Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Sydin posted:

Looking like the Cubs Rockies game will be able to happen today, but by game start the real feel is going to be 34 and dropping fast. Getting flashbacks to that game they played against the Braves years ago where it was so cold nobody could throw a strike and the Cubs ended up coming back from like a 10 run deficit.

The only MLB game I've ever left early. I probably could have stuck it out, but my dad was having a really bad time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

euphronius posted:

Real feel is fake and doesn’t exist so don’t worry

Wind Chill is real

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wind chill is not real becuase humans wear clothes when it’s cold. It’s just sensationalist garbage from capitalist media

I suppose if you are like doing some extreme naked mountain climbing wind chill could be a factor. It’s not a factor if you are wearing multiple layers in a crowded baseball stadium

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

euphronius posted:

Wind chill is not real becuase humans wear clothes when it’s cold. It’s just sensationalist garbage from capitalist media

I suppose if you are like doing some extreme naked mountain climbing wind chill could be a factor. It’s not a factor if you are wearing multiple layers in a crowded baseball stadium

I suppose next you're gonna tell us humidity doesn't do anything.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Wind chill is absolutely real. Yes the temperature isn't physically colder but if wind is moving air around more rapidly you're going to lose body heat if you're not entirely bundled up.

I guess if you're in a completely still air room then you're correct windchill doesn't matter.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

euphronius posted:

I guess a goon who's never actually left the house isn't the most surprising thing in the world.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

No that is someone more real since you can’t do much to defeat humidity obviously (while outside)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I have the opposite friend, who believes in wind chill but says the heat index is fake

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Popete posted:

Wind chill is absolutely real. Yes the temperature isn't physically colder but if wind is moving air around more rapidly you're going to lose body heat if you're not entirely bundled up.

So wear clothes ?? A jacket ? Gloves and a hat

Yes if you do not properly prepare for cold weather it will feel cold out

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

euphronius posted:

No that is someone more real since you can’t do much to defeat humidity obviously (while outside)

Look at this dumbass that's never worn a stillsuit.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ok sure but people don't always wear enough layers for one reason or another and thus wind chill matters.

Also even with layers that doesn't mean all heat is perfectly trapped.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Maybe but you don’t even know if the seat you will be will exposed to any wind (assuming you showed up to a night game in April wearing a bathing suit or whatever )

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

euphronius posted:

So by this argument temperature isn't real. Just put on more/less clothes and you'll be fine. Like tell me you've never lived in Chicago without telling me etc etc

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

Maybe but you don’t even know if the seat you will be will exposed to any wind

I'm not sure what you're arguing here. You started by saying wind chill isn't real and now it's if you take steps to negate wind chill than you won't feel the effect of wind chill which is not the same thing as it not existing.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Wind chill is something we deal with for 5 months of the year.

Humidity for the other 7.

But baseball? That torture lasts year round if youre a Blue Jays fan.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Temperature is very real. Not understanding your argument

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Popete posted:

I'm not sure what you're arguing here. You started by saying wind chill isn't real and now it's if you take steps to negate wind chill than you won't feel the effect of wind chill which is not the same thing as it not existing.

If you don’t wear any clothes then yes wind chill is real

I said that in my first post

However that is not a real situation for 999.999999% of the cases “real feel” is sensationally used is. It’s actually worse then just telling people the temperature. It’s misinformation

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Wind chill describes an effect on apparent temperature, it's useful because it tells humans if they should bundle up more or less to mitigate that effect.

If you've never stood on top of a windy L train platform versus at ground level it's very noticeable even if you're wearing a jacket and winter hat/gloves.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The whole point of knowing the temperature is knowing how to dress, and if how you dress is the definitive variable to whether wind chill is real or not, sounds like knowing the wind chill is important.

"Wind chill is fake, it just tells you how much to bundle up."

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

euphronius posted:

However that is not a real situation for 999.999999% of the cases “real feel” is sensationally used is. It’s actually worse then just telling people the temperature. It’s misinformation

Touch grass, preferably when it's cold and windy out.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

euphronius posted:

Temperature is very real. Not understanding your argument

Cold wind blows heat (in the form of trapped warm air) away from the body. It also has the effect of cooling exposed surfaces, such as skin, by heat transference. The more wind there is, therefore, the colder humans (and other objects) will get, even though the temperature is in fact the same. This phenomenon is known as wind chill and every five year old living above the Mason Dixon line understands it intuitively

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
And I don't just mean actually cold I mean low realfeel too!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If you are naked yes . Yes wind chill exists if you aren’t wearing clothes. We all agree hooray we can move on

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

euphronius posted:

I don't use real feel, but I always note temp and wind for the same effect. 55 degrees is pretty okay. 55 degrees and 25mph winds gets loving cold loving fast.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

If you are naked yes . Yes wind chill exists if you aren’t wearing clothes. We all agree hooray we can move on

So wearing a t-shirt has as much of an effect of cancelling out wind chill as wearing a parka? Good to know!

