Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART
It was there when you woke up this morning. The gleaming not-quite plastic case catching your eye as soon as you turned around. Curious, you opened the screen to be rewarded with a painful jab to the thumb. gently caress. Did that draw blood?

Then you were doing whatever you were doing but all of a sudden everybody was talking at once in a panic. Something about a plane crash and the bridge being out. The device in your hand is buzzing with alert messages and promotional product ads. It's on the radio. It's on tv and the internet.

quote:

WE ARE THE HAND OF SEKHEMET. YOU CORRUPT AND DEBASED ONES, TREMBLE BEFORE HER COMING. WE CLAIM ATHENA CITY IN THE NAME OF SHE WHO MAULS, SUBMIT TO SEKHEMET OR YOUR LIVES ARE FORFEIT. YOUR NATION OF GREED AND REFUSE SHALL BE SWEPT AWAY IN A TIDE OF BLOOD. SHE COMES.

The devil thrums and hums as it boots up, displaying esoteric shapes and symbols. Devils. It says it summons Devils.

Hi there, if you've played the Devil Summoner/Devil Survivor games you can probably guess the kind of vibe I'm going for. If not here's what I'm hoping for in a nutshell: Modern people trapped in a city for an indeterminate amount of time, probably summoning & binding demons to serve them, and maybe doing a thing where they try to escape or tease out the clues to a mystery. Start as vanilla ordinary and see how far you can go.

Familiarity with the setting. PDQ or demon summoning in general is not required since it's all pretty easy to pick up as you go. All places, persons, and events in this game are purely fictitious, any resemblance to any real events or persons living or dead is purely coincidental.

If you're interested make a character using the following guidelines:

+16 in stats distributed however you like, with a minimum +2 in DDD. Take -4 in Flaws

quote:

(+2 minimum) DDD - Slim, sexy, ergonomic, cool, the Digital Devil Device is the all purpose tool that every modern Devil Summoner uses to manage his personal affairs and Maelstrom of Contracted Devils. Within each device is an electronically inscribed Pandemonium Circle, allowing Summoners to contract, summon, and dismiss weakened Devils in addition to all the conveniences a top-of-the-line smartphone can offer. Digital Devil Device's one-touch banking allows Summoners to store, invest, transfer $oul instantly with the greatest of ease! Purchase or upgrade your model for advanced features and increased hard drive storage today!

+??? Summoned Devil- Congratulations Summoner! In celebration of your contract a complementary one-time bonus Summoned Devil has been released from Devil Digital Devil Corporation's archives and sealed within your Digital Devil Device! Click YES now to release the seal and forge a contract with your complementary Summoned Devil! Digital Devil Corporation assumes no liability for any damages or loss of any kind that might arise from the use of, misuse of, or the inability to use complementary Summoned Devil pairings. complementary Summoned Devil is not to be combined with other offers. user experiences may vary.

+??? Traits- Your character's personal stats go here.
-4 Flaws- Peccadilloes go here

To satisfy your heart's deepest desire, would you sacrifice another living human being? [YES] / [NO] ?

What part of town were you in and what were you doing when the first plane crashed into the Athena Bridge? Also what do you think happened to the second plane?

Today is probably 18 March, 2016 so let's call the deadline for characters ~ a week or two maybe 30 March 2016 7:00 PM GMT

Post your questions and comments to this thread please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
Going to post interest. Haven't played PDQ in a while, but it's not the sort of thing you forget.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah it's pretty easy. Write in even numbered traits you shoehorn into everything, roll 2d6 + trait where relevant. There's a free version of the book floating around on the internet. I'll post one here later when I get the chance for anybody who doesn't know PDQ.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

PDQ plus Devil Survivor definitely interests me.

Are we using the basic core rules: http://www.atomicsockmonkey.com/freebies/di/pdq-core.pdf

Any limits or guidelines on our personal demons?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I can't wait to BURN MY DR- wait, that's something else. I can't wait to KEEP ON KILLIN'???

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

oriongates posted:

PDQ plus Devil Survivor definitely interests me.

Are we using the basic core rules: http://www.atomicsockmonkey.com/freebies/di/pdq-core.pdf

Any limits or guidelines on our personal demons?

Yep that's the one, thanks for finding it. I'm going to tack on some house rules to make it thematically appropriate, but the basics are all there.

No, although I should leave the caveat that you probably don't want to go all in on one field or the other unless you're really, really dedicated to the idea. There are potentially a bunch of different ways this could work out, and I can see it being fun and interesting to either start with something awesome or keep contracting up to bigger and better things as you encounter/beat them into submission.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
Interest post.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm definitely interested, though I'm curious; it says "start as vanilla ordinary", but the example mentions a summoned devil. What's up there? Are we starting as completely mundane and will be earning demons (as traits?) in-game, or do we get to pick our first demon?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Roland Jones posted:

I'm definitely interested, though I'm curious; it says "start as vanilla ordinary", but the example mentions a summoned devil. What's up there? Are we starting as completely mundane and will be earning demons (as traits?) in-game, or do we get to pick our first demon?

I'm curious about this too. Also, is stealing demons directly from SMT acceptable, or should we try to be a little more creative? I'm probably going to go for a Goetic something-or-other as a starter demon, which is admittedly more public domain than SMT, but if you'd rather we be creating a cosmology from whole cloth, that's not a problem.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Alma Worth

Nice to meet you. Name's Alma. I fix things. Mostly simple mechanical things, owned by people who can’t afford to or won’t spend the time to learn how to fix them themselves. Odd jobs. I’m pretty good, too. The sign above my door says “Worth Repairs — Get your money’s worth.” The slogan wasn’t my idea.

