Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

Okay, game is downloading once more, nearly six years since i last played. What's the plan, do I just follow the Wabbajack guide?

If you found a Wabbajack modlist you liked, then yeah. Just make sure you read the pre-installation section very carefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Tankbuster posted:

did you build them in bodyslide?

Nah, clear install. I grabbed the bodyslide mod but I haven’t played with it. All mods off, just cbbe and I get the glitch, take it out, no glitch. Wondering if it’s just a prewar thing but I’d think that’d come up as a know bug or something.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Well, that is why it is broken.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
You have to build all the things in bodyslide.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ThaumPenguin posted:

If you found a Wabbajack modlist you liked, then yeah. Just make sure you read the pre-installation section very carefully.

Before doing this I'm trying out the Midnight Ride installation guide with the baseline bugfixes. If I don't like it I can just create a new MO2 profile and use it for Wabbajack, yes?

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Most Wabbajack lists will just use their own portable instance of MO2.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It comes with 'vanilla' clothing packs for the main game and DLC, that's not compatible clothes?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
what is Wabbajack? I've only ever used Mod Organizer/Script Extender for modding. From the context it sounds like something to automate and streamline the process of mod management and downloads?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, it's basically an automated tool that can pull down predefined lists of mods and automatically install them all to a private little folder & Mod Organizer instance. Then when ask the scripts finish you just launch the MO executable from where you installed it all to and it'll have everything in the right order.

No more needing to download everything from Nexus Mods and slap it all together in MO yourself.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

DamnGlitch posted:

It comes with 'vanilla' clothing packs for the main game and DLC, that's not compatible clothes?

You have to build them in bodyslide.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Aight does anyone happen to know any modpacks with Horizon at the core or should I just cook up my own list

Yes that show loving kicks rear end and goddammit here I am again

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think I might just skip wabbajack and build my own modlist. The memories of MO2 modding are flooding back faster than I thought. Are programs like LOOT still important to organize load orders? Also does Sim Settlements 2 require a fresh save?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Wishing I built my Life In The Ruins character way differently. STR & CHA seems like it'd be fun. Bullets are so scarce, so being good at hitting poo poo seems nice. And I like the CHA skill that gives you defense bonuses while not wearing armor. I always want to use all the Nice Suits & Dresses and Hats and whatnot that give stat bonuses, but because equipping items in Bethesda games is a total chore I'm never going to swap between "Sets" in a regular playthrough.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sab669 posted:

Wishing I built my Life In The Ruins character way differently. STR & CHA seems like it'd be fun. Bullets are so scarce, so being good at hitting poo poo seems nice. And I like the CHA skill that gives you defense bonuses while not wearing armor. I always want to use all the Nice Suits & Dresses and Hats and whatnot that give stat bonuses, but because equipping items in Bethesda games is a total chore I'm never going to swap between "Sets" in a regular playthrough.

I don’t know if Life in the Ruins changes things, but in vanilla Fallout 4 one of the rewards for siding with the Railroad is ballistic weave, which adds good armor to the kind of clothing you’re talking about. It’s an armor mod but you just slap it on a dress or whatever.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

what is Wabbajack? I've only ever used Mod Organizer/Script Extender for modding. From the context it sounds like something to automate and streamline the process of mod management and downloads?

Wabbajack will download and configure an entire modpack for you, although it can't do things like install the script extender so there may be some stuff you need to do manually. The specific modlist should list all that stuff, just make sure to follow the instructions.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Zereth posted:

Wabbajack will download and configure an entire modpack for you, although it can't do things like install the script extender so there may be some stuff you need to do manually.

Wabbajack can install script extender.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
thanks for the responses. I feel like I'd rather get back in the [PC] game after the fallout (heh!!!) of the April 25 update has settled, but I'll keep "look into using Wabbajack for mods" under my hat for like, mid-May or something

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

The update is going to add close to nothing of value for the PC version and mainly matters for the console versions. At the same time, it will likely break anything using F4SE on PC and other tools that rely on it. Depending on how active the mod author is, a lot of the mods will probably be updated within a few days to weeks, some will take a lot longer, some will never be updated. In the end, the best option could end up being just downgrade your game to the pre patch version.

There is really no reason to wait for the patch to come out and then start modding. Makes more sense to mod now and turn off updates.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Arc Hammer posted:

I think I might just skip wabbajack and build my own modlist. The memories of MO2 modding are flooding back faster than I thought. Are programs like LOOT still important to organize load orders? Also does Sim Settlements 2 require a fresh save?

LOOT isn't really necessary (for me anyway, I don't have a massive catalog). If you know what a mod does, it's fairly easy to make sure they don't conflict.

