Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm enjoying most of the minigames so far, I'd only say one was tedious but that's just because it doesn't allow you to invert your y axis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Dr. Eldarion posted:

... and speaking of long trophy lists, I've had a craving for Diablo lately so I grabbed Diablo 2. The trophy list on that one is absolutely insane.

I started D2R last year and yeeeeeah, it's a bit much. BUT there are a couple of little things that can help with the grind a tiny bit.

If you do the Hardcore character offline, you can backup your save in case you die. Getting to level 99 in hc will also count for both hc and sc trophies so you'll only have to do it once. The Terror Zones make leveling after 50 slightly better. You can hit level 70 and get some Sunder Charms before starting Hell. And Baal runs aren't your only option for xp after beating Hell, so that's nice.

But it's still going to take a looong time even with those small bits of help. Think I hit Act 4 in Nightmare with my hc Hammerdin before burning out last time. Gotta get back to it at some point this year to complete my Diablo trophies (aside from the bugged D4 ones on PS5).

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Fedule posted:

You have to beat every minigame entirely and many are either godawful or tedious.

Eh I'm in South Corel right now and I've completed every minigame I've come across (at least, the ones that have unlocked all their levels). So unless there's something coming up that's really terrible, that doesn't seem too bad.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Morpheus posted:

Eh I'm in South Corel right now and I've completed every minigame I've come across (at least, the ones that have unlocked all their levels). So unless there's something coming up that's really terrible, that doesn't seem too bad.

It's not just beating every minigame, you need to go back and beat a harder version of a few of them. I also hear there's more annoying ones coming up later after corel.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Ineffiable posted:

It's not just beating every minigame, you need to go back and beat a harder version of a few of them. I also hear there's more annoying ones coming up later after corel.

Ruh roh! Well, I might do that but I doubt I'll be getting the plat. Can't imagine playing through the game again on Hard, couldn't bother doing that in Remake and that was like a quarter of the size of this.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Realtalk, every time, every god drat time, you encounter a minigame and it's like, it's not so bad. Then it starts to develop and you have to work for it. Then it outlasts its welcome but still it keeps going. Then it finally ends and you get that familiar "thank gently caress I don't have to do this anymore" feeling.

Then you unlock Hard Mode.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fedule posted:

Realtalk, every time, every god drat time, you encounter a minigame and it's like, it's not so bad. Then it starts to develop and you have to work for it.

Then you unlock Hard Mode.

This is how it's been for me.

Though I got the fifth piano piece tonight and my plat might be dead in the water now.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Is that one Hard to Stand on Both Feet?

That's the only one I had trouble with, every other one I got an A on the first try but that one took me like 5 tries before I was able to pull it off. Definitely way harder than the others.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Is that one Hard to Stand on Both Feet?

That's the only one I had trouble with, every other one I got an A on the first try but that one took me like 5 tries before I was able to pull it off. Definitely way harder than the others.

Yeah it's this one. I just cannot get the rhythm down for the left stick, and needing to reset the stick back to center before hitting the next note instead of being able to slide makes it really hard too in the sections where there's a lot of notes. Plus if you miss a note you can just eat the input for the next one too and then you end up with two bads instead of one and it can cascade into even more if you don't give yourself a beat to fully reset.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Update: found this video, first try increased my score by about 1k, got the A on the try after that.

https://youtu.be/Qbd30cGbbZQ?si=VsH2lluV6zLirYQw

Sharing in hopes it helps other people who got stuck like me.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Platinum #641: Odin Sphere Leifthrasir

Great game, achieved the platinum in 29 hours. I've kind of accepted I probably won't get the ff7 rebirth platinum so I been doing other game platinums while taking breaks from ff7r (man it is such a long and big game)

I feel like platinums under 30 hours are very reasonable and usually well paced. Maybe 40 hours. Once you start getting past the 50 hour mark you usually only do it if you really like the game.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

Platinum #641: Odin Sphere Leifthrasir

Great game, achieved the platinum in 29 hours. I've kind of accepted I probably won't get the ff7 rebirth platinum so I been doing other game platinums while taking breaks from ff7r (man it is such a long and big game)

I feel like platinums under 30 hours are very reasonable and usually well paced. Maybe 40 hours. Once you start getting past the 50 hour mark you usually only do it if you really like the game.