Problem is, no one likes paying for a service they imagine they could do themselves if they made an effort, so I don’t earn much. My lack of a degree means not much hope of career advancement, either. So, not a lot of luxuries in my life. I make my own entertainment — I take long walks through Athena City, I roast my own coffee once in a while, I keep my apartment clean, and I repair and resell old electronics to teenagers who like refurbished Blackberries and “authentic” custom cases. S’like my dad did, only he fixed watches. Local church sends business my way, I figure since my mother was a pastor there and they’re big on charity. Big on the End Times, too, recently. As long as they buy watches, I say.

Was my life supposed to end up this way? Probably not; dad said I deserved better than he got, but here I am, living commission to commission just like he was. No sense moaning about it, though. I keep my head down and work, daughter of Martha that I am, and I’ll keep working and making sure peoples’ pipes stay clean and their air conditioners don’t kill them ’til Judgment Day, doing the job that's there, like always. Let no one say, when the world called, that Alma Worth was found wanting.

quote:

A Deathlike Calm +4
If the world’s collapsing around you, no point in running. You just keep moving until either the crisis stops or you do.
The Handyman Can +4
I've worked odd jobs for a long time, and I’ve got a solid bag of tricks — y’know, common household chemistry, auto repair, electrical engineering, electronics repair…
Durable +2
Pain’s just nerves telling you Stop. Exhaustion’s just the brain telling you Stop. The trick is letting them know you’re a bad listener.
Urban Navigator +2
I’ve taken enough long walks around this town to get a feel for street names and buildings, and I can get from point A to point B faster than the average native.
DDD +2
Weird little machine. Is it made of plastic, or something else? I’m half-tempted to disassemble it, see how it ticks.
Kyrkogrim +2
"The Swedish Kyrkogrim are said to be the spirits of animals sacrificed by early Christians at the building of a new church. In parts of Europe, including Britain and Scandinavia, it was believed that the first man buried in a new churchyard had to guard it against the Devil. To save a human soul from the duty, a completely black dog would be buried alive on the north side of the churchyard, creating a guardian spirit, the church grim, to protect the church."

Indelicacy -2
I’m used to machines. They’ve got right answers and wrong answers. People, less so.
Law Hero -2
Mom always told me, Heaven above wants the best for you. Heaven above provides if you listen. If Heaven’s coming to Earth, if these are the end times, then the angels will know what kind of woman I am.

Where was I when the plane hit? Dropping off replacement auto parts for Reverend Singer at the church. The Reverend was giving a sermon on selfishness when I arrived and he hadn’t finished when that little Simmons kid got the news on his phone -- in the middle of a service. Interrupted the sermon, started panicking about the end of the world, and everyone ran off to check on their loved ones or await the end, based on personal preference. The Reverend left too, in a hurry; didn’t even get his spark plug. I don’t know about the second plane — hell, maybe it is the end of days, and the whole thing was struck down by lightning. Or assumed into heaven. It’d fit — “two men standing in a field, one was taken and the other left,” right?

Of course, the more likely cause for both incidents is mechanical defect. Just speculating out loud.

As for that other question, if you’re selfish enough to trade a life not your own for it, you probably don’t deserve whatever it is you wanted to get. Even if it meant a better life, a chance at a job where I could do better... no, I don't think I would.

Poltergrift fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 30, 2016

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

Antivehicular posted:

I'm curious about this too. Also, is stealing demons directly from SMT acceptable, or should we try to be a little more creative? I'm probably going to go for a Goetic something-or-other as a starter demon, which is admittedly more public domain than SMT, but if you'd rather we be creating a cosmology from whole cloth, that's not a problem.

Yes, the premise of the game is pretty heavily lifted from SMT/Devil Survivor so you will have the chance to gain new traits in the form of demons in-game (as well as summon them). It's what you'll be using your DDD for. For the purposes of our game you can only summon one at a time so hopefully we won't be bogged down with dozens of move/action orders per player per turn. You get one to start that you can make big and beefy at the cost of your more difficult to raise character stats. Look to Poltergrift's character sheet for an example of a vanilla ordinary that incidentally has a +2 magic device with a +2 Black Dog bound inside.

You're free to write in whatever you like. Demonology can be confusing and contradictory not least because the subjects in question are mentally deranged or liars depending on the situation (or possibly fell through a dimensional hole or something). It's great if you write something awesome and original, but I won't hold it against you if making up demon names/types isn't your thing and you borrow from somewhere else.

Poltergrift posted:

Alma Worth

Nice to meet you. Name's Alma. I fix things. Mostly simple mechanical things, owned by people who can’t afford to or won’t spend the time to learn how to fix them themselves. Odd jobs. I’m pretty good, too. The sign above my door says “Worth Repairs — Get your money’s worth.” The slogan wasn’t my idea.

Problem is, no one likes paying for a service they imagine they could do if they made an effort, so I don’t earn much. My lack of a degree means not much hope of career advancement, either. So, not a lot of luxuries in my life. I make my own entertainment — I take long walks through Athena City, I roast my own coffee once in a while, I keep my apartment clean, and I repair and resell old electronics to teenagers who like refurbished Blackberries and “authentic” custom cases. S’like my dad did, only he fixed watches. Local church sends business my way, I figure since my mother was a pastor there and they’re big on charity. Big on the End Times, too, recently. As long as they buy watches, I say.

Was my life supposed to end up this way? Probably not; dad said I deserved better than he got, but here I am, living paycheck to paycheck just like he was. No sense moaning about it, though. I keep my head down and work, daughter of Martha that I am, and I’ll keep working and making sure peoples’ pipes stay clean and their air conditioners don’t kill them ’til Judgment Day, doing the job that's there, like always. Let no one say, when the world called, that Alma Worth was found wanting.

