Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Let's chat about achievements and trophies and the hunting and tracking of them and your obsession with that little ding.

Want to brag about getting something difficult or 100%ing a game?
Want to complain about being forced to find 7000 collectibles to get the 100%?
Want to post about your shame for paying $5 for a cheap game just because the achievements were easy?
Want to post about your shame for not playing a game you'd probably like just because the trophies were too hard or time consuming?
Want to talk about tracking websites, competitions, or the like?

This is the thread for you!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some resources:

Goon Leaderboards
TrueAchievements: https://www.trueachievements.com/leaderboard.aspx?leaderboardid=4483
TrueTrophies: https://www.truetrophies.com/leaderboard.aspx?leaderboardid=550

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

I'm a bit of an addict.

So far, between this gen and last gen, I've 100%ed 237 games. I know for a fact that other people here (well, at least one) have done more.

I love hunting trophies, and I (mostly) love what going for them has done to the way I play games. They generally push me to play a lot more of a game than I normally would, and do additional things in them that I normally wouldn't (multiplayer, collectibles, superbosses, etc.). The amount of games that I start and then drop before finishing has plummeted, which is great - there are quite a few that I pushed through slow starts on and then enjoyed a lot later on.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
I got the platinum trophy in Demon's Souls when it came out, I think that really killed my trophy hunting in the later Dark Souls games. I actually would attribute that grind to being why I only beat Dark Souls, played Dark Souls 2 and never bothered to buy 3.

Oh and the fact that for Dark Souls 2 the expansion made me restart from the beginning. That kind of sucked, but is unrelated to trophies.

On the other end, I cannot believe that I ended up enjoying a game so much as to go for the platinum, and then only kind of want more. That game was Persona 5. I had played and bounced off of Persona 3 FES, and Persona 4 Golden, but 5 just got me hooked. I spent almost 200 hours getting the platinum in 5. That was a few months ago, and this past labor day, I started on Persona 5 Royal, because I'm somehow damaged and want to sink another 200+ hours over the course of the next few months playing the game all over again.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

P5 is so good! I platted the original and am planning, like you, to also do it for P5R at some point.

No shame in finishing up games you love more than once. I've duped up on the Mass Effect games on different platforms, and will happily do them again if/when they receive remasters.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I've never been big on getting achievements, but I like when games like Crusader Kings 2/3 have a bunch of achievements based on different challenge or concept runs of the game. They can give an interesting goal when you're not sure how you want to play.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Ones like that are fantastic. I tend to fall into ruts in playing certain types of game when my brain views an approach as "optimal", so having a reward for a Civ6 religious victory, or actually acting like an evil dictator in Tropico really helps incentivize trying out those playstyles. Or in different types of games, having trophies both for "kill everyone" and "kill nobody" type playthroughs.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I think achievements are best when they incentivize you to explore or mess with mechanics that you may otherwise not. Or ones that reward something that’s actually an accomplishment, instead of the standard “collect 30 bear asses” or “progress through the game normally”. I know you have to have those to carrot and stick people through your game, though.

At the end of the day though, I’m a whore for making numbers go up and I’ve Platinumed over 20 titles. I’ll only do that if I really enjoy the game and getting it is reasonable though. For instance, Ghost of Tsushima was so fun that I just wanted an excuse to play more and accomplish everything the game had to offer.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

man nurse posted:

I think achievements are best when they incentivize you to explore or mess with mechanics that you may otherwise not. Or ones that reward something that’s actually an accomplishment, instead of the standard “collect 30 bear asses” or “progress through the game normally”. I know you have to have those to carrot and stick people through your game, though.

At the end of the day though, I’m a whore for making numbers go up and I’ve Platinumed over 20 titles. I’ll only do that if I really enjoy the game and getting it is reasonable though. For instance, Ghost of Tsushima was so fun that I just wanted an excuse to play more and accomplish everything the game had to offer.

Get through the game Achievements are great for devs to see how far people actually play their games. Collectathons tied to a ridiculous upper limit can huff a dong, though.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Evil Badman posted:

Get through the game Achievements are great for devs to see how far people actually play their games.

