Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

R.D. Mangles posted:

Wrigley Field replaced the grilled hot dog/polish station with a taco stand and I'm losing my loving mind!!!!!

Are they good tacos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Mustached Demon posted:

Are they good tacos?

I didn't try them, if I go to a ballgame I want my grilled dog with grilled onions dammit!

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Lmfao, Boone gets ejected for chirping at at ump. Except Boone was just standing there looking at his nails.

https://packaged-media.redd.it/22j4...55d59ccbb3e#t=0

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

While that is extremely funny, that ump should be severely sanctioned. loving satraps.

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1782462735240003873

Full sequence, you can hear everything

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 22, 2024

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

maffew buildings posted:

news: craig counsell the cubs manager
view: is a man I think is a big dingus

I Believe in Craig Counsell

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
I know it was an issue with Ross at the helm as well, so is it the manager or Cubs front office that is setting these whackadoo lineups

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

He's thrown 37 so far. That ain't 220.
this leads baseball presently

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Phillies have 7 first basemen so they are uniquely suited to replace a first baseman

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

zoux posted:

While that is extremely funny, that ump should be severely sanctioned. loving satraps.

This is the MLB. You think the ump is going to get anything other than a raise?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

zoux posted:

What the gently caress? Yeah this poo poo is crazy. Obviously just going through with it to save face.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

LobsterMobster posted:

I know it was an issue with Ross at the helm as well, so is it the manager or Cubs front office that is setting these whackadoo lineups

I don't know what you can expect when 2 of your 3 best hitters are injured, your only good starter is injured, and you're relying on a guy who no longer is capable of pitching to hold into a rotation spot.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

R.D. Mangles posted:

your only good starter is injured

SHOTA IMANAGA

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

LobsterMobster posted:

Jed gave Craig a dogshit bullpen and most of the organizational pitching depth is more starter focused and also helping to fill in for rotation injuries. Like okay yeah Alzolay's poo poo the bed but what do you do about it? Nerris also sucks and if you make Leiter the closer then the rest of the pen is never gonna actually be able to hand him a save to try and convert. Likewise the offense looks a lot more limp when Seiya and Happ are out. I have a few nitpicks on the usage/lineups - in particular they really need to just admit Hendricks is unfortunately washed and phantom IL/bullpen him - but mostly it's just a not particularly deep roster that got hit by loads of early injuries and it's made the weak links all the more glaring.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

I don't know what you can expect when 2 of your 3 best hitters are injured, your only good starter is injured, and you're relying on a guy who no longer is capable of pitching to hold into a rotation spot.

Two guys if you count Hendricks and Taillon

Bregor
May 31, 2013

R.D. Mangles posted:

Yeah it’s this. Plus the Marlins have 38 lefty SPs so lots of Wisdom and Coop last series.

Counsell has been fine and the Cubs are playing .590 baseball but this will not stop the awesome power of Cubsposting

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Nine Cubs losses this season:
3/28: Adbert blown save
3/30: Hendricks start
4/6: Mowed down by Yamamoto
4/8: Adbert blown save
4/10: Hendricks start
4/12: Beaten by Seattle
4/16: Hendricks start AND Adbert blown save
4/20: Adbert blown save
4/21: Hendricks start

what could the problem be????

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

Seems pretty obvious, make Miles Mastrobuoni the closer

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Poque posted:

not enough dingers

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Cubs are playing a little over .500 ball, that is pretty much what we expected. They are going to win 84 games.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

R.D. Mangles posted:

The Cubs are playing a little over .500 ball, that is pretty much what we expected. They are going to win 84 games.

Probably enough to take the NL Central

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Poque posted:

They scored more than three runs in just two of those games, the choke job in San Diego and the wild one in Arizona.

I don't really blame Counsell for sticking with Adbert. He was efficient in the role last season and a bunch of guys take a few appearances to feel out their breaking stuff. But Adbert's slider is just a nothingball so far and it looks like it'll be Neris and Leiter at the end of games now. In all fairness Counsell had Hader and then Devin Williams so I can't really say whether or not he'll handle this well over the next five months but it's too early for Chicken Little imho.