Where was I when the plane hit? Dropping off replacement auto parts for Reverend Singer at the church. The Reverend was giving a sermon on selfishness when I arrived and he hadn’t finished when that little Simmons kid got the news on his phone -- in the middle of a service. Interrupted the sermon, started panicking about the end of the world, and everyone ran off to check on their loved ones or await the end, based on personal preference. The Reverend left too, in a hurry; didn’t even get his spark plug. I don’t know about the second plane — hell, maybe it is the end of days, and the whole thing was struck down by lightning. Or assumed into heaven. It’d fit — “two men standing in a field, one was taken and the other left,” right?

Of course, the more likely cause for both incidents is mechanical defect. Just speculating out loud.

As for that other question, if you’re selfish enough to trade a life not your own for it, you probably don’t deserve whatever it is you wanted to get. Even if it meant a better life, a chance at a job where I could do better... no, I don't think I would.

Hurray! An excellent example of a character, Poltergrift. Alma has everything I need to start her off in the game and write in plot hooks (hints about age, backstory re:family and friends, an idea of her familiarity with the city, secondary NPCs to move around) but since we're both here we might as well throw on some supplementary questions to flesh out the game setting for her a bit.

Most of Athena City is situated on Attica Island, Worth Repairs certainly is but occasionally someone finds a flyer or looks you up on the internet so you go further afield. How much experience do you have with the suburbs? What's your Yelpr profile or Angelo's List (online social media ratings systems for businesses) score like?

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

quote:

Most of Athena City is situated on Attica Island, Worth Repairs certainly is but occasionally someone finds a flyer or looks you up on the internet so you go further afield. How much experience do you have with the suburbs? What's your Yelpr profile or Angelo's List (online social media ratings systems for businesses) score like?

The suburbs? Haven't been in a while. I had a few customers there a while back -- an older couple who had me on unofficial retainer for a month or two, I figure out of pity, and an artist type who drew me working and shooed me out before the repair was done. Overall, I don't know the suburbs well, but I can at least figure out how to get around, which roads are the main roads and how to get back home. Athena City's layout is pretty regular and predictable, too -- at least, in my personal estimation -- so with a little time to get a sense of the space, I can figure out how to get where I'm going with not too much effort.

As for my online ratings... for the most part, I do good work and get good feedback. I show up quickly (when I don't have to stop for gas), I fix things so they work and so they don't break again in six months, and I charge fairly, which is worth four stars to your average citizen. Unfortunately, some people imagine tall cheerful guys with monkey wrenches when you say "handyman," so they try to make conversation while I'm working and I end up brushing them off because I'm focusing. That kind of person tends to leave bad reviews that drag my score down, I figure because they think politeness is as important as getting the work done...? Still, the problem's on my end, so I've tried smiling all the time when I work to fix it, but people say it's creepy, and it doesn't make me better at paying attention to whatever conversation customers are trying to have.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Interest post. Will check out PDQ.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Okay, let's give it a shot:

Rex Carver

Rex Carver, Private Investigator and Skip Tracer. Reasonable rates. Guaranteed confidentiality and reliability.

Rex works out of a small, cluttered office downtown. Although he's certainly a competent and clever investigator, most of his efforts go into putting on a show for the clients. He tries to fill expectations: wearing a rumbled trenchcoat, a completely untrue account of being an ex-cop (he was an unemployed liberal arts major), he carries a gun (although he's never bothered getting bullets for it). His name isn't even Rex...he was born Reggy Carter but business picked up a lot once he changed it. All that effort for the privilege of stalking people's cheating spouses, rebellious children or panicky bail-jumpers.

Despite all this he takes pride in doing his job well. He's developed a good instinct for putting things together and he's got an exceptional talent for getting people to open up to him, whether its through threats, coercion, charm or trickery. His experience with shady dealings have made him cynical but he's still got a decent moral compass underneath it all.

If offered the chance to achieve his heart's desire at the cost of someone else's life he'd say no...but then again he'd say no if asked "do you know what your heart's desire is?"

When the plane crashed he was snapping photos of some rear end in a top hat trying (unsuccessfully) to pick up a prostitute at the behest of said rear end in a top hat's wife. He actually managed to snap a few photos of the thing going down...not for any particular reason...he just figured that someone should get a picture of it. That's when he noticed the buzzing in his pocket and pulled out the DDD...whatever the hell it was. He still hasn't heard about the second plane yet.

quote:

Good [+2] Digital Devil Device I've got no clue what the hell this is and how it got in my coat.

Expert [+4] Demon: Kresnik I was just pushing buttons and this guy with a sword shows up. It says he's in my "registry", whatever that is. Cool looking coat at least.

Expert [+4] Private Eye It's a living, but not a great one. Still, you pick things up as you go along...how to follow people without them knowing, where to ask questions and the right questions to ask. Maybe a little light breaking and entering.

Good [+2] Brawling When I was twelve I totally got a purple belt from a karate school in a strip mall. I don't remember any of it though, so I just stick with punching people before they punch me.

Good [+2] Getting People To Talk It's surprising just how useful that psych elective I took back in my second semester has been. With a bit of practice you quickly learn just the right way to get people to open up: a bit of pressure, a bit of booze, a bit of money or just a friendly word or two.

Good [+2] Knows The City Like The Back Of His Hand Another important skill. Sometimes you've got to know where people are going to run and hide, other times you need to know where you can run and hide.

Poor [-2] No Good With Computers I've got one at the office, it's supposed to be helpful but all I've figured out is that I hate it and it hates me.