Yeah this is actually a really cool use of them. It's surprising and a bit depressing how many people don't finish longer games. Or sometimes even the first mission of a game - I recently finished up Battle Worlds: Kronos and the trophy for beating the first mission has only been gotten by ~18% of people.

Generally, I like there to be a good balance. IMO, ~half of them should be for regular game progression or things likely to be done naturally while progressing the story. The other half should be "stretch goals", rewarding unconventional play, non-core content, collectibles, and the like. The worst are the ones that are purely there as time sinks, the most notorious being killing A HUNDRED THOUSAND ENEMIES in Gear of War 2.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Also, to kind of separate the wheat from the chaff, I like the "weighted" tracking sites like trueachievements/truetrophies, which give higher point values to achievements/trophies that have been gotten by fewer people. It makes it feel more rewarding to get a particularly difficult trophy, even if it's at the same tier as a basic story one.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I have yet to see an achievement harder/dumber than Dead Rising 1's 5/7-day Survivor, AKA survive at least 5 days or 7 days respectively in a single infinity mode session, where your health permanently and constantly ticks down and you have to fight the survivors and scavenge for limited food all while leaving your Xbox 360 on for at least 10/14 real-life hours(IIRC one real-life hour is 12 hours in Dead Rising's time) respectively again with no saves or checkpoints in it at all.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

On the other hand, Payday 2 has at least over 1,100 separate achievements for what they're worth, and plenty of them even unlock stuff :q:

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

EorayMel posted:

I have yet to see an achievement harder/dumber than Dead Rising 1's 5/7-day Survivor, AKA survive at least 5 days or 7 days respectively in a single infinity mode session, where your health permanently and constantly ticks down and you have to fight the survivors and scavenge for limited food all while leaving your Xbox 360 on for at least 10/14 real-life hours(IIRC one real-life hour is 12 hours in Dead Rising's time) respectively again with no saves or checkpoints in it at all.

Rock Band 2 - The Bladder of Steel Award: "Complete the Endless Setlist 2 without pausing or failing."

6+ hours straight of playing an instrument, every song in the game. If you accidentally pause, like if a wireless controller disconnects, you don't get it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Want to brag about getting something difficult or 100%ing a game?

i got all the achievements in battlefied 2: modern combat some time ago

unless you have played that game's single player you cannot possibly comprehend how fuckin hard it is to get all the achievements for it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I believe my rarest achievements are still from Rise of the Tomb Raider's survival mode, which all have like a sub 1.0% completion rate but I ended up sinking a lot of time into. Very underrated DLC!

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i got all the achievements in battlefied 2: modern combat some time ago

unless you have played that game's single player you cannot possibly comprehend how fuckin hard it is to get all the achievements for it.

https://www.trueachievements.com/a17250/exemplary-achievement

123 people getting it out of over 35,000 tracked on a site for people who specifically care about achievements definitely seems like something to be proud of, yeah. How long did it take you to get that?

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

My proudest / longest is getting the platinum for Path of Exile. Took me ~250 hours total, though it probably should have taken me much longer - I got incredibly lucky with the rarest item in the game (mirror) dropping and was able to get some great equipment after selling that.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Off the top of my head, some of my best achievements in recent memory are collecting every Gwent card in Witcher 3, beating Resident Evil Remake with only the knife, no saves, and sub 3 hours, and on Final Fantasy 8’s Steam version I beat the game without leveling anyone up, which is easier than it sounds but requires some trickery.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

The only game I remember 100%ing the achievements for is Prototype 2 and solely because one of them was "beat someone else's XBOX LIVE challenge criteria 10 times" right before my subscription ran out and I didn't bother renewing it but boy did that game turn into a $60 frisbee really fast :v:

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I've never been big on getting achievements, but I like when games like Crusader Kings 2/3 have a bunch of achievements based on different challenge or concept runs of the game. They can give an interesting goal when you're not sure how you want to play.

Yes, these are the ones I like, especially the really rare ones. I have several 1% Civ6 achievements that made me play the game in very specific ways that were rewarding to achieve.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

For some reason I never really cared about achievements on Xbox, but when I switched over to PS4 I became very interested in trophy hunting. I think it might literally be that I found the little trophy pictures with the different tiers more rewarding on some deep psychological level.

