Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If you go to that reddit thread its just that guy saying he likes playing mario and people losing their minds at him

Smash ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

poe meater posted:

The discussion is actually quite mind boggling to read through lol. For an old competitive game I'm surprised there's so much agreement on avoiding players of certain characters. Like straight up disconnecting before the match starts.
If anything it seems like it being older is why theyre so grumpy about playing against characters outside the top 8

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I reverse image searched that to find the origin and found a tweet thread where a guy was comparing playing Mario to playing with items on. It's illegitimate to play Mario. In Super Smash Brothers.

It will never not be hilarious how poorly suited Smash is to competitive play and how sweaty it makes people nonetheless

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

You can find it on the ssbm subreddit its from like 2 days ago

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

"You're more than welcome to play Mario and M'lady it up with your gannon buds"

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Endorph posted:

You can find it on the ssbm subreddit its from like 2 days ago

I didn't know how long ago it would have been and I was trying to do you the courtesy of assuming you weren't the one who downvoted it, lmao

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Getting hit on by all the PUAs at the bar saying, mamma mia, here i go. When will it stop???

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arist posted:

I didn't know how long ago it would have been and I was trying to do you the courtesy of assuming you weren't the one who downvoted it, lmao
im not....

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
did the melee community manifest ranked online play for themselves at some point

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Endorph posted:

im not....

yeah that's what I meant

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the only cool thing to happen in melee is amsa winning with yoshi and near as i can tell its because everyone just sort of decided yoshi sucked without even attempting to learn him

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's the unholy union of the FGC and Nintendo Adults

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

flatluigi posted:

did the melee community manifest ranked online play for themselves at some point

yea they made a special version of a gc emulator with matchmaking integrated

its legitimately cool as far as tech goes

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.

Endorph posted:

the only cool thing to happen in melee is amsa winning with yoshi and near as i can tell its because everyone just sort of decided yoshi sucked without even attempting to learn him

I've definitely seen people saying playing low tiers is disrespectful because they can't practice against them.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Eeevil posted:

Why do leverless controllers default to putting jump on your thumb rather than your pinky? Doesn't putting it on the thumb force you do a claw hand constantly?

If you want to TK an air special, or do it as soon as possible in the air, you can input the motion on the down and side buttons with your left hand and then press jump with your right thumb before using a right hand finger to press whatever button activates the move in the air. This is, I think, the original big use case for having a jump button either hand can press.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
People get weird as hell about low tiers in general, you just need a high enough sample size of people to see it. I always thought it was funny how in the early days of FGC meta people used to joke that the only ones who care about characters tiers are tryhards but then it turns out, no, casuals love tiers, they're literally obsessed with them over anything else.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Thirsty Dog posted:

It's a pretty weak finger.

secret trick to increase your average finger strength: cut off your pinky finger

it's a shameful finger fit only for the least useful of button macros, not the up button

Veev posted:

I've definitely seen people saying playing low tiers is disrespectful because they can't practice against them.

are they not getting practice against low tiers when people play them???

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

TGLT posted:

It's weakness to consider any match as though it is not tournament grand finals, therefore they can never be practice.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.

TGLT posted:

Well no one good plays them, so that's not practice.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

STOP WITH THE KILLMONGER DREADS ALREADY

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

TGLT posted:

It always goes back to this image

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

no genuinely in melee the low tiers just do not exist. this isnt like even, idk, 3rd strike, where there are occasional q or remy low tier warriors. they just literally do not exist. heres the top 100 of the most recent big melee tournament's character representation. how many of that character there were, and the highest position they got

fox: 28 (1st)
yoshi: 2 (2nd)
marth: 14 (3rd)
sheik: 13 (5th)
falcon: 7 (7th)
jigglypuff: 8 (7th)
falco: 17 (9th)
pikachu: 1 (9th)
ice climbers: 1 (17th)
peach: 6 (17th)
dk: 1 (25th)
luigi: 1 (49th)

heres the most recent melee tier list

of the top 100 only 5 people were playing anything outside the top 8 characters in the game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and yoshi and pikachu are in the same tier as ice climbers so if you dont want to count them there's literally only two guys playing actual low tiers.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
But why? Are new players only playing top tier? I thought with the introduction of good netplay there would be more new players and more varied characters. More new tech to discover or whatever.

And I would imagine netplay would have a more wide variety of character choices compared to offline play. But maybe not haha.