I’m faced with this in Batman Arkham City. The completion is not outside of my ability, just my attention span at the moment.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Anti-Hero posted:

I’m faced with this in Batman Arkham City. The completion is not outside of my ability, just my attention span at the moment.

That's the unfortunate reality of completing games. Not all of them are outside your ability to do, but definitely out of your yearly time budget to do all of them.

Think about how many folks here complain how there's too many games coming out and that's just them trying to finish games. Now look at us trying to finish, and also go for 100% completion. We're simply mad.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

That's the unfortunate reality of completing games. Not all of them are outside your ability to do, but definitely out of your yearly time budget to do all of them.

Think about how many folks here complain how there's too many games coming out and that's just them trying to finish games. Now look at us trying to finish, and also go for 100% completion. We're simply mad.

I’m really dumb in that I have open progress in that game on two platforms! But it’s great knowing there are NO online achievements/trophies so I can come back in a decade.

Edit: I’m tooting my own horn here, but I’ve completed some very demanding, community respected games and feel I don’t have to prove anything to myself and can leave stuff unfinished for now.

Anti-Hero fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 15, 2024

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
40-50 hours over, like, two weeks seems to be the max I can handle for one game. If it takes longer than that my ADHD kicks in. I usually have to stop, play something else, and then hopefully come back. Which, uh, doesn't happen as often as it should, obviously.

Anyway, I started Path of Exile and got a couple of trophies so I'm locked in now. I already know it's going to take a long time for the plat so I'm pacing myself. Going for the 50+ minions trophy now, and then when the new league starts in a couple of weeks I'll start in on the platinum grind. Still trucking along in FF7 Remake as well. Just hit Chapter 8.

Bloodborne is up next in the "Return to ___" events so I'll also be playing that soon. My Dark Souls 2 playthrough stalled out so I'll have to get back to that sometime before the Elden Ring DLC releases in June. Also picked up Wild Hearts for $20 from Amazon, and considering splurging for Rise of the Ronin next week. Games, games, games!

Okay, that's my Friday morning trophy ramblings.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Paying2Lurk posted:

40-50 hours over, like, two weeks seems to be the max I can handle for one game. If it takes longer than that my ADHD kicks in. I usually have to stop, play something else, and then hopefully come back. Which, uh, doesn't happen as often as it should, obviously.

Yeah that seems to be around the case for me. There's exceptions like Honkai Star Rail took over two months at playing around 30 minutes or more a day (plat attained at over 90 hours) but I knew the trailblazer level was the plat limiter and I paced myself through the game. But generally I like to be done in under 40 hours for the longer games. There's just too many games to play, I can't commit too often for a platinum beyond 50 hours/ 2 weeks of playtime.

What I am doing though is, I usually rotate around 3-4 games at the same time. That's how it might feel like I finished Odin sphere and remnant 1 platinums rather quickly back to back but if you look I actually started them weeks ago and would make a little bit of progress each day.

Here's to a weekend of collecting trophies!

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

What I am doing though is, I usually rotate around 3-4 games at the same time. That's how it might feel like I finished Odin sphere and remnant 1 platinums rather quickly back to back but if you look I actually started them weeks ago and would make a little bit of progress each day.

I definitely am trying to do this! I was getting burned out on Arkham City so I dipped out in to Ghostrunner 2 since it was on sale. Once I clean that up I might dip back in to BAC, or start something else. Evil West is looking particularly good.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Remember it doesn't always have to be about the hunt for 100%

Thats what I tell myself as I put down Superhot at 62% complete and only 6 trophies left unearned. I've played it before on xbox gamepass but at least wanted to complete a playthrough on Playstation.

Superhot is the most innovative shooter I've played in years.