Nowadays whenever I start a new game I usually look for a trophy guide just to see how easy it is to get the platinum. Then I usually try to go for it as long as there aren't any trophies based on difficulty (I'm bad at games) or multiplayer (I prefer a solo gaming experience), and at this point I'm up to 12 plats.

I think my rarest trophy is still the "It's Art" trophy from RDR2, which isn't hard to get but is virtually impossible without actively trying for it.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

EorayMel posted:

I have yet to see an achievement harder/dumber than Dead Rising 1's 5/7-day Survivor,

The zombie genocide achievement (kill 53000 zombies, ie. the population of the town the game is set in) is also pretty dumb, as you just drive in circles with a car/truck for hours. I mean I did it of course since you get the real mega blaster which can one or two hit every boss, but

Got referenced in Left 4 Dead (2?) where they one upped it with one more kill required, then Dead Rising 2 one upped that, and I think some other games did as well.

Dead Space 2 had a hardcore achievement- only three saves, second highest difficulty. That one was tough, but it gives the foam hand cannon which is crazy fun and op. I think going through w/ the hand cannon gave me more joy than the actual achievement, just for the catharsis.

Mass Effect had a bunch of achievements that basically required 3+ playthroughs of the game. Use (class specific) abilities 1 000 times, or playthrough only using certain team mates. The teammates one was also dumb for Liara, since you had to bee-line to her and ignore sidequests.

I did some of the speedrun achievements for the pc release of the Halo collection. Some of the tricks required were pretty neat!

Related, but I've been playing Age of Empires 2 Definitive, which has updated graphics, changes to the campaigns and also the 3 or 4 expansions that were released within the last few years. Yeah this 20 year old game somehow still got new content??

Anyway now there's achievements. Most of the campaign ones I've seen have been "do this fast", so no building an army out of one barracks and 10 villagers, you actually gotta boom with 3 town centers, half your population as villagers and continuously adding forward production buildings.

Or some for doing stuff not how you usually would- like destroying all enemies in a survival mission (final Saracens) or not allying with the green mongols in the first Attila mission, which somehow I'd never done in all my playthroughs as a child.

Destiny 2 has an in-game triumph system, some of which are pretty challenging and I'm proud of for getting. Like completing a raid (6 person team, can take an hour to complete) with zero deaths. Or completing a dungeon (3 person team, similar length) by yourself... with zero deaths.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 10, 2020

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Dr. Eldarion posted:

https://www.trueachievements.com/a17250/exemplary-achievement

123 people getting it out of over 35,000 tracked on a site for people who specifically care about achievements definitely seems like something to be proud of, yeah. How long did it take you to get that?

entirely too long, i worked on it on and off for 5 years. even beating the single-player campaign at all is in the top 5 hardest things I did in games during the 360 era, you die pretty much instantly in later levels. it's absurdly difficult.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Sony weirds me out sometimes.

I platinumed Far Cry 5 earlier in the week and they just sent me an email about it: "Congratulations, we always had Faith in you"

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

oh i was also the first person to get all the achievements in grand theft auto: san andreas

(that version of the game sucks get it on ps2 or original xbox)

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Nice! I don't think I've ever been the first on anything (though I was probably near the top on Path of Exile). Partly because I just don't have the dedication to sprint towards it like that, but probably mostly because I tend to wait for games to go on sale. Since I play so many, that (and reselling afterwards) helps defray the costs of my habit quite a bit.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I almost never play multiplayer shooters, but in my quest to 100% every Batman Arkham game on Steam, I played a ton of the weird Arkham Origins multiplayer, which is an asymmetrical third person shooter completely different than the main game. Two gangs following Bane and the Joker face off while another team of Batman and Robin tries to fill a “fear meter” by knocking enough of them out in varying ways without getting hit themselves before one wins. I had to join a group of people helping each other get an achievement for playing as a hero and knocking out each gang member with a different move.
-
One achievement that recently vexed me is in Brigador. There’s an achievement for causing $10 million in collateral damage. It turns out all tiles are equal, whether a patch of tall grass, a shanty, high-rise condo, or industry, and you get $100 for destroying one. If I don’t shoot for it but still cause a ton of destruction anyway, I get a few hundred thousand. The achievement is for one consecutive campaign run, not cumulative. Cash multipliers for more fragile vehicles or higher difficulty don’t affect it. So you have to choose one of the 10+ mission campaigns and tediously flatten each map, and then beat the campaign to actually get the bonus logged.