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Furnaceface posted:

Wind chill is something we deal with for 5 months of the year.

Humidity for the other 7.

But baseball? That torture lasts year round if youre a Blue Jays fan.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

If there's wind chill every other day, that's 8 windchills in 2 weeks

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I am moving back to baseball

I think Bryce Harper is hurt again

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/DanaONeilWriter/status/1775119632283607193

Gambling is the thief of joy, right now we have two low stakes scandals (Ippei and the Raptors guy) which should serve as an early warning to the leagues to manage this problem but they aren't gonna. (The article is about some equipment manager-tierr 5th year senior hitting a garbage time 3 to let Purdue win by 28. But the spread was 27.) You have NBA players openly accusing refs of point shaving right now, this is even easier for umpires to do. We will have a huge umpire betting scandal within five years on the current path, I believe. This is also key to baseball because the greatest scandal in the sports history was fixing games for betting purposes. Can you imagine if the Black Sox thing happened now, in the current media environment? You could never trust sports again. Even now when a dude starts raking out of nowhere I have to be like "is he on the juice?" because of the 2000s.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

All of the leagues plans are for even more gambling and making gambling even more of a center piece of the experience

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/DanaONeilWriter/status/1775119632283607193

Gambling is the thief of joy, right now we have two low stakes scandals (Ippei and the Raptors guy) which should serve as an early warning to the leagues to manage this problem but they aren't gonna. (The article is about some equipment manager-tierr 5th year senior hitting a garbage time 3 to let Purdue win by 28. But the spread was 27.) You have NBA players openly accusing refs of point shaving right now, this is even easier for umpires to do. We will have a huge umpire betting scandal within five years on the current path, I believe. This is also key to baseball because the greatest scandal in the sports history was fixing games for betting purposes. Can you imagine if the Black Sox thing happened now, in the current media environment? You could never trust sports again. Even now when a dude starts raking out of nowhere I have to be like "is he on the juice" because of the 2000s.

Yes but have you considered it makes rich people more money and this is good, actually? Why do you hate economic growth???

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
An umpire scandal is both super easy and kind of hard. Because of the nature of baseball even if you intentionally ring up the best hitter on a ball and immediately toss him when he says something that won't stop the light hitting shortstop being ninth from hitting a fluke 325 walk off down the line off the pole

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Sure but fouling out an NBA team's best scorer also doesn't stop some bench scrub from inexplicably going off either. It's not about guaranteeing a particular betting outcome, just putting enough pressure on that it tips scales in the favor of that outcome.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The high variance in baseball only makes it more attractive to degenerate gamblers.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The league offices take direct control of games in all the three major sports. It’s the most corrupt thing imaginable hahah. Game in the line in the nba? Better call the league office to see what they want to happen. This has been normalized

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

euphronius posted:

dude you pick the weirdest hills to die on

in this case you're arguing with basic thermodynamics

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Sydin posted:

Sure but fouling out an NBA team's best scorer also doesn't stop some bench scrub from inexplicably going off either. It's not about guaranteeing a particular betting outcome, just putting enough pressure on that it tips scales in the favor of that outcome.

Feels like baseball is way more random though. Hell I remember every year Jake Marisnick would have MVP numbers for 3 weeks then revert to the .230 BA .600 OPS player he was always meant to be

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

zoux posted:

The high variance in baseball only makes it more attractive to degenerate gamblers.

I'm talking about fixing games though. Even paying off the ump seems like a somewhat high risk prospect since you have to pay them enough to risk a high paying job with extremely high job security when it's so easy for random poo poo to ruin your entire wager

And any bet of that size on a single game would immediately draw suspicion

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

Feels like baseball is way more random though. Hell I remember every year Jake Marisnick would have MVP numbers for 3 weeks then revert to the .230 BA .600 OPS player he was always meant to be

Sure but doesn't baseball also have a lot more little microbets? Like I'm pretty sure you can put bets on a particular AB's outcome, and that's definitely something an umpire could have a massively outsized influence on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Sydin posted:

Sure but doesn't baseball also have a lot more little microbets? Like I'm pretty sure you can put bets on a particular AB's outcome, and that's definitely something an umpire could have a massively outsized influence on.

That I couldn't tell you, I don't gamble. Betting on a single AB seems pretty drat degenerate lol

And betting on an out seems like it'd have terrible odds yet is the only thing an ump can really control (or a walk I guess)