Poor [-2] Smokes Too Much Like the coat and the gun smoking was just something clients expected...I may have let the habit get out of hand.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
How much anime is the preferred level? Does a detective in Athena City looks like oriongates' app, or like this?

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Poltergrift posted:

The suburbs? Haven't been in a while. I had a few customers there a while back -- an older couple who had me on unofficial retainer for a month or two, I figure out of pity, and an artist type who drew me working and shooed me out before the repair was done. Overall, I don't know the suburbs well, but I can at least figure out how to get around, which roads are the main roads and how to get back home. Athena City's layout is pretty regular and predictable, too -- at least, in my personal estimation -- so with a little time to get a sense of the space, I can figure out how to get where I'm going with not too much effort.

Oh in that case what's your delivery/repair vehicle like? Is it a van with a logo, hand-me-down Oldsmobile, or something else? I kind of assume mostly Alma gets around in the city by way of public transit, but owning and driving a car changes a lot of everything. Getting a regular parking space in your neighborhood for instance requires city passes, finagling with neighbors, cops, and jerks who double park in the street.

oriongates posted:

Okay, let's give it a shot:

Rex Carver

Rex Carver, Private Investigator and Skip Tracer. Reasonable rates. Guaranteed confidentiality and reliability.

Rex works out of a small, cluttered office downtown. Although he's certainly a competent and clever investigator, most of his efforts go into putting on a show for the clients. He tries to fill expectations: wearing a rumbled trenchcoat, a completely untrue account of being an ex-cop (he was an unemployed liberal arts major), he carries a gun (although he's never bothered getting bullets for it). His name isn't even Rex...he was born Reggy Carter but business picked up a lot once he changed it. All that effort for the privilege of stalking people's cheating spouses, rebellious children or panicky bail-jumpers.

Despite all this he takes pride in doing his job well. He's developed a good instinct for putting things together and he's got an exceptional talent for getting people to open up to him, whether its through threats, coercion, charm or trickery. His experience with shady dealings have made him cynical but he's still got a decent moral compass underneath it all.

If offered the chance to achieve his heart's desire at the cost of someone else's life he'd say no...but then again he'd say no if asked "do you know what your heart's desire is?"

When the plane crashed he was snapping photos of some rear end in a top hat trying (unsuccessfully) to pick up a prostitute at the behest of said rear end in a top hat's wife. He actually managed to snap a few photos of the thing going down...not for any particular reason...he just figured that someone should get a picture of it. That's when he noticed the buzzing in his pocket and pulled out the DDD...whatever the hell it was. He still hasn't heard about the second plane yet.

Looks good. I'm assuming since we're on the same page about SMT Kresnik refers to somebody that's along the lines of this dude:

e.g. an eastern European vampire that's got a hard on for another vampire named Kudlak. There's a ton of fluff and descriptions in SMT and related games for what a Kresnik looks like and does, but for others having a description in the entry is much more helpful to me than not.

Rex doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who's very relationship stable. The heavy smoking, the aimlessness, the cynicism covering up possible despair at the shiftiness of the world, has anybody (ex-wife, ex-boyfriend, ex-girlfriend, former partner, etc) ever made a big deal about that?

Also -2 Smoking means he's puffing away like a chimney quite often, which tends to annoy the poo poo out of people who don't want their everything to taste like an ashtray so does he smoke indoors inappropriately a lot and drat the consequences, or furtively sneak around to bathrooms, stairwells, etc. to catch a smoke?

Captain Walker posted:

How much anime is the preferred level? Does a detective in Athena City looks like oriongates' app, or like this?

I can be pretty flexible about the level of anime. Athena City is loosely based off of NYC as it is anyway, so it wouldn't be impossible for you to walk down the street if you went full Raidou. It'd be a little weird and anachronistic but you could pass it off as being an odd idiosyncrasy that you regularly wear a Japanese school uniform from a hundred years ago and have Michael Jackson gloves in all weather.

Might also help you write character backstory/details if I put some places and persons of interest on the table. You don't have to use them or really even be aware of them unless you want to. I'll make changes and write more in eventually as things progress.

Places of Interest:

Athena City (pop. ~8.4 million)
Downtown
Athena Bay Bridge (destroyed by plane crash)
Thomas Jefferson Memorial Tunnel
Uptown Tunnel
Alliance Tower (former world's tallest building, classical facade, center of global finance)
Malmart Home Office, 1 Mallmart Dr. (Malmart Corporate offices, Massive warehouse & distribution center, disproportionately secured building)

Persons of Interest:

Paula Adrianopolous - CEO of Alliance Industries
Dave Malton - Owner, CEO of Malmart Business Corporation

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Puppies are dicks posted:

Looks good. I'm assuming since we're on the same page about SMT Kresnik refers to somebody that's along the lines of this dude:

That's right. The one with the cool coat. I figure the whole Kresnik v Kudlak thing might make an interesting plot point as well if anything came of it.

quote:

Rex doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who's very relationship stable. The heavy smoking, the aimlessness, the cynicism covering up possible despair at the shiftiness of the world, has anybody (ex-wife, ex-boyfriend, ex-girlfriend, former partner, etc) ever made a big deal about that?

I figure he's got a disappointed father somewhere outside of Athena City who paid his way through college, at least until he switched majors from Business to Creative Writing. The two don't talk much anymore, if at all.

He's also probably got an ex-girlfriend who dumped him after he spent the first couple of years after college living in her apartment and working on his (still unfinished) novel. Kind of his wake-up call to actually do something to make money.

quote:

Also -2 Smoking means he's puffing away like a chimney quite often, which tends to annoy the poo poo out of people who don't want their everything to taste like an ashtray so does he smoke indoors inappropriately a lot and drat the consequences, or furtively sneak around to bathrooms, stairwells, etc. to catch a smoke?