That’s what it seems like I have to do, but the Steam achievement stats show that more players have that achievement than several easier ones, including the ones for the long campaign runs almost necessary to get it. No idea what’s up with that.
An unfortunate wrinkle on my quest for this was searching for the game’s thread on Something Awful To discuss the achievement, only to find the thread had been locked for a while due to the fallout of the devs had resigned after being outed for posting straight-up Nazi poo poo on another forum.
I asked on the Steam forums, and a developer there (Pretty sure it’s not the same one as mentioned previously) suggested equipping a huge AoE artillery weapon and giving yourself infinite ammo on the dev console. That makes it much less tedious, but still pretty dang tedious, and I haven’t worked up the energy to do it. And it doesn’t explain how more people have that one than some easier ones. No one on the forums seemed to have that answer.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
On the topic of lovely collect-a-thons, I was unemployed for a while around 08-09 during the recession. During that time, I got the platinum in Saboteur on PS3.

Talk about a ridiculous map cleaning game. I would spend hours listening to early Smodcast ( Kevin Smith's original podcast ) and just cleaning up the map, breaking speakers and removing Nazi stuff from France.

As for bullshit multiplayer, I got the online trophies for Brutal Legend for winning 50 matches. I had found some random people on the forums that also liked the game and wanted to get those online trophies done before the servers were going to eventually be turned off, and we each would load into a match, and race each other to immediately conceding. I believe there was 4-6 people in our group, and we were all in voice chat, laughing when we would randomly get paired with someone not in the group and we would still instant concede.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
That reminds me of back in the day farming out TF2 achievements on a friendly server to get weapon unlocks.

I feel like thanks to stuff like that I've gotten scarily good at looking at highly specific achievement conditions and going "here's how you optimize the process so it takes five minutes instead of five hours".

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Drowning Rabbit posted:

On the topic of lovely collect-a-thons, I was unemployed for a while around 08-09 during the recession. During that time, I got the platinum in Saboteur on PS3.

Talk about a ridiculous map cleaning game. I would spend hours listening to early Smodcast ( Kevin Smith's original podcast ) and just cleaning up the map, breaking speakers and removing Nazi stuff from France.

As for bullshit multiplayer, I got the online trophies for Brutal Legend for winning 50 matches. I had found some random people on the forums that also liked the game and wanted to get those online trophies done before the servers were going to eventually be turned off, and we each would load into a match, and race each other to immediately conceding. I believe there was 4-6 people in our group, and we were all in voice chat, laughing when we would randomly get paired with someone not in the group and we would still instant concede.

That reminds me and a buddy on steam doing some of the dumb payday 2 achievements, like revive 50 teammates while wearing a specific match, and a good hour in the evening spent going to a parking lot and shooting rockets at each other before helping the other back up :allears: because gently caress trying to do that in regular play

You could probably make a thread entirely out of only that game's achievements

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I just got back in WoW after a long time away. Scrolling through the achievements, there is something called Loremaster. Basically its completing what seems to be every quest in the drat game, across all the zones. I completed two zones over the past few days and it gave me a strong appreciation for the Loremaster title.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Hughmoris posted:

I just got back in WoW after a long time away. Scrolling through the achievements, there is something called Loremaster. Basically its completing what seems to be every quest in the drat game, across all the zones. I completed two zones over the past few days and it gave me a strong appreciation for the Loremaster title.

It used to be just ~>90% of the quests in each zone. Before Cataclysm reordered the vanilla zones have mostly self-contained, they had two achievements for doing a huge amount of quests across each continent. Recently, they were changed to just require you to finish the major storylines of each zone.
-
A real crazy achievement is What a Long Strange Trip It's Been, requiring you to get almost every holiday achievement, made more desirable because it rewarded the Purple Proto-Drake mount.
At the time achievements were added, pretty much every player could get eventually get enough gold for an epic flying mount that increased your speed by 280%. However there were some very rare mounts that would give you 310%. These were rewards for being one of the top .5% of arena players in a season, raid meta achievements that required you to do something challenging during each boss in a raid (This was before the in-game group finder or cross-server raiding was added), or some super rare drops from raid bosses. The Purple Proto-Drake was one of these mounts. It wasn't just a source of dumb prestige, it had actual in-game benefits!

Each of the eight holidays lasted for a one or two-week period, and there were several achievements in each, often requiring you to travel to all corners of the world across the original game and the two expansions that were up at the time. One of these achievements, which was removed early on from the meta criteria, itself took a whole year. You had to buy a Brew of the Month Club membership during the Oktoberfest parody holiday, and drink the brew they sent you each month. There was another achievement removed from the meta, in which you had to collect each of the Halloween masks. Too many masks with too few opportunities to randomly get them.

Now, there's a buy-able skill that just raises the flight speed on all flying mounts to 310%, but before this, if you were at all casual, this year-long endeavor was pretty much the only way to get a 310% mount.
-
One dumb thing I did instead of bettering myself or having fun with real friends was getting the fishing meta achievement, which awarded me the title "Salty" to affix to my character name. It required you to fish up a few extremely rare things and win a weekly fishing contest, meaning 52 people on each server could get this title per year, which was a source of salt among the player base. They changed that so you no longer have to be the first-place winner, just the top 3 IIRC.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 12, 2020

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Dr Christmas posted:

WoW achievements...

Yeah, that grind is hardcore and you're hardcore for getting that Salty title.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Saboteur 100% buddy :hfive:

I did it on the 360, looking back at the achievements now...

quote:

Complete 239 ambient freeplay in Paris Area 3
Complete 425 ambient freeplay in the countryside
Complete 212 ambient freeplay in Paris Area 2
Complete 333 ambient freeplay in Paris Area 1
Complete 76 ambient freeplay in Le Havre
Complete 53 ambient freeplay in Saarbrucken

Yeesh.

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Earlier in the week a friend and I spent a couple hours throwing shovels at each other in Far Cry 5 to get multiplayer trophies. At some point some pubbies joined and it actually became a pretty ridiculous fun time in a tiny arena with 6 people just throwing shovels at each other dodgeball style.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

John Murdoch posted:

I feel like thanks to stuff like that I've gotten scarily good at looking at highly specific achievement conditions and going "here's how you optimize the process so it takes five minutes instead of five hours".

Yeah, this is an important skill. Or figuring out what you should try to get done during the campaign, what you should save until afterwards, etc. Things like "get 50 kills with every weapon" are super annoying to grind out after you've spent 30 campaign hours using only your preferred ones.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Dr Christmas posted:

More WoW stuff

I went hard in doing those WoW achievements when I still played retail. It got triggered when the top achievement-haver and fellow Warrior guildie whispered me out of the blue that I'd never pass him in achievement points.

I ended up in the top ten on my server by the end of Mists of Pandora and ahead of him :smuggo:

The absolute worst one was The Seat of Acknowledge. Where you had to collect all 20 of the ultra rare pristine artifacts from the archeology job on Pandora. I never took the Seeker of Acknowledge title off.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

exquisite tea posted:

I believe my rarest achievements are still from Rise of the Tomb Raider's survival mode, which all have like a sub 1.0% completion rate but I ended up sinking a lot of time into. Very underrated DLC!

Some of Control's achievements are tied to its new DLC so I've been running into stuff like "Kill 25 of [reasonably common enemy] - 0.8% completion rate :smug:"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I also have every achievement on PS4... :negative:

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Definitely no shame in that, Horizon is an absolutely fantastic game.

I just have the base platinum, didn't do the NG+ update ones. Was the NG+ ultra hard playthrough super difficult? I know in some games NG+ can end up being much easier than regular playthroughs, even with an upgraded difficulty, but then sometimes the benefits still aren't enough to counteract it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

You’re not alone, I’ve gotten the plat for Final Fantasy 15 and then went and did all the achievements again when it came out on PC. I really liked that game.