Now time to dig something else out of the backlog.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Anti-Hero posted:

Arkham City’s plat is painful, godspeed to ya on that one.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Paying2Lurk posted:

Anyway, I started Path of Exile and got a couple of trophies so I'm locked in now.

Good luck! Some of those super bosses are crazy brutal. I had a good build funded by the insane luck of finding a mirror and it still took me a looooot of tries.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Dewgy posted:

Arkham City’s plat is painful, godspeed to ya on that one.

I've done the collectibles and NG+ on two goddamn platforms because I'm a moron. I have all the combat challenges left and I really dislike the predator poo poo on Arkham Asylum so I'm not looking forward to that at all on City.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Knocked out a few PS5 versions of Ratalaika games I already owned on PS4 for a little weekend boost.

Pinkman+ - Simple N / N++ clone. 4-bit single screen platformer with a couple of neat gimmicks. Only have to beat about half of the stages to get the plat.
Rabisco+ - Top down action puzzle game with a cute aesthetic. Pretty easy overall, but the later stages can take a few tries.
Thunderflash - Feels like a Commando knockoff you'd see in the arcades in the 80s. Nothing special, but fun enough for what it is.

So that's 18 games down in 2024 so far, and now I'm at 369 platinum trophies total. Still have a few more "freebies" I could run through, but I'll save'em for the next trophy drought. I should get back to making trophy progress in FF7 Remake this week, and I'll be starting Dragonball Xenoverse 2 in earnest as well.

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Good luck! Some of those super bosses are crazy brutal. I had a good build funded by the insane luck of finding a mirror and it still took me a looooot of tries.

Yeah, this is definitely going to be a long term project. If I can get the plat by the end of the year I'll be happy.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Platinum #642: Aerial_Knight's Never Yield.

Fun short little game, I just wanted to knock off a quick and easy platinum off my backlog. I'm on track to finish the ff7rebirth main story before Rise of the Ronin this week but I won't have all the side stuff complete, much less the hard mode stuff (which I'll save for a future if I ever feel like it)

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Ghostrunner 2 (STEAM) done and dusted. It's quite a bit easier than the first game, has more story & VA, and a little hub between missions to slot in upgrades, get some backstory, etc. Bosses are thankfully much much easier than the first game. The platinum killer is the roguelike mode, but it's bark is worse than it's bite. I almost cleared it in my second attempt, and then did the same poo poo I always do with performance based modes - hit my head against the wall hoping to grind it out inefficiently. Took a break for the evening and cleared it first try the next morning. So keep that in mind for anyone who rolls it.

Currently working on Evil West (PS5). I've done something I've not done on PlayStation for a long long time - take a break from an in-progress trophy list (I'll get back to you some time Arkham City) AND commit to a blind(ish) playthrough once I saw there were technically no missables. Pretty relaxing to just, you know, play the game and worry about trophies later.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I got the plat in Dungeon Munchies, a quirky platformer I had bought on sale. Took under 10 hours. Since it released in EA, the trophies stop before the third chapter. The third chapter is also extremely buggy and I had to deal with the last boss insta-killing me on several attacks that I am pretty sure were not supposed to be one hit kills. Luckily I made it through to see the end of the game and also access NG+, which makes the "do the first chapter without dying" trophy an easy 10-15 min affair. The only other trophy to keep in mind is it needs to be beat (well at least up through chapter 2) on the hardest difficulty. That wasn't too bad. Only one boss took me several tries, most died on the first attempt.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Another trio of cheap, easy plats to start the week:

Space Kabaam 1, 2, and 3 - Same game, three times. Same assets and trophies each time. They feel like a student project, or one of those "Make your first game in only 1 hour!" coding class kind of deals. But, I'm the sucker who bought all three for like 50 cents each. At least I got double the cheap platinums out of it. That's 372 platinum trophies, and 21 games done for 2024.

Was anybody into importing during the Saturn era? These games made me think of the weird, "Learn to program C" thing that I imported back in those days. I didn't know programming or Japanese, but hell, I thought I could learn. Think I fired it up once or twice before giving up. If I actually had stayed with either I might have a useful skill or two all these year later. Oh well, back to games.

