Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

qirex posted:

people typically drive rental cars like they stole them, seems like that’s unwise in a car with full torque from a stop

youd really think hertz would have had tesla put 0-60 caps on them or something lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Not a Children posted:

Never been in one but I didn't expect it to look so cheap

seriously it's unbelievably lovely lmao

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
do most crossovers have seatbacks with those little pouches? i've only seen something like that on a plane

in coach

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That's a lil multi layered joke for you all. You can probably guess that a lot of hardware on light aircraft is totally exposed like that so as not to waste weight on trim pieces. But also that era of Cessnas had a major flaw with their seat rails that could cause the seat to come unlocked when you pitched down, causing you to slide forwards and ram your feet into the rudder pedals which could induce a spin and then maybe you would die. Like a Tesla!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Jonny 290 posted:

youd really think hertz would have had tesla put 0-60 caps on them or something lol

they don't accelerate at full torque from a stop. the model 3 at least accelerates like a (relatively quick) car, the pedal isn't that sensitive. to get to 0-60 in its minimum time i think you'd have to floor it

which, yeah i get people do in rental cars. but it said they'd get into accidents where e.g. a side mirror would need to be replaced (and that they couldn't get parts for, lol), which doesn't really sound to me like it was from someone going too fast. they probably just couldn't use the stupid rear end yoke

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
for comparison, heres the rear seats in an actual luxury car, 750iL

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

everything even slightly expensive in teslas was scrapped and/or sent to lowest bidder suppliers years ago

boethius
Jul 10, 2001

Space bunnies have three ears

Jonny 290 posted:

sure but how many bullets can that take?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

quote:

Q. Okay. So if I'm the first reader of this tweet, I wouldn't know if you saw something from Dr. Frensor or Matt Wallace or somebody else? I wouldn't know, would I?

MR. SPIRO: Objection to form. It's not a proper question.

A. I guess I decline to answer on advice of counsel.

MR. BANKSTON: Are you instructing him not to answer?

MR. SPIRO: No. I mean, if he understands the question, he can answer it. It's not a proper question -- (Internet interruption.)

MR. BANKSTON: Look, there's no need for the commentary about if questions are proper or if they're not. That's not necessary. You know it's not necessary. You know the only reason to do it would be to influence the witness.

So if you have an instruction not to answer, go ahead and give it. If you have an objection, go ahead and give it, but as far as commentary to the witness, it's not necessary.

MR. SPIRO: No, sir. It's not - I just told the witness he can answer. There's nothing about me commenting that all of these hypothetical what if I saw this, what if I saw that questions are not proper questions. I'm surprised you don't know they're not proper questions so --

MR. BANKSTON: Everything you're saying --

MR. SPIRO: Can I finish? I'm making my record. So the reason I'm making that comment is to sort of try to signal to you that if you ask nine out of 10 improper questions, eventually you're going to get an objection from me, and maybe just ask proper questions.

There's nothing about me saying that that changes what he's going to answer. That's not how witness coaching works. I'm surprised you don't know that.

So in any event, all I said was that's not a proper question. It's not a proper question. Any judge reviewing this will tell you it's not a proper question, and if he can answer, he can answer.

MR. BANKSTON: All right. Again, I'm going to ask you again to obey Rule 199.5 because nothing about what you're doing is proper and you know that.

So I'm going to ask him the question again --

MR. SPIRO: We disagree.

MR. BANKSTON: -- and if he can understand it, then he'll answer it, okay?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

boethius posted:

sure but how many bullets can that take?

the Protection models from back in the day - a lot

https://www.thedrive.com/news/5878/bulletproof-bmw-used-to-rescue-dozens-during-isis-attack

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

quote:

Q. (BY MR. BANKSTON) Okay. If you knew right now -- knowing right now Ben is really upset that this tweet is still up and that he wanted there to be a retraction, how do you feel about that?

MR. SPIRO: Objection to form. How you feel about it? How is that -- how you feel about it, how is that relevant --

MR. BANKSTON: Mr. Spiro --

MR. SPIRO: - now to the four deposition topics? We're on, I guess, topic four. We've addressed one through three. How is that relevant to four?

MR. BANKSTON: Because in Gonzalez vs. Hearst Corp., 930 S.W.2nd 275, a refusal to print a retraction is evidence of an action after the publication, but it can lend support to a claim that reckless disregard or knowledge existed at the time of publication.

Similarly, in New Times vs. Issacks, Texas Supreme Court 2004, 146 S.W.3rd 144, refusal to retract an exposed error tends to support a finding of actual malice, and conversely, a readiness to retract tends to negate actual malice.

