Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I dont own a car and the nearest 'real' grocery store is a few miles away, so grocery delivery is a real nice convenience and if it breaks down life becomes a bit more difficult. I can still borrow a friend's cart and go get stuff, its just harder and mass transit, while it exists here, isnt great.

My wife has mobility issues and would be absolutely hosed without delivery if I was incapacitated though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Lambert posted:

They got their own government bailout not from TARP funds. Ford had to be bailed out as well.
they got both, the bush admin lent the auto makers TARP money to bridge the presidential transition period and then they got a specific bailout after that

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

I filed taxes for 2014 - 2018 in one go (the IRS owes me money). That was almost two years ago and I still haven’t received my refund.

California, Idaho, and Michigan all sent me checks in a few months. :v:

I called the IRS a few months ago and they confirmed they received my paperwork and they were just severely backlogged.

this is by design, the GOP wants the IRS to be completely powerless to investigate people who cheat on their taxes

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

this is by design, the GOP wants the IRS to be completely powerless to investigate people who cheat on their taxes

No, just powerless against rich people. Poor people are easier and cheaper to audit so they will have the book thrown at them.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Rhesus Pieces posted:

No, just powerless against rich people. Poor people are easier and cheaper to audit so they will have the book thrown at them.

Makes sense, since Charles Rettig was a tax attorney that representative well-to-do clients before the IRS.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

Love to turn on Bloomberg for some background noise & the story they are talking about is someone throwing a hissy fit about their company's bond rating being downgraded to junk (Softbank in this case)

Definitely a good thing that will get people to not assume you're a child.

softbank is a malevolent force in the world, so thats some good news at least

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

ratbert90 posted:

I filed taxes for 2014 - 2018 in one go (the IRS owes me money). That was almost two years ago and I still haven’t received my refund.

California, Idaho, and Michigan all sent me checks in a few months. :v:

I called the IRS a few months ago and they confirmed they received my paperwork and they were just severely backlogged.
there's a 2-3 year limitation for claiming credit from the IRS and I'd suggest that you work with a preparer to protect your rights if possible

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I'd basically been inching towards left-wing authoritarianism for a couple years but the past month has put me there firmly.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I'd basically been inching towards left-wing authoritarianism for a couple years but the past month has put me there firmly.

I'm full blown tankie

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Mr Hootington posted:

I'm full blown tankie

welcome aboard!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/25/weekly-mortgage-applications-tank-29percent-as-coronavirus-stops-homebuyers.html

Apr 7, 2003

and they'll let the houses rot into the ground before they ever lower prices to reasonable levels to entice buyers.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I mean really in the wake of all this I've seen in all my lefty friends it's either full anarchist/syndicalism 'the state has failed, it's time to allow the local communities to organize alone' or hard leftie authority 'the state has to put the factory owners and landlords in loving jail and take over, command economy or fuckin bust' and welp guess I'm in the second camp!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

and they'll let the houses rot into the ground before they ever lower prices to reasonable levels to entice buyers.

me want house :(

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan

Mr Hootington posted:

I'm full blown tankie

fully automated luxury gay space communism

cornbread communism

raise hell and eat corn bread yee yee

Apr 7, 2003

It's okay, houses usually come with groundhogs though.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Red Baron posted:

fully automated luxury gay space communism

cornbread communism

raise hell and eat corn bread yee yee

Dip the cornbread in the blood of landlords and billionaires.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

sexpig by night posted:

I mean really in the wake of all this I've seen in all my lefty friends it's either full anarchist/syndicalism 'the state has failed, it's time to allow the local communities to organize alone' or hard leftie authority 'the state has to put the factory owners and landlords in loving jail and take over, command economy or fuckin bust' and welp guess I'm in the second camp!

what are we if we want the state to seize the factories and give them to the workers to run as a coop?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

What would it take to get a typical liberal to admit that The Market is not the best at allocating resources?

I’ve been pondering the collapse of Just-In-Time supply chains as an example where prioritizing the national interest and central planning would have been better, even in strictly economic terms. However I get a blanket response that a command economy is too inefficient.

I’m also having this argument with my Economist SO who is working 14 hour days calling firms across the country with government production orders. I feel like that should mean something! The Market didn’t have those ventilators ready and those plants didn’t retool themselves.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

PIZZA.BAT posted:

what are we if we want the state to seize the factories and give them to the workers to run as a coop?

I dunno what that is but I'm sure it's something, grab an AK and we'll knife fight and call eachother wrecker scum about this in 10 years I'm sure.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Frosted Flake posted:

What would it take to get a typical liberal to admit that The Market is not the best at allocating resources?

I’ve been pondering the collapse of Just-In-Time supply chains as an example where prioritizing the national interest and central planning would have better, even in strictly economic terms. However I get a blanket response that a command economy is too inefficient.

I’m also having this argument with my Economist SO who is working 14 hour days calling firms across the country with government production orders. I feel like that should mean something! The Market didn’t have those ventilators ready and those plants didn’t retool themselves.