Cool Kyle should probably be a 2-inning opener for Ben Brown at this point but veteran presence, contract, etc etc

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

zoux posted:

While that is extremely funny, that ump should be severely sanctioned.

This is basically my entire reaction. F- and S-bombs on live TV are always fun, it's just a shame that they had to come as a result of egregiously & unapologetically terrible umpiring.

"I don't care who said it, you're gone"? Like, seriously? That just isn't acceptable.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Poque posted:

That game sucked so loving hard and it still wasn't as bad as the 4/8 loss.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

YeahTubaMike posted:

This is basically my entire reaction. F- and S-bombs on live TV are always fun, it's just a shame that they had to come as a result of egregiously & unapologetically terrible umpiring.

"I don't care who said it, you're gone"? Like, seriously? That just isn't acceptable.

ehhh I could kind of see how his mind was working, if you give the manager a warning and someone else in the dugout starts screaming profanity at you right after that I can see tossing the guy you gave the warning to, they should have control over their staff after all... When he said "I don't care who said it" as Boone runs up to him I think he was likely referring to which member of the Yankees said the objectionable thing right after the warning. I'm sure he didn't realize it was someone in the stands who shouted it at him.. I guess it would have been good if he reversed himself after getting an explanation, but I've never seen an official in any sport do that.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Big ups to that dude in the stands though.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

This kind of gently caress up I just find funny.

The consistent lovely strike zones are what actually enrage me (and not being willing to overturn things on replay)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

YeahTubaMike posted:

Ah, Wendelstedt. Should have guessed it would be the guy who dreams of growing up to be Cowboy Joe.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

AndrewP posted:

This kind of gently caress up I just find funny.

The consistent lovely strike zones are what actually enrage me (and not being willing to overturn things on replay)

Yeah, the ejection was dumb but it's not like running a manager has a significant impact on the outcome of the game

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

If fans know an umpire by name, that umpire is doing a poor job. You should never be enough of a factor in the game to be (in)famous.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The two reasons why anyone knows an ump's name: they are bad and annoying or they are just an absutely gigantic person.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Big ups to that dude in the stands though.

The announcers speculating that he took off his blue shirt "to go incognito" & declaring that they still knew it was him was a highlight of the game :lol:

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

R.D. Mangles posted:

The two reasons why anyone knows an ump's name: they are bad and annoying or they are just an absutely gigantic person.

there's a secret third one which is that they a) saved a young woman's life on the Roberto Clemente bridge and also called the only 100% accurate game in the umpscorecard era

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
It's funny that fans have learned the secret to getting a manager run. I wonder if anyone tries it again after a warning any time soon

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Intruder posted:

It's funny that fans have learned the secret to getting a manager run. I wonder if anyone tries it again after a warning any time soon

They'll try it before a warning. Giving fans the idea that they have any miniscule amount of power will mean it'll get run into the ground immediately.

e: also it was complete bullshit but it's hilarious that it happened to Not My Team.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

To be fair it was a day game in Oakland, it’s probably harder in a full stadium

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Traxis posted:

Yeah, the ejection was dumb but it's not like running a manager has a significant impact on the outcome of the game

I dunno Boone could have coached up the Yankees to not get shutout by the As

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

bawfuls posted:

White Sox road to the pennant unlocked.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

bawfuls posted:

It was in new york

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Intruder posted:

Working on my Bruce Bochy impersonation as we speak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Starsfan posted:

ehhh I could kind of see how his mind was working, if you give the manager a warning and someone else in the dugout starts screaming profanity at you right after that I can see tossing the guy you gave the warning to, they should have control over their staff after all... When he said "I don't care who said it" as Boone runs up to him I think he was likely referring to which member of the Yankees said the objectionable thing right after the warning. I'm sure he didn't realize it was someone in the stands who shouted it at him.. I guess it would have been good if he reversed himself after getting an explanation, but I've never seen an official in any sport do that.

Keep in mind this is the top of the first inning. The second batter of the game is at bat. Its just a hilariously short fuse from the ump.