So again, I'll pose my question --

MR. SPIRO: Yeah, I'll look at those cases but he's not answering that right now. I don't see the relevance. I don't think those cases -- I'm pretty confident those cases are not directly on point so I'll review the cases so we can respond further.

MR. BANKSTON: All right. Next time I'd appreciate it if you showed up in a deposition with a Texas lawyer who had an understanding of Texas law of actual malice.

MR. SPIRO: Okay. You keep filing these silly, frivolous shake-down cases, l'lI -- I'll keep trying to think of Texas lawyers to bring to your depositions.

MR. BANKSTON: Mr. Musk, I will tell you I'm trying to be as civil as I can in this deposition with you and your attorney. I'd appreciate it - these random, insulting, professionally demeaning really have no place here.

MR. SPIRO: You just did the same thing and I responded in kind, so keep moving with the deposition. You're running out of time.

MR. BANKSTON: You think that's what happened here.

MR. SPIRO: I know this is your big day in the sun. You're running out of time.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Cat Face Joe posted:

everything even slightly expensive in teslas was scrapped and/or sent to lowest bidder suppliers years ago

are they still using off the shelf parts for other vehicles? i know there was a bunch of weird bmw parts like headrests for a time

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

well, asking "i wouldn't know, would i?" could be interpreted as asking for his opinion, which wouldn't be allowed normally. might be different in texas though

...!
Oct 5, 2003

quote:

Q. Is there anyone with the authority to say about a piece of data at Twitter, to say to you, no, Mr. Musk, you can't have that or you can't share that with anyone?

MR. SPIRO: Objection to form. And, again, I'm going to ask again, what is the possible relevance of this to the single tweet that we're here on in a defamation case? Can you just explain that to me?

MR. BANKSTON: Sure. Because when he was confronted with -- again, this is kind of bizarre that I'm explaining this in front of your witness, but if he was confronted with information that made him maybe want to go suggest that, hey, maybe this college student was involved in this brawl, if he had access to people who were able to tell him or give him more data about this and he has that authority, I need to know what --

MR. SPIRO: You're saying that if he -- your point is that he had other avenues to investigate this?

MR. BANKSTON: That he deliberately ignored, correct.

MR. SPIRO: I think it's an objectionable question, but I'll let him answer it.

what a lawyer

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

rotor posted:

im the plain exposed metal slides & mechanisms for the front seats

imo this is the only real crime there, most cars just have nothing or vents between the seats there. if there is a cupholder it might be in a center armrest the folds down. still looks kinda poo poo for a car that costs forty four thousand earth dollars though.

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

hell they couldn't even get any discount off the retail price, tesla certainly isn't going to do any customization work

they probably made 'em order off the website too lol

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Chris Knight posted:

I'm all in favour of regulations to limit EV acceleration

All cars should have strict power limits so that the only way you can go fast is to have as light and small of a car as possible.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Jonny 290 posted:

What, from all you've seen of how Tesla designs and build products, gives you the idea they have the capacity or inclination to put developer effort into something like this?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

he's being a poo poo even when elon's not there to see it, so i think it's just his personality

quote:

Q. Okay. I want to ask you about another statement. I want to ask you about some statements that are quoted to you or attributed to you in Walter Issacson's book because I want to make sure that they're accurately attributed to you. And so I want to take a look at a couple of things that were said in Issacson's book. Can we bring up Tab W?

MR. SPIRO: Yeah, I'm -- again, I'm going to not allow this. This is -- how this has to do with state of mind on June 27th, 2023, I'm not going to allow this.

MR. BANKSTON: Mr. Spiro --

MR. WALTERS: Move on to another subject.

MR. BANKSTON: -- it's literally him describing his state of mind for how he approaches these tweets. I don't understand why this quote that we have here in front of us --

MR. SPIRO: Okay. You want to ask him if he said this?

MR. BANKSTON: Yes, that's all I'm asking. Yea, that's it. I mean, I'm not - it's about his state of mind in tweeting.

MR. SPIRO: Well, I'm not so sure. The state of mind cases, I don't know in every count in Texas, but typically do not allow things that happen nontemporarily.

MR. BANKSTON: I mean, I just quoted you the law that says that's not true and you can absolutely --

MR. SPIRO: Okay. Ask him the question.

MR. BANKSTON: Yeah, let's just go -

THE VIDEOGRAPHER: Excuse me. Mr. Musk just logged off or got kicked off or something. He's no longer on the Zoom.

