffo better in the extended cut

yeah, I think that movie gets a not-entirely-deserved bad rap due to how it was forced out. some good performances imo, just tonally very different and very much not 'fun' like the sequels it's wedged between.

anyway please enjoy this miniature ya nerds

https://twitter.com/aliensexpanded/status/1759669262442955089

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

my favorite part of alien 3 is why it's in a prison that's also some kind of monastery for some reason.

at one point in production, there were two competing scripts: one where the alien is in a prison colony so there are locked doors everywhere and violent criminals with their own agendas, and one where the alien is in a low-tech monastery so nobody knows how to fight and there aren't any weapons.

*snorts gigantic rail* GUYS

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there’s also the gibson script with space communists [most reports point to this being a spec script and there was no intent to actually produce it]

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

FMguru posted:

afaict there are only two stories you can tell with xenomorphs (ordinary people encounter them and are plunged into a horror scenario, and professionals encounter them and get their asses kicked and are plunged into a horror scenario) and they did as good a job as possible telling those stories in the first two movies

nice people encounter them and they all have a nice time. but then the xenomorph accidentally cuts itself and the human thinks the acid blood is an attack, so they part ways. montage of both pining for the other. eventually they run into each other in the crawlspace and love is rekindled. there are some shenanigans but it all ends happily ever after

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Sagebrush posted:

my favorite part of alien 3 is why it's in a prison that's also some kind of monastery for some reason.

at one point in production, there were two competing scripts: one where the alien is in a prison colony so there are locked doors everywhere and violent criminals with their own agendas, and one where the alien is in a low-tech monastery so nobody knows how to fight and there aren't any weapons.

*snorts gigantic rail* GUYS

the monastery was also supposed to be a spaceship made out of wood

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Truman Peyote posted:

lol

wikipedia mentions that bit but its citation is a special feature from the alien quadrilogy box set. maybe it's online somewhere

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

haveblue posted:

lol

wikipedia mentions that bit but its citation is a special feature from the alien quadrilogy box set. maybe it's online somewhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3u4uDwLzNI

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/thekatyo/status/1514331221102276610?s=46&t=aXw7W5TiwDaOVtqp-9FOLA

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

ah hell I missed news Vernor Vinge passed yesterday; I'm going to go back through some of his work, it's been a while.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

NoneMoreNegative posted:

ah hell I missed news Vernor Vinge passed yesterday; I'm going to go back through some of his work, it's been a while.

drat, RIP

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Deepness_in_the_Sky

was my favorite of his, especially viewed in the context of him being a professor and “focus” being a snarky joke about it being a trait of some students or admins

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

she got the part

https://twitter.com/loveliesmovie/status/1737110823406023157

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

halfway through heretics of dune: really this isn’t bad, i can understand it being a bit of a let down but there’s some interesting enough stuff going on
2/3 through heretics of dune: oh no, is this where 4 books of mandatory terrible 60s/70s male scifi author sex stuff went?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

which one introduces the honored matres, is that 5

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

quiggy posted:

which one introduces the honored matres, is that 5

yup

it’s abstract enough until duncan is escaping with lucilla (the imprinter)

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

lol is that where frank talks about her precise control over her vaginal muscles and whatnot

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

for like 5 pages

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

good stuff

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

they should make that into a movie

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I’d watch it if Dennis was still in charge, too

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

quiggy posted:

good stuff

the next chapter includes

“Taraza lifted her gaze to Bellonda waiting in the doorway. She is too fat! She flaunts that before us!”

— Frank Herbert's Dune Saga Collection: Books 1 - 6 by Frank Herbert

quality seems to be going full 737 max here

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

quiggy posted:

good stuff

and then in a universe where todays national identities, religions, beliefs etc have eroded, merged, blended, died etc, he introduces a people called The Jews who are just straight up the same as they are today because they are so clannish etc.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

postin my favorite emmet walsh bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRu0OCub5m0

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

it's been a few days since I watched dune 2 but I can't stop thinking about the visuals. everything was so on point and satisfying. so menacing. even small things like how their laser weapons were continuous beams of light rather than the typical PEW PEW projectiles you see in sci-fi. I remember thinking the same thing in the first part, when the bombs were slowly penetrating the ship's shields. just a delight to watch.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Honestly the whole "projectiles that slowly push their way through shields before exploding on the inside" thing is just incredible filmmaking. Visually spectacular, but still makes perfect sense as the sort of weapon you'd design to beat that particular defense.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
and then the explosion is contained within the shield for a moment before it fails :discourse:

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
going to see DUNC2 tonight hellll yeah

dunc2nite

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

villeneuve has a great eye for sci-fi visuals, i was blown away when i first watched arrival

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

quiggy posted:

villeneuve has a great eye for sci-fi visuals

https://i.imgur.com/XtV5IuB.mp4