I figure its partly going to be a social issue (smoking in the car, indoors, etc) and a addiction issue (i.e. when not permitted to smoke he'll get really cranky and anxious).

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Oh yeah, vampire blood feuds are absolutely a thing. The plot hooks basically write themselves.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

quote:

Oh in that case what's your delivery/repair vehicle like? Is it a van with a logo, hand-me-down Oldsmobile, or something else? I kind of assume mostly Alma gets around in the city by way of public transit, but owning and driving a car changes a lot of everything. Getting a regular parking space in your neighborhood for instance requires city passes, finagling with neighbors, cops, and jerks who double park in the street.

Mostly public transit, yep. My car's a clunker, or was one -- got it on the cheap, albeit still for more than it was worth, and managed to fix it up into a functional mobile workshop. Toolboxes and larger parts go in the trunk, backseat's got stacks of old magazines and paperbacks, some technical and some not, and boxes of parts, front passenger's side has a jerry-rigged gyroscopically stable platter for anything I need held mostly steady. Doesn't really provide for passengers, but no one but me sets foot in it and the driver's seat's free and clear. Don't see that changing any time soon.

Parking's a chore, but I follow the law and no one's crushed my fenders yet. I'm willing to count that as a win.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
This is the first time I've even considered in joining a game here, but Devil Survivor 1/2 are some of my favorite games of all time. Once I read up on PDQ I'll be writing up a character.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret

My name is Joshua Whittaker, and I teach. Specifically, I teach highschool downtown in Athena City, and I have to say, it's not bad. It's crap for pay but the benefits are pretty good if you can survive long enough without burning out. Kids these days are competitive, more competitive than I ever was. Every day I see more and more of these "superkids" trying to do everything at the same time, bugging me for extra credit and extra attention that, by the end of the day, I just can't handle without a little bourbon to ease my mind.

That's not to say I'm a bad teacher, I mean, I'd like to think I'm pretty good. My class test scores are above average, I seem to connect to my students(well, most of the time), and I genuinely like doing this job(most of the time, again). I've even turned a few students down the path of pursuing a history major, although I wonder if I'm not just passing the problem down to a new generation.

I live with my girlfriend Haley, who works at a law firm across town, and for two long years she's managed to put up with me. She's been supporting me since we met, and I'll admit that it bugs me that I can't really afford to treat her the way I'd like, but she insists she doesn't mind. She's sweet like that. Even so, I try not to mooch off her(once again, most of the time, I'm not perfect drat it!).

When I'm off work, and sober enough to enjoy it, I like to run. Athena City is a beautiful place, every day it feels like I see something new or exciting when I'm out on a run, and right now I think I could use the longest run of my life. Or a stiff drink. Sorry, what were we talking about?

Am I happy with life? I guess so, I mean, things aren't bad, relative to the rest of the world it's honestly pretty great. So, why do I feel like something's missing?

quote:

High School History Teacher +2
I don't know what a history degree is going to do to stop the planes from falling, but by god I spent 4 years on it!
DDD +2
I had to take this thing from one of my students earlier, he seemed pretty anxious about something when I took it from him. Now I know why.
Quick on his feet +2
I can keep ahead of trouble, which is good, because me and trouble don't have a great track record. If I can put a hundred paces between me and whatever's coming, I figure I have a better chance of surviving it.
Not Much In A Fight -2
Sure, I've been in a couple of fights but I didn't win either. If I had to actually defend myself, I don't think I'd know what to do. It's not a high risk job, after all, being a teacher. Usually, at least.
Functioning Alcoholic -2
Okay, so I need a few drinks to get through the day, that's not a crime, right? I mean, as long as no one catches you. So far, I haven't been caught, so that's something!
A Way With Words +4
I've been told I have a talent for swaying people's opinions my way, something that comes in handy when you're lecturing teenagers, or trying to talk your way out of trouble.
Decarabia +6

quote:

According to the writings in The Lesser Key of Solomon, Decarabia (or Carabia) is the sixty-ninth spirit listed in the Goetia. Although he has no title in the Pseudomonarchia Daemonum, in the Lesser Key of Solomon he is a Great Marquis of Hell and has thirty legions of demons under his command. When summoned, Decarabia appears as a pentagram star, although he will take the form of a man if the conjurer requests it. He knows the properties and values of all herbs and precious stones, and can transform into any type of bird to sing and fly for his conjurer, sometimes acting as his animal familiar.
This thing is terrfying, and I have no idea what it wants. It doesn't have a mouth, or ears, so I'm not sure how to communicate with the giant starfish, but it seems...friendly? Non-hostile?

Where was I? Well, it's kind of weird, I was in the middle of class at the time. I forget what I was even going on about, it was near the end of the period and a hangover from the previous night I'd been unsuccessful in fighting off was making things difficult. One of the kids had this device, and it was making all kinds of noise, so I confiscated it. That's when I found out. I don't know anything about a second plane, I was too busy cancelling class and trying to get everyone to some emergency assembly.

What? No, of course not. I mean, I barely have an idea of what my deepest desire would be, much less have the will and psychopathy needed to kill someone over it.