I started Wild Hearts. I'm digging it! Still super early but if anyone else is still playing, I'd be happy to co-op. Don't worry, I talk less than I type (when I have voice chat on at all).

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Wild Hearts is a cool game but it’s one of those trophy lists where everything is fine except a single insanely grindy trophy. You need to kill 300 monsters but I didn’t even break 100 doing everything else in the game. I hoped they would release an expansion or something but support for the game died out very quickly.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

ultrachrist posted:

Wild Hearts is a cool game but it’s one of those trophy lists where everything is fine except a single insanely grindy trophy. You need to kill 300 monsters but I didn’t even break 100 doing everything else in the game. I hoped they would release an expansion or something but support for the game died out very quickly.

Yeah same. I got the 300 after doing a bunch of hunts with friends as they drip-fed the new monsters, alpha stuff and all that, but yeah, still had to grind out something like 100 hunts at the end. Really shame the game died, it's probably my favourite MH-like.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Platinum 373, 22nd game finished in 2024: Mystic Pillars Remastered.

Interesting puzzle game that's hampered by clunky controls. Says its Remastered so I'm guessing it was a phone game before? It feels like a mobile game. The actual puzzles get tough pretty quick. You have a certain number of moves to shift jewels around a set of pillars to match the solution. By like puzzle 20 (of 100 total) I was glad I was using a video guide. You could sit there and try different moves and restart the puzzles until you came up with the solutions yourself, but there's a trophy for finishing the game using under 50 restarts so that wasn't happening for me.

Speaking of trophies, they're mostly straightforward. You get most of them for beating the game. Just make sure to read each lore entry for the different areas you reach on the map, and don't skip any cutscenes or the end credits. On level 100 make a move and use Undo 20 times, then use Restart 20 times. After the credits roll, back out to the main menu and look at the 6 concept art pictures and that's it.

I used this video guide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taYVdk2fKUg

and finished in about 3 hours, but that's with a lunch in the middle. Game time was probably about 2 hours total.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Paying2Lurk posted:

Platinum 373, 22nd game finished in 2024: Mystic Pillars Remastered.

Coming in hot off you, platinum #643, also Mystic Pillars Remastered

Gonna start rise of the ronin today, will have that finished in 1-2 weeks and I've got a few weeks to tackle backlog stuff before Stellar Blade.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

Coming in hot off you, platinum #643, also Mystic Pillars Remastered

Gonna start rise of the ronin today, will have that finished in 1-2 weeks and I've got a few weeks to tackle backlog stuff before Stellar Blade.

My dude, how do you pull off so much gaming? Do you work remote?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Anti-Hero posted:

My dude, how do you pull off so much gaming? Do you work remote?

I do work remote (hybrid so a few days a week in office) but it only helps with a few hours of gaming each week. Saving time from not having to drive is a bigger win.

I also have the ps portal and I play a game at night (can be anywhere from 20-60 minutes each night) so I have a game I focus on at night time (which is how I finish something like Odin sphere or remnant along playthrough of my big games)

I can have up to 4 games going active at the same time so there's sometimes rotations where things line up and complete quickly one after the other.

Also being efficient with gaming helps a lot too, so usually from the start I've got a collectible guide open, a lot of them tend to be spoiler free and all and cutting down all that backtracking time adds up and allows me to start working on other games.

My actual gaming hours are not too crazy when you compare it to other folks here. For example I've played 76 hours of final fantasy 7 rebirth since the launch 3 weeks ago.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Platinum #53 - Evil West

Corny 3rd person brawler/shooter in the God of War vein by the devs who did the Shadow Warrior modern titles. It has a pretty stupid story but the gameplay is very fun. Perfect for me in that it's very linear, with easily snagged collectibles. Awesome gadgets, fantastic monster designs, but sucks in there are 2 playthroughs required. Do not go for the hardest difficulty playthrough first as that trophy can bug out; save it for NG+. The Evil difficultly can be pretty draining as it's mostly a test of dodging and patience as everything is a mega bullet sponge. if you want to just blow up nasty monsters and vampires with Electropunk Weird West gadgets this game is any easy recommend!