SS2 needs a new save. Its wiki also has a list of compatible/recommended mods (anything that alters the settlements can mess with city plans, for example) and the appropriate load order.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Flowing Thot posted:

You have to build them in bodyslide.

For vanilla clothes on one of the stock cbbe bodies? I have never done so, the mod comes with morphs (assuming you hit the checkbox to install them).

If you built some character with huge tracts of land, you might need to.

Sandepande posted:

LOOT isn't really necessary (for me anyway, I don't have a massive catalog). If you know what a mod does, it's fairly easy to make sure they don't conflict

LOOT is built into MO2 now anyway

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Azhais posted:

For vanilla clothes on one of the stock cbbe bodies? I have never done so, the mod comes with morphs (assuming you hit the checkbox to install them).

If you built some character with huge tracts of land, you might need to.

Maybe I am misremembering.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

What the gently caress is “CBBE” and “bodyslide?”

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

DamnGlitch posted:

it essentially comes with instruction sets for building the body. You have to build it because otherwise the download would be much bigger.

Arc Hammer posted:

LOOT is really outdated when it comes to Fallout 4. Sim settlements 2 is best started on a new run because you might have to build your mod around it.

Tankbuster fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 15, 2024

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

chaosapiant posted:

What the gently caress is “CBBE” and “bodyslide?”

Caliente's Beautiful Bodies Enhancer, the #3 mod for FO4, #4 for Skyrim, required for 98% of outfits?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Azhais posted:

Caliente's Beautiful Bodies Enhancer, the #3 mod for FO4, #4 for Skyrim, required for 98% of outfits?

it's the horny body replacer if you want outfits that make your character look sexy in the post-apocalypse video game

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
its also not very good compared to FusionGirl.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I just wanna strip people naked and throw them in a river. Never had trouble with this in fo3, nv, Skyrim, and even previously in 4, but I was using whatever replacement existed earlier in the release timeline.

I guess I’ll try a different one (I heard fusion girl?) I wasn’t intending to futz with the proportions.

Also didn’t realize it was girls only. Once I get that sorted I’ll try a mod for the fellas.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Fallout 4 Modding: I just wanna strip people naked and throw them in a river.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

DamnGlitch posted:

I just wanna strip people naked and throw them in a river. Never had trouble with this in fo3, nv, Skyrim, and even previously in 4, but I was using whatever replacement existed earlier in the release timeline.

I guess I’ll try a different one (I heard fusion girl?) I wasn’t intending to futz with the proportions.

Also didn’t realize it was girls only. Once I get that sorted I’ll try a mod for the fellas.

The male equivalent for the one is BodyTalk 3.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is there a go-to damage rebalance mod out there or are there a bunch of competing ones?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

Is there a go-to damage rebalance mod out there or are there a bunch of competing ones?

what, specifically, are you trying to rebalance? end-game hp sponge enemies? how dangerous explosives are? cars?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
depends on what you want. I started using xxyyzz's stuff because the new Robco Patcher he made made it really easy to replace Levelled Lists with better scripted injection.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Arivia posted:

what, specifically, are you trying to rebalance? end-game hp sponge enemies? how dangerous explosives are? cars?

Looking for something akin to STALKER or Project Nevada's functionality where headshots and bleedout are more lethal. And to get rid of bullet sponges and unbalanced Legendaries.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/75439

This modder has a ton of great mods like this which rebalance aspects of the game in a modular manner. You might be a tad too fragile at lower levels.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tankbuster posted:

The male equivalent for the one is BodyTalk 3.

Only if you're a coward

:nws:
https://vectorplexis.com/files/file/748-atomic-muscle-a-male-body-for-big-guys/

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I like making skinny dudes instead of muscle monsters.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Tankbuster posted:

I like making skinny dudes instead of muscle monsters.

:frogout: this is a certified #BearZone

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
This is kind of a weird question but are there any compilations of mods that don't require the dlc packs? It looks like a lot of the popular stuff seems to depend on having the season pass. They are dirt cheap on sale right now but I am regrettably dirtier and cheaper, and it would be nice to spend less time checking requirements and more time actually fiddling with the mods that are still compatible.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Arc Hammer posted:

Looking for something akin to STALKER or Project Nevada's functionality where headshots and bleedout are more lethal. And to get rid of bullet sponges and unbalanced Legendaries.

You're a candidate for Horizon, congratulations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Russian Remoulade posted:

This is kind of a weird question but are there any compilations of mods that don't require the dlc packs? It looks like a lot of the popular stuff seems to depend on having the season pass. They are dirt cheap on sale right now but I am regrettably dirtier and cheaper, and it would be nice to spend less time checking requirements and more time actually fiddling with the mods that are still compatible.

Every major (read: worth using) modlist will require the dlc and the vast majority of mods also will require these. You're probably going to have a rather tough time finding mods that don't need them.