Juchero fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 23, 2016

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Hank Settor

Well, my family is from upstate, but I've always wanted to live in Athena City, where the artists and the action is. Pretty well-off, a nurse and a lawyer with two kids. Just me and my older sister, she's in California working for Mallmart corporate. I played a lot of sports in middle school, settled on hockey and baseball in high school. Played hockey two years in college, then my jaw got shattered and I focused on my anthropology degree. Which was interesting but I'm not really planning on using it for anything. Finished up in five years, and moved strait to the city. Worked for the bike shop on Lincoln for a year and a half, then at Antler Brewery on 15th near Atlantic. But my passion right now is baking artisanal breads for Follman's - I see a lot of politicians and celebrities on the days when I work up front, but they're all so fake. Still, I get a great deal on nice cheeses and cured meats, plus the wine shop across the street trades employee discounts with us. I get by pretty well, particularly when I get a weekend off and sell prints and things at the artists' market. Though of course there's always the bank of Mom and Dad if things were to get really rough.

I mostly ride my bike around town, which both is way more practical in this city and very environmentally conscious. I've actually got three bikes: a fixie cruiser, a commuting roadie, and a fat bike for snowy days. Try to get out and take pictures on my days off, only a dabbler there. Currently living with the two gay bartenders from Antler in a 5th floor apartment on 19th, They really care about the music scene, and I met a lot of young musicians through the Antler and them. The people in this area are just so much more vibrant and real; there's a 2nd generation Filipino family below us and an actual immigrant South African couple across the hall. I'm straight, since you're now wondering, but no girlfriend at the moment. I tend to get a lot of dates, though. I'm only 27, and it's a big city full of adventure.

When the plane hit? I was at work that morning, we turned the radio to the local news and gave out a bunch of free sandwiches. Rode my bike home and the streets were absolutely dead, which anyone can tell you is pretty weird for Athena City. The second plane ended up in the ocean. Where else? It's just been too soon for investigators to figure out exactly where and most people are more interested in the bridge or the Sekhemet message.

To satisfy your heart's deepest desire, would you sacrifice another living human being? I guess probably. Not sure what the 'deepest desire' is yet. And only if the person was a total rear end in a top hat.

quote:

+4 Fit as hell - Get it? Because the demons? But seriously, I got scouted for AAA, maybe even pro, but my parents insisted on college, and then the big hit ended that.

+2 Artistic - Steady hand, good eye. Little bit of watercolor, but mostly 'found' things and photographs. Other people seem to think I've got good taste.

+2 Stunningly Charming - People just seem to like me. I imagine life must be a lot harder for people who don't have a winning smile.

+4 DDDplus- Seems to be the upgraded version with faster connection times and a neat Hypnotize The Weak-Willed app

+4 Shed - Some kinda winged ox-chicken-man thing I guess. He's bright enough to get chores done, strong enough to lift a dumpster, and has electro-fists. Flew me to the top of the building the first night just to prove he could.

-4 Glass Jaw - It got broken so bad I could hardly chew for years. Doesn't take much of a bump for me to go down with a head-splitter.

-0 Early to Bed - Bakery starts at 4am, so I gotta hit the mattress at like 8 or 9 at the latest. I don't even bother with bar nights anymore, it's just my inner clock telling me what to do.
Early to bed didn't seem like a big enough hit to actually be worth any points. It's interesting, but not likely to come up. Glass Jaw on the other hand can be pretty major, so I went ahead and made it a 4. I'd be willing to equalize them back to 2's.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 24, 2016

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Absurd Revolver posted:

My name is Joshua Whittaker, and I teach. Specifically, I teach highschool downtown in Athena City, and I have to say, it's not bad. It's crap for pay but the benefits are pretty good if you can survive long enough without burning out. Kids these days are competitive, more competitive than I ever was. Every day I see more and more of these "superkids" trying to do everything at the same time, bugging me for extra credit and extra attention that, by the end of the day, I just can't handle without a little bourbon to ease my mind.

That's not to say I'm a bad teacher, I mean, I'd like to think I'm pretty good. My class test scores are above average, I seem to connect to my students(well, most of the time), and I genuinely like doing this job(most of the time, again). I've even turned a few students down the path of pursuing a history major, although I wonder if I'm not just passing the problem down to a new generation.

I live with my girlfriend Haley, who works at a law firm across town, and for two long years she's managed to put up with me. She's been supporting me since we met, and I'll admit that it bugs me that I can't really afford to treat her the way I'd like, but she insists she doesn't mind. She's sweet like that. Even so, I try not to mooch off her(once again, most of the time, I'm not perfect drat it!).

When I'm off work, and sober enough to enjoy it, I like to run. Athena City is a beautiful place, every day it feels like I see something new or exciting when I'm out on a run, and right now I think I could use the longest run of my life. Or a stiff drink. Sorry, what were we talking about?

Am I happy with life? I guess so, I mean, things aren't bad, relative to the rest of the world it's honestly pretty great. So, why do I feel like something's missing?

This thing is terrfying, and I have no idea what it wants. It doesn't have a mouth, or ears, so I'm not sure how to communicate with the giant starfish, but it seems...friendly? Non-hostile?

Where was I? Well, it's kind of weird, I was in the middle of class at the time. I forget what I was even going on about, it was near the end of the period and a hangover from the previous night I'd been unsuccessful in fighting off was making things difficult. One of the kids had this device, and it was making all kinds of noise, so I confiscated it. That's when I found out. I don't know anything about a second plane, I was too busy cancelling class and trying to get everyone to some emergency assembly.

What? No, of course not. I mean, I barely have an idea of what my deepest desire would be, much less have the will and psychopathy needed to kill someone over it.
[/quote]

Ok sounds reasonable and looks good. If your inner city high school has crap pay but a pretty decent benefits package & lots of high achiever kids odds are it's a moderately well funded magnet school. Or a private school that inexplicably doesn't pay its teachers well. In either case does the school have a specialty/focus? (i.e. fine arts, math, engineering, is a Catholic school, etc.) What is the rough size of the student population?

Also what is the school mascot?