It's really funny to see so much disdain against low AND mid tiers. It's cracking me up

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

melee has the extremely odd mix of being both very fast in a second-to-second sense but also being very slow and grinding in a match-match sense. it is very hard for a bowser or a ganondorf to scam wins with their power because they have to kill the opponent four whole times. they can usually scam a ko or two but they are unable to even get in or consistently trade with the top tiers due to the absolutely massive gap in speed and neutral tools. likewise a character like mario can, to an extent, play the game, but he lacks killing power. this would be fine if he only had to kill the opponent once, but in a game where he has to kill them four times, hes basically inevitably going to lose the damage race. combine that with most of the lower tiers, even 'heavyweights' like ganondorf and bowser, having pretty bad recovery, meaning they actually die more quickly than most other characters.

the ruleset and metagame are uniquely suited to grind out anyone outside the top tier characters. falcon is both fast and can kill extremely early, he can actually scam out wins in a flashy fashion. fox absolutely dominates neutral and has decent killing power. there's just no real room for low tiers to compete.

compare this to a traditional fighting game. if you look at 3rd strike, q is pretty starved for strong neutral tools, but hes compensated by having fairly high damage and extremely high health (if he can get his taunts off) and a few decent buttons. he can get wins if he picks his spots carefully, and he usually at least has enough time to try and find those chances.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 30, 2024

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Arist posted:

I reverse image searched that to find the origin and found a tweet thread where a guy was comparing playing Mario to playing with items on. It's illegitimate to play Mario. In Super Smash Brothers.

early in smash43ds you could get kicked from online if you were playing peach/daisy and used the turnip move because they were just coded as 'items' and the servers thought you were trying to hack items into non-item modes

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

poe meater posted:

But why? Are new players only playing top tier? I thought with the introduction of good netplay there would be more new players and more varied characters. More new tech to discover or whatever.

And I would imagine netplay would have a more wide variety of character choices compared to offline play. But maybe not haha.

It's really funny to see so much disdain against low AND mid tiers. It's cracking me up

It does not even remotely surprise me that Smash grognards are so unpleasant to anyone that dares step out of a decades old meta that they get shunned like plague carriers.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Tortolia posted:

It does not even remotely surprise me that Smash grognards are so unpleasant to anyone that dares step out of a decades old meta that they get shunned like plague carriers.

it's literally the case for every game people play online competitively, there's nothing new about smash players doing it

edit: actually just read endorph's very good post

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

flatluigi posted:

it's literally the case for every game people play online competitively, there's nothing new about smash players doing it

No that was about why those characters are bad. Smash is the only case I know of where someone picking low tier isn't met with "What do they know? Let's see how this shakes out" and people getting hype if the low tier hero wins. People would lose it if you saw a Bedman or Ladiva or whatever in grand finals.

Even if you want to say just online ranked, hey free win is the worst people get.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

chumbler posted:

No that was about why those characters are bad. Smash is the only case I know of where someone picking low tier isn't met with "What do they know? Let's see how this shakes out" and people getting hype if the low tier hero wins. People would lose it if you saw a Bedman or Ladiva or whatever in grand finals.

Yeah, the original poster in question here wasn't wondering why he was having a hard time winning games, he was wondering why he wasn't getting to play games.

I get a little bit of this in Tekken 8 since I play the second least popular character in the game and I get my share of one and dones from people ostensibly not wanting to deal with the knowledge check factor of it all, but people aren't plugging the moment they see Zafina's face on the load screen either.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

flatluigi posted:

uhhhh my post was just about why the meta is the way it is. thats normal. harassing and insulting people for daring to play a low tier anyway is, not normal. its one thing in team games where theres the excuse of it making your team less likely to win but ive never see anyone complain about going up against a low tier warrior in any traditional fighting game, beyond 'ugh i dont know the matchup' or 'ugh that move is cheap' type stuff. ive never seen anyone act like their time was actively being wasted. that bit is weird.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Part of the appeal of picking up Melee is the defined meta and the like mechanical depth compared to other smash games, except that depth is not so much available to the low tiers. So I am not suprised there's a bunch of people who probably got into Melee because of that narrative of why its cool, who think people playing the game not directly for those reasons are trolls playing wrong on purpose to piss them off.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
the melee scene has always been really bad for whatever reason too. combine that with an online client where dcing doesn't affect anything and you can see how they got here

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I can sorta relate to rolling your eyes at the guy who pretends to be like an Amingo main or another quirky answer like Leopaldon but those posts are still insane.

mycot fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 30, 2024

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
i used to main amingo :(

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Where do the Anre mains fall in this conversation?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

chumbler posted:

Where do the Anre mains fall in this conversation?

It depends on if they call him Uno or not.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mycot posted:

I can sorta relate to rolling your eyes at the guy who pretends to be like an Amingo main or another quirky answer like Leopaldon but those posts are still insane.
people played amingo tho, he isnt even that bad relative to a lot of the lower tiers in MVC2. hes playableish

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Endorph posted:

people played amingo tho, he isnt even that bad relative to a lot of the lower tiers in MVC2. hes playableish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
that post is wild but where does "fedora warrior' or w/e actually come from, id have thought it was just an awkward way of calling someone a redditor but uh, they're on reddit. i guess people here use goon as an insult