MR. BANKSTON: Do you want to take a break real quick and see if we can get him back on?

MR. SPIRO: Yeah, Mark. That's fine.

MR. BANKSTON: I was going to take a break in an hour but I figured we can just take a break right now if you want to do that. Do you want to take 20 minutes?

MR. SPIRO: No. I mean, I don't think we need 20 minutes, Mark. I mean, we're almost done.

MR. BANKSTON: The problem is I'm not trying to be difficult here. I'm really not. The water main broke in our building today so to go use the restroom, I have to walk down the street.

MR. SPIRO: Well, okay. That's a real thing. We'll be back in 10. Hopefully you're back in 10. If you are back in 13, no one's going to be alarmed, but l'm going to try to make it a 10 minute break.

MR. BANKSTON: I understand. You don't need to keep communicating your feelings on the ridiculousness of the endeavor I'm currently engaged in.

MR. SPIRO: Well, it's also a short deposition so whether even needing a break is -- I don't know it's necessary but okay, let's do it. 10 minutes.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

*Elon thumps top of car making a hollow plastic sounding clunk* when this baby hits 1488 miles an hour I'm gonna tweet some stupid poo poo

...! posted:

what a lawyer

this bit's great because it goes on to have banksman directly reference the whole twitter files thing as "so you're saying you don't have access to internal data e.g. like the stuff you got access to and published?"

Gubbinal Girl
Apr 11, 2022

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

are they still using off the shelf parts for other vehicles? i know there was a bunch of weird bmw parts like headrests for a time

I know they're using Ethernet cables for data and low voltage power in the Cybertruk

https://www.cybertruckownersclub.com/forum/threads/wiring-genius-48v-power-data-can-bus.10254/ posted:

Instead, they're running gigabit ethernet cabling with a 48v power + data CAN bus to every component— all on the same cable.

Instead of running one wiring harness to the driver door speaker, and another to the driver's door window motor, they can daisy-chain them together on the same self-contained cable interface. Your computer could connect to your door handle using the *same* wire that's already been through your speaker, window, ambient lights, and steering wheel.

Each of those devices/components listen to the continuous stream of data for a command relevant to its operation.

Edit: just saw you meant parts from other cars.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

deposition: musk admits to just reposting everything that confirms his views and he knows this is probably bad in the long run but doesn't care

elon today: the CIA stole alex jones' money and did jan 6

https://x.com/elonmusk/status/1777740355158299104

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Luigi Thirty posted:

deposition: musk admits to just reposting everything that confirms his views and he knows this is probably bad in the long run but doesn't care

elon today: the CIA stole alex jones' money and did jan 6

https://x.com/elonmusk/status/1777740355158299104

every tweet is a single word non-opinion. no wonder he got perma’d from SA

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

look it says right there: sound Investigations, people can't just lie on the internet,we should take this at face value then let's see what community notes' think, it's true until they say otherwise.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

that is literally his argument in the deposition btw

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

*Elon thumps top of car making a hollow plastic sounding clunk* when this baby hits 1488 miles an hour I'm gonna tweet some stupid poo poo

this bit's great because it goes on to have banksman directly reference the whole twitter files thing as "so you're saying you don't have access to internal data e.g. like the stuff you got access to and published?"

Lol and his eventual response was "oh no it would be illegal if I did that".

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

and in that don lemon interview where he's like "but if it's not true why are all my followers telling me it is????"

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

Got nothin on the Toyota Century

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
want me one of those lol

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lmao drat they brought it back for $170k

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Megabound posted:

Got nothin on the Toyota Century

not saying its the best one yeh, century is cheating

sometimes they float around for 20ish k and i think about getting one but i gotta have a garage first. buyin my weekly powerball.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

mediaphage posted:

lmao drat they brought it back for $170k

guh why would they do that and not just re release the original? It was already perfect.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
idk why you'd buy a century, they're entirely built for the guy who gets to sit in the back seat.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
like from the drivers POV its a nice Camry

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

next step is "okay, so it wasn't true. But can you imagine if it was? The fact that it sounds so true to morons really makes you think."

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rotor posted:

idk why you'd buy a century

i really enjoy getting into random conversations with old dudes at gas stations

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

next step is "okay, so it wasn't true. But can you imagine if it was? The fact that it sounds so true to morons really makes you think."

Many such cases.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

rotor posted:

like from the drivers POV its a nice Camry

if i had to work in the car a lot i could see it probably. drive around then do poo poo in the back seat lol

back when i still did field work regularly i used to dream about the terranaut becoming reality haha

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm over here! I'm Kim Kardashian!