Speleothing posted:

Incoming hipster working at a bakery.

If he doesn't mention how vibrant and real people the rent controlled neighborhood he works in is I will refuse to believe he's a hipster. I'll give you 4/10 for ironically liking Radiohead though.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I think I'm done editing for now. I've got to go out and make some artisinal soups for dinner and will answer any questions in a slightly half-hearted and condescending manner later tonight.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret

Ok sounds reasonable and looks good. If your inner city high school has crap pay but a pretty decent benefits package & lots of high achiever kids odds are it's a moderately well funded magnet school. Or a private school that inexplicably doesn't pay its teachers well. In either case does the school have a specialty/focus? (i.e. fine arts, math, engineering, is a Catholic school, etc.) What is the rough size of the student population?

Also what is the school mascot?

Yeah, pay could be better if I was at a private school, in fact I spent a couple of years at one right out of college. Friend got me the position, naturally, along with some sweet talking by yours truly, but it wasn't a good fit for me. The environment was too competitive, and half the kids already had high paying jobs waiting for them thanks to some truly loaded parents, so good luck getting them to put in a real effort. Anyway, I found myself at East Athena Magnet, one of the larger ones with a student population of around 1100. Not much in the way of sports, it was one of those places that funneled kids into local private universities for computer science degrees, but apparently we do have a mascot.

It's this thing

...yeah. I know. Our best team is the chess team, they won a Tri-state competition last year. In terms of actual sports, soccer's pretty popular I guess?

Li Dawny
Apr 14, 2013

quote:

ER Nurse +2

Something about the rush of quick triage makes me feel alive in all new ways!

Sleep is for the weak +2

Living in a hospital makes sleep more of a dream than a reality, and the night classes don’t help.

Just relax, I’m here to make it better +4

Being in the ER is a scary experience for children and adults, I’ve had to learn how to talk down some pretty upset people.

DDD +2

Found this under a patient's bed after he was rolled into surgery. I meant to put it in with his items, but then the plane hit and things got hectic.

A+ in Med Terms +2

Something about the way Latin feels rolling off the tongue really stuck with me, I’m pretty good at figuring out what doctors mean when they say things like ‘oophorectomy’.

Asclepius +4

quote:

Greek god of medicine. Asclepius often used the art of divination to obtain responses from his father Apollo through oracles. From these auguries he learned much about the natures of many drugs and herbs, and how to use them in treating disease. This knowledge he passed on to his sons, and to his students. Asclepius is the personification of the miracle working physician of consummate medical skill.

My grandma told me I had a knack for healing, and that I was blessed by the gods in that way, but I don’t think she knew the half of it. This guy is intense, but kinda fun sometimes, and he really knows his stuff.

36 Hours and counting -2

I sometimes overextend myself a bit too far, and can forget minor things like where I parked my car, or when I ate last. It hasn’t caused a major mistake at work yet, so I’m fine…right?

You know what, I’ll do it -2

Sometimes I can be a teensy bit overbearing when it comes to the whole “micro-managing” thing. It’s not that other people are bad at their jobs, I’m just better at mine.

Some people spend their whole lives figuring out what they were put on this earth for, but not me. My name is Rebecca Hunt, and I was made to be a nurse. I work at All Saints, specifically the Emergency Room, and couldn’t think of a better place to be. For us single full-timers they even provide on-site housing, which is awesome, with the drawback of having the worst on-call hours, three a.m. sucks. Along with work, I also take night classes. I know, I know, I’m already working sixty hours a week, but when I’m a nurse practitioner I can make my own schedule, like the doctor’s do. Maybe I can even get out of wearing scrubs to work then…

Anyway, the down side to living at the hospital is the no pet policy, which means I have to head back to my parent’s house to see my dog. Molly is a beagle mix, and a pain in the butt usually, but I’ve had her for five years now and she’s easily my best friend. Well, maybe other than my mom. It sounds silly, I’m 22 and my mom is my best friend? What kind of freak am I? But seriously, she is amazing, as is the rest of my family. I have two sisters, Karla and Stephanie, and a brother, Mark. Oh, and my dad, Stephan. No matter how hectic things get, I can always count on seeing everyone at Sunday dinner at home.

When the plane hit I was where I love to be, at work. We got the call and began prepping trauma rooms and waiting for the flood of pain and misery we knew would soon wash over us, consuming us in the bliss of movement without thinking. I know that sounds weird, but it's pretty calming to just let your body react and take over in times like that…almost like a weird meditation.

My deepest desire is to save people, so wouldn’t sacrificing someone for it be a little counterproductive?

Li Dawny fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 23, 2016

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Li Dawny posted:

My grandma told me I had a knack for healing, and that I was blessed by the gods in that way, but I don’t think she knew the half of it. This guy is intense, but kinda fun sometimes, and he really knows his stuff.

36 Hours and counting -2

I sometimes overextend myself a bit too far, and can forget minor things like where I parked my car, or when I ate last. It hasn’t caused a major mistake at work yet, so I’m fine…right?

You know what, I’ll do it -2

Sometimes I can be a teensy bit overbearing when it comes to the whole “micro-managing” thing. It’s not that other people are bad at their jobs, I’m just better at mine.

Oh an NP, nice. Looks good Li Dawny. Has anybody ever hit you up for drugs or tried to convince you to write scripts? Patients who should know better, shady relatives, peripheral acquaintances, etc.? Can you also tell me about one of the classes you're taking this semester?

When Grandma said 'gods' did she ever elaborate on that at all or was it just general Gran-gran, possible ex-hippie-ness? If for instance Grandma Hunt's maiden name happened to be Agapitos or Papadakis this may be a relevant plot point. Would also work if her last name was Chang or M'beke too I suppose.

Speleothing posted:

I think I'm done editing for now. I've got to go out and make some artisinal soups for dinner and will answer any questions in a slightly half-hearted and condescending manner later tonight.

:golfclap: Does Hank have a smartphone or use any other mobile devices/media? With no mention of having an Etsy account, Pinterest (too lazy to make up gag names), etc. it's also possible that he's the analog kind of hipster. Is he? And if so where does he do his developing? If not, what kind (how expensive) of digital camera does he use?

Who owns/manages Follman's? It's not a corporate or even local chain, since it's an actual bakery used by people, built by people brick and mortar kind of place but is there like a grizzled old Mr. Follman who survived the Holocaust to come bake bread after fighting as a partisan (or his half-Korean adult daughter) or something?

Li Dawny
Apr 14, 2013

Oh an NP, nice. Looks good Li Dawny. Has anybody ever hit you up for drugs or tried to convince you to write scripts? Patients who should know better, shady relatives, peripheral acquaintances, etc.? Can you also tell me about one of the classes you're taking this semester?

When Grandma said 'gods' did she ever elaborate on that at all or was it just general Gran-gran, possible ex-hippie-ness? If for instance Grandma Hunt's maiden name happened to be Agapitos or Papadakis this may be a relevant plot point. Would also work if her last name was Chang or M'beke too I suppose.

I'm not a NP yet, just trying to be, so I can't write scrips. However, a big part of ER work is weeding out the drug seekers. It's actually covered in my medical psychology class, but we haven't gotten that far yet. Right now I'm just hoping to pass the ethics test I have next week, it's worth a pretty big chunk of my grade.

Grandma follows the "old ways" as my mom calls it. I guess we all do in a way, I wouldn't leave home without sage in my pocket, but that's more because the scent relaxes me than for the mystical properties that she claims it has.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Things are looking pretty good. There's a little less than a week until the deadline but there's 4-5 players and plenty of plot hooks/locations on the board to play around with already, so I can say with reasonable confidence the game will be ready to roll some time around the start of next month. If anybody else wants in I encourage you to get your characters in before then, otherwise I'll just go with what I've got and give priority to posted characters by date if I ever need more.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

:golfclap: Does Hank have a smartphone or use any other mobile devices/media? With no mention of having an Etsy account, Pinterest (too lazy to make up gag names), etc. it's also possible that he's the analog kind of hipster. Is he? And if so where does he do his developing? If not, what kind (how expensive) of digital camera does he use?

Who owns/manages Follman's? It's not a corporate or even local chain, since it's an actual bakery used by people, built by people brick and mortar kind of place but is there like a grizzled old Mr. Follman who survived the Holocaust to come bake bread after fighting as a partisan (or his half-Korean adult daughter) or something?

He's got an instagram, naturally. Uses a $1000 pentax dslr and has 3 lenses for it. But he's also got access to a darkroom that this girl Jennifer made from a walk-in closet and her medium-format camera, though she does all the actual developing work and he just helps.

Follman's Bakery was founded by Isaac Follman in the 30s, and run by his family for 40 years. But Jerry Voss & his wife (then-girlfirend) Irene bought 50% during the early 80s when Athena city was having huge crime problems and nobody wanted to come to the neighborhood. He really turned it around from a run-of-the-mill bread and pastry shop with a neat art-deco look into a destination for food lovers and the spot for gourmet sandwiches and artisan breads. Bob Follman (a lawyer) mostly stays out of the way and lets the checks come in, but his teenage son wants to learn the family business.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 25, 2016

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

And we're go-

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3770472

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Question, Puppies: Do you want us using dice rollers, or are you going to roll for us yourself?

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

I trust you to roll your own dice unless you prefer I do it. Just do the thing where you link your Orokos rolls or w/e when you do so I can keep track of the numbers if you do.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Been a little busy for me at work but my next post should be up some time later today/early tomorrow at the latest.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

For reference to what I think of when I imagine Decarabia laughing out loud try finding some soothing koala noises. Mating? Fighting? Calling for the extermination of everything that has fewer than 2-3 penises? Pretty much all the same to Mr. Koala imo.

Also re: alert messages the common rules ones are the same for everybody, the big three functions for your DDD are among the first ones you all get. Rex is just the first one to specifically look at them is all.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Trying to decide between two slightly related themes here,

or

There's a very important difference.

quote:

Sorry if I'm blowing off a plot hook, feel free to knock Rex back onto the proper path...it just seemed like the sort of thing he wouldn't get directly involved in. So far Rex is blissfully ignorant...

It's not a big deal, I'm leaving your starting scenes as open as possible for :iiam: reasons, short of committing suicide messily there are no 'wrong' moves here. Something interesting/useful/horrible will happen one way or the other.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Traveling for work and not very computer access-y atm so this took a while. Generally I'll try to wait for everybody to post between updates but don't stress it very hard if our schedules don't match well and you miss a few. Until you link up and start interacting with one another I can easily detach or freeze your scene until you're ready for it (i.e. some of you are about ready to move on past Late morning into Early afternoon and others aren't) and sync up your timelines whenever it happens.

Also Li Dawny that really was an unexpected and good idea to try and negotiate with them. Shame it didn't take though.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

I'm probably going to have some free time in the next few days so expect the next update by the end of the weekend/start of next week.

In the meantime here is a picture of an obese cat who can't believe this poo poo.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Wow I just realized you guys all picked up stuff this time around. Definitely wasn't a thing on my part, I swear. Anyway post is up but I have to make a few edits here and there for timing/scene which don't really impact anything currently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

I don't seem to have received a prompt?

• Locked thread