There are dumpster diving Facebook groups with thousands of photos of stores sabotaging their own product before throwing it out because they can't suffer the iniquity of low-income or homeless people using it. I'm talking food waste, cutting clothing to ribbons, mixing makeup and shampoos into a soup, etc. Or just show them photos of Teslas rotting in the desert if they're a techno-utopian Musk worshipper.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Dip the cornbread in the blood of landlords and billionaires.

i prefer butter but we must all make sacrifices

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

I’ve been pondering the collapse of Just-In-Time supply chains as an example where prioritizing the national interest and central planning would have been better, even in strictly economic terms. However I get a blanket response that a command economy is too inefficient.

Tell him that since all large corporations operate under unelected command economies, if we want amazon-level efficiency in the government we need to structure things away from markets.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

Ask what percentage of GDP gets spent on advertising or duplicate goods. We waste an astounding amount of resources on producing and advertising near identical products while neglecting basic needs. Do we *really* need fifteen varieties of toothpaste? Are consumers really making an informed decision between Crest Super Whitening Max and Crest Ultra Bright Fresh? While it might be good to expose some luxury goods to market forces its frankly insane to run the entire economy around the idea

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Tunicate posted:

Tell him that since all large corporations operate under unelected command economies, if we want corporate efficiency in the government we need to structure things away from markets.

and besides that -- weren't all the "centrally planned economy is inefficient/impossible" talking points created before integrated circuits were a thing

like i believe those talking points had at least some reason and truth to them before ICs and networks existed, but since then they've just ossified into axiomatic articles of faith/fealty

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Nix Panicus posted:

Ask what percentage of GDP gets spent on advertising or duplicate goods. We waste an astounding amount of resources on producing and advertising near identical products while neglecting basic needs. Do we *really* need fifteen varieties of toothpaste? Are consumers really making an informed decision between Crest Super Whitening Max and Crest Ultra Bright Fresh? While it might be good to expose some luxury goods to market forces its frankly insane to run the entire economy around the idea

For a fun time grab some of these "varieties" and read the ingredient lists. A lot of them, even the ones from the same brand, are the exact same product just with different packaging.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

*presidentially*   fundamentals

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

For a fun time grab some of these "varieties" and read the ingredient lists. A lot of them, even the ones from the same brand, are the exact same product just with different packaging.

they periodically get sued for saying 'this ibuprofin is for headaches but THIS ONE is for backaches' when it's the same drat pill

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

computer components often ship where the factory produces tons and tons of perfectly good high end ones and they arbitrarily cripple some of them because that way they can sell at the low end too

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

(protoss voice) MY LIFE FOR NUMBER

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Tunicate posted:

they periodically get sued for saying 'this ibuprofin is for headaches but THIS ONE is for backaches' when it's the same drat pill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsojj6NMSs4

orly
Oct 2, 2005
Burn coffee for fuel in the ships. Burn corn to keep warm, it makes a hot fire. Dump potatoes in the rivers and place guards along the banks to keep the hungry people from fishing them out. Slaughter the pigs and bury them, and let the putrescence drip down into the earth.

There is a crime here that goes beyond denunciation. There is a sorrow here that weeping cannot symbolize. There is a failure here that topples all our success. The fertile earth, the straight tree rows, the sturdy trunks, and the ripe fruit. And children dying of pellagra must die because a profit cannot be taken from an orange. And coroners must fill in the certificate—died of malnutrition—because the food must rot, must be forced to rot.

The people come with nets to fish for potatoes in the river, and the guards hold them back; they come in rattling cars to get the dumped oranges, but the kerosene is sprayed. And they stand still and watch the potatoes float by, listen to the screaming pigs being killed in a ditch and covered with quick-lime, watch the mountains of oranges slop down to a putrefying ooze; and in the eyes of the people there is the failure; and in the eyes of the hungry there is a growing wrath. In the souls of the people the grapes of wrath are filling and growing heavy, growing heavy for the vintage.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Nix Panicus posted:

We’ve actually had that argument before. She said it’s an example of “freedom”. How or why it makes you “free” to choose Crest, Colgate or Arm and Hammer when so many are unable to afford them, I couldn’t tell you.

She went to a conservative private university and then worked for Cato in D.C so you can imagine how often and how flexibly “freedom” and “liberty” are used in our home.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Lol that stupid as gently caress legislation passed. Number won’t be going up for much longer when our insurance system collapses and dead people line the streets.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

worked for Cato

:sever:

You're welcome.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

how do they argue it's "inefficient"? wouldn't having dozens of different brands of identical products, each requiring their own overhead, be far more inefficient than just having one brand?

hell even with consumer electronics, it's kind of inefficient that there are multiple different phone OSes each mutually incompatible with each other. if that's not inefficiency idk what is

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
my small austere cato wedding

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

Lol that stupid as gently caress legislation passed. Number won’t be going up for much longer when our insurance system collapses and dead people line the streets.

The insurance companies are still posting huge profits through this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

so are the investors going to remember that they don't have an inexhaustible labor force of robots to make up for the fact that no one has a job anymore tomorrow after the report, or will we have to wait a bit for that to sink in