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
I know, “rookie numbers,” but…

Plat #25: Brotato (PS5)

Had watched this on Twitch a few times and picked it up to be a palate cleanser around all the RPGs I’ve been getting into. I didn’t expect to get so dug into the game.

The bad news is that you have to clear all five Danger levels (think Ascension in Hades) not only to get the trophies for each level, but to unlock two of the characters needed for individual clear trophies.

The good news is that you don’t need to finish a run with all 44 characters. Only 20 of them are on the trophy list (and as mentioned, two are locked behind clearing higher Danger levels/difficulties). But once you clear Danger 5 once, you don’t need to do it again for the platinum which makes clean up much easier.

I will likely still come back to this in the future, since I still have 19 characters I need to finish a run with and get item unlocks for. But right now I’ve exhausted my excuses to lose myself in FF7 Rebirth, and I should probably get back to working on Chapter 7, some 36.5 hours into the game.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
If you want to take all of the challenge out of Brotato, you can use the Accessibility options to turn down enemy damage and speed to like 25%.

I did most of the PS4 trophies legit, but when I play the PS5 version I'll be using them all to breeze through it.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
now I’m finding this out?!

Sonuva…

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
The true trophy sicko in you has yet to awaken. :yeshaha:

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
2 platinum day for me:

Unicorn Overlord: Vanillaware spiritual successor to Ogre Battle. Pretty cool game, but extremely easy on the hardest difficulty (difficulty doesn't matter for trophies anyway.) There's barely more to getting the platinum than playing the game regularly and I assume even people who don't care about trophies will end up getting it. Took me right around 40 hours. Beforehand, I had read the devs say it would take 50 to complete and 100 to 100% and I cannot imagine where the second number came from.

Unbound: Worlds Apart: A metroidvania I picked up on sale a while back. Actually, it's only an MV in the loosest sense of the genre (interconnected map, traversal upgrades.) It's more of a precision/puzzle platformer. You die in one hit but there's constant checkpoints. It looks good and is fun to play, but it feels like it's missing something, like it's too small in ambition and probably budget. Short, too. PSN app says 6 hours, though I'm pretty good at platformers and steam reviews said 10.

Meanwhile, I'd been playing Expeditions: Mudrunner and finished all the expeditions in the Carpathians only for the trophy not to pop. I looked that up online and apparently a mid-March patch broke all kinds of trophies. Hopefully they fix that and it registers retroactively...

ultrachrist fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 25, 2024

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

idk if it's been mentioned in here at all but for the psychos like me that are chipping away on the Rebirth Plat, the last sidequest is currently bugged as of the most recent patch and is uncompleteable. Hopefully SE releases a fix soon but for now you can't progress past a certain point as it won't register the objective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

ultrachrist posted:

Meanwhile, I'd been playing Expeditions: Mudrunner and finished all the expeditions in the Carpathians only for the trophy not to pop. I looked that up online and apparently a mid-March patch broke all kinds of trophies. Hopefully they fix that and it registers retroactively...

Uh oh, I've been working on this and hadn't heard about the glitched trophies. I've been alternating between Arizona and Carpathians so I'm nowhere near done with either. I did get the trophy for making a lot of money by buying a truck for 25000 and then selling it for 25000. Glad it didn't want me to have 1.5 mil moneys at one time!

My trophy hunting has really slowed down, but I finished The Swapper and used a video guide to find all the darn hidden terminals. So that's another completion (no platinum). Fun puzzle game that stumped me when it came out and I found I'm no smarter now, so I ended up cheating a bit on some of the later levels.

I got a Steam Deck this past week and it streams my PS5 perfectly, so maybe I'll start getting back into trophy stuff. I know for one it'll really help me finish the Pic-a-Pix games. Playing them on my TV gives me a headache and I can knock out a puzzle or two